Everton Thread

Re: AN EVERTON VIEW.......

yeah I'm weird... compared to your posts..... damn... and my crime was replying to post here...

MACCA'S A BLUE!

Sir Paul McCartney has once again reminded everyone that he is an Evertonian!

There has often been much speculation and banter about Macca's footballing allegiance but he admitted on local radio that he is very much a Toffee!

The legendary former Beatle will be playing a concert at Anfield in June and although he is looking forward to that, he credited his father with the fact that he's an Everton supporter.

McCartney told Citytalk's Phil and Kim Breakfast Show: "It is always lovely for me to go back to Liverpool and play for the home crowd. I am looking forward to that, it should be cool, even though I am an Everton fan officially - when it comes to the crunch, my Dad was born in Everton."

To hear one of the all-time greats of the music world nail his blue colours to the mast.

Sort the officals out!!

Can anyone explain how William Gallas was not guilty of violent conduct on Saturday but Mikel Arteta was against Arsenal? Perhaps Nani should have crumpled in agony . Seems to be the only way to get a reaction these days....pisses me off, that ref last night had a howler...:tumble:

efcbanner.png

Seventh Heaven?

David_Moyes__Everto_201727s.jpg

David Moyes admits entry into the last 16 of the Uefa Cup is not a foregone conclusion.The blues are looking for a seveth straight win in the competition.

The Blues take a two-goal lead into the second leg at Goodsion against SK Brann on Thursday, courtesy of Leon Osman and Victor Anichebe.

Yet the Everton chief is urging his side they still have a job to do.

He told evertonfc.com: “I can’t lie and tell you we don’t have a chance.

“If you’d have given me 2-0 before the game I would have said fantastic but there is still 90 minutes to be played. We have seen football games turned around very quickly.

“I have got to make sure that doesn’t happen and I taking precaution telling everybody it is an important game and we have to do the job correctly.”

Last week’s victory in Norway set a club-record sixth consecutive win in Europe and Moyes is buoyed by the confidence throughout the squad for Uefa Cup matches.

“I have found in all the games we have had to make alterations,” he explained.

“They maybe small ones and not always noticeable to the eye - none more so than the first game against Metalist (Kharkiv) – by the end of the game I was mentally drained trying to make changes.

Fully Fit Squad!

efc__1203519376_squad.jpg

David Moyes has a fully fit squad to choose from ahead of the second leg with SK Brann with the exception of Anthony Gardner.

The loan signing is ineligible after playing in the Uefa Cup for Tottenham earlier this season.

Mikel Arteta is back after overcoming a groin injury, which kept the midfielder out of the 2-0 first leg win in Bergen.

Steve Pienaar is recalled to the squad after suffering an ankle problem whilst on African Cup of Nations duty with South Africa

And Thomas Gravesen makes a welcome return following a knee injury sustained in January.

Moyes told evertonfc.com: “I have a healthy squad apart from Anthony Gardner.

“This is only the second time this season the squad has all been fit.”

Everton squad: Howard, Wessels, Hibbert, Neville, Lescott, Yobo, Jagielka, Baines, Valente, Carsley, Osman, vd Meyde, Arteta, Pienaar, Gravesen, Cahill, Fernandes, Yakubu, Vaughan, Johnson, Anichebe

Cahill Wants Champions League "The Future Looks Bright"

efc__1203526587_tim.jpg

Tim Cahill insists Everton are building towards a rightful place in the Champions League.

The Australian international currently finds himself playing for an Everton side involved in the Uefa Cup, and he reckons that the Blues have a squad of players who wouldn't be out of place in the Champions League.

Since manager David Moyes’ arrival in 2002, Everton have broken into the top four of the Premier League and had spells in both European competitions, with varying success.

“Over the last four years the club has done something special and the club isn’t going backward or sideways, it’s really going forward.

We have to show SK Brann respect

37.jpg

Hopefully Everton will show SK Brann the proper amount of respect tonight, with David Moyes already stating that he plans to play what he thinks is more or less his strongest line-up. It’s great to see him talking about picking from a virtually full squad too.

Everton have done superbly well to remain in the top four without the players who have been over to the African Nations Cup, and it would be good to see even Steven Pienaar get some time on the pitch tonight.

Barring some sort of utter madness then it’s difficult to see them having any problems against the Norwegians, who looked very pedestrian in the home leg.

They caused a few problems, thanks their physical approach and a dreadful pitch, but on the whole they looked no better than an enthusiastic Championship side.

If Everton do progress, as they should, then it seems likely that they will face Fiorentina in the next round. At one time the prospect of playing a side from the top regions of Serie A would have been a daunting one, but the Italian league clearly isn’t as strong as it used to be. And really the Toffees should fear no one in this competition. The likes of Atletico Madrid and Bayern Munich are big names but they have hardly set the competition on fire.

If anyone, Tottenham look the team to avoid, and we already know that we are a match for them.

Last edited:

Looking forward to this game tonight at a sell-out goodison park 2-0 up from the first leg and brann are playing mind games saying it would be silly of them to even think off causing an upset, well as we all know football is a funny old game , a game of two halfs and all that bollox meaning if brann were to nab an early one things might be a bit tence ha! Been there before eh blueboys, any way heres to a good game a good result a seventh straight win in the competition and progress through to the last 16 where we will probaly face Fiorentina , fingers crossed..[-o<

Yeah I am looking forward to his - good luck Toffees!

Is the Bayern Munich v Aberdeen match on? I really wanna see Aberdeen through!

EDIT: Oooh it is! Setanta Sports 1 - coverage starts at 17:30!

ragin im working for this one hope its not a scud as the last game i worked was home to the mentalists!!!!
COYB same again will do me, yak and ossie

‘Everton to pay tribute to a founding figure.’
Extracts from’ The Evertonian’ – February 2008 - issue 161
Everton FC and Liverpool FC hope to combine to restore the grave of the Revd Ben Swift Chambers, the Methodist minister who was a key figure in the clubs’ formation. The neglected grave was discovered in the Yorkshire village of Shepley by Peter Lupson while researching the church roots of famous football clubs for his book, ‘Thank God for Football.’

Bill Kenwright and Rick Parry both responded positively to the suggestion that the two clubs should combine to restore Chambers’ grave and re-dedicate it at a joint service of commemoration.

Reverend Ben Chambers joined the Methodist church in 1869. He was eventually appointed circuit superintendent and minister of St Domingo Chapel in the Everton district of Liverpool on July 1st, 1877. He was a great lover of cricket and after only a couple of months he had persuaded members of the Young Men’s Bible Class to set up St Domingo Cricket Club.

A year later in 1878 the St Domingo cricketers felt it would be a good idea to take up Association Football during the winter months to keep fit. This was common attitude at the time. Association Football was still in its infancy and was regarded as little more than an opportunity for winter exercise by members of cricket clubs. The members found the football very enjoyable and began to take it seriously. They called themselves St Domingo Football Club in the winter months.

Soon they were the best team in Stanley Park and began to attract players from other churches. Within a year the team was no longer wholly representative of the St Domingo chapel and it was decided to rename the football section of their cricket club Everton after the district in which they lived.

Everton grew more and more successful and in 1884 opened a new stadium called Anfield. Success followed and in 1891 the club became the champions of the Football League’s First Division, the top flight in England.

A year later, there was a split in the ranks. The club’s landlord and president, John Houlding, had increased the rent on the Anfield stadium to such a level that the majority of the committee rebelled and Houlding promptly expelled them from Anfield, intending to run the club under the Everton name without them.

But the exiled Evertonians appealed to the Football Association, claiming they were rightful heirs to the Everton name. Their appeal was upheld and Houlding was forced to find a different name for the club he wanted to run at Anfield. He chose Liverpool. The Evertonians meanwhile migrated to the Walton district where they built Goodison.’

(Chambers family re restoration please contact Peter Lupson – lupsonp@yahoo.co.uk)
I believe the above story is perfectly timed and highlights the urgency required to re-examine the use of Stanley Park by Liverpool FC. Stanley Park is hallowed ground and should be used by either both clubs or neither. It is the spiritual home of football in our city, our roots.

Both clubs should be entitled to keep their souls intact and therefore both clubs have equal rights to Stanley Park. In fact I cannot think of any other city in the world with two or more football teams with a greater history and tradition.

This then poses a number of questions –

Planning permission refused for Everton FC;
Planning permission granted to Liverpool FC
Numerous rumours abound as to why we did not get permission and Liverpool did but in light of the above article surely this should be investigated and proper answers given as to why one club was chosen over the other.

A public enquiry
Is there history and precedent so that a complaint could be lodged with the Government, House of Lords or European courts of Law as to who has rights to Stanley Park considering the historic significance to both clubs history?
Shared stadium
Now and the bigger picture – next 100 years. The decision to share overshadows other proposals as this is a unique opportunity to re-enforce the totally unique story that is already attached to both clubs over 100+ years . Our birth re-affirms our place in global football as one of the founder cities of Association Football, with the most unique story – from our roots to present day. Not just domestically or across Europe but unique in global football. It reads like a fictional thriller and will draw millions of fans from all over the world to the stadium – Mecca of football, Holy Grail? Plus the National Museum of Football in Preston is within an hour. Add in the The Beatles and you have a worldwide attraction for music and football.

The two most successful teams in English football, the oldest league in the world. Liverpool have a larger fan base in the Far East, for example, who will visit but they will also visit the whole stadium and enjoy our museum and discover the truth and take that information home with them. Take our Singapore blue from the ToffeeWeb Mailbag who is an Everton fan because he did not want to be a ‘sheep’ and follow his friends who all picked Man U, Arsenal etc because they were on the TV more often. He looked into the history of Everton and new he was ‘born’ - a true blue. Once people know the history they become intrigued and excited.

Marketing a shared stadium
It would be a dream ticket, a dream deal, the ‘real’ deal of the century. How many revenue streams are there to exploit? Birth, history, supporters, Wembley finals in the 80s, blue and white everywhere, one bedroom blue, the other red, football tourists, tourists in general who see the stadium as part of a Liverpool City tour.

Grow with the city – stadium used every week, concerts in the summer, full hotels, bars, transport etc – all of which keeps underlining and growing the name of both clubs and the city. And above football this is all our city.

TV documentaries re the restoration of the grave but also the whole history of the clubs and how they are intertwined over 100+ years – add in a shared stadium and you have a brilliant story to sell around the world. When tourists do visit and stay in the city and mix with locals they will then be able to understand the passion and history and pass it on.

One of best stadiums in world – Liverpool as the city now the focus of world football where it should be – not Manchester, London or Madrid.

Re-affirm our history and also generate money from all of the above – pot of gold.

Stadium design.
Two main ends behind goals: Everton’s end – gates opposite Goodison; Liverpool’s end – gates facing Anfield. Away supporters on the side. Both ‘home’ ends will then attract the singers etc. If you do not want to sit behind the goal then pick a place – when either club is away would we vandalise our own ground when a brother or sister might support the other team? We can police it ourselves.

Colour of seats can be worked out. Therefore each team gets an L shape – one end and one main stand – equal numbers of seats taking into account away fans. Dixie Dean statue one side – Bill Shankly the other. Both teams’ museums. Trophies and memorabilia. Everton ‘firsts’. Moore’s’ family. Plus the ex players and on and on.

Money.
How can Everton FC fund their share? Tell the same story to investors – present the possibilities in terms of global domination as the two most famous clubs in the world with the totally unique story – how can that not attract investors? Would Chang invest more money as they see the long term opportunities? Just one example. Better people than me will see hundreds of ways and means to attract investment with a dream package.

Infrastructure there or ready to go in
This would have a major economic impact on the clubs themselves, local area and city. North West Development Agency has offered money only if we share – they can see the potential. I am only scratching the surface of what could be achieved...

Identity
How can we loose an identity that is already over 100 years old by going back to our roots and place of birth? Our identity is passed down from generation to generation and will only be reaffirmed as more and more supporters understand our roots. As experts all over the world discuss the loss of football in the local community and its identity amongst local supporters, we would deepen our roots further and grow them stronger along with major growth of the team through marketing. Our identities would become deeper and stronger.

Rivalry will still be fierce.
Most passionate and knowledgeable fans in world. One of most passionate cities in the world. One of best stadiums in world, most visited stadiums in world. Most earning stadiums in world. Educate the world – city of Liverpool, two teams, two cathedrals, The Beatles. 70,000 plus supporters in the ‘old’ days for a derby back again. Keep both teams community-based where they belong. Engrained in folklore within 10 to 20 years around the globe. Links with other clubs, ie, Barcelona...

Next step in our unique history?
Kirkby??? – After all of the above why is Kirkby even on the table?

Resentment
Pride comes before a fall as they say – Scouse Blues and Reds are the reason other clubs around the world envy us – we are in the same family – live in the same houses. The implications of not sharing are far too deep and disturbing even if we re-develop Goodison – they will have Stanley Park. It is sacrilege.

Even if you disagree sharing a stadium, you cannot possible support the scandalous decision to allow Liverpool sole permission to build on Stanley Park. To let Liverpool FC go ahead with Stanley Park would be an insult to St Domingo Football Club. They do not have the right. Only the two clubs sharing a stadium have the right.

Not only would it be scandalous for Liverpool to be allowed to go ahead but by not sharing both clubs will miss out on the one-off golden opportunity that presents itself. An opportunity which is too good to miss; historically, morally and for the future.

If we can unite to recognise our roots and birth and restore the Revd Ben Swift Chambers grave then we can unite to complete our circle of history. Recognised domestically, across Europe and globally, as having the most unique football clubs, fans, city and history in the world. The spiritual home of both clubs.

St Domingo (Nike) Stadium?
Stanley Park (Nike) Stadium?

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/comm...bmissionID=5963

Hopefully not tempting fate here but this is where we will more than likely be heading next round blue boys!!

Looks like a prison camp:

italy70.JPG

Ground sharing is crap. You lose a part of your identity in my opinion.

Depends. If it was Arsenal and Chelsea for example, you could have one hell of a rivalry. Derbies would be like an actual battle of fans, not physically of course.

Hmm it would be great for derbies and it would truly be another iconic stadium with two two such proud clubs in it, but yes, I think you do lose a bit of your identidy.

Aren't Inter planning to move out and build their own?

There are rumors that both clubs will move out, but I think its for financial reasons rather than identity. For me, San Siro is already very iconic and is very intimidating for opponents.

Wow, just seen the score! I wouldn't say Brann were a easy team to beat and you can rack the goals up but it looks like you completely blew them away, well done :applause:

Last edited by a moderator:

congrats guys... Brann weren't a pushover but you played well and really outscored, outplayed them... sweet...

Alot of people may laugh but I think (as we are lead to believe Blue Bill will invest heavily in the summer) we should break the bank for Sevilla's right Back Daniel Alves Imagine our team with a right back who can bomb down the wing and put in a cross, not like anthony hibbert or phillip neville who shit themselves if they even get near an oppositions half.

...rant over....

Back
Top Bottom