FIFA 07 (PS2/XBox/PC) - Current Gen

Re: EA Sports FIFA 2007

Just one little sentence to EA.

"Screw you guys,I'm going home"-Eric Cartman.

No SPL or Coca Cola championship,as I thought.

Thank god I never preordered.

Bye Bye EA,Its been almost nice knowing you.

jambotommy said:
Konami must be pissing themselves laughing at EA.

What an almighty fuck up.

Konami are in the same boat though it's not as if they are providing those missing teams is it?

Finaly i got time to test fifa07 cause your comments about how good is it..
For me is like other fifa. Arcadish, too fast, player movement is poor.

Like The_Knight said We9le is mile ahead. But
Fifa has some good points:
-moving wall in FK
-throwing
-chants
-commentators

4/10 Fifa like Fifa.

Again.... I think you are being too hard on it its not that bad! if you rate this at 4/10 what an earth was your rating for 06? this is miles better than that 1 playability and depth wise.

DJ

Yeah i dont know why they are rating it so bad, maybe wanting it to be bad as its a fifa. However like ive said before, i didnt see the point in it if they remove all the teams, its the combination of improved gameplay and teams and options that would get it to the level of pes and gameplay wise only it just isnt there yet. As i play with liverpool not actually having the lower leagues to play with isnt an issue if they make generic leagues for the cups and euro's like konami did for nippon challenge. Atm though its actually looks like pes has the better options and gameplay. Atleast they have shown an improvement on the current-gen games instead of fifa who are going backwards with this.

deftonez said:
But lets not even talk about the game engine, lets just talk about graphics.

Your explanation, although looking correct, is infact wrong. Its the game engine that takes the most time and is the important part, the graphics follew in a generic way. Your images are infact a correct representation of
the gameengine and not infact the graphics. To highlight this i could change the color of both images with photoshop and they would then be "different" from the original. This is infact what the graphics work is about. Event though they differ greatly as a 'engine' the work to change the colors in each one takes the same amount of time. What this means is that to make all the kits they dont need to draw the shirt, short and socks from the ground up each time, they just adjust the colour and add the crests/logo's etc (which for the most part they will already have anyway). Stadiums are a different matter as they are all individual 3d elements, however they will already have the base files (in 3ds max or another industry 3d program) for all the stadiums so they could adjust them. However they will likely be of a high quality and be downgraded for the actual game versions anyway, so again this could be little extra work.

So then it comes down to databasework, adding the stats for all the players in all the leagues. Now i dont know how accurate they are/were in the currentgen games, but i assume not very so again they can get away with doing the minimum and let the consumer edit this part to there own desire.

Simple fact is they can make a lot of money by doing half a job, something konami has also showed excellent skills in!

Exciting times are ahead IMO, for the football gaming fan. (thats what we should be, not a fanboy of one series, in any other walk of life it would be bigotry!)

With the next gen titles on the way, they will be closer to each other than ever before.

Now for me to save up for a 360. But by the time I have, PS3 will probably be out!

tiktiktiktik said:
Simple fact is they can make a lot of money by doing half a job, something konami has also showed excellent skills in!

haha true. funny how no one pointed out how KONAMI adds 3 new teams each year and no one complains.

like i said before, the real next-gen WE will have half the teams and half the stadiums it does now.

i wanna see you guys' reactions then. :D

At least FIFA's graphic engine on 360 looks next gen :) and it did for FIFA's first outing the kinda crap RTFWC.. 1st PES looks a like a slightly updated PS2 version. I dont mind dropping some teams if I can see a game looking that decent instead of looking dated and old like PS2 WE and PES do.

DJ

haha true. funny how no one pointed out how KONAMI adds 3 new teams each year and no one complains.

Atleast be correct, they may add 3 teams but the remove 3 at the same time. Ive been complaining about pes and their lack of development for sometime now, about 2 years i think so its got nothing to do with a fifa vs pes / ea vs konami fight. I just want a good game with a decent amount of options. Not too much to ask, although it does seem to look that way, as fifa was finally looking to have decent gameplay and then they take away their great options, and pes only has great gameplay as the rest is shite. Im hoping that even though fifa may lack team numbers they can atleast make a good single player mode as another year, what the 4th now?, of the same ML in pes isnt making me excited

I don't care how many teams there are, I don't buy games to look at pretty pictures and animations, I'm interested in gameplay, Pes is leagues ahead in this aspect.

If fifa can even equal that I'll be willing to drop PES/WE after 8 years.

zeemeister said:
I don't care how many teams there are, I don't buy games to look at pretty pictures and animations, I'm interested in gameplay, Pes is leagues ahead in this aspect.

If fifa can even equal that I'll be willing to drop PES/WE after 8 years.

exactly

tiktiktiktik said:
Atleast be correct, they may add 3 teams but the remove 3 at the same time.
Its called promotion and relegation. :roll:

RuneEdge said:
Its called promotion and relegation. :roll:

Think its more to do with replacing Interational teams that he was referrin to.

zeemeister said:
I don't buy games to look at pretty pictures and animations, I'm interested in gameplay, Pes is leagues ahead in this aspect.

I just don't get this - do you also still buy record albums instead of CD's or rent videocassettes and not DVD's? Is your television a 13" black & white and do you have a Commodore 64 computer with 2D 8bit graphics?
Seriously, playing an authentic looking game with realistic animations is just so much more pleasing, compelling and fun! If you really truly don't care if it's just stick figures kicking the ball around (as long as you get your gameplay), then I've got to believe you're probably in a very small minority here as most footy videogamers in this current age of technology want as complete of an immersive, accurate simulation & representation of the game they love as they can get.
I certainly can see the rationalization of sacrificing a bit of visual or audio flair for more gameplay but those pretty pictures & animations you refer to are what bring the gameplay and the entire gaming experience to life and we really shouldn't have to settle for shortcomings in either area with next gen capabilities.

Last edited:

Think its more to do with replacing Interational teams that he was referrin to.

Precisely, they havent "added" any teams for years, they just replace them with others. AEK athens were in it for awhile, but then they didtn do so well so they got replaced. If they do well for another few years they will be "added" again and konami will present it as a new element/improvement.

The PC version plays well enough ok and all. ball physics are better as are the shots on goal. It's an improvement probably the most you could do with the current gen engine though. EA said to us all that they have worked 2 years to develop and now make exclusive to the 360 (for a year) the new game engine.I've seen only the arena in action and the MS confrence in germany was very hard to see anything with so.... lets just see

JayD said:
Konami are in the same boat though it's not as if they are providing those missing teams is it?

Yeah,but I hang on to the fact that it may be worth buying just to play as my team,as I'm sure others do.

Lets face it,If I must play as my other team(Barcelona),then I'd MUCH rather play it on pes mate,if you know what I mean.

:) ;)

Bobo21 said:
I just don't get this - do you also still buy record albums instead of CD's or rent videocassettes and not DVD's? Is your television a 13" black & white and do you have a Commodore 64 computer with 2D 8bit graphics?
Seriously, playing an authentic looking game with realistic animations is just so much more pleasing, compelling and fun! If you really truly don't care if it's just stick figures kicking the ball around (as long as you get your gameplay), then I've got to believe you're probably in a very small minority here as most footy videogamers in this current age of technology want as complete of an immersive, accurate simulation & representation of the game they love as they can get.
I certainly can see the rationalization of sacrificing a bit of visual or audio flair for more gameplay but those pretty pictures & animations you refer to are what bring the gameplay and the entire gaming experience to life and we really shouldn't have to settle for shortcomings in either area with next gen capabilities.

you only qouted half of what I said. and completely blew it out of proportion

I reiterate if fifa equals pes in gameplay then I am sold. As fifa has the better aesthetics (teams, commentary, licences, stadiums, etc) which are also important but not as important as gameplay, not for me at least.

I liked the PC demo but the PS2 demo felt a bit more like FIFA06 again.
The X360's new engine better be good.

I like how tricks are much harder to do now. Just flicking the stick doesnt do anything, you have to do combinations for ALL your tricks which makes it harder to spam.

PS. This game actually has a really cool Rabona thats not shown in the trailer.

I think judging by the squads (R Van Nistelrooy at United and no Carrick) that the PS2 demo is an EARLIER build from a prototype version. The PC version does feel different and better and I for one am beginning to love it! Odd thing for a person who loves Winning Eleven 10 to say.

DJ

I have to say I like the gameplay too, is not better than WE but is good. I still hate the player models and animations though.. They're so FIFAish.

Yes this version of FIFA isnt quite up to WE10's standards and believe me I rate WE10 as the best football game ive ever played! But its getting mighty close,I find the FIFA demo enjoyable, quite realistic and pleasing and it plays a solid game of football and doesnt seem to be full of gimmicks like previous FIFA's were. (Off the ball control and all players have a great first touch spring to mind FIFA 04 and 05!)

DJ

I think it does come down to the total package. Sure, gameplay is by far the most important factor for the majority of us but there comes a point where if the gameplay is satisfying it doesn't have to be better than a rival game. FIFA 07 gameplay is at last good enough for me not to worry about PES/WE being better in that area. Throw in the leagues, licenses, uniforms, etc. and it more than makes up for the gap in gameplay. I want an authentic experience and the better gameplay in PES/WE is hurt by feeling like you're playing in an alternate universe. Things like having about 30 people in the crowd playing as Man Utd against Arsenal in WE9/PES5 doesn't exactly make you feel the atmosphere!

tiktiktiktik said:
Your explanation, although looking correct, is infact wrong.Its the game engine that takes the most time and is the important part, the graphics follew in a generic way. Your images are infact a correct representation of
the gameengine and not infact the graphics. To highlight this i could change the color of both images with photoshop and they would then be "different" from the original. This is infact what the graphics work is about. Event though they differ greatly as a 'engine' the work to change the colors in each one takes the same amount of time. What this means is that to make all the kits they dont need to draw the shirt, short and socks from the ground up each time, they just adjust the colour and add the crests/logo's etc (which for the most part they will already have anyway). Stadiums are a different matter as they are all individual 3d elements, however they will already have the base files (in 3ds max or another industry 3d program) for all the stadiums so they could adjust them. However they will likely be of a high quality and be downgraded for the actual game versions anyway, so again this could be little extra work.

So then it comes down to databasework, adding the stats for all the players in all the leagues. Now i dont know how accurate they are/were in the currentgen games, but i assume not very so again they can get away with doing the minimum and let the consumer edit this part to there own desire.

What I said was more than correct, what you said has nothing to do with the construction of a 3d MDL. Since you think the making of a 3d model of a person from one game engine to another game engine is as simple as "changing a color" and then its different............ Lets see you take a game that already has a game engine(so most of the work is already done). Make a face for PES, not just the texture, and don't take a generic face MDL and change it to be a totally new face MDL, I want you to make a face MDL from scratch (meaning you are looking at nothing but a blank screen in a 3d MDL'ing program). Takes some time doesnt it, if you even know where to start......... Sure, now you have a semi-base MDL to edit later(for other faces), but even 3d MDL editing is nowhere near as quick and simple as a texture replacment(or as you say "changing colors"). As for kits......sure, once you have each kit template, kits do become almost as simple as "changing the colors". But I was never talking about textures, I was talking about 3d MDL's, which do take time and are not simple. Since you didnt grasp it, the reason I used two totally different images (one I drew in paint within 2 seconds and a picture of real art) and didnt just take one and change the color was to represent the great difference in metaphorical "3d rendering engines". One was black and white and only allowed for a simple stick figure, while the other allowed for high quality people and color. And the question was to ask, which do you think took longer to make. The answer would be the one that allows for more complex things, thus takes more time. Let me use another example since the first one was misunderstood. Between a 100 pcs Car Model or a 1,000 pcs Car Model(with instructions, which is your metaphorical "game engine" thats already in place), which takes more time to construct(excluding paint and decals)? :roll:

I hope in 07 when you sprint, it actually looks and feels like your moving a bit faster.. ffs in The World Cup game its like watching marathon runners on their final run-in... so annoying..

The right stick moves are kind of pointless because if you repeat the same movement on the stick it does different actions/feints, so you don't know what to expect.

When i'm in control of Ronaldinho (even though i played the demo lots of times now), i still can't feel like "THE ONE" like i do in WE10.

Teams don't seem to play with their styles. (In WE10, Barça kills you with short and fast passes, 1-2s, etc.) Not in FIFA...

Back
Top Bottom