eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Anyone know what unreal engine is like in terms of mods? Feels like the modding community is really hitting its stride and would hate for there to be a reset.

Also will Konami be able to easily import there faces to it? Because the transition to Fox engine was bloody painful.

Skate 4 is the only thing that saved this travesty of an event
"...well this is only one year of a three year development cycle" we will hear :D
Oh God no! :R1
Anyone know what unreal engine is like in terms of mods? Feels like the modding community is really hitting its stride and would hate for there to be a reset.

Also will Konami be able to easily import there faces to it? Because the transition to Fox engine was bloody painful.
No problems there, afaik UE4 games get modded heavily.

Just saw Unreal Engine trailer, is this for PES2021? Highly doubt so?
2022, they said in the press release. This is just a confirmation that they're moving to UE and working on it already.

Its not the engine, its the developers and the management and the audiance they intend to target. There could have been an amazing PES on Fox too they just decided not to do it.

Find this an odd view. Do you genuinely think they decided to not make the game amazing? People with professional pride who are putting in long hours to revel in all the negative comments they were striving for? It's more likely years of horrible development have led to a huge tech debt with code difficult to unpick and reengineer.

I'm glad they've made this decision, it doesn't mean they won't make similar mistakes but it's good news for the series. Let's hope the new engine means they actually move away from a lot of these legacy issues but that in itself will no doubt bring its own difficulties.

Gonna stay optimistic until it's impossible not to 😂

Find this an odd view. Do you genuinely think they decided to not make the game amazing? People with professional pride who are putting in long hours to revel in all the negative comments they were striving for? It's more likely years of horrible development have led to a huge tech debt with code difficult to unpick and reengineer.

I'm glad they've made this decision, it doesn't mean they won't make similar mistakes but it's good news for the series. Let's hope the new engine means they actually move away from a lot of these legacy issues but that in itself will no doubt bring its own difficulties.

Getting lazy and complacent because no matter how shitty the gameplay, you're still selling coins, is nothing new in this industry.

The AI and the gameplay has gamebreaking issues every year since 2014. If they wanted to fix it and deliver something good they could have done it, they shifted their resources elsewhere.
- Robotic one dimensional AI player ID and tactical wise
- Overpowered freekicks
- Lack of variety in AI shooting
- No midfield
- No realistic foul system
- goalkeepers stuck on goal line
- overpowered chip shots

To list a few, and these should be basic for a football game yet all broken for 7 years. They rather decided every year to create inspire, advanced instructions, random team selecion, focus on online etc.
The only good thing came out from the past 7 years are the goalkeepers even with their bugs they are the best improvement and on top the more realistic ML transfers.

The AI and the gameplay has gamebreaking issues every year since 2014. If they wanted to fix it and deliver something good they could have done it, they shifted their resources elsewhere.
- Robotic one dimensional AI player ID and tactical wise
- Overpowered freekicks
- Lack of variety in AI shooting
- No midfield
- No realistic foul system
- goalkeepers stuck on goal line
- overpowered chip shots

To list a few, and these should be basic for a football game yet all broken for 7 years. They rather decided every year to create inspire, advanced instructions, random team selecion, focus on online etc.
The only good thing came out from the past 7 years are the goalkeepers even with their bugs they are the best improvement and on top the more realistic ML transfers.

So there's two lenses to this, the business one and the creative/tech one. More often than not tech teams are told what their priorities are and they work within those boundaries. There's a balance to be struck, of course, between profit and quality. Especially when quality may be extremely difficult to improve given the tech debt and absolute mess of a code base.

You make a great point on GKs, how many years did they take to "fix" and to what detriment? They're the perfect example of how tough it can be to re engineer things with so many dependencies. Is it going to go down well with the casual gamer if konami don't implement quick wins which the other game has had for years but fix 2 core gameplay elements? It might be great for us but ultimately would be poor from a business perspective.

We know konami have a relatively small team, they don't have the resources or capacity to fix all the things we want I don't think. However, I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes or bad decisions, they absolutely have but I'd also imagine a lot of those decisions were based on a cost/time/benefit analysis. I don't for one second believe professional engineers are happy to sit there shipping a game as weak as this is.

I work closely with engineers and in an environment where an entire replatforming has been required to fix issues which on the surface appear simple to resolve so I have some sympathy here.

So there's two lenses to this, the business one and the creative/tech one. More often than not tech teams are told what their priorities are and they work within those boundaries. There's a balance to be struck, of course, between profit and quality. Especially when quality may be extremely difficult to improve given the tech debt and absolute mess of a code base.

You make a great point on GKs, how many years did they take to "fix" and to what detriment? They're the perfect example of how tough it can be to re engineer things with so many dependencies. Is it going to go down well with the casual gamer if konami don't implement quick wins which the other game has had for years but fix 2 core gameplay elements? It might be great for us but ultimately would be poor from a business perspective.

We know konami have a relatively small team, they don't have the resources or capacity to fix all the things we want I don't think. However, I'm not saying they haven't made mistakes or bad decisions, they absolutely have but I'd also imagine a lot of those decisions were based on a cost/time/benefit analysis. I don't for one second believe professional engineers are happy to sit there shipping a game as weak as this is.

I work closely with engineers and in an environment where an entire replatforming has been required to fix issues which on the surface appear simple to resolve so I have some sympathy here.
Agree.
Surely every year's pitch meeting is about making up buzzwords and new features to sell next year's game instead to actually improve/fix the game. I just dont think or dont seem the developers have any say what to do next year. Even if they'd have possibly its a decision of multiple people which is already makes it complicated not to mention the planning and sales people who define the budget for next year and the profit they want to see out of this. Its just became the same as EA's FIFA lets be honest since MC, profit orinted not artistic at all.

Agree.
Surely every year's pitch meeting is about making up buzzwords and new features to sell next year's game instead to actually improve/fix the game. I just dont think or dont seem the developers have any say what to do next year. Even if they'd have possibly its decision of multiple people which is already makes it complicated not to mention the planning and sales people who define the budget for next year and the profit they want to see out of this. Its just became the same as EA's FIFA lets be honest since MC, profit orinted not artistic at all.
Why cant we be happy or optimistic? They have literally just revealed a new engine, its not like another standard pes edition mate

Why cant we be happy or optimistic? They have literally just revealed a new engine, its not like another standard pes edition mate

Well we dont have any info, I just hope the optimistic fans dont fell flat on their faces next year if this all turns out just a graphical upgrade and the gameplay and all the legacy issues are still there. UE is used for PES Mobile after all right?
And Konami proved themselfs wrong for many many years now, nothing to be optimistic about from my side. It will look nice? Sure it looks like. But FOX did look right however we had cutscenes for goalcelebration, static replays and PS2 entrances, horrible atmosphere, menus with loading times and these are just cosmetics. I just cant.

Agree.
Surely every year's pitch meeting is about making up buzzwords and new features to sell next year's game instead to actually improve/fix the game. I just dont think or dont seem the developers have any say what to do next year. Even if they'd have possibly its a decision of multiple people which is already makes it complicated not to mention the planning and sales people who define the budget for next year and the profit they want to see out of this. Its just became the same as EA's FIFA lets be honest since MC, profit orinted not artistic at all.

I hope the optimistic fans dont fell flat on their faces next year if this all turns out just a graphical upgrade and the gameplay and all the legacy issues are still there. UE is used for PES Mobile after all right?

Like I said, I think they've made some bad decisions but there are so many unknowns from our perspective. They may have spent the last 4 years making invisible changes which are enabling them to move engines whilst leaving behind the shit that was preventing them developing quickly. We just don't know these things.

Ultimately, the game on the new engine I think will tell us all we need to know and I hope (and think) the people working on it will really want to show what they are capable of. Will it be perfect, absolutely not but we can hope it's a far better representation than this gens offerings.

We will have to see when it's released, but it will surely mean that lots of tools have to be made again and most mods will probably not work. But for me (and I assume for most modders out here), it will be like a breath of fresh air to see new content to mod, at least from my point of view. Have lots of expectations, hopefully the game gives us both good edit mode and offline modes.
Don't know why, but I have a feeling that maybe stadium editor will be back. That's my prediction hahah

To me it's wayyyyy to early to think about Pes 2022 but i still believe that even the best engine is wasted if people using it don't know how to make it work.

Unreal Engine will still require developers to add AI, presentation, real gameplay innovation. It's not going to fix all of Pes issues just because it's a new engine. True, it will be the biggest change since Pes 2014 but we don't know if that change alone will be good enough.

Last edited:
OMG, I think PES is taking over...
We asked for a new engine, they gave it?
Fifa, there is a new sherif in town.
Ιt took over already! Let's preorder before the price goes sky-rocket!

Dude isn't it a trailer for 2021 update and a teaser for UE 2022?

You are starting to be more mysterious and confusing than KONAMI themselves...

If i remember Unreal Engine should be much easier to mod than Fox Engine...also they provided already to show Unreal Engine 5...there will be a lot freedom for every devs team who work with it

Ιt took over already! Let's preorder before the price goes sky-rocket!

Dude isn't it a trailer for 2021 update and a teaser for UE 2022?

You are starting to be more mysterious and confusing than KONAMI themselves...
Yeah mate i meant for 2022, the new engine is crazy news, step one in taking over football games!

Why is the reason konami is releasing a small teaser trailer of a future pes 22 without showing pes 21? Maybe because they have nothing to show with next edition? I am sure would be just an update season and they do not have a lot of to show us and this is just confussing for people cause I am already seeing commentaries about this is gonna be pes 21

Well we dont have any info, I just hope the optimistic fans dont fell flat on their faces next year if this all turns out just a graphical upgrade and the gameplay and all the legacy issues are still there. UE is used for PES Mobile after all right?
And Konami proved themselfs wrong for many many years now, nothing to be optimistic about from my side. It will look nice? Sure it looks like. But FOX did look right however we had cutscenes for goalcelebration, static replays and PS2 entrances, horrible atmosphere, menus with loading times and these are just cosmetics. I just cant.
Yeah i dont have any info but, its literally a new engine in 2022, how can we not get excited? Konami will surely learn from their mistakes

"This title is being developed with an updated engine that will enable us to dazzle you with staggering improvements to all areas of the game. Expect more realistic player models and animations, enhanced physics, photorealistic visuals, and much much more. "​

No specific mention of improvements to AI, the single most important thing in the game. Essentially it's all about visuals, visuals and visuals.

Why is the reason konami is releasing a small teaser trailer of a future pes 22 without showing pes 21? Maybe because they have nothing to show with next edition? I am sure would be just an update season and they do not have a lot of to show us and this is just confussing for people cause I am already seeing commentaries about this is gonna be pes 21
True, it is confusing for some people.
But tbh, they didn't have a choice: they needed to show this first to create expectations for PES2022, to cover up what PES2021 will be. 2021 will probably be the same game + new leagues (Swedish and Polish first tiers, Belgian second division and maybe a South American second division if we're optimistic) and updated kits, players and everything else related to the 21/22 season

Switching to UE is a wise decision. With a thousands of UE developers across the world you can get any help or consultation, even EPIC's themselves would be glad to assist. I really hope that PES developers will be open and will collaborate with EPIC's.

Switching to UE is a wise decision. With a thousands of UE developers across the world you can get any help or consultation, even EPIC's themselves would be glad to assist. I really hope that PES developers will be open and will collaborate with EPIC's.
Absolutely, this opens the game to the world in terms of developing. Also, it appears that a lot of modding is being made for UE in different games so maybe modding in PES2022 will have a somewhat quicker start.

"This title is being developed with an updated engine that will enable us to dazzle you with staggering improvements to all areas of the game. Expect more realistic player models and animations, enhanced physics, photorealistic visuals, and much much more. "​

No specific mention of improvements to AI, the single most important thing in the game. Essentially it's all about visuals, visuals and visuals.

Like i said, AI is something that is not related to Unreal Engine or a specific engine. The switch to Unreal Engine won't authomatically give us a better AI. When they showed the UE5 demo they never talked about AI, but only animations, graphics, lighting, physics.

I would really expect a HUGE leap forward in AI department considering these new console CPUs are beastly, but i wouldn't bet on it.

Back
Top Bottom