eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

People laud NBA2K as a shining example for what football games could/should be, but it seems to be heading down the shitter itself these days to cater towards P2W/online stuff.

I got 2K16 in a Humble Bundle and even then it had absolutely ridiculous microtransactions in it - you had to use in-game currency to even give your career mode player a haircut. It also has it's own FUT/MyClub style pay-to-win card collecting mode and it seems that the single player modes have had some really stupid changes more recently;

I saw it with other sports games in the past. I'd say football (just to clarify, not American football) is the only sport I'm truly passionate about, but I love sports in general (even if my interest in a specific sport outside of football ebbs and flows). Anyway, I remember the half-time show in say, NFL 2k5. 16-years ago! It's not perfect, but what the hell have developers been doing since then? This of course was the last NFL 2K ever because EA bought up the rights shortly after.
Yet here we are.

Oh man. Please don’t bring up 2k5. It hurts me so much this game is no more because of ea rights. Just looking at the animations of this game 15 years later and I would still prefer this over madden any time. One of the greatest games and franchises shut down because of exclusivity. And yes the half time show and presentation were amazing but gameplay was leagues above what they offer now

I find it utterly bizarre, that in one year, they have made no attempt to tweak the refs, improve collision, AI and switching, to sit along side the updated kit patch. That simply does not justify £30.....in its present state, with a mere paint of gloss, that patch is 99p at best.

Im not departing with one penny.

like every year... as we keep the wheel on spinning... and we've seen that wheel a couple of times passing by our house... ;)

...can we not have a seperate thread for all the good "ideas" aka "stuff that was in PES and other sports titles before" and we would like to see in 2022, please!?
i recommend a seperate thread because, as i said, its all been said a million times before.... be it coin toss, ref personality, stadium editor, on pitch tactic arrows, different save files, season recaps... and so on!

id gladly open up a new thread for this and i would collect the ideas in the openening thread for a better overview.
but than again... there is this 100+ tips to improve PES-pdf floating around the internet that has A LOT covered.

Last edited:
like every year... as we keep the wheel on spinning... and we've seen that wheel a couple of times passing by our house... ;)

...can we not have a seperate thread for all the good "ideas" aka "stuff that was in PES and other sports titles before" and we would like to see in 2022, please!?
i recommend a seperate thread because, as i said, its all been said a million times before.... be it coin toss, ref personality, stadium editor, on pitch tactic arrows, different save files, season recaps... and so on!

id gladly open up a new thread for this and i would collect the ideas in the openening thread for a better overview.
but than again... there is this 100+ tips to improve PES-pdf floating around the internet that has A LOT covered.
Sounds more like a topic named, Things that used to exist in PES and they were removed... :SAL:

Good idea but it could become a very a long opening thread, as it may also need to contain things like "referees that actually call fouls by cpu" - ie. fixes. Although many of these fixes would fall into slamsoze's "things that used to exist in PES" category.

But it would be interesting to create a list now and then tick off the ideas that are included in future PES releases. I bet that in 20 years, most items added to the list now would still not be ticked off.

Sounds more like a topic named, Things that used to exist in PES and they were removed... :SAL:
na na na... i know... we want more and we surely deserve more. but i wish we could keep it civilized.
you could make it that topic of yours, yes, stuff that was in and should come back. but i'm in fear the purpose of such a thread would get derailed into a moaning thread...
i'd like to combine it with "stuff that was in sports games overall before"-and should be back!

anyway... its all been said before a million times. maybe i'm just eager/in need to find a "new thing/new features/new ideas from users"!
see, that tech stuff @rojofa brought up lately... thats the stuff i want to see and read... it makes me smarter while reading and its something that could add to the game big time, imo.

anyway.... :D PES future is bright! had a good dream last night! ...multiple save slots where floating mid air before my face! :LOL:

na na na... i know... we want more and we surely deserve more. but i wish we could keep it civilized.
save slots where floating mid air before my face! :LOL:
No dude, i did not have any intention to insult you, (if you felt offended by the bolded text).
I meant that every year, whenever a discussion starts as a wishlist of features we would like to see in PES, we usually end up like the speeches being lectured in memorial/funeral οccasions. Like "ok this used to be in PES X, that used to be in PES Y". :)

No dude, i did not have any intention to insult you, (if you felt offended by the bolded text).
I meant that every year, whenever a discussion starts as a wishlist of features we would like to see in PES, we usually end up like the speeches being lectured in memorial/funeral οccasions. Like "ok this used to be in PES X, that used to be in PES Y". :)
all good mate. i did not feel offended in any kind! :) how could i!?
yes, we are running in circles... and i fully understand its just human nature!

all good mate. i did not feel offended in any kind! :) how could i!?
yes, we are running in circles... and i fully understand its just human nature!
I will make the begining , requesting flexible, fully editable, league structure. Add/remove/create/edit new leagues, with second/third/fourth divisions at will. Also add a creation center, to share and review, rate our Option Files.

For a game advertised as "edit it by yourself/as you like", it is really stragne to me, why this feature does not exist since 2008!

I will make the begining , requesting flexible, fully editable, league structure. Add/remove/create/edit new leagues, with second/third/fourth divisions at will. Also add a creation center, to share and review, rate our Option Files.

For a game advertised as "edit it by yourself/as you like", it is really stragne to me, why this feature does not exist since 2008!
Where has this ever been officially advertised??

Where has this ever been officially advertised??
I mean promoted verbally. "...We don't have the money the others have, but we have a great pes community that fixes staff with Option Files blah, blah, blah..." etc, etc :P
It is like a common secret!! :P

UPDATE: It is not a secret, @PRO_TOO this is for you ;)

https://www.konami.com/wepes/edit/eu/en/

UPDATE 2: I can go on and on, if you want mate!!! :D

99.99% same gameplay ... nice surprise for his 25 anniversary and what about referees? same referees with same problems for sure another brilliant movement by konami

You'd think to celebrate it's 25th anniversary they would have gone the extra mile to do something special this year. I get that due to the pandemic and the fact that pes2022 will be their main focus but a roster an kit update is simply not good enough.
If the gameplay had been addressed last year then this season update wouldn't be such of an issue.

Oh dear, I was thinking exactly the same while driving, this morning.
To be fair, I was thinking about FIFA 14 and about how great was having different teams using different playing styles (especially for career mode), a thing that I believe hasn't been matched since (at least from the games out-of-the-box... I know that we can manually alter team tactics and that's what @klashman69 does in a great way but this is not the point).

This is just one of the million features that have been removed over the years unfortunately (kit mixing available ingame, anyone? It was a PITA for kitmakers, I still remember it, but boy it was a great feature).
Many of these features have been luckily enough brought back by the community, but it shouldn't really work this way... And there are things (like different personality/foul strictness/card strictness based on the referee ID) that just can't be done anymore by editing.

YES! 🤩 This is exactly what I've been saying for years (since I first tried rFactor)... Glad I'm not the only one.
Well, the following post may be a little too extreme (ditch every license whatsoever) but it sums up exactly what I'd love to happen:
The "optimal" solution would be KONAMI screw all the licences (that means less money to spend to buy players' names, teams' crests, kits and so on and more money at disposal to actually rework the gameplay) and think about a "file tree" data structure (the same one that we see in, let me say, rFactor), of course open to be modified.
This way KONAMI would only concentrate on the "core" files, than the users could add any content they want (such as players, teams or entire leagues). It can be done for FIFA and for rFactor, why can't it be done for PES?
Take a look at rFactorcentral if you don't know what I'm talking about.. All of those mods could be installed ALTOGETHER in a single rFactor install.. Would you imagine if every mod of them would be an additional league for PES?
Wouldn't it be nice?

Of course, I know it isn't going to happen.. So I'll just get back playing my PES6..
https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/kitse...eads-on-this-issue.49875/page-41#post-1584228
https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-2...or-political-chat.48766/page-154#post-1446894

At least the "file tree" data structure has been finally implemented with PES 2014.
Aaaand they took inspiration from rFactor for another thing in PES 2014: NO RAIN! (yes, the first rFactor didn't have weather at all, races were always held in a clear condition, either during day or by night).
Oh wait, this is not what I thought when I asked them to take example from rFactor though. "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it" they said.

Last edited:
I mean promoted verbally. "...We don't have the money the others have, but we have a great pes community that fixes staff with Option Files blah, blah, blah..." etc, etc :P
It is like a common secret!! :P

UPDATE: It is not a secret, @PRO_TOO this is for you ;)

https://www.konami.com/wepes/edit/eu/en/

UPDATE 2: I can go on and on, if you want mate!!! :D
:D well yes... on that website!
thought i had missed a logo or slogan on retail packaging or something...

imagine that (an honest) statement on the back cover of PES: "We don't have the money the others have, but we have a great pes community that fixes stuff with Option Files" .... :LMAO:

edit: that meaning put in more professional words... i could see honesty getting rewarded though.

:D well yes... on that website!
thought i had missed a logo or slogan on retail packaging or something...

imagine that (an honest) statement on the back cover of PES: "We don't have the money the others have, but we have a great pes community that fixes stuff with Option Files" .... :LMAO:

edit: that meaning put in more professional words... i could see honesty getting rewarded though.
For PES2020, they did include (in official KONAMI sites/accounts) that we would be able to customize press rooms for each team. This was treated like an editing feature (that you obviously, at least for now, wouldn't be able to do in FIFA). So yeah, they do take pride about how much you can edit the game.

Of course it'd need to be worded differently but I agree, it could work and would, probably, be rewarded.
Something like...

TAILOR YOUR EXPERIENCE!
Custom your game with a selection of user-created content including players, teams and full leagues: head to usercontent.konami.com and lead your favourite team to glory!

I mean, since I mentioned rFactor Central before, take a look at this:
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/
Here you can choose cars, tracks, liveries... Almost everything you can think of, and they're easily installable and playable ingame.

The only downside I see for it being advertised on the box is that the right holders of the teams that don't originally appear in the game wouldn't be much happy of it being an official feature.

Last edited:
anyway... its all been said before a million times. maybe i'm just eager/in need to find a "new thing/new features/new ideas from users"!
see, that tech stuff @rojofa brought up lately... thats the stuff i want to see and read... it makes me smarter while reading and its something that could add to the game big time, imo.
Glad you found it worth reading at least, maybe there could be a thread for this kind of talk about technologies with potential uses in future football games. It may give people an idea of what may be possible in next-gen and beyond, or more cynically shine a light on the mediocrity and lack of innovation we end up having to settle for...

Honestly though, in some ways we may as well just talk about it here - what can we possibly discuss about PES 2021 itself? It's the same as PES 2020 and everything that could possibly be discussed about that game has been already over in the previous thread's 11K+ posts. Most of this thread has already been PES 2022 rumours/wishlist stuff (maybe that should already get a thread too :D).

This is another deep learning technology which could potentially be combined with DeepMotion physics simulation to create realistic AI for the whole team;

Last edited:
So I have played a few more games of PES 2020 online divisions on PS4, and I discovered and accepted that 4CB defenses are too effective.

There is no reason to use standard fullbacks, as their defensive AI is so so bad, they let huge holes wide open so the opponent can exploit and spam PA3 through balls.

That’s another issue Konami should fix ASAP.

Patent

Described herein are systems and methods for machine learning techniques utilized to improve the functioning of video games. As will be described, electronic gameplay from video games (e.g., sports video games) may be utilized to train machine learning models. Example electronic gameplay may include images generated by a video game along with label or annotation information describing features to be learned. A system implementing the trained machine learning models may obtain images of real-world gameplay, and may identify or extract the learned features from the real-world gameplay. As an example, the machine learning models may be trained to identify aspects of a video game hockey player, such as arms, legs, hockey stick, skates, and so on. In this example, the system may obtain images of a real-world hockey game, and may similarly identify a real-world hockey player's arms, legs, hockey stick, skates, and so on. As will be described, this identified information may be utilized to improve animation or motion of video game hockey players. Thus, due to the techniques described herein, machine learning models trained via video game data may be able to properly label, classify, and/or annotate real-world images.

As will be described below, the trained machine learning models can be utilized to extract useful features associated with real-world gameplay. For example, a system described herein can utilize trained machine learning models to extract realistic animation and movement information of real-world players. As another example, the system can learn how real-world cameras are operated to capture a real-world sports game. For instance, the system can learn how human camera operators track real-world gameplay action. This extracted and learned information may then be utilized or imported into video games. Thus, the training machine learning models can dramatically simplify various aspects of video games including artificial intelligence of characters, realistic animation and movement of characters, vantage points and viewpoints of electronic gameplay which are to be shown to users, and so on.

https://patents.justia.com/patent/10713543

It's good to see EA looking into this kind of stuff, but patents like this would probably restrict anyone else from being able to develop and implement the same kind of technology in games.

They can be abused in ridiculous ways - Apple patented the design of a rectangular phone with rounded corners and sued Samsung over $500M for copying it. I would expect a company like EA to abuse any power they got from patents, digging out any legal reason to shut down others with a team of the best lawyers...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom