eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Yes, i agree but the point here is they should have fixed the issues that the foul system had with following patches, not scrap everything. With that attitude, the same that brought them to completely scrap Pes 2014 gameplay, how could you hope for real improvement?

They should know that great things don't usually come after little effort. The very first Winning Eleven was unplayable, but they kept improving on it instead of scrapping everything. They had a vision, they followed it and they took the benefits of their efforts few years later.

Lately with Pes it's always one step forward, two steps backwards, it's confusing, it's messy, it's always half baked. You can see sparkles of genius in the gameplay, but they are rare because the entire gameplay is limited by systemic issues that have never really been fixed.

Foul system being broken since Pes 2017
Tactics overriding AI decisions and player positions since Pes 2018
Huge midfiled gaps since Pes 2016
Shooting system being simplified since Pes 2014
I agree, but fouls in particular I doubt were even properly fixable in patches or new editions with how the player hitboxes worked after they abandoned 2014's attempt at player physics. Never really got the sense this gen that they were working towards any kind of vision.

Imagine if PES was discontinued? We should be thankful first, then critical ( not abusive)

So if I get this right, negative feedback won't get things fixed because konami ignores negative feedback, but negative feedback can make them discontinue PES. There is a contradiction in there somewhere. You're effectively claiming that a product gets better with praising it, not with criticising it. (Paraphrasing from more than what i've just quoted here and not just from you, but that's the general idea expressed).

Back to planet earth... That's not how things work. Konami cares about all feedback like all companies selling things. Praising is the natural result of a good product that people enjoy, they don't get to twist things around and demand praise in advance and use the promise of a better product as a dangling carrot to get it.

And here's some praise from me: Thank god pes has some decent looking goal net physics these days! I wonder how that happened. Was it because of people praising the goal nets in previous years?! 😆

Problem is that people like myself who criticises the games flaws are immediately branded as PES haters and are put in the same category of those who have verbally abused Konami employees. You may find it difficult to believe but some of us are critical of the game because we know it can be a great game if only. a little more effort was made. Some features like Artificial intelligence have been deliberately watered down from the demo to the final game and most (if not all) gamers base their decision to purchase a game on the strength of a demo.

This is a typical response. Nobody has put you in the same category of those who have verbally abused Konami employees. That is an assumption that you make and that is totally false. You use the same instrument as racists do: unfunded generalisation.

And now about gabe logan. His response is paper thin: he guesses. The new engine might make the game better, but he doubts it. Why? What objective reason does he have to make that assumption? There is none. Because Konami's last games were not good? Leicester hadn't been champions for ages (perhaps never, no idea) yet they won the title. Liverpool fucked up 30 years, so it is safe to assume that they will not become champion this year, oops.... I'm sorry those are not arguments for a serious discussion. Threads like this are a sequence of rants (incluing mine here, but may i once?).

This is the kind of reasoning that happens all the time in threads like this.

Now there is only one thing that needs to happen to fit the pattern of these so-called discussions totally: that somebody calls me a fanboy. This happens time and again.

For the record: i also think that the game could be much better, but it is only a feeling and nothing more. I still have to read the first post that can really convince me that Konami is really underachieving. And yes, the last year, the demo version usually is the best version of the game. BUt what happens then: Konami ask or see feedback from the fans and they change the game for worse. This happens time and again.

Gabe logan concludes that the fans are to blame, well that is another fallacy, of course Konami is to blame, they shouldn't listen and go in the direction they want to with the game. I hope they will to this with the 2022 version.

Of course this will not happen, despite the cynicism from people like gabe logan (and i mention him as an example) they have sky high expectations (they will deny this of course) and they will be disappointed and the cycle begins all over again.
It's would be funny if it wouldn't be sad....

There were cases where fouls were given for good tackles, but that's still much better than giving nothing for the other 90%+ of genuine fouls. It was annoying sometimes to give away fouls wrongly, but the general style of play required online as a result was far more patient.
Yeah, but the amount of fouls in the demo it was a bit annoying. Specially with the routine of slooooow 2 sec screen freeze / replay logo / slow cutscene / another 2 sec freeze / another replay logo happening for every single foul.

I can’t stand that.

What? :LOL:

They don't listen to the fans AT ALL. Sometimes it happens they make some improvements that were also requested by fans and so someone thinks they listened, but seriously they choose to do as they want.

That wouldn't be a problem if they knew what to do with Pes, the fact is they don't know. Their only goal is to attract more and more people to Myclub and even there they are failing because Myclub is such a boring mode it doesn't have the power to keep people coming back to play and spend money on it.

There is a lot of negativity, that is true, but if they had a clear vision about what to do they wouldn't care and follow their ideas. I think the big problem with Pes is they lack a clear leadership.
During the past we had Seabass, then Masuda until Pes 2014, who is the leader now? Who decides how will Pes develop every year, who plans a schedule to actually follow to improve the series year after year?

I can assure that they DO listen to fans and i'm far from the only one who has that opinion. I has been said regularly on these forums.
Every year i get some sort of survey where they ask lots of questions.

I will give you one example: they asked a couple of years ago which leagues we would like to see in PES, i said Jupiler League and the JUpiler League is in it. Of course that isn't the case because i asked it, but others have too...

This is a typical response. Nobody has put you in the same category of those who have verbally abused Konami employees. That is an assumption that you make and that is totally false. You use the same instrument as racists do: unfunded generalisation.

And now about gabe logan. His response is paper thin: he guesses. The new engine might make the game better, but he doubts it. Why? What objective reason does he have to make that assumption? There is none. Because Konami's last games were not good?
Yes. Seven reasons actually for me to take PES2022 with a huge grain of salt: PES2014, PES2015, PES2016, PES2017, PES2018, PES2019, PES2020. If you want to consider PES2021 thats eight, if we insist to PES2008 too thats nine, and PES2008 was made with a highly confident team with clear vision. Simple math for me but lets be reasonable and stick with seven.

Gabe logan concludes that the fans are to blame, well that is another fallacy,
Thats not my quote, Scott implied that, i asked him why he thinks that.

Yes. Seven reasons actually for me to take PES2022 with a huge grain of salt: PES2014, PES2015, PES2016, PES2017, PES2018, PES2019, PES2020. If you want to consider PES2021 thats eight, if we insist to PES2008 too thats nine, and PES2008 was made with a highly confident team with clear vision. Simple math for me but lets be reasonable and stick with seven.

I guess you also had 29 reasons why Liverpool would not be chanpions, yet...those kind of reasons are not reasons.

And i'm sorry for the wrong quote, i have nothing whatsoever against you.

All developed under the same Engine though.

Anomalies or historical data.. As a scientist I know which I'd trust

Evolution is the result of anomalies. If there were no anomalies there would not be human beings. As a scientist, you should know that better than anybody else here. By the way, what is your subject?

Evolution is the result of anomalies. If there were no anomalies there would not be human beings. As a scientist, you should know that better than anybody else here. By the way, what is your subject?

PES2021 is the subject,stay on topic.

Disagree but that’s a conversation to be had in a different space. Materials scientist and engineer 👍🏽

All developed under the same Engine though.
Chuny you think the UE will have a massive impact on gameplay? 🤔

@studeep if you don’t mind, giving my view on things.

Just one thought i have in mind: they’ll loose those old shackles!

Certainly there will be “baby sickness” (if that term exists in English)... I mean, we won’t get the full package that’s possible with UE with the first iteration. But I have so much hope in cutting those old threads that were holding back the series for some time now. You guys know what I mean... Fox n stuff.

what might hit bigger are things like menus, ML+Cup+League structure, presentation, save slots and stuff like that...

Last edited:
Disagree but that’s a conversation to be had in a different space. Materials scientist and engineer 👍🏽

Chuny you think the UE will have a massive impact on gameplay? 🤔

I do.
I think this change was very needed for all areas of the game to be improved.
Not just visually.
I guess time will tell, but I'm very confident that PES 2022 will feel refreshing.

I know they’ve already stated that gameplay will remain practically unchanged from pes20-21 but surely complacency hasn’t totally take over and some gameplay fundamentals are tweaked.

I do.
I think this change was very needed for all areas of the game to be improved.
Not just visually.
I guess time will tell, but I'm very confident that PES 2022 will feel refreshing.

One thing that makes me slightly hopeful is that PES (for the last couple of editions?) makes the PS4 go into overdrive.
Maybe there's something about the engine that limits the developers and what can be "calculated" on the pitch, and with a new engine they can maybe create better AI and tactics/player positioning.
As far as I know Fifa doesn't do this to the PS4 and I'd guess it has at least the same amount of calculations going on.

I don't know the slightest about game devolpment so anyone is welcome to debunk this theory:LOL:

like every year... as we keep the wheel on spinning... and we've seen that wheel a couple of times passing by our house... ;)

...can we not have a seperate thread for all the good "ideas" aka "stuff that was in PES and other sports titles before" and we would like to see in 2022, please!?
i recommend a seperate thread because, as i said, its all been said a million times before.... be it coin toss, ref personality, stadium editor, on pitch tactic arrows, different save files, season recaps... and so on!

id gladly open up a new thread for this and i would collect the ideas in the openening thread for a better overview.
but than again... there is this 100+ tips to improve PES-pdf floating around the internet that has A LOT covered.

I've been playing a load of default Pes6 & Pes 6 firebird. Every aspect of gameplay, apart from 360 degree dribbling, destroys Pes20 imo. If mods ever manage to some how implement 360 dribbling in Pes6, I'll prob never buy another Pes game again, there'd be no point.

Remember:

star players getting the ball in space and you could be in serious trouble through their dribbling, shooting & skills. And not just from the best players in the game. In my 3rd ML game the equivalent of a 70 overall (just one of the better players on the pitch) did step overs, cut inside my 2 defenders, normal dribbled past another, attacked my onrushing keeper at an angle, faked shot past him & tapped it in.

teams have subbed defenders for attackers when being behind, and attackers for defenders to keep the lead in important 2nd lg cup ties, taking the ball to the corner flag to waste time. Also changing their formations to suit the subs is a biggy.

no player overalls. Just the hexagon for summary, and stats actually mattered. Hrs already spent shifting through possible transfer targets to fit my team lol. The only thing I see a big difference in now is how easily lower rated players can be kicked off the ball.

stats mattered and so did player position, balance & timing. Rushed passes going astray, 180 ping-pong passes falling short.
So many shots going wide (not just by the same few inches), or ballooning over the bar from all ranges. (had one happen from 3yds out lol)
The variety is an absolute embarrassment to the Fox Engine games.

keepers. Omg, the keeper variety is just worlds away from what we have now. The impact this has on gameplay tension & drama cannot be overlooked. It has a massive effect at both ends of the pitch, not just theirs. [Shock - Horror] Your keeper can actually save things. That's because the AI can actually create more than 1 BS goal chance per match.

animations. Yes, they're miles off the fluidity we have now, but they have zero fat on them. That means no lazy clearances, shots that take forever, and passes/dribbles with no urgency. I'm seeing new animations all the time as I slowly & gradually upgrade my squad with different types, sizes & shapes I bring in.

player rating summaries. key players don't just get a 7.0, or 7.5. They get given accurate descriptions of what they did eg. 'immense at preventing attacks down the left all match', 'was key figure in creating an opportunity for equalising goal' etc.
This is like the 8bit version of the NFL 2k5 mentioned earlier (still own that beast lol, wish I could get it for PC). I still read through the lists after every game. Helps solidify story for some of the legend players you'll use during your ML journey.

I'll be here all night if I don't stop now lol. Didn't even mention refs.

Only thing I can see them tweaking gameplay wise with the '21 patch is the animations that drive and dictate matches. They need to balance out the slow ass animations for some movements, and keep the overall speed of play realistic. Or cut the fat from things like over-complicated ball control for simple scenarios like slow dribble, trapping the ball, and shooting/clearing/passing animations.
They're so addicted to 'contextual' gameplay yet top rated defenders/playmakers/strikers are more laid back than a geriatric Sunday morning walking football team.
Like the shooting, they've had 7yrs with this engine. Nothing will change with a patch. If it's the engine fair enough. But if it's the devs 'talent' or focus then what's gonna miraculously change with Unreal?
You really think the new engine in '22 will change much? A Ferrari body kit on a Reliant Robin chassis will still drive like a piece of shit, even when they remove the seats, dash, floors & even cup holders. lol

I know a lot of ppl want to see a true next gen game, but imo if they released a Pes6 remaster with a graphics upgrade similar to the firebird patch, updated teams & 360 dribbling we'll be a hell of a lot closer to that through gameplay than this '21 patch with fancy faces will offer.
Release that on the storefronts for a 3rd of the price, and it'll sell at least 1000% more copies.

Maybe there's something about the engine that limits the developers and what can be "calculated" on the pitch, and with a new engine they can maybe create better AI and tactics/player positioning.
I don't think a new engine can solve these problems. Let's take a look at the Demo (loose of the ball, reactions, collisions and physical on the pitch) and now take a look at latest patch. Engine is the same but gameplay is blatantly different.! Nah this is poor /absence of attentions to offline players and max attention to players who pay money in microtransactions. Hey Konami, too many fouls, they break the ping pongy game! Oh, sorry childs, you're right, let's scratch them!!!! I think devs are able to do a good gameplay, a real soccer sim but this means a hard match on the pitch, you have to think, you've to choose the right tactic and change it during the match. But, hey Konami are you joking? It's sooooo difficult this game, I want push 3 keys on my pad and play a match! Oh, sorry childs, you're right, too much difficult, not fun, et voilà a new patch for you dear payers!

I see what you mean: of course the game wont improve without the right mindset/vision by the devs. But I'm mostly talking about AI, and as I recall the demo, the AI wasn't too impressive either. I think they dribbled a bit more, but overall they lacked aggression and attack mindedness.

As for fouls, I believe another user put it quite well that fouls/physicality was also broken in the demo because anything there was a fouls, whereas now it's just random what gets called. So the whole fouls/physicality system needs to be rebuild from the ground up IMO.

I don't think a Pes 5 or 6 in HD even with updated graphics and database would be well received. Despite Pes 2020 not being good enough its gameplay is so much more complex and deep that makes Ps2 Pes games feel like simplistic arcade games.

I like replaying these Ps2 Pes games (Pes 5 specially) every summer waiting for the new Pes game and every year i have fun and i accept their flaws because they are decades old and you can't expect much more than that from 15 years old games but i also understand those games and that gameplay aren't remotely good enough to be accepted in 2020.

A bad workman blames his tools, and this gen Konami made their own tools (Fox Engine) so that can hardly be an excuse anyway.

Unreal Engine can be used to create fantastic games, my favourite physics based "sports" game is in Unreal Engine (Rocket League), but UE is just the tool.

If I was tasked with making a piece of artwork, you could give me all the professional supplies in the world, but an actual artist with creativity would create something vastly superior with a simple ballpoint pen.

What the engine is capable of is irrelevant without the people with the skill, talent and resources all invested in the right ways working towards an actual vision. A change in culture, personnel and priorities would be far more important than changing the game engine.

Whatever limitations people believe the Fox Engine supposedly inherently has, there's no way it can be more limiting than having to use PS2 hardware, where many aspects of those games are still superior. As an overall experience they may be too dated for some, but various mechanics have much more depth/variety than a game 15 years later and I'm not accepting Fox Engine is the reason for that. Even if somehow it was, as mentioned previously, they created the damn thing themselves - maybe not specifically for PES, but it was their choice to use it for that purpose. They could have even used UE3 or another more suitable engine back then.

I don't know anything about the PES development team or whether they've had any changes in personnel, but using UE alone tells us nothing. Any indie developer can download and use UE.

Last edited:
I don't think a Pes 5 or 6 in HD even with updated graphics and database would be well received. Despite Pes 2020 not being good enough its gameplay is so much more complex and deep that makes Ps2 Pes games feel like simplistic arcade games.

I like replaying these Ps2 Pes games (Pes 5 specially) every summer waiting for the new Pes game and every year i have fun and i accept their flaws because they are decades old and you can't expect much more than that from 15 years old games but i also understand those games and that gameplay aren't remotely good enough to be accepted in 2020.

Where exactly is this complexity and depth you are talking about in 2020 gameplay? Pad in hands, aka where it counts, it's dull in practically every single fundamental. Free kicks easier than ever, CPU so bad there is no behaviour difference between star players and normal ones, bland shooting, atrocious heading game in the box, screwed fouls system, no satisfaction in dribbling.. and that's just the suff on top of my head, I could go on forever.. you called the old ones "simplistic arcade" but I fail to see in which way 2020 would be a simulation of any kind, at least in the concrete sense and not in some abstract "the engine calculate this or that", which is nice to hear, but never helped somebody enjoy the game.

Pes 5 and 6 in HD or whatever wouldn't do good because people nowadays is used to photorealistic visuals, animations and body models, and probably to the collision system too (at least the visual portion cause even the system in itself is kinda screwed and random).. but you strip 2020 of that stuff and the substance would probably fall quicker than a sand castle under storm..

I hope they stick with Jim Beglin and Peter Dury, sometimes their phrases can get get repetitive but in those special moments, the emotion and passion in their voices gives me small goosebumps.

Where exactly is this complexity and depth you are talking about in 2020 gameplay? Pad in hands, aka where it counts, it's dull in practically every single fundamental. Free kicks easier than ever, CPU so bad there is no behaviour difference between star players and normal ones, bland shooting, atrocious heading game in the box, screwed fouls system, no satisfaction in dribbling.. and that's just the suff on top of my head, I could go on forever.. you called the old ones "simplistic arcade" but I fail to see in which way 2020 would be a simulation of any kind, at least in the concrete sense and not in some abstract "the engine calculate this or that", which is nice to hear, but never helped somebody enjoy the game.

Pes 5 and 6 in HD or whatever wouldn't do good because people nowadays is used to photorealistic visuals, animations and body models, and probably to the collision system too (at least the visual portion cause even the system in itself is kinda screwed and random).. but you strip 2020 of that stuff and the substance would probably fall quicker than a sand castle under storm..

Manual passing and shooting, you can choose the exact direction and power of the pass,cross and shots
Physicality is so much better, in Ps2 games you don't have any kind of battle between players, you just press X to press or O to slide and that's it
Pace of the game, seriously it seems like Ps2 games players are on some kind of drug the way they blaze through the pitch, it's like Pes 2020 but on +3 speed
Free kicks are easy in Ps2 Pes too, but in Pes 2020 you can actually try to pass the ball, move the receiver, tell the receiver where he has to run, move your team mates, create different outcomes
Off the ball control: you can select and move the players exactly as you want in free kicks, corner kicks, goal kicks, thrown ins.
Manual 1-2
360 movement

There are few areas where Ps2 Pes games are still better: referees, shots variety and tactic shape of the teams. I wish Pes 2020 would have those too, but all things considered i just can't say those games are simulative compared to Pes 2020, because they aren't.

Relatively to what could be achieved with these consoles Pes 2020 is simplistic, but compared to Ps2 games it's obviously a lot more complex.

Manual passing and shooting, you can choose the exact direction and power of the pass,cross and shots
Physicality is so much better, in Ps2 games you don't have any kind of battle between players, you just press X to press or O to slide and that's it
Pace of the game, seriously it seems like Ps2 games players are on some kind of drug the way they blaze through the pitch, it's like Pes 2020 but on +3 speed
Free kicks are easy in Ps2 Pes too, but in Pes 2020 you can actually try to pass the ball, move the receiver, tell the receiver where he has to run, move your team mates, create different outcomes
Off the ball control: you can select and move the players exactly as you want in free kicks, corner kicks, goal kicks, thrown ins.
Manual 1-2
360 movement

There are few areas where Ps2 Pes games are still better: referees, shots variety and tactic shape of the teams. I wish Pes 2020 would have those too, but all things considered i just can't say those games are simulative compared to Pes 2020, because they aren't.

Relatively to what could be achieved with these consoles Pes 2020 is simplistic, but compared to Ps2 games it's obviously a lot more complex.

Manual passing, crossing and so on were here since the first years of the decade on Fifa (or actually even before). And the bulk of people who play Pes (the MYC crowd) actually don't even use it. Anyway, I don't see it as a great mark of complexity or discriminant. Plus on the basic passing thing the first iterations of this gen like 2014 or 15 were better than everything that came after. I consider way more complex a system that fully keeps in regard stats than one that just level it for all, even if it gives you "freedom".

I give you the one on the physicality but again, it's mostly cosmetic, there isn't a great gameplay logic behind it. You don't have a button to defend the ball, stats makes little difference, there isn't true control to it.. it's nice to look at but it's all there is, I still see no depth to it.

On pace.. given that to me pace doesn't make or break a game, again, try to watch the most played mode in the game and tell me how good does it look? It's an hell of ping pong from a net to the other. It may look good on your typical Master League but it's an effort you make to keep it so because you could ping pong it there too.

And that bring me to my final point.. most of the people who plays 2020, aka the crowd that Konami tailors the game for, plays it because it's simple and fast rewarding, plus it looks and moves good.. not certainly for the complexity of it. Or you really want to tell me your typical My Club user cares for 360 movement? Or for moving people during free kicks which is usually useless anyway since offensive headers in this game are non-existent?

I'm sorry, but I rest my case. There surely is some kind of intrinsic complexity involved in the game, I'm certainly not deying it, but equally surely it isn't geared towards simulating football. It's complex just for the sake of it.

I hope they stick with Jim Beglin and Peter Dury, sometimes their phrases can get get repetitive but in those special moments, the emotion and passion in their voices gives me small goosebumps.

They can bin Jim Beglin, he hasn't been relevant in nearly a decade. Not a fan of Drury, personally, but I can see why he appeals to some. But whoever they get they need to put them in that sound booth for a lot longer than usual.

And that bring me to my final point.. most of the people who plays 2020, aka the crowd that Konami tailors the game for, plays it because it's simple and fast rewarding, plus it looks and moves good.. not certainly for the complexity of it. Or you really want to tell me your typical My Club user cares for 360 movement? Or for moving people during free kicks which is usually useless anyway since offensive headers in this game are non-existent?

I'm sorry, but I rest my case. There surely is some kind of intrinsic complexity involved in the game, I'm certainly not deying it, but equally surely it isn't geared towards simulating football. It's complex just for the sake of it.

Online it's a completely different matter though, my comparison between Pes 2020 and Ps2 Pes games is all about offline gameplay.

Online it's a completely different matter though, my comparison between Pes 2020 and Ps2 Pes games is all about offline gameplay.

Well, the glaring fundamental issues I've talked about (and many, many, maany more I haven't) are all still there tho, online or offline that it is. I've talked about My Club because you originally mentioned how a Pes 5 or 6 in HD would be received and since nowadays MyC it's the main selling point of Konami it was worth mentioning in that context. But it changes little to the discussion.

PES teams still can't make tactical substitutions and have no concept of aggregate scores, league positions or any other permutations. Might as well play 50 friendlies a season. The word simulation doesn't apply.

One thing that makes me slightly hopeful is that PES (for the last couple of editions?) makes the PS4 go into overdrive.
As far as I know Fifa doesn't do this to the PS4 and I'd guess it has at least the same amount of calculations going on.

I don't know the slightest about game devolpment so anyone is welcome to debunk this theory:LOL:

Purely and simply, it’s bad code!

This generally happens when you don’t write code for a specific object or piece of hardware, and use a ‘generic’ instead.

The general result of that kind of coding is 100% processor use and memory leaks, resulting in either or both of them (memory and/or processor) at max use causing overheating, hence the fan belting away at 100% as well to keep the computer cool and prevent it from burning itself out.

I’m surprised they get their app on the PS store actually.

I’m also surprised they haven’t burnt out some PS4’s too. Maybe they have and we just don’t know because no one has realised and presumed it was just a fault with their machine.

Finally, the most likely cause here, apart from 100% numptiness at Konami, is when you ‘port’ a code base from one dedicated machine or development framework to another and don’t bother to ‘optimise’ your code for the new environment/hardware/software objects.

I make these statements as a commercial programmer of 40 years standing. What I would give for just one wee look at some of their code down Konami way!

Back
Top Bottom