eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like these videos, visually it looks great. However I need to see the AI properly. Fouls and shot variation are so important. 2017 last night in CL game I was fouled by the AI 5 times in the 1st half and they were proper situational fouls. The AI shot from 35 yards , just so refreshing. This needs to come back

Because its not the same thing at all. You can change animation, pass, shoot, dribbling speed and generally everything like with the game speed. He meant that the speed wasnt touched but the animations were tweaked and due to that u might feel it quicker how players react to the ball.

I feel like this argument could go on for 20 pages so I'll agree to disagree. I understand the distinction he was trying to make, but for me you can't divorce responsiveness and animation speed from the perceived speed of the game, which is ultmately what we care about. If you can do things quicker the game will be quicker overall.

To me it just looks like animations have been artificially sped up to make dribbling/skill moves more effective, rather than having it be based on clever changes of direction and player momentum, and I'm not a fan of that.

Here is a prime example of why it's so bad for the game:

Lindelof takes a bad touch directly towards an incoming attacker, but it doesn't matter one bit because "muh responsiveness", the pass button press results in an instant response + sliding animation and he manages to offload the ball without any danger.

And this is what people like MidniteKid are feeding back, they don't seem to realise what the effect of requests for increased responsiveness will be. How about instead of asking for more responsiveness, ask for more player momentum like in PES 2014? That would be a far better way to give skillful players an edge, rather than just breaking the fundamentals of the game.

Last edited:
I feel like this argument could go on for 20 pages so I'll agree to disagree. I understand the distinction he was trying to make, but for me you can't divorce responsiveness and animation speed from the perceived speed of the game, which is ultmately what we care about. If you can do things quicker the game will be quicker overall.

To me it just looks like animations have been artificially sped up to make dribbling/skill moves more effective, rather than having it be based on clever changes of direction and player momentum, and I'm not a fan of that.

Lindelof takes a bad touch directly towards an incoming attacker, but it doesn't matter one bit because "muh responsiveness", the pass button press results in an instant response + sliding animation and he manages to offload the ball without any danger.

And this is what people like MidniteKid are feeding back, they don't seem to realise what the effect of requests for increased responsiveness will be. How about instead of asking for more responsiveness, ask for more player momentum like in PES 2014? That would be a far better way to give skillful players an edge, rather than just breaking the fundamentals of the game.
What you are describing here is a very big issue that we have now with Pes and possibly the root cause for some of the gamebreaking mechanics..

Words can have different meanings for different people. You might think you are asking for one thing and (if they listen) they might fix something completely different. Its very hard to explain exactly what you want to be improved in the game, especially on twitter with limited characters.

I say that I want shot variety like in Pes17. But then people say Pes19 has more variety, coz you have rising shots, dipping shots and whatnot shots.. but what I mean is - most of them go on target and you cant bottle a shot the way you could on 17. Thats variety to me. Outcome, rather than look and spin.

And that goes for everything. People might end up arguing about something, without even realising that they want the same thing.. clusterfuck.. :LOL:

In my gameplaymod for 2019 the animation speed for dribbling is quicker then in the vanilla but only that the rest is even slower, the skilled players have much more individuality this way. Im glad this change made to 2020.

And no its not gamespeed as the rest is unchanged but we :CONF:just found a way to blame someone already if the game doesnt fit our needs? Sure its the midnightkid who broke 2020. :WASTED:

AHHH... i'm not sure about that... I'm not sure that I like this new R2... I don't see any reason to change R2 with Right Stick ... R2 always was close control, now its skill moves? Yes in PS2 era with R2 you can do step over and back-drag, but was close control, close and precise first touch. Right stick now is close control... Now they go back to PES 2009-PES2010 skill system when all skills were on left stick + R2 + right stick or what? That was the worst decision by Konami back then...

quote-don-t-fix-what-s-not-broken-robert-atkins-131-36-57.jpg
I'll give myself the time and patience to find out about it myself when the demo hits.
I’ll be back with my opinion on that control change when I’ve played some matches.
Right now, I can think of it going both ways. Nice addition to the controls OR making an unnecessary change.
I need to feel it!! Play it.

Last edited:
From the moment I see Ronaldinho there on the video cover, I see how far from simulation this has gone through the years.. It reminds me of FIFA

AHHH... i'm not sure about that... I'm not sure that I like this new R2... I don't see any reason to change R2 with Right Stick ... R2 always was close control, now its skill moves? Yes in PS2 era with R2 you can do step over and back-drag, but was close control, close and precise first touch. Right stick now is close control... Now they go back to PES 2009-PES2010 skill system when all skills were on left stick + R2 + right stick or what? That was the worst decision by Konami back then...
i personally feel that the lighting on the players are way off.
it is mostly the kits i feel just have this "unnatural" glow to them. I the Man utd kits have the wrong shade of red.
It just looks off to me

From what I understand about it, it's potentially more intuitive. Here's what I can glean:
  • The skills which don't touch the ball now use RS+LS with R2/RT as the modifier, unlike before.
    • They've also been simplified: a step-over or scissor feint now much easier indeed.
    • There's an emphasis on no-touch stuff too, but that doesn't use anything right-sided; seems it's triggered by just letting the ball run beside you but still being in possession. (How loose will it actually be?)
  • But other things which are actually touches of the ball remain mapped to just RS+LS
    • E.g., draw and open/close, scotch move
I think potentially this way of doing this is a great move, because it sets up the tacit connection in the user's head between R2/RT (already the special control button for other commands) and no-touch skill moves, and the right stick itself as a way of redirecting the ball in tight spaces. It strikes me as more streamlined and much more intuitive. Won't know until we've got used to it in the demo.

The separate question – or worry – is whether it levels out the playing field in terms of those who mastered skills before, and makes them too simple, overpowered, or overused. Guess only time will tell on that one.

