eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Of course it's not gonna happen, but it would be so damn ironic if 2021 truly was a kinda new, well polished game, only to bomb because of bad PR.

I would like to believe that any gameplay tweaks for PES2021 that may be added at some point would also apply to PES2020 but in reality they'll more than likely be locked to PES2021 to encourage people to buy the update.

Of course it's not gonna happen, but it would be so damn ironic if 2021 truly was a kinda new, well polished game, only to bomb because of bad PR.
I'm not expecting it to happen but it doesn't seem completely impossible to me either - I don't think 2020 really needed any new features/mechanics added to be the best of the generation. The demo/V1 gameplay already shows how much better the dribbling and various other aspects of the gameplay could be still using 2020.

If they made tweaks to take the best parts of various versions of 2020 throughout the year and improved the shooting/AI a bit, it would already be a bigger improvement to the previous version than we usually get each year. I always find it funny to search "PES 2018 features" (or any other year) and see what the marketing jargon for each version was at the time. Most of the time you can't even remember what any of it was and most of it turned out to not have half the impact they hyped it up to have. What people really notice when looking back on old versions is the general gameplay balance and variety, which can be changed significantly (for better or worse) by tweaking the same version.

Realistically though, I'm pretty sure just going to be the current/final 2020 gameplay with a squad update and without a demo version this year I'm not paying for the privilege of finding out... Not that you can really trust a PES demo/beta to represent the final product anyway.

I'm not expecting it to happen but it doesn't seem completely impossible to me either - I don't think 2020 really needed any new features/mechanics added to be the best of the generation. The demo/V1 gameplay already shows how much better the dribbling and various other aspects of the gameplay could be still using 2020.

If they made tweaks to take the best parts of various versions of 2020 throughout the year and improved the shooting/AI a bit, it would already be a bigger improvement to the previous version than we usually get each year. I always find it funny to search "PES 2018 features" (or any other year) and see what the marketing jargon for each version was at the time. Most of the time you can't even remember what any of it was and most of it turned out to not have half the impact they hyped it up to have. What people really notice when looking back on old versions is the general gameplay balance and variety, which can be changed significantly (for better or worse) by tweaking the same version.

Realistically though, I'm pretty sure just going to be the current/final 2020 gameplay with a squad update and without a demo version this year I'm not paying for the privilege of finding out... Not that you can really trust a PES demo/beta to represent the final product anyway.

Konami made a huge mistake with the finesse dribble, the total change in the functions of the R2 button, after forgetting about the golden rule "do not fix something that is not broken". Almost no one uses it because it just doesn't work properly.

In my opinion, these changes were made only to have some radical changes, or to please FIFA fans, there the right analog has similar changing directions functions far as I know.
The mechanics of PES 2020 need to be thoroughly reworked because, at the moment dribble, finesse dribble is a total mess. I got used to it, I started to use it a lot, but being used to deal with a bad decision on Konami doesn't make it any less bad.

Konami made a huge mistake with the finesse dribble, the total change in the functions of the R2 button, after forgetting about the golden rule "do not fix something that is not broken". Almost no one uses it because it just doesn't work properly.

In my opinion, these changes were made only to have some radical changes, or to please FIFA fans, there the right analog has similar changing directions functions far as I know.
The mechanics of PES 2020 need to be thoroughly reworked because, at the moment dribble, finesse dribble is a total mess. I got used to it, I started to use it a lot, but being used to deal with a bad decision on Konami doesn't make it any less bad.
i can only speak for mysself but yes, i am using the tight control feature less than before (when it was mapped to R2). and avoiding that feature sure speeds up the game. when you are not stepping on the ball or rolling it back/sideways and stuff... the game naturally becomes faster.
as i like to take my time on the ball, trying to replaciate the peculiarities (had to google that ;) ) of football, this worked much better for me with the old system. i can slow down the play and have a look for free receivers in 2020... but its not as natural when using the RS compared to R2+LS!

Last edited:
Yes it's a new game with just a database update. But still just a database update.
They are still "working" to bring "new features" to this "new game" and these "new features" he can not speak about it and we have to wait for release of "new game"

Yes it's a new game with just a database update. But still just a database update.

Crucially, isn't it more than just a database update, it's a version of the game that you will have to pay to update to if you want to be able to play online, as v2020 and v2021 will not be compatible with one another? I don't play online, so it doesn't affect me, but will it force myClub players to update?

If it's just a database update so it isn't a "new" game, imo needs more than just a database update to be considered a new game.

honestly for a season update should just be $10 at the very most anymore and your getting ripped off hard
One can get it for 10$ due to regional pricing though. In my country it is $10 for standard and $15 for club editions.

Crucially, isn't it more than just a database update, it's a version of the game that you will have to pay to update to if you want to be able to play online, as v2020 and v2021 will not be compatible with one another? I don't play online, so it doesn't affect me, but will it force myClub players to update?
just a thought: do we know exactly where they started working from for that 2021 update!? did they start from 2020 DP8 as a base or did they use the Vanilla 2020 code as a base!? i really would like to know that.

what are your thoughts on this!?

Manual passing and shooting, you can choose the exact direction and power of the pass,cross and shots
Physicality is so much better, in Ps2 games you don't have any kind of battle between players, you just press X to press or O to slide and that's it
Pace of the game, seriously it seems like Ps2 games players are on some kind of drug the way they blaze through the pitch, it's like Pes 2020 but on +3 speed
Free kicks are easy in Ps2 Pes too, but in Pes 2020 you can actually try to pass the ball, move the receiver, tell the receiver where he has to run, move your team mates, create different outcomes
Off the ball control: you can select and move the players exactly as you want in free kicks, corner kicks, goal kicks, thrown ins.
Manual 1-2
360 movement

There are few areas where Ps2 Pes games are still better: referees, shots variety and tactic shape of the teams. I wish Pes 2020 would have those too, but all things considered i just can't say those games are simulative compared to Pes 2020, because they aren't.

Relatively to what could be achieved with these consoles Pes 2020 is simplistic, but compared to Ps2 games it's obviously a lot more complex.

I have to agree here.
Thing is, it depends so much on what mode you are playing and what settings you use to what your impression on PES will be.

I don´t feel this game being dull or boring.
I probably would, if I would play it straight out of the box with all them standard settings, assistance, standard cam etc etc etc.

Forcing myself to play it fully manual was a good decision to me, to be able to enjoy that game. I don´t mean to convert anyone playing it manual only or also don´t wanna praise how good manual is over assisted. But I think that it it´s a big matter about how you feel about this game.
The positive things you mentioned, probably don´t shine through on someone playing it online, assisted or whatever.

At the moment, I´m having a lot of fun, playing PES 2020. ML, full manual, game speed -1, stadium cam (pace on dynamic wide for example is noticable faster), regular. Only downsides, fouls and difficulty, even I have to say that I had a hard time beating AS Rome and lost against Italy in national friendlies for example.
The DP 8.0 update feels quite nice according to gameplay imo....and here lies the problem:
Even they deny it, there must be some few tweakings or something they don´t intent do do, which has an effect on something though.
Same with the demo version that felt so different than the full release, but KONAMI denying any gameplaychanges.

And with PES 2022 and a new eninge. Necessary? I don´t know....maybe.
But if we still have issues with fouls, limited database and updates that slightly change the gameplay, even devs are denying it... :II

just a thought: do we know exactly where they started working from for that 2021 update!? did they start from 2020 DP8 as a base or did they use the Vanilla 2020 code as a base!? i really would like to know that.

Given the Konami Latin rep said they had planned all along to make v2021 only a season-update, (ie. not a new game but effectively an extension of life for the current v2020 game), it seems probable that it will be a continuation of the build from the most recent datapack.

Given the Konami Latin rep said they had planned all along to make v2021 only a season-update, (ie. not a new game but effectively an extension of life for the current v2020 game), it seems probable that it will be a continuation of the build from the most recent datapack.
yeah... i tend to believe in that direction as well.
wished they'd start from scratch aka vanilla (or demo) and just tweak the "right parts"! but hey... the right parts for us are definitly not the right parts of other users, let alone the important parts for konami! ;) we'll see!
edit: well, others will see and tell us! :LOL:

I have to agree here.
Thing is, it depends so much on what mode you are playing and what settings you use to what your impression on PES will be.

I don´t feel this game being dull or boring.
I probably would, if I would play it straight out of the box with all them standard settings, assistance, standard cam etc etc etc.

Forcing myself to play it fully manual was a good decision to me, to be able to enjoy that game. I don´t mean to convert anyone playing it manual only or also don´t wanna praise how good manual is over assisted. But I think that it it´s a big matter about how you feel about this game.
The positive things you mentioned, probably don´t shine through on someone playing it online, assisted or whatever.

At the moment, I´m having a lot of fun, playing PES 2020. ML, full manual, game speed -1, stadium cam (pace on dynamic wide for example is noticable faster), regular. Only downsides, fouls and difficulty, even I have to say that I had a hard time beating AS Rome and lost against Italy in national friendlies for example.
The DP 8.0 update feels quite nice according to gameplay imo....and here lies the problem:
Even they deny it, there must be some few tweakings or something they don´t intent do do, which has an effect on something though.
Same with the demo version that felt so different than the full release, but KONAMI denying any gameplaychanges.

And with PES 2022 and a new eninge. Necessary? I don´t know....maybe.
But if we still have issues with fouls, limited database and updates that slightly change the gameplay, even devs are denying it... :II

I was just about to write something similar - sometimes I feel schizophrenic about this game:BLINK:

I've been playing it almost only on PA1, basic shooting, Top Player and it has felt great except for the odd game here and there plus the generally underwhelming "big teams" AI.
But lately it became boring because I could dominate the AI too easily, so I decided to bump it up to Super Star and easing myself in with a replication of the CL knockout single leg format playing as Barca. But those games are so frantic and it feels impossible to slow down the play like @PRO_TOO is talking about, almost like you are forced to play along with the ultra high speed and first time passing to stand a chance. It hardly even feels like the same physics as when I played on Top Player, it feels like players are floating/skating around, passes are too fast and imprecise in a nonsense uncontextual way. I wonder if it's mostly the difficulty or the fact that I'm playing with a five star team or a combination of the two - or maybe even that it's a cup instead of league mode...

Makes me realize that reading other peoples impressions should really be taken with a grain of salt, as there are so many variables that can drastically change how the game feels.

edit: well, others will see and tell us! :LOL:

True, although I am sure that, even if Konami state that 2021 gameplay is 100% identical to 2020 DP8, there will be some who insist that it is different and has improved.

But some of Konami's comments about 2021 have suggested that there IS a possibility of minor tweaks and improvements to the gameplay - exactly what I didn't want to hear, because the decision to not buy a data update is easy and clearcut, but they have (probably deliberately) left the tantalising prospect of gameplay tweaks on the table, so will you be able to resist? At £30, I can, but when the price drops to say £10....

And it might actually be nice to have the option to have 2020 vanilla and effectively a patched version called 2021 on separate disks, so it is easy to swap between the 2 without having to uninstall/reinstall/redownload huge DP, etc, each time you want to compare the two.

Last edited:
I was just about to write something similar - sometimes I feel schizophrenic about this game:BLINK:

I've been playing it almost only on PA1, basic shooting, Top Player and it has felt great except for the odd game here and there plus the generally underwhelming "big teams" AI.
But lately it became boring because I could dominate the AI too easily, so I decided to bump it up to Super Star and easing myself in with a replication of the CL knockout single leg format playing as Barca. But those games are so frantic and it feels impossible to slow down the play like @PRO_TOO is talking about, almost like you are forced to play along with the ultra high speed and first time passing to stand a chance. It hardly even feels like the same physics as when I played on Top Player, it feels like players are floating/skating around, passes are too fast and imprecise in a nonsense uncontextual way. I wonder if it's mostly the difficulty or the fact that I'm playing with a five star team or a combination of the two - or maybe even that it's a cup instead of league mode...

Makes me realize that reading other peoples impressions should really be taken with a grain of salt, as there are so many variables that can drastically change how the game feels.

Agreed!
The difficulty is another thing with this game.
I played a long time on professional. But there I had too many bullshit games once in a while.
Since i play on regular, I enjoy it more, even it is a bit too easy sometimes.
But never do I feel cheated and still get draws and losses.
I´d love to have something in between regular and professional.

Top player and superstar....I tried these.....respect to anyone who´s able to enjoy the game on those levels.
I can´t...

Agreed!
The difficulty is another thing with this game.
I played a long time on professional. But there I had too many bullshit games once in a while.
Since i play on regular, I enjoy it more, even it is a bit too easy sometimes.
But never do I feel cheated and still get draws and losses.
I´d love to have something in between regular and professional.

Top player and superstar....I tried these.....respect to anyone who´s able to enjoy the game on those levels.
I can´t...
Regular is by far the best difficulty,in how the CPU plays,on 17-18-19-20.
Just wish it could be a bit sharper in defence,a bit to easy to steal the ball.
But I like that difficulty.
I'm playing TP atm on 19,it's pretty decent (league mode)

Regular is by far the best difficulty,in how the CPU plays,on 17-18-19-20.
Just wish it could be a bit sharper in defence,a bit to easy to steal the ball.
But I like that difficulty.
I'm playing TP atm on 19,it's pretty decent (league mode)
Won a game against Barcelona on TP playing on manual which was quite satisfying but the next game on PES2020 with identical teams and settings the Bullshit kicked in and I couldn't recreate that feeling I had from the first game. it's just unfortunate that PES2021 will likely be much more of the same.

Last edited:
Won a game against Barcelona on TP playing on manual which was quite satisfying but the next game on PES2020 with identical teams and settings the Bullshit kicked in and I couldn't recreate that feeling I had from the first game. it's just unfortunate that PES2021 will likely be much more of the same.
Horrible game,can't understand how they could screw it up from the demo

I always play ML on Professional, nothing higher because I find it turns into button mash and like @PRO_TOO I'm looking to play as close to real football as I can. Use R2 a lot and release the left stick between passes normally. Always release left stick when the AI plays a long ball to avoid a defender ending up a weird position from an unexpected player switch. I've watched a few high profile streamers who seem to play with the left stick direction always pre-selected and speed burst held down constantly, just ruins the immersion for me. Which is linked to my number one complaint with PES (and the other game) when playing against the AI - the awful movement of COM players who are on the ball.

It's pretty clear on a lot of occasions the COM player has decided which player they will aim to pass/cross to, or if the receiver will shoot when the ball reaches them. It's the movement in between that looks dreadful - zig zag left and right then pass, another zig zag before crossing the ball out of play because they're off balance, controlling the ball blind with the outside of the boot, correcting their angle on goal for a split second before shooting, snatching at a shot first time with a ridiculous amount of power etc. There's a load more cringe inducing moments, and they've been in both games for years. But in PES especially, there's no excuse for them because there's a wealth of animation routines that look great. It's just that the CPU players (on the ball) never use them.

I genuinely think the majority of AI problems in PES would be much less frustrating if the COM players actually moved like f@cking humans.

If they start from vanilla 2020 code i think i buy the game. Certainly not if they go on with BS patches.

If they start from vanilla 2020 code i think i buy the game. Certainly not if they go on with BS patches.
If they would at least follow an agenda a customer could understand but oh boy, this DP1-DP8 rollercoaster ride isn’t healthy! To nothing an nobody. Makes me wonder if they ever had an agenda for themselves.

I always play ML on Professional, nothing higher because I find it turns into button mash and like @PRO_TOO I'm looking to play as close to real football as I can. Use R2 a lot and release the left stick between passes normally. Always release left stick when the AI plays a long ball to avoid a defender ending up a weird position from an unexpected player switch. I've watched a few high profile streamers who seem to play with the left stick direction always pre-selected and speed burst held down constantly, just ruins the immersion for me. Which is linked to my number one complaint with PES (and the other game) when playing against the AI - the awful movement of COM players who are on the ball.

It's pretty clear on a lot of occasions the COM player has decided which player they will aim to pass/cross to, or if the receiver will shoot when the ball reaches them. It's the movement in between that looks dreadful - zig zag left and right then pass, another zig zag before crossing the ball out of play because they're off balance, controlling the ball blind with the outside of the boot, correcting their angle on goal for a split second before shooting, snatching at a shot first time with a ridiculous amount of power etc. There's a load more cringe inducing moments, and they've been in both games for years. But in PES especially, there's no excuse for them because there's a wealth of animation routines that look great. It's just that the CPU players (on the ball) never use them.

I genuinely think the majority of AI problems in PES would be much less frustrating if the COM players actually moved like f@cking humans.
You should see me playing when I’m all by myself and deep dive testing. :D
Looks more like a training session than a real match. ;)

I still have hope for next gen and how AI could evolve....

Posted the above and as if by magic, a few community places on Twitter are reporting that if we make more than one pre-order for PES 2021, we'll get more pre-order bonuses.

Step right up, folks - buy two copies of the same game, you don't want to be some kind of idiot who only gets ONE superstar on release day do you?

The mind boggles. Who in their right mind buys two copies of a game - and if it's digital, you can't even sell your spare copy.

The world's gone mad. EDIT 1: @༺Ƥeຮ༻ points out - they're loan players too... Apparently it's just Messi that's on loan.

EDIT 2: And people really want this.

I know about the the situation. Sad state we’re in. But hope is the last thing I can give up.
We all said it before: as kids we thought the intros would be the game itself and it played like the real thing when we are grown ups. Now, let’s give this a life time I say! :D
What else is there? Saying “there never will be” is as sad as the suction we are already in, if not worse. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom