eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Even if they aren't on hiatus, I will be anyway lol. Cause the PC port will most probably get old gen port for 3-6 years. Same with Fifa too.
Graphics isn't everything but it is something and inferior port is definitely something.

As for the gameplay, even though it's more realistic, I just don't like it. I liked PES 06 and 13 because of how responsive it was.

PES 2012 and PES 2013 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than this clunky game. You can't fucking move your players because they added some weird ass delay in the animations. It feels like playing with a 30-40 skilled rating team in PES6.

The direction PES 2019/2020 have taken can end the series, for good.

^ This exactly. I can't move the players, there's too much delay which is realistic I guess, but from a game and enjoyment perspective, I don't like it, at all. This is why I didn't like Fifa 14 either. Did still play Pes 10 despite the delayed animation because of how incredible the graphics was for its time and fifa 10 on pc was trash anyway.

But lets see what happens. Also the always online requirement on pc port is bugging me to hell. There are workarounds but it's still a pain to play that way.

@Camaldinho Licenses page of PES2021 does not say anything about Belgian 2nd division
Worrying sign since the list is basically the same as PES 2020 or are new licenses simply yet to be announced you think?

Gutted when I learned that FIFA 21 on PC will not be like the version on PS5

Let's see some comparison screenshots first. A lot of it is hype to sell consoles and games. Sure new controller haptic feedback will be unique to the ps5. But you never know about the rest. They market every single thing with buzzwords, but you may hardly notice the new lighting system when you actually look at it. It might also be the next best thing ever, but we just don't know, we're on hype territory.

@Camaldinho Licenses page of PES2021 does not say anything about Belgian 2nd division
Worrying sign since the list is basically the same as PES 2020 or are new licenses simply yet to be announced you think?

Yeah, I've seen but there's still time to announce licenses from now till September. As much as it's an update you should expect more licenses to come. The CSL came as a late DLC for PES 2019, and so did Serie B for PES 2020 last year. The information of the Proximus League is not confirmed but on the website it says.

'' Take control of one of the teams from 1A or 1B. The teams from both competitions are in fact available on ePES. Will you be able to beat the other players and become 1A or 1B champion with your favorite professional team?''

Could be an error, who knows?

Link to Source: https://www.proleague.be/fr/pl/partenaires

Nobody knows. I think the next gen version will be first for PS5 and XboxSe.X only
its everytime really funny that there will maybe be exclusive Next Gen for console 🤣 PC has way much power than any console. It only make sense when PC gets first new graphics etc

its everytime really funny that there will maybe be exclusive Next Gen for console 🤣 PC has way much power than any console. It only make sense when PC gets first new graphics etc
At the high end yes, this will always be the case, but on average people's gaming rigs will be much less powerful than the PS5 and new Xbox probably for a few years.

This is the most commonly used hardware at the moment according to the Steam survey, a bit better than a PS4 Pro (but many with much worse if you click each component);

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

As much as I'd like the next gen version immediately, there wouldn't be enough of a market for it if they made a properly next gen game with minimum requirements something like an RTX 2070 and Ryzen 7 3700X etc... Sports/football gamers likely have lower than average specs already.

I don't expect EA or Konami to release a game that would only run on the top 5-10% of high end PCs.

Last edited:
Looking back to where we started our adventures with Pes - who would have thought that in 20 years I will be hoping that my players know where the ball is and that the referee will blow his whistle for the right team..
And that, in order to have any sort of atmosphere on a stadium, people will have to play their recordings of Fifa matches..

Its.. yeah.. wow..
:LOL:
You know, That's an interesting perspective, I never thought of it that way. I think 20 years later the most significant thing is that the games look closer to the opening movies now. It's crazy to think that PES 3 was so good you'd think to yourself "Just imagine what technology will allow these games to do, The potential!"

Now it's really not THAT bad, These are still categorically good games, Both PES & FIFA are great football games that can recreate the drama of the real sport quite well not to mention the uncanny valley, But there absolutely are problems at the simplistic level like player positioning, AI awareness, unresponsiveness and pedantic fouls to name a few. These are so rudimentary that these are the very things that should be abolished with better technology, not exasperated by it.

I swear if they are able to fix gameplay and referees in this "new" edition pes 2021 season update I will buy but I am not going to buy same broken game with same awful gameplay and referee problem, not two times

I swear if they are able to fix gameplay and referees in this "new" edition pes 2021 season update I will buy but I am not going to buy same broken game with same awful gameplay and referee problem, not two times

Errr, they've already said it will only be a season update. When EA/Konami are bearers of bad news, that's when you should trust them. (Although I bet there will be a few people spreading rumours that everything was magically fixed by a fairy with a magic wand, lol).

And besides, pes 20 gameplay is award winning. You don't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
At the high end yes, this will always be the case, but on average people's gaming rigs will be much less powerful than the PS5 and new Xbox probably for a few years.

This is the most commonly used hardware at the moment according to the Steam survey, a bit better than a PS4 Pro (but many with much worse if you click each component);

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

As much as I'd like the next gen version immediately, there wouldn't be enough of a market for it if they made a properly next gen game with minimum requirements something like an RTX 2070 and Ryzen 7 3700X etc... Sports/football gamers likely have lower than average specs already.

I don't expect EA or Konami to release a game that would only run on the top 5-10% of high end PCs.
i think PC games are only bad optimazed. When i look at PS4 Uncharted 4 or now The Last Of Us 2 with this poor hardware of the PS4?

Can’t really see them releasing PES 2021 with no gameplay adjustments
Also for modding reasons, they probably changed scoreboards and stuff as well since the regista ls no longer the official ball and they went to green design

They can not release same game with same errors two times and charges 30-35€, I can not believe that

They can not release same game with same errors two times and charges 30-35€, I can not believe that

I can probably go out and buy a PS5 on day one with all the money I've saved in recent years by refusing to believe they'll ever fix a thing, even when they spout nonsense like "the king is back". Believing them when they are honest about not fixing a thing for year is a no brainer!

Last edited:

Flawed argument. Games have a thing called graphic settings.

PES 08, 09, 10 did this. Even though the games were next gen, the lowest settings disabled all the shaders to the point that it ran on low end intel graphics.
Fifa 2001 did it too with even supporting software render.

Also potato users need to upgrade to at least a baseline spec to match or at least able to somewhat match a new console. It's not like consoles get released every 2-3 years.

6-8 years is the average console cycle. People should at least upgrade once per 8 years or just play the old games if they aren't willing to upgrade. I couldn't afford a new pc until 2016. But never had I wished EA or Konami to make old gen pc ports so that I could play it. I just waited till I got a new pc and then bought fifa 15 and 16.

Attachments

• 2020.07.07-20.45.jpg
    2020.07.07-20.45.jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 2020.07.07-20.45_01.jpg
    2020.07.07-20.45_01.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 2020.07.13-20.36.jpg
    2020.07.13-20.36.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
Flawed argument. Games have a thing called graphic settings.

PES 08, 09, 10 did this. Even though the games were next gen, the lowest settings disabled all the shaders to the point that it ran on low end intel graphics.
Fifa 2001 did it too with even supporting software render.

Also potato users need to upgrade to at least a baseline spec to match or at least able to somewhat match a new console. It's not like consoles get released every 2-3 years.

6-8 years is the average console cycle. People should at least upgrade once per 8 years or just play the old games if they aren't willing to upgrade. I couldn't afford a new pc until 2016. But never had I wished EA or Konami to make old gen pc ports so that I could play it. I just waited till I got a new pc and then bought fifa 15 and 16.
It's not a flawed argument. It just depends on how the game is designed and I would hope that a next-gen game built from the ground up would take advantage of the better hardware more than simply adding graphical effects that could be turned off.

You can change graphics settings to potato levels if you have an old build, but that won't help if critical gameplay stuff like the ball/player physics or AI need a more powerful or 6-8 core CPU etc. That's the kind of change I would be hoping for from a next-gen game - real time footplanting physics, procedural animations, more complex ball physics, smarter AI etc...

If they simply use the same kind of primitive gameplay/physics/animation/AI in the new engine but with more graphical details then yes, you are right, but I am hoping that there would be more improvements than that.

Edit - See this blog post for an example of the kind of thing I would love to see in next gen sports games, using AI/physics to drive player motions rather than canned animations, this is about basketball but the same concepts can apply to football;
https://blog.deepmotion.com/2018/08/07/deepdribble-simulating-basketball-with-ai/

Last edited:
It's not a flawed argument. It just depends on how the game is designed and I would hope that a next-gen game built from the ground up would take advantage of the better hardware more than simply adding graphical effects that could be turned off.

You can change graphics settings to potato levels if you have an old build, but that won't help if critical gameplay stuff like the ball/player physics or AI need a more powerful or 6-8 core CPU etc. That's the kind of change I would be hoping for from a next-gen game - real time footplanting physics, procedural animations, more complex ball physics, smarter AI etc...

If they simply use the same kind of primitive gameplay/physics/animation/AI in the new engine but with more graphical details then yes, you are right, but I am hoping that there would be more improvements than that.

Edit - See this blog post for an example of the kind of thing I would love to see in next gen sports games, using AI/physics to drive player motions rather than canned animations, this is about basketball but the same concepts can apply to football;
https://blog.deepmotion.com/2018/08/07/deepdribble-simulating-basketball-with-ai/

Then my 2nd point still stands.

People need to upgrade their pc at least once per new console. Otherwise they should just play older games.

Then my 2nd point still stands.

People need to upgrade their pc at least once per new console. Otherwise they should just play older games.
I agree, and I will be upgrading myself once the quality of the new games justifies it.

It's for exactly that reason though that I could understand a delay in receiving a "next-gen" version - they need enough people to make that upgrade to have a PC capable of playing it to be worth releasing and supporting it. You would get loads of people crying about "bad optimisation", "poor PC port" etc and refunding because their 8 year old potato PC runs the game poorly.

Thanks for linking the article. Very interesting read.
:TU:

I agree, and I will be upgrading myself once the quality of the new games justifies it.

It's for exactly that reason though that I could understand a delay in receiving a "next-gen" version - they need enough people to make that upgrade to have a PC capable of playing it to be worth releasing and supporting it. You would get loads of people crying about "bad optimisation", "poor PC port" etc and refunding because their 8 year old potato PC runs the game poorly.

That's very unfortunate. In the end, it doesn't matter how powerful a pc is. It will always get short end of the stick due to potato users. I should just switch to consoles. Modding is dead on fifa anyway and Pes already has option files.

and shots hitting the bar not counting as shots on target - like always.
Shots hitting the bar not counting as shots on target is correct.That's real football rules.Go check it out.
The bar is not the target lol.

I understand the enthusiasm for the new engine, but I'd like to know what things people think need improving (I know that's already out there), but of those, which ones can only be achieved with that new engine.

For example, the number one issue with me is the current player (lack of) awareness, which seems the worst I've ever known. (running away from loose balls, stopping runs etc.)
Other examples off the top of my head are improved filtering for online matchmaking, option to turn off replays (as cgw5971 said), improved referees, more ML content .....
There's a long list, already known to you all. Some are major/fundamental which stop some from playing the game at all, and some are just irritating,( which should still be corrected). Some issues might be hard to correct, but others, such as the option to turn off replays are easily achieved surely.

We all have our own views and tolerance, but for me the actual gameplay is key, followed by game content, and then visuals.

My point is, that I don't think that the most important issues will be corrected by the move to a new engine. We'll get a wonderful looking game I'm sure, but I fear that will come at the expense of other improvements, and could well mean that things actually get worse in terms of gameplay.

As far as the 2021 update goes, I'd like the issue of player awareness to be fixed (on release) at the very least, but I'm not confident that it will be. Hopefully they'll address at least some of the well known issues, and they could add a few easily added options too. That for me would make PES 2021 worth buying.

Thanks for linking the article. Very interesting read.
:TU:
There's a video as well, which covers mostly the same stuff in the article but the clips are a bit smoother than the GIFs;

There's the PDF for the paper as well if you wanted an even longer/technical read :P;
http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/BasketballSIGGRAPH2018.pdf

GTA IV used a very basic implementation of this kind of tech with the Euphoria physics, where people would try to balance themselves when they were falling etc. There was an American Football game called Backbreaker which was almost just a demo for the technology 10 years ago... Really hoping that this kind of stuff takes off with next-gen, to me it would probably be as significant as the shift from 2D to 3D.

This thing that some say,that they should add an option for Arcade or Sim,i don't think it is that simple..

Look what happened with 20.If they only cared about pleasing the arcadey online crowd like everyone seems to think,they would make it ridiculously fast,with no error whatsoever and more arcady in general just like the previous ones..
Instead they made the rythm and the flow more slow and more realistic with more player weight and inertia.What would someone say about that?Is it more arcady or more towards sim..?

They made the PA1 less ping pong with more error in general with shots also and introduced more misshits instead of every shot go on goal or 5cm next to the bar and brought more physicality.Again,is that more towards arcadey approach or sim?
They made the controls looser and the ball less glued to the feet(something that we were moaning about for years that the controls are too perfect and the ball too glued to the feet)What about that?Is this also towards arcade?

That's some of the reasons why i prefer 20 to the previous versions.For it's more random and realistic approach on the pitch in how it feels and plays.Although still having issues with AI and awareness,no one can deny that.

What's most people had to say about that..?That it's trash because it's too slow and boring now and they can't pass correctly because of error unless they go to PA3 and they can't control the ball and they can't shoot etc..lol
So what do these people want afterall?A more sim approach?Doesn't look like it..Cause everytime they try to bring some elements more towards sim like they did in 20 or in 14 everyone bitch about it and say how much better and fun 6 and 13 were with their weightless cockroach football logic.

Although i agree that an option for offline to be able to choose which patch version you would like to play like there is in NHL would be good.
My favoutite version of 20 was the gameplay that came with DLC 4(and yes..gameplay always changes to some degree with every patch..anyone who plays the game enough can tell..even if some people think it's all placebo and make fun about it..)so i would like to have the option to choose that when i want to play some offline matches and have a break from online which i normally play.But i don't see that happening neither in PES or FIFA.

There's a video as well, which covers mostly the same stuff in the article but the clips are a bit smoother than the GIFs;

There's the PDF for the paper as well if you wanted an even longer/technical read :P;
http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/BasketballSIGGRAPH2018.pdf

GTA IV used a very basic implementation of this kind of tech with the Euphoria physics, where people would try to balance themselves when they were falling etc. There was an American Football game called Backbreaker which was almost just a demo for the technology 10 years ago... Really hoping that this kind of stuff takes off with next-gen, to me it would probably be as significant as the shift from 2D to 3D.
That, is quite truly, the dream. That's what I dream of. I don't want PES5 remastered - I don't want the best bits of my favourite PES games mushed together - I want a genuinely next-gen experience.

That video just proves that if EA or Konami thought it would be worth the investment, they could make something truly incredible. But why would you do that - everyone who would consider buying FIFA or PES, will buy them as they are. No need for increased development costs, or increased development time.

(Except Konami are building a new PES for 2021 - which has really surprised me.)

Back
Top Bottom