I think whatever happens, it looks much better than 2019 specifically. I think close control is terribly broken right now, and has been for a couple (or a few) years.

i personally feel that the lighting on the players are way off.
it is mostly the kits i feel just have this "unnatural" glow to them. I the Man utd kits have the wrong shade of red.
It just looks off to me

Glad there is option within the game do adjust colors. Also every tv on its own will change the colors anyways.

Otherwise, speeding up the animations makes some movements looks more organic, contextual, natural (dont know the right word). Its so strange when your player does a volley but he swings his leg too slowly and the outcome is a cannon shot if you know what I mean. Speeding up animations should end the that scoop feeling on passes and shots that PES always have.

Dont know why but I liked this latests videos.

on console you can play offline. no need to be connected to their servers! 2017 for example, loads real quick these days because the game cant connect to non-existing servers!

That's nice to know.

I can't play Pes 19 cause half of the time my net is dead and so I can't even start the game.

That's nice to know.

I can't play Pes 19 cause half of the time my net is dead and so I can't even start the game.
Isn’t there an offline mode for steam?! Connect to their servers once, set up offline mode, play offline.
I’m not sure but I think I read something about it. I’m not a computer guy, you know.

Isn’t that RGB option missing in the latest titles?! Could be, that it’s only missing when playing with HDR enabled (that’s what I have set up)!

Yeah, the RGB settings been gone since PES 2014.
We only got back the Brightness/Contrast Option in, since PES 2018.

From what I understand about it, it's potentially more intuitive. Here's what I can glean:

• The skills which don't touch the ball now use RS+LS with R2/RT as the modifier, unlike before.

• They've also been simplified: a step-over or scissor feint now much easier indeed.
      There's an emphasis on no-touch stuff too, but that doesn't use anything right-sided; seems it's triggered by just letting the ball run beside you but still being in possession. (How loose will it actually be?)
    But other things which are actually touches of the ball remain mapped to just RS+LS

• E.g., draw and open/close, scotch move
I think potentially this way of doing this is a great move, because it sets up the tacit connection in the user's head between R2/RT (already the special control button for other commands) and no-touch skill moves, and the right stick itself as a way of redirecting the ball in tight spaces. It strikes me as more streamlined and much more intuitive. Won't know until we've got used to it in the demo.

The separate question – or worry – is whether it levels out the playing field in terms of those who mastered skills before, and makes them too simple, overpowered, or overused. Guess only time will tell on that one.

I think whatever happens, it looks much better than 2019 specifically. I think close control is terribly broken right now, and has been for a couple (or a few) years.

I think R2 will trigger superslow pace without touching the ball and standing near it:

Similar to when you release all buttons in PS2 PES.

Then if you push LS, the player'll do a footfeint, My thoughts is this feints could be in 360 degrees.

About Rs touches. I agree it could add huge amount of freedom specially when you combine it with other moves. Like a pass, a fake shoot, an skill, an speed burst,...whatever you want. It could be great.

Last edited:
I think R2 will trigger superslow pace without touching the ball and standing near it:

That skill video showed (@4.16) a pop-up tutorial note that mentioned releasing all buttons to regulate distance to the ball. Maybe it's back to PS2 pes days?

Isn’t there an offline mode for steam?! Connect to their servers once, set up offline mode, play offline.
I’m not sure but I think I read something about it. I’m not a computer guy, you know.
There is an offline mode in Steam, but the game doesn't support it.

Otherwise, speeding up the animations makes some movements looks more organic, contextual, natural (dont know the right word). Its so strange when your player does a volley but he swings his leg too slowly and the outcome is a cannon shot if you know what I mean. Speeding up animations should end the that scoop feeling on passes and shots that PES always have.

Dont know why but I liked this latests videos.

Well, I sort of agree, but that should be a case of fine-tuning certain animations until they look appropriate for the outcome. Just globally increasing animation speed/skipping/responsiveness has the kind of nasty effect I showed and results in things look more slidey overall. It also makes it quicker, dumber and less likely to produce fouls and 50/50 situations. The Manchester build is a big step back towards PES 2019 imo.

I fully expect to be the last cynic standing just like every year. :SMUG: I heard Chris say he was excited in that podcast so he is out.

Last edited:
I don't see many people talking about the new feature in ML that allows you to jump straight into the season without a transfer window, so you get to play with the teams as they are in real life, with no transfers to begin with.

Cool addition, Fifa has had it for years, and has always been something I wanted in ML as I like to keep it realistic in my first season.

I don't see many people talking about the new feature in ML that allows you to jump straight into the season without a transfer window, so you get to play with the teams as they are in real life, with no transfers to begin with.

Cool addition, Fifa has had it for years, and has always been something I wanted in ML as I like to keep it realistic in my first season.
Its because AI was so soul destroying in Pes19, that no matter what features they bring - if AI is not sorted out - its pointless..
Thats people biggest fear now, the AI. Thats why everyone is so obsessed with analysing every little clip..

But yeah, it is a good feature. This and ability to set Transfer Frequency at the start. Back in the day, when this feature was still in the game, I always used to set frequency to "Low", so for many seasons teams kept their players and their "ID"..

Then if you push LS, the player'll do a footfeint, My thoughts is this feints could be in 360 degrees.

About Rs touches. I agree it could add huge amount of freedom specially when you combine it with other moves. Like a pass, a fake shoot, an skill, an speed burst,...whatever you want. It could be great.
I think that might be right. Would make sense, in that again it's a use of R2 for no-touch mechanics.

That skill video showed (@4.16) a pop-up tutorial note that mentioned releasing all buttons to regulate distance to the ball. Maybe it's back to PS2 pes days?
Is it this one? I screencapped it from PESEP's video.
iKvcNzZ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom