FIFA 07 (PS2/XBox/PC) - Current Gen

Re: EA Sports FIFA 2007

I was only encouraged to download and play the Fifa07 demo, after I read many of your reviews (esp. Wolf's) about the game being, "more like PES"...."will crush PES this year".... However, it turned out to be an improved version of every year's same crap. That's my impression: 4/10.

Dull predictable gameplay. Player turns look wrong. Although Fifa seems to have a bigger pitch, it's only a impression you get from a video. In reality, the ball -in Fifa- travels between both sides in a flash. In PES, it could take a lot more to build an attack, or just in real life, you could send your forwards running from a long pass all the sudden into space.

There is no sense of accomplishment when scoring the goals in Fifa (or wasting chances for that matter). And the goals that are actually scored are "ugly". I scored 3 goals, conceded one, in my 1st game, and all 4 goals came after meaningless rebounds from the keeper followed by an unrealistic sliding kick beside the keeper... with the commentary screaming, "A truly spectacular goal"....

Players run as if they're either playing on sand, or have sandbags on their legs; sand is involved in either ways. And you can't really talk about irresponsive players in PES, before you've played Fifa07.... players will run straight across corner and throw-in lines even if you tap the opposite direction before they reach the lines by ages.

No comment on the faces, how does that even compare to PES's faces?

I closed the game, started WE9: Korean Liveware Evolution, and played one of the best games ever. Scored 4 amazing goals, and all were crucial, amazing looking, and ech one generated an well-deserved, satisfying, "YESSS".

We could complain about WE/PES for ages, but that's just because the more perfect the game becomes, the more obvious its faults are. However, each fault in the game, has to be at least multiplied 10X in its Fifa equivalent. That's my honest feeling of the game.

That only good thing about the game is the way it looks before the match starts i.e. the menus. Whoptody doo... not enough for me.

The_Knight said:
I was only encouraged to download and play the Fifa07 demo, after I read many of your reviews (esp. Wolf's) about the game being, "more like PES"...."will crush PES this year".... However, it turned out to be an improved version of every year's same crap. That's my impression: 4/10.

Dull predictable gameplay. Player turns look wrong. Although Fifa seems to have a bigger pitch, it's only a impression you get from a video. In reality, the ball -in Fifa- travels between both sides in a flash. In PES, it could take a lot more to build an attack, or just in real life, you could send your forwards running from a long pass all the sudden into space.

There is no sense of accomplishment when scoring the goals in Fifa (or wasting chances for that matter). And the goals that are actually scored are "ugly". I scored 3 goals, conceded one, in my 1st game, and all 4 goals came after meaningless rebounds from the keeper followed by an unrealistic sliding kick beside the keeper... with the commentary screaming, "A truly spectacular goal"....

Players run as if they're either playing on sand, or have sandbags on their legs; sand is involved in either ways. And you can't really talk about irresponsive players in PES, before you've played Fifa07.... players will run straight across corner and throw-in lines even if you tap the opposite direction before they reach the lines by ages.

I closed the game, started WE9: Korean Liveware Evolution, and played one of the best games ever. Scored 4 amazing goals, and all were crucial, amazing looking, and ech one generated an well-deserved, satisfying, "YESSS".

We could complain about WE/PES for ages, but that's just because the more perfect the game becomes, the more obvious its faults are. However, each fault in the game, has to be at least multiplied 10X in its Fifa equivalent. That's my honest feeling of the game.

That only good thing about the game is the way it looks before the match starts i.e. the menus. Whoptody doo... not enough for me.

WOW!...Interesting review.

I think that guy personally just hates FIFA, it isnt that bad! when I first tried the demo I was like WTF? but after playing it and playing it and playing it I realised it does have what other FIFA's lacked which is depth and some realism too. Its actually to me a bit like WE10 but you have more freedom to play a passing game of football.

I wouldnt say its a 9/10 game like OPS2M said but I would give it a respectable 8

DJ

Holio said:
How can they fit so many leagues in a DS cart and not a 360 game, it's pure EA lazy cant be arsed this year, lets do it next year approach. Consider a company the size of EA, who let me remind you will be releasing their 3rd, yes their 3rd football/soccer game on the XB360 within a year cant have got enough programmers together to flesh out the title properly. Laziness and the hope you buy this years and next years product which will have the other teams and more stadiums etc...........

Makes me sick :(
People who have no clue what they are blabbing about make me sick, so let me explain this. I don't know why you and others who have made similar comments have made it painfully obvious you don't know the first thing about game development. Yes, this is their third game for the 360, but RTWC and WC06 were nothing but the current-gen game engine with updated graphics. FIFA 07 is built from the ground up. Which you guessed it, means every part of the game must also be built from the ground up. But lets not even talk about the game engine, lets just talk about graphics.

DS
fifa-soccer-07-20060829053617598.jpg

Notice how almost every player look s the same and also take a few moments to take in the horrible super low-poly graphics. No wonder they can fit all that crap on a DS cart, because its super low-poly crap.

Xbox
fifa-soccer-07-20060828033746987.jpg

Again, take a look at the low-poly characters.

Xbox360
fifa-soccer-07-20060907023200045.jpg

Notice the high-poly and extremely detailed characters.

Do you grasp yet that it takes a shit load more time for a 3d artist to make the 360 characters than it would to make the DS ones, and even the xbox ones? I hope so but if not, let me end with this question.

Image 1
225758_untitled.JPG

Image 2
225830_MCISdt_1024.JPG

Out of image 1 and image 2, which do you think took longer to draw?

And if any developer was lazy with this years football games, I would more than give that honor to Konami. Who, might I add, didnt build anything from the ground up, but only ported the current game with not even that much better graphics. But of course, Konami fanboys are going to call EA, who did build this years game from the ground up........lazy.:roll:

csaunders said:
well that is your loss, the stutter bug has in no way, made the game unplayable... after awhile you dont even notice it... endless hours of patching and burning, are you for real dude? cause i dont see any of your work posted in the download section, so i dont know what is taking up all of your time... patching your game does not take alot of time..

Unplayable for ME is what I believe my quote said, and if you check this thread: http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=30885&highlight=we10+stutter you'll see that the degree of frequency and severity varied widely amongst many in this forum depending on their hardware & software so what might have been a minor issue for you could have been (and was IMO) pretty major for me.
And you're absolutely right in stating that patching a single game does not take a lot of time, but when you've been patching every release of the game, both WE & PES and all the in-between incarnations as well (like J-League, WE-FE, WE-LE, WEI, etc.) for over 6 years and often end up patching each one several times over as more & better patches come along, then you're talking about a lot of time...endless hours of time.
I'm an older gamer with a full life outside of videogames and I just don't have the time to do Konami's work for them especially when the end product offers us the same dam competitions & league format (or lack thereof) year after year after year. I'm simply sick of their indifferent approach to a fervent fanbase and refuse to be a Konami fanboy and apologist for their lack of 'evolution' in this series simply because they have a great gameplay engine (just my personal humble O, so don't take it personally) ;)

Last edited:

In that last pic deftones, they havent even got the Teamgeist ball right, if you look at it, it's only the effin replique ball instead of the official match ball............. ;)

All I'm saying is that for prob close to year and half- two years EA have known what a XB360 can do, and well while they maybe trying to produce each player as real to life like as they can, well this time it will be a first, I mean in previous versions they had players skin colour wrong, old kits and numerous other problems. EA is such a HUGE games developer it wouldnt be beyond them to get it done, whereas next year it will have all the leagues etc and options, then two years from now, its a redone engine and some other new gimick.

I will try FIFA and give it a go, and it doesnt really matter to me as my team will be in the full 360 game, but I feel for followers of teams who wont be in the game. The way I see it, it's a little shoddy...........

just like deftonesmx17 said,

the next-gen ver is a whole seperate game from the current ones.

everything has to be built new. the player models, the faces, the stadiums, the textures, etc.

they can't just import everything from the Xbox1 version and viola!

As long as the game has all the top teams and top stadiums, it'll be a solid base for the next-years version.

Obviously you can't expect KONAMI to include all the 200 teams in the next-gen PS3 ver ( or maybe since its only 200 MAYBE - knowing KONAMI) and all the stadiums won't make it either.

Expect the same downsizement of features.

Hell, knowing KONAMI they might as well just port the PS2 ver so...

I think we're asking for a bit too much for a first installment on a new console.
Complain next year, guys.

I played the FIFA Demo like I do every year, clinging to a hope that EA nail it this year, and although I think this years FIFA is the most PESesque, it simply didn't improve enough for me to buy both games this year. (haven't owned FIFA and PES together since 03)

Although the animation was improved it still hasn't grasped that feeling that Konami have got, when a shot comes in you hold your breath and wait to see how it's going to turn out just like watching REAL football.

Despite FIFA's new controls and animations I just didn't get that from any of the shots I took or were taken against me, it was just 'there' without emotion.

Maybe one more year for FIFA, they are getting closer, albeit slowly.

Hmmm.. seams like most people would be happy with just the top 50 teams say for the next gen PS3, maybe Konami or EA will just have a random game generator and do away with the ML and rest of leagues coz it's too much work to transfer across. Do most people just play single games, if so I guess as long as players are spitting images of them selves and the boots and kit are exact most will be happy...

As long as it plays a great game of footy then I'm sold. It's quiet funny how a lot on here are now slagging EA for using less teams when for years people have been saying the amount of teams and licences don't matter and it's the game that's important when FIFA fans threw that at PES fans.

The job was obviously too big for EA and I'm sure next installment will see a return to norm.

But as I said if EA have nailed this new engine and it plays well I'm getting this game.

RuneEdge said:
I think we're asking for a bit too much for a first installment on a new console.

Why?

Sorry but I think that's apologistic bullshit, if a consumer is expected to pay $40 or whatever they should get a full featured version of the game they're buying, not some diluted knock off that lazy, greedy publishers have rushed out of the door because they want to take advantage of moronic people with more money than sense in their hands.

Personally I'd rather carry on playing PS2 games for a year or two more until the 360 has reached the point where publishers are publishing complete games rather then completely taking the fucking piss out of gamers who are the ones to put them where they are in the first place.

Placebo said:
Why?

Sorry but I think that's apologistic bullshit, if a consumer is expected to pay $40 or whatever they should get a full featured version of the game they're buying, not some diluted knock off that lazy, greedy publishers have rushed out of the door because they want to take advantage of moronic people with more money than sense in their hands.

Personally I'd rather carry on playing PS2 games for a year or two more until the 360 has reached the point where publishers are publishing complete games rather then completely taking the fucking piss out of gamers who are the ones to put them where they are in the first place.

Exactly what he said deftones............... ;)

I do feel that its drip feed from EA, I mean whos to say that in a few months time there wont be a DL that will have more teams or leagues etc, and guess what, we'll have to use the effin MS points to get it if we want it. Without the rest of the English league set up, you can be sure that the FA Cup and League Cup wont be in the season like they normally are. RUUUUBBBIIIISSSSSHHHHHHHHHH.

Holio said:
Exactly what he said deftones............... ;)

I do feel that its drip feed from EA, I mean whos to say that in a few months time there wont be a DL that will have more teams or leagues etc, and guess what, we'll have to use the effin MS points to get it if we want it. Without the rest of the English league set up, you can be sure that the FA Cup and League Cup wont be in the season like they normally are. RUUUUBBBIIIISSSSSHHHHHHHHHH.

Not meaning to start an argument but why do you play PES then? No lower leagues there. All I'm saying if the gameplay is good then that's the main thing. It seems, even though IT COULD BE, EA bull, that the new engine has a lot of stats and calculations going on so it could of been a very time consuming process. From a business point of view it could of taken half way into the season to release a complete game then they miss out on a lot of money and the new version could have been almost due. We have to remember they are a company, companies make money so obviously it's not only the fans interest they have at heart.

JayD said:
Not meaning to start an argument but why do you play PES then? No lower leagues there. All I'm saying if the gameplay is good then that's the main thing. It seems, even though IT COULD BE, EA bull, that the new engine has a lot of stats and calculations going on so it could of been a very time consuming process. From a business point of view it could of taken half way into the season to release a complete game then they miss out on a lot of money and the new version could have been almost due. We have to remember they are a company, companies make money so obviously it's not only the fans interest they have at heart.

I had stated earlier it means nothing to me that there is no lower leagues in the game, I'm lucky that my team is in Konami's game, West Ham, however I did play FIFA when the Hammers werent in the game, and thus got used to playing a full league season, gaining promotion and winning cups etc that come about at the correct time of a season. I mean without lower league teams, Cup games would be meaningless, well thats how I see it.

I understand its a business and we are all just consumers, but like last years, so many games were just graphical makeovers and EA cashing in on people looking for games to play on their shiny new console, now here was are almost a year on, we're getting more of a FIFA game, but not a complete one. EA, if they really wanted, could put money into a console themselves and become an exclusive publisher, thats how much clout they have, if they wanted, they could collapse the videogame market as we know it.

All I'm trying to say is that I think EA are pulling a fast one, sure we all want a FIFA game, but with the other versions coming out first and with everything added, you know that EA are hoping for double sales, i.e. people buying both copies. I myself would happily buy a copy on DS and 360 if they turn out to be the decent games everyone says they are. Just feel sorry for the lower league fans, hell even SPL fans......... it just seems abit off.

The_Knight said:

I couldn't agree more!!!And yes WE9 LEK is the answer (good taste mate) :thumbup:

WEtongelre said:

H-O-U-S-E O-F W-A-X

Originally Posted by The_Knight

Agree. Hoping 360 version is better.

airjoca said:
H-O-U-S-E O-F W-A-X
Jesus wept! In my day, we'd have been over the fucking moon to see in-game footballers look like waxwork models of themselves!! Surely that's a good thing?! If you're going to criticise the graphics then I'm sorry but the game we're all playing at the moment looks like a Disney film in comparison, there's no realism about the faces at all (at least not the default ones, every year the "Alan Shearer" face looks more and more like a penguin).

Interesting to see how people's opinion on the demo is so widely different, but then I'm bored of winning the same competitions over and over, whereas some people play multiplayer 99% of the time and so wouldn't notice the repetitiveness I have to endure. Maybe the multiplayer lovers will all stick with WE and the guys who play single player just as often will be more inclined to switch to FIFA.

What are we even discussing here?

Lets not start another shit. Please move on.

There's a new WINNING ELEVEN 10 SAMOLIAN CUP EPISODE III coming out in Japan next week.

First I thing EA should do is to slow the gameplay now its way too fast. That gives FIFA its arcade feeling among other things. Second they need to make shooting much better. In FIFA 07 pc demo i can get to places where in PES5 would be easy to make great goal because of the great shooting it has. third when the gameplay is slower game naturally needs better control of the player with the ball, in PES that has been around since forever, there is still too much delay in moves and the moves could be done smarter. I´m pretty pleased in the other gameplay elements FIFA has this year. Graphics are good enough for me, as i only care how players look in gameplay(not how they look in closeups) im happy with PS2 graphics in that sense. I hope EA and Konami would concentrate on animations(more variety, smooth transitions ect) so when you play it looks more real.So for FIFA 07 Xbox 360 i wish 1. Better Shooting. 2. Better Dribbling. 3. Slower gameplay.

Placebo said:
Why?

How about this for an idea. Don't buy it if you dont like it!
Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. Why would you put extra effort into a game if its only gonna get you £40 per sale anyway? And if you know you can get away with it, why should you care?

Imagine how much the Manager Mode is gonna suck with the lack of leagues and being able to pick a top side from the moment you start playing. I'm as pissed off as you are but thats just the way it goes.

Back
Top Bottom