eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Anyone have any tips on how to stop the strikers turning on a sixpence and firing into the corner? Like what buttons to use etc?
I’m far from a good defender on Pro Evo, but sometimes it just feels like the opposition has too much space or that they can roll your press too easily. I’m really reluctant/trying my hardest not to blame “scripting” this year, but it does feel a little like that at times.

It can be tough if they've 'faced up' against your defender. However, holding 'shoot' to bring a second defender in for pressure early enough can help, or if you can do it before they actual receive the ball, Super-cancel and step off a yard. Being too tight on an attacker and getting turned is a pretty common mistake in football. Stepping off means you can get a foot in as they turn. being too close means they can keep their body between you and the ball and prevent the tackle/draw a foul instead.

It can be tough if they've 'faced up' against your defender. However, holding 'shoot' to bring a second defender in for pressure early enough can help, or if you can do it before they actual receive the ball, Super-cancel and step off a yard. Being too tight on an attacker and getting turned is a pretty common mistake in football. Stepping off means you can get a foot in as they turn. being too close means they can keep their body between you and the ball and prevent the tackle/draw a foul instead.
What’s the best player to control when applying the secondary press then? I always tend (quick decision because of the horrific switching) to control a centre half and apply the secondary press (usually with the other centre half), but most of the time they don’t close the space enough and they can just fire a shot into the corner.

Anyone have any tips on how to stop the strikers turning on a sixpence and firing into the corner? Like what buttons to use etc?
I’m far from a good defender on Pro Evo, but sometimes it just feels like the opposition has too much space or that they can roll your press too easily. I’m really reluctant/trying my hardest not to blame “scripting” this year, but it does feel a little like that at times.

Drop off. Don't press him too aggressively let them get the ball. Then apply second player pressure and then use the controlled player to jump in and focus on blocking the shot of just press them and take the ball.

Also make sure you don't play a super deep line.

Oh... believe you me! I'm getting 3-5 per game on average in 15 minute matches.
ON AVERAGE. That doesn't mean EVERY SINGLE GAME.

I’ve just played Villa vs Sheffield Utd 15mins, Villa 5 fouls Sheffield Utd 3, I like to play a passing game, I’ll rephrase that, I have to play a passing game cos ain’t good at skill yet! I think it makes a big difference, if you play the skill game there’s going to be more contact, and more contact surely means more fouls? :?

What’s the best player to control when applying the secondary press then? I always tend (quick decision because of the horrific switching) to control a centre half and apply the secondary press (usually with the other centre half), but most of the time they don’t close the space enough and they can just fire a shot into the corner.
Have a look on what your AI controlled mates are doing. I let them run for themselves and then take over control of pressing. I don’t press too far away from the opponent. Long runs don’t make sense, imo.! But when my mates close the opponent down by themselves or going in that direction I press pressure or double pressure.
I let my games flow a lot btw.!
I’m not chasing anyone around the pitch. I try to do what I do in real life. Closing gaps, so the opponent can’t make a pass. I pressure the opponent a little; letting my overrun mate catch up to the action.
2020 let’s you do that so nicely. A mix of pressuring with the guy at sticks, pressuring with one or 2 mates and switching with RS constantly (it’s so nice when you are already there where they want to play the ball to! :) )!
It’s like a dance sometimes, when I pin them down in their own third. :D

Edit: I saved a nice video to showcase this because it really stood out to me.

If you have little time, you just want the closest which is (usually) the selected secondary player. Best is a DM because they're most likely to be the other side, then an FB before the CB. But I still prefer breaking the CB off the striker if possible.

Like he makes his hay; with elegance!
:APPLAUD:

Ok one more match and then I’ll edit some video footage. Need to show you guys some of my scenes. :)

I went to look at what comes with my graphics card and I need to update my drivers to do this. They're far too old (I play video games besides PES little enough that I ONLY upgrade if I need to, don't fix what isn't broken ;) ).

I'm always doing a research of the strikers, AMF and wingers before each game. I'm closing down their dominant foot and sometimes let them turn and shoot with the weak one.

Jesus Christ, fair play to you..
I dont even know which is dominant foot of my own strikers.. :LOL: :LOL:
I think this is the first football game where dominant foot matters so much. For example, if you try and cross the ball with Chillwell's right foot you will never have decent crosses inside the box. I love the individuality in this year's game. As I use Leicester, knowing the strengths of the players is crucial and also a joy.
4 days ago I scored exactly the same goal Madisson scored against Spurs irl. I think I've saved the replay so I'll try later to upload it.
Needless to say I'm still enjoying the game. It has its flaws but the fundamentals of football are there.

I think this is the first football game where dominant foot matters so much. For example, if you try and cross the ball with Chillwell's right foot you will never have decent crosses inside the box. I love the individuality in this year's game. As I use Leicester, knowing the strengths of the players is crucial and also a joy.
4 days ago I scored exactly the same goal Madisson scored against Spurs irl. I think I've saved the replay so I'll try later to upload it.
Needless to say I'm still enjoying the game. It has its flaws but the fundamentals of football are there.

Posts like this are a joy..It echos my own experiences with the game and how even without assistance I’m feeling the player traits which you’ve highlighted..

I don’t know which version your playing but in my case I have a nicely balanced game that is always heaven to pick up after a hard day or for a little late mental aerobics(superstar,pa0,manual shooting,offline only)...It’s become my virtual chess..I’m always thinking about plays and possibilities while I’m not playing it..

It’s Become a little bit of a grower for me..that’s only got better..

Ive Been a bit quiet..Will upload some captures from the last few weeks of play with the vanilla version.

Last edited:
Have a look on what your AI controlled mates are doing. I let them run for themselves and then take over control of pressing. I don’t press too far away from the opponent. Long runs don’t make sense, imo.! But when my mates close the opponent down by themselves or going in that direction I press pressure or double pressure.
I let my games flow a lot btw.!
I’m not chasing anyone around the pitch. I try to do what I do in real life. Closing gaps, so the opponent can’t make a pass. I pressure the opponent a little; letting my overrun mate catch up to the action.
2020 let’s you do that so nicely. A mix of pressuring with the guy at sticks, pressuring with one or 2 mates and switching with RS constantly (it’s so nice when you are already there where they want to play the ball to! :) )!
It’s like a dance sometimes, when I pin them down in their own third. :D

Edit: I saved a nice video to showcase this because it really stood out to me.

You’ve clicked..Nice breakdown and explanation how to play the game..(great post)..

What I do..Just try to play football(patiently)..

I can't be the only one struggling with dribbling on here?.. Seriously can't get round a player unless I double tap sprint /shot dummy.

Playing on tp if that means anything

Dear pes fans,
I’m tired off inconsistent gameplay. I want that I miss a ball because I shoot with my wrong foot, I’m running to fast, or i’ve a bad player. Not because the cpu choose for me! Fifa is bad in gameplay but shooting was more consistent for me last years. But if I go for PES masterleague wich pes is less scripted? 2017 or 2020? I’ve played 2018 and 2019 for to long (scripted!), no option for me. So less scripting, and fun gameplay which is better? 2017, 2020?

Ps.
I’m 31 and I was in love with pes since PES3 released for the pc! After that I have played a lot of different football games, also fifa. But last years i’ve the feeling that If you are a single player man you can better play older football games...

I play one xbox one, but option files isn’t a big thing for me.

So less scripting, and fun gameplay which is better? 2017, 2020?
You gonna have to give me another few weeks to answer that. I had most wonderful 5 seasons on pes17. This one I barely scratched the surface. Dont really have a clear picture at this point.
But at least you are considering two best versions from all modern Pes games to play.

I can't be the only one struggling with dribbling on here?.. Seriously can't get round a player unless I double tap sprint /shot dummy.

Playing on tp if that means anything
Try to hold L2/LT and quickly tap the left stick in one direction and then the opposite.
Example: If you're facing your opponent's goal, then flick the right stick to up and then down while holding L2 (when running with the ball, NOT sprinting) and you'll fool defenders.

Try to hold L2/LT and quickly tap the left stick in one direction and then the opposite.
Example: If you're facing your opponent's goal, then flick the right stick to up and then down while holding L2 (when running with the ball, NOT sprinting) and you'll fool defenders.
L2 is a manual modifier on default. You meant R2? The new feint thingy?
People play on so many different control settings - it might get confusing.

L2 is a manual modifier on default. You meant R2? The new feint thingy?
People play on so many different control settings - it might get confusing.

I meant L2!
When you have the ball, and you move with it without using R1 or R2, and you hold L2 the player makes smoother turns and sharper moves. You just need to time it right.

I used to think it was placebo until a few guys in here mentioned it.

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/e...hread-ps4-xbox-one.80779/page-92#post-3434899

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/e...hread-ps4-xbox-one.80779/page-93#post-3434937

So Manual modifier gives better control at dribbling? Might try it later. Auto feint ON does not seem to work with me, also I need to be more patient when dribbling with my LMF/RMF because the AI waits until I sprint to tackle me.

Cutting videos on PS4 for over an hour isn’t fun. I got them all down to the essential stuff and gotta put em together tomorrow. Wanna play some more. ;)
Deleted some videos by accident. One awesome 3:0 win with ManUnited against Juve was a victim. Anyway.

I sat down for 30 min. now and edited my Rangers. It’s derby time away! :D
Fingers crossed we can kick them from top table!! :)

I thought it was common knowledge that L2 creates smoother movements, like that’s what you’re supposed to do or something haha. But it really does, you can keep the ball close to your body and turn in a 360.

Anyways, that’s where my Pes prowess ends..

Nothing too exciting for a first video. A 1-0 win away to West Ham. No fouls from me, but plenty of physical play. However, I think it might be ML scripting for the end of the season (it's like game 36 in the PL) but they didn't seem to really want the ball so only 2 fouls from them. One a yellow though.

Either way, this is me badly playing PES 2020.

I might switch to recording video in 60fps as it hurts my head a little to watch it back this jerky! It's uploaded in QHD (1440p) by the way. You might need to wait for Youtube to finish processing the higher resolutions though.

Posts like this are a joy..It echos my own experiences with the game and how even without assistance I’m feeling the player traits which you’ve highlighted..

I don’t know which version your playing but in my case I have a nicely balanced game that is always heaven to pick up after a hard day or for a little late mental aerobics(superstar,pa0,manual shooting,offline only)...It’s become my virtual chess..I’m always thinking about plays and possibilities while I’m not playing it..

It’s Become a little bit of a grower for me..that’s only got better..

Ive Been a bit quiet..Will upload some captures from the last few weeks of play with the vanilla version.
Exactly this. Every game is like chess in my first ML with Leicester also. TP, PA1 for now, 25min. Home game against CP and they completely shut me down in D resulting to a draw. Next game vs Liverpool away, I'm down 2-1, managed a very lucky equaliser and the whole game immediately opened up with both sides using the highest attack level. I hit them twice in counter attack getting a brilliant 2-4 win and now we're sitting 4th.
Getting many fouls in 25min games by just dribbling using LS with the kinds of Madisson, Gray, Tielemans and Albrighton. Especially with Madisson, the guy is unstoppable. TS right now is 84 resulting to some great plays.
I have yet to encounter any scripting, last time I had so much fun was back in WE9 limewire edition.
I hope KONAMI fixes the loose ball hesitation bug and tones down a bit the strikers turn and shoot. It's not that bad but I think it needs to be toned down a notch. +some more cpu AI physicality inside the box and we have the best football videogame ever.

Exactly this. Every game is like chess in my first ML with Leicester also. TP, PA1 for now, 25min. Home game against CP and they completely shut me down in D resulting to a draw. Next game vs Liverpool away, I'm down 2-1, managed a very lucky equaliser and the whole game immediately opened up with both sides using the highest attack level. I hit them twice in counter attack getting a brilliant 2-4 win and now we're sitting 4th.
Getting many fouls in 25min games by just dribbling using LS with the kinds of Madisson, Gray, Tielemans and Albrighton. Especially with Madisson, the guy is unstoppable. TS right now is 84 resulting to some great plays.
I have yet to encounter any scripting, last time I had so much fun was back in WE9 limewire edition.
I hope KONAMI fixes the loose ball hesitation bug and tones down a bit the strikers turn and shoot. It's not that bad but I think it needs to be toned down a notch. +some more cpu AI physicality inside the box and we have the best football videogame ever.

i like that you're playing 25mins.

30mins match on 19 felt better than shorter duration matches so will have to try this at some point.

Pes 2020 patched 1.2 is a truly horrible,horrible game of football.

I really want kits and everytime I think I'll give it another go on 1.2 its just abhorrent.

Cpu predictable patterns of play
Cpu doing nothing but shooting hard on the edge of the box
Laser passing
Massive gaps all over the field
Aggressive AI
Missing animations (definitely less of them)
It's like watching a game on steroids.

It's like it's a competition from the cpu to get to your box in as less passes as possible.

Back
Top Bottom