eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

I wonder if they gonna use UE4 or UE5 🤔

UE5 preview will be released during early 2021, full release in late 2021. I really don't think Pes 2022 will already be an UE5 game, they won't have time to do that.

Look at this roadmap

ue51vakqd.png

ue52xckyn.png

ue53aojsl.png

Seems like the gameplay, physics, AI etc are almost identical in those. The colours are more saturated in 2019 but that's about all I can see.
[/QUOTE/]
That's just a shitty mobile version though designed to also be able to run in shity mobile phones.
I don't think that we can make safe assumptions that that's how it will play on a beast console like ps5 with Unreal Engine 5.
The graphics are also 10 times worse on these mobile phone versions so probably the same thing goes for the gameplay too.

That's just a shitty mobile version though designed to also be able to run in shity mobile phones.
I don't think that we can make safe assumptions that that's how it will play on a beast console like ps5 with Unreal Engine 5.
The graphics are also 10 times worse on these mobile phone versions so probably the same thing goes for the gameplay too.
Yeah I know it's just a dumb mobile game, but the point is that they switched to using Unreal Engine for it yet all of those aspects stayed pretty much identical to the old one.

They must be able to reuse/port gameplay code to Unreal Engine for this to be possible, so they could well be doing a similar thing with PS5 PES 2022, with UE making the visuals a bit shinier but with recycled gameplay. FIFA did this between FIFA 16 (Ignite) and 17 (Frostbite). Most gameplay elements remained very similar/identical/worse but the visuals were improved.

New engine doesn't necessarily mean anything other than prettier graphics until we see that the gameplay has actually been reworked.

source?

myClub shit and boot packs.

How about a bonus that would benefit all users, such as fixing the most obviously broken elements of the game, such as the refereeing and AI awareness issues that are probably the worst they've ever been in the 25 year history of this product. It was fine a couple of years ago.
Source?Seriously?LOL.
You want a source that the vast majority in this era plays online?You don't believe it?I hope you're trolling..

Improving and fixing the gameplay is not a bonus.It's a fundamental thing.
A bonus is something like 2-3 very good players for your myClub team that you try to build from scratch every year or if we talk about offline it could be something like 100 million bonus for transfers in your Master League or something or this shit that Fifa 21 advertised that will give you if you preorder it,a ridiculously high potential wonderkid for your Career Mode.But since most people who play ML or Career like to keep it realistic and avoid these Financial Takeover shit and superhero wonderkids,these things are basically useless if you want to keep it real.But that's what's called a bonus eitherway.

As @Chris Davies said somewhere, recently: PES does not deserve its fanbase. Imagine being so inept that you rely on the community to take a trailer to a decent standard.

A trailer that is bollocks, by the way. That anyone would be excited by it makes me despair.
I so hoped for weedens being heavily involved in the next gen presentation and trailers!! Doesn’t look like it.

At least Unreal engine is confirmed...or rather...a new engine compared to what we have now.

In terms of KONAMI and their perception of what we're looking for in a game...who knows. Honestly been burned too many times since PES 2016. Are we supposed to forgive & forget 4 years of terrible iterations because they're taking a year off? Is it from scratch? Who's to say they don't over-correct, much how EA does with their patches, and make things worse?

Personally, I'd get excited if they announced a new engine, a new dev team, Seabass return, or additional gameplay consultants...like managers instead of players.

At least Unreal engine is confirmed...or rather...a new engine compared to what we have now.

In terms of KONAMI and their perception of what we're looking for in a game...who knows. Honestly been burned too many times since PES 2016. Are we supposed to forgive & forget 4 years of terrible iterations because they're taking a year off? Is it from scratch? Who's to say they don't over-correct, much how EA does with their patches, and make things worse?

Personally, I'd get excited if they announced a new engine, a new dev team, Seabass return, or additional gameplay consultants...like managers instead of players.

Hello mate,
How are you?

I think that this new engine might allow them to bend things in a way that simply was not possible with FOX ENGINE.
It's not just about cosmetics. It's about the amount of calculations and processes the engine can handle, allowing for better animations, better AI, and more organic gameplay.

I don't think it'll be from scratch, but I do think that many things must be re-programmed or re-done.
Some other data might be carried over, but I highly doubt the transition from FOX ENGINE to UNREAL is going to be friendly for the Devs, that's why they'll probably need to start fresh in many aspects.

If you look at this clip from Durandil, you can see how they take much of the content from previous iterations and still be able to implement them in a complete new environment and adapt them:

As for the "forgive and forget" thing... I believe that it'll ultimately be up to each of us individually. If PES 2022 ends up being the best football game ever created in every way, I think we'll all forgive and forget. But if it ends up being a Frankenstein, with the worst of both worlds... then it'll all come crushing down again.

But what other choice do we have? It's not like we have 6 football games developed by AAA Companies to choose from. We're stuck with these 2. So we better hope for the best.

UE5 preview will be released during early 2021, full release in late 2021. I really don't think Pes 2022 will already be an UE5 game, they won't have time to do that.

Look at this roadmap

ue51vakqd.png

ue52xckyn.png

ue53aojsl.png

No dude. That’s the release date for the public to use, but devs already have UE5. Hellblade 2 is using the engine. PES 2022 will look amazing, UE5 will have endless already existing hq assets, so Konami won’t have to build everything from scratch, like Pes dev team don’t have to worry too much about graphical textures, physics, and animations. It’s much more accessible this next gen with UE5 and everything is better processed. Also Konami can hire people so easily to work with them as most indie and many big companies use the unreal engine and have experiences with it, and the epic team behind the engine team can help Konami on how some thing works if they had any trouble developing. Fox engine, you had to build everything from scratch, as no one uses it outside of the Pes dev team, Kojima and his team were no longer there to help and consult, or to improve the engine.

If i have to be skeptic, new engine is going to bring changes sure, but will konami ever change their current philosophy? They have a template for a f2p game. The question is, how far are they going to diverge away form it ?

Saw pes 3 dev team's documentary the other day, and they clearly stated their philosophy there. They talked about reworking animations because some looked off, Seabass was hellbent on improving defending, design team was juggling memory to give user the best gaming experience and making it as realistic as possible. Got off the impression that they really cared about what WE wanted to experience at the end of the day, it was all about how WE wanted to play OUR game.

Fast forward today and i get the impression that its how THEY want us to feel about THEIR game. Thats why sometimes you have no control over a game. A philosophy where gamers will feel the need to constantly open up the wallet so they get the illusion of improving/controlling the team, thus, we will see handicapping mechanics that will make its way even to SP content.

The cynic in me says the new engine might bring change, but i reckon we wont see much difference in how the game with feel and play.

If i have to be skeptic, new engine is going to bring changes sure, but will konami ever change their current philosophy? They have a template for a f2p game. The question is, how far are they going to diverge away form it ?

Saw pes 3 dev team's documentary the other day, and they clearly stated their philosophy there. They talked about reworking animations because some looked off, Seabass was hellbent on improving defending, design team was juggling memory to give user the best gaming experience and making it as realistic as possible. Got off the impression that they really cared about what WE wanted to experience at the end of the day, it was all about how WE wanted to play OUR game.

Fast forward today and i get the impression that its how THEY want us to feel about THEIR game. Thats why sometimes you have no control over a game. A philosophy where gamers will feel the need to constantly open up the wallet so they get the illusion of improving/controlling the team, thus, we will see handicapping mechanics that will make its way even to SP content.

The cynic in me says the new engine might bring change, but i reckon we wont see much difference in how the game with feel and play.
Over the last decade, and increasingly year by year, these games have become more of a football themed slot machine/skinner box than an actual attempt at football simulation. The action on the pitch is secondary, and is bound to be shaped and balanced around the modes and players bringing in the most money. That's not people like us.

It makes far more sense for them to focus on things like making a 96 rated featured player more desirable than last months 94 rated version, than to make CPU tactics, transfers and squad rotations more realistic and varied in Master League. The money they could invest in developing those single players modes and features/AI would be far more effectively spent if they used it to sign a "Legend" like David Beckham on an exclusive contract to be in MyClub etc...

A new engine or new console won't change this philosophy towards how the game is designed.

Last edited:
As a PC gamer, I'm happy we get to keep our mods, our enlighten, our +400 stadiums, and our grass. Oh that so important grass that the devs can't get right but the guys here can.

HOWEVER, it would be suicide to release the game without a stadium editor/creator/importer. I don't see the guys here modelling in UE4-5 for free to make +400 stadiums.

I am moderately excited about PES 2022 - I can't lie.
It's what I've been asking for since towards the end of PES 2018.
Some of us wanted both companies to take a break from their yearly release cycle and use that extra time to develop better football games, with more depth, better AI, better graphics, etc because we felt the rush to make the deadlines was hurting the final products. One of those companies is finally doing it.

I haven't touched PES 2020 in many months now and will certainly be skipping PES 2021 altogether, but I cannot see KONAMI failing with 2022.

Some keep bringing the PES 2014 debacle. Yet, not long ago, a new PES 2014 thread was started and many people were praising it. Personally, I hated that game with a passion. But you cannot compare PES 2014 with what's going on now.

Konami didn't take a year off from PES 2013 to 2014 to develop a bug-less game. Most of us felt that PES 2014 was a step in the right direction but they rushed it. Had they taken an extra year to work on it, it would have been a much, much better game.

Obviously, we are all skeptical now. Because... it's still Konami.
But I have faith that they have been working on it for some time now, and the whole COVID19 situation may have made things harder and slower for the team, so I think it's safe to assume that, even if PES 2022 is already 'a thing', they're probably already behind schedule. But this is just an educated guess.

I believe PES 2022 will be the best start of a new generation from Konami ever.
They screwed up with PES 2008. They screwed up with PES 2014. PES 2018 wasn't that bad.

It'll be a long, long year though.

Absolutely my opinion is the same!

And yes it is 100% CGI in the engine.

Don't be despaired mate lol.It's not worth it.Also i'm not sure that we can call this a trailer.More of a snippet probably.
Well,for the actual 5-10 seconds that this ''trailer'' shows something worth of commenting,the whole Messi thing i mean,at least you can see some nice things if you pay attention and look close.

His legs physique and shape look more realistic and this indicates that we will probably have very good player models.The Barca shirt and the badge when it zooms in looks outstanding,you couldn't tell if this is a real photo or not.Some nice kit physics can be also seen on the shorts when he moves his legs a bit.The kit physics and especially the shorts have been shit for years and looked like they were made out of cement so this is a big improvement in that aspect.
Also his face and overall graphics look amazing and i'm only watching this on my 10 year old Sony Bravia with 1360x768 resolution lol.Even the facial animations look like they're gonna be much improved,if you pay attention he tries to give a cheeky smile on his last frame and it looks very natural,not like the fish mouths that we had until now.And all these just from a 5-10 second snippet..Oh and the grass and boots also looks great.

And besides of all that,people are just excited that we're finally getting a strong really next gen engine after all this time..No need to feel despair about it lol.

For clarity, I'm not genuinely desperate about the situation. Hyperbole innit.

Although the breakdown of the quote, trailer, unquote, kind of sums it up. Of all PES's ailments, how Messi looks is way down the list.

I am excited about it. But I was excited about PES 2008 on PS3, when Konami may as well have ripped up my heart, chopped it up and put it in a wheelie bin. And even though it's going to be an extra year of work, that's just for the demo or release, before it's whored out to whoever shouts loudest on YouTube.

Playing devil's advocate, I'd like to outlaw developer patching. You've got one shot to get it right and if you mess it up you fall on your sword.

As a PC gamer, I'm happy we get to keep our mods, our enlighten, our +400 stadiums, and our grass. Oh that so important grass that the devs can't get right but the guys here can.

HOWEVER, it would be suicide to release the game without a stadium editor/creator/importer. I don't see the guys here modelling in UE4-5 for free to make +400 stadiums.

That's not necessarily true.
They could encrypt the files with their own methods if they wanted to. Just because they're using the Unreal Engine doesn't mean they won't try to pack the files inside an encrypted container.

Hopefully, that won't be the case.

They could encrypt the files with their own methods if they wanted to. Just because they're using the Unreal Engine doesn't mean they won't try to pack the files inside an encrypted container.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, FIFA is encrypted right? I remember because I did some personal modding in FIFA19 and we had to insert some kind of code in the tool to make it work.

not really into programming but im hopeful they can somehow use their already existing assets. if not they will again neglect the gameplay and spend time building stadiums and creating faces for 6 years rather

No dude. That’s the release date for the public to use, but devs already have UE5. Hellblade 2 is using the engine. PES 2022 will look amazing, UE5 will have endless already existing hq assets, so Konami won’t have to build everything from scratch, like Pes dev team don’t have to worry too much about graphical textures, physics, and animations. It’s much more accessible this next gen with UE5 and everything is better processed. Also Konami can hire people so easily to work with them as most indie and many big companies use the unreal engine and have experiences with it, and the epic team behind the engine team can help Konami on how some thing works if they had any trouble developing. Fox engine, you had to build everything from scratch, as no one uses it outside of the Pes dev team, Kojima and his team were no longer there to help and consult, or to improve the engine.

I want to trust you about that in bold but let's wait.

Personally, I think it's pointless wondering HOW they're going to make the next version. Fed up with PES 2020 I fired up PES 2017, and lo and behold, the defensive line, the midfield line, and the forward line are all where they are supposed to be. So in 2020 some idiot decided to mess up the most basic of football principles by parking the defensive line on your own 18-yard line, the midfield right in the centre of the pitch, and your forwards on the opposition's 18-yard line with massive gaps between all three. So my point is, if they've moved away from such BASIC football principles, what does it matter which graphics engine they're going to use?

And you all forget that PES Developer Team works with Unreal Engine for 2 years.

Personally, I think it's pointless wondering HOW they're going to make the next version. Fed up with PES 2020 I fired up PES 2017, and lo and behold, the defensive line, the midfield line, and the forward line are all where they are supposed to be. So in 2020 some idiot decided to mess up the most basic of football principles by parking the defensive line on your own 18-yard line, the midfield right in the centre of the pitch, and your forwards on the opposition's 18-yard line with massive gaps between all three. So my point is, if they've moved away from such BASIC football principles, what does it matter which graphics engine they're going to use?

I'm sorry, but I can't understand such criticism, if I understood you correctly, with all these 18 yards, etc., sorry, I don't know much about these units.
In my opinion, PES 2020 has enough tools to manipulate the player's positions in real-time. If you want the midfielders to sort themselves close to defenders and cover the spaces, you just switch to a blue/defensive mentality. I'm not trying to defend PES 2020, I don't like this game at all but for a bunch of other reasons.

Of course, graphics are important! It has ALWAYS been. Ever since the NES, we talk and have tried to play the best and advance looking and fun games. Of course, sometimes a game looks better but it's not that interesting, or opposite, but why should we choose one over the other? Why should there be compromises?
What are you afraid of? Konami not to put too much effort into what the game looks like and forget about the gameplay?

In reality, the graphics and trying to look as close as possible to real life is one of the main reasons that push the industry and hardware forward. The Unreal engine is one of the best and if is used properly and the full capacity, Konami has a real opportunity to make the most realistic-looking football game. We all know that gameplay will be better than any FIFA.

You are right, 4.25 seems to be fair choice for now.

I was thinking a good nostalgic selling point would be to bring back the original ML squad as well. Would be nice to see Castolo and friends in Unreal Engine!
YES! i had that thought like a thousend times! even OF makers brought them back!
this would be to nice... (to be true)!! man...

imagine the default squad would be back AND you could turn on/off team spirit (wich is correctly implementet this time)! :LOVE:

I hope they get rid of those damn yellow pitches and work on lighting. The contrast/brightness is all over the place in PES 2020 and it doesn't matter if I play with the sliders/HDR settings, it always looks awful on PS4 Pro (and yes, all my other games look amazing so it's not my tv settings!)

Back
Top Bottom