eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This last video is really impressive. I don't believe that game is PES 2019's evolution. The huge amount of new stuff working perfectly well shows clearly PES 2020 has been developed for a few years in parallel to the last PES editions.

The oldschool PES hater role has anything or very few stuff to disapprove. If the new eFootbal PES rebrand brings to us this realistic gameplay aproach, it's welcomed for me mates.
I remember you it isn't the first time the game changes the name:

ISS(SNES) -> ISS PRO EVOLUTION(PS1) -> PES(PS2)

I agree on this, PES 2020 is more of an evolution compared to 2019 than 2019 was to 2018. I really like the graphics tbh.

The huge amount of new stuff working perfectly well shows clearly PES 2020 has been developed for a few years in parallel to the last PES editions.
Yes, Im sure they have few versions in development, working on all of them in parallel. One of them has fouls, one of them has dynamic weather and one of them has penalties..
C'mon, man - im not trying to stir anything here, but this is ridiculous statement.
If I was to believe in any other version of the game being worked on in parallel, it would be one on another engine, as jumping from engine to engine in one year is very challenging task (which Pes14 has shown)

Because everything else is perfect, here is my outrageous complain about Legend team kits :)

They are not Legends from 1910. I guess. I hate those kits. And beside it is stupid, they are also poorly done.
And most of default kits from pes 2019 are trash. Even licensed. There are serious lack of details. No fine textures, it is just bad.

About Edit mode in demo... I really expect some dumb s.hit from Konami to be done.
Like forcing some payment for community patches... I don`t know how they gonna do it, but there will be some mobile games practice involved for sure.

All these years Konami used to messed up your perfect custom patch with their stupid DLC with 4 faces and 5 pairs of boots.

Even licensed teams like Celtic and Rangers were half ass done. Leagues also. Bloody zero of details.
Absolutely EVERYTHING was up to community to make game somehow enjoyable. If they smelled some money milking there, we are screwed.

Because everything else is perfect, here is my outrageous complain about Legend team kits :)

They are not Legends from 1910. I guess. I hate those kits. And beside it is stupid, they are also poorly done.
And most of default kits from pes 2019 are trash. Even licensed. There are serious lack of details. No fine textures, it is just bad.

About Edit mode in demo... I really expect some dumb s.hit from Konami to be done.
Like forcing some payment for community patches... I don`t know how they gonna do it, but there will be some mobile games practice involved for sure.

All these years Konami used to messed up your perfect custom patch with their stupid DLC with 4 faces and 5 pairs of boots.

Even licensed teams like Celtic and Rangers were half ass done. Leagues also. Bloody zero of details.
Absolutely EVERYTHING was up to community to make game somehow enjoyable. If they smelled some money milking there, we are screwed.
Faces, kits and all these things still will be for free brother, konami is stupid but make that move will be like shoot in knee, easy guys

Yes, Im sure they have few versions in development, working on all of them in parallel. One of them has fouls, one of them has dynamic weather and one of them has penalties..
C'mon, man - im not trying to stir anything here, but this is ridiculous statement.
If I was to believe in any other version of the game being worked on in parallel, it would be one on another engine, as jumping from engine to engine in one year is very challenging task (which Pes14 has shown)

"Sorry guys, at a certain point we understood we were too behind and left the old gen games a bit back, however we developed a completely new game with a new enginge in the background in all this years, it's the most complete, simulative yet fun and accesible edition of all the saga"..

Then I'll wake up..

Ok. Then you think as experienced game dev it's easy and reasonable make the game more and more arcade for 3 or 4 years in a row and suddently focus on realism and achive it in 12 month.

Fouls and penalties exist in the game, AI behaviours is other stuff...
Dynamic weather is usefull, dynamic lighting is pure unusefull aesthetic.

Oh yes..the dynamic lightning.

Well, more than half of a stadiums are unplayable during the day.

I dont know about realism, but I would rather have clear visual on the pitch, than some nasty shadows or burning sun lightning blinding me.

Ok. Then you think as experienced game dev it's easy and reasonable make the game more and more arcade for 3 or 4 years in a row and suddently focus on realism and achive it in 12 month.

Yes, I think its possible.
You play around with sliders and game speed on Fifa and you can get ultra arcade or simulation in one game, by just tweaking things. Thats what they are doing here. Tweaking things and adding some animations, increasing first touch error and that kind of stuff.

I also wouldnt rush to call it realistic simulation until the game is out.

so whats the evidence?

I played Roma away in Master League yesterday and for some reason their home stadium was that generic Stadio Nazionale or whatever it's called that looks like the Olimpico rather than the actual Olimpico. I can change Roma back to Olimpico in the stadium settings however it's only unlicensed teams who can have their stadiums changed so it does add some weight to that theory?

I played Roma away in Master League yesterday and for some reason their home stadium was that generic Stadio Nazionale or whatever it's called that looks like the Olimpico rather than the actual Olimpico. I can change Roma back to Olimpico in the stadium settings however it's only unlicensed teams who can have their stadiums changed so it does add some weight to that theory?
No way, they can't change anything existing in PES 19, doesn't affect that at all. Must be something with your settings or maybe it was so before but you didn't notice.

Yes, I think its possible.
You play around with sliders and game speed on Fifa and you can get ultra arcade or simulation in one game, by just tweaking things. Thats what they are doing here. Tweaking things and adding some animations, increasing first touch error and that kind of stuff.

I also wouldnt rush to call it realistic simulation until the game is out.

I've made a few gameplay mods this year with a realistic aproach, and people seems so satisfied with them:
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/new-gameplay-with-dt18_x64-cpk.79372/page-206#post-3403442

Modding dt18 file it's like tweaking Fifa sliders but hardcore. You can access to the whole gameplay parameters there.
I can assure you that if the whole Evoweb community worked toguether on it for a year, we wouldn't achive anything at PES 2020 level.

And if you say you only see this changes on PES 2020, now I know everything.

Last edited:
No way, they can't change anything existing in PES 19, doesn't affect that at all. Must be something with your settings or maybe it was so before but you didn't notice.
Funny thing,I'm quite sure Roma or Lazio had Stadio nazionale as a home ground when I bought the game,quite sure it was Lazio.
I've changed it since,but at release probably a Konami error

It could be my settings but I don't see how it's possible, I play on console so the modding with option files is limited and doesn't involve changing stadiums. As far as I'm aware all other teams with their proper stadiums in game have the option to change stadium greyed out (including Lazio who share the ground), yet Roma don't. You are right that it could have been that way since the start of the game but I'd not noticed if it was.

It could be my settings but I don't see how it's possible, I play on console so the modding with option files is limited and doesn't involve changing stadiums. As far as I'm aware all other teams with their proper stadiums in game have the option to change stadium greyed out (including Lazio who share the ground), yet Roma don't. You are right that it could have been that way since the start of the game but I'd not noticed if it was.
Very weird
IMG_20190707_150038.jpg

IMG_20190707_150021.jpg

This video is a perfect example of what gameplay videos should be.
This man tries to show us all the new stuff konami added in pes 20, and i really liked what i saw.
Yeah, I posted that video last night. Really good, you can see many details, especially the dribbling and skills..much better video than most of them we have seen.

I've made a few gameplay mods this year with a realistic aproach, and people seems so satisfied with them:
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/new-gameplay-with-dt18_x64-cpk.79372/page-206#post-3403442

Modding dt18 file it's like tweaking Fifa sliders but hardcore. You can access to the whole gameplay parameters there.
I can assure you that if the whole Evoweb community worked toguether on it for a year, we wouldn't achive anything at PES 2020 level.

And if you say you only see this changes on PES 2020, now I know everything.
He doesn't mean that you "ONLY" need to tweak what's ALREADY in Pes2019 to achieve what's in or close to PES2020.

He only gave you the "FIFA sliders" example to tell you that you don't need to develop another game to make it more a more SIM or more ARCADE game.
Both type of gameplay can be possible in one game. Of course, there's a limit in what you can achieve, that's why you need to add more elements or codes/programming so that more things are possible.

Thank you, @Elanimator . I was going to dwell deeper into that conversation and explain my chain of thoughts, but decided to cut the grass instead.. :LOL:
Also - i didnt understand what he meant by the last sentence. That threw me off completely..
Thanks for clearing things out.

He doesn't mean that you "ONLY" need to tweak what's ALREADY in Pes2019 to achieve what's in or close to PES2020.

He only gave you the "FIFA sliders" example to tell you that you don't need to develop another game to make it more a more SIM or more ARCADE game.
Both type of gameplay can be possible in one game. Of course, there's a limit in what you can achieve, that's why you need to add more elements or codes/programming so that more things are possible.

I understand it mate, I'm not saying that PES 2020 had a totally independent gameplay developement.
What I'm trying to explain is that this huge amount of reworked stuff or new addons haven't been done in one year and "maybe" PES 2019 wasn't the point of departure of PES 2020.

For example, if you mod the ball physics (not improving) on PES 2019 to be more slower or have more natural bounces, you'll start to see AI ball awareness issues, bugs on traping the ball animations, etc...
Now, look to PES 2020 ball physics and think what amount of work has been done in other areas in consequence.

Sounds promising if true. Maybe all of Serie B will be there? What's discouraging is that the ratings will probably be ridiculous, like usually for South America...

Here in Brazil, we do not have a league that answers for all clubs, Konami has to go from club to club, player by player to request the authorization to license everything. I really hope it's true.

@Emroth
That last sentence is also a mystery to me.:))

I understand it mate, I'm not saying that PES 2020 had a totally independent gameplay developement.
What I'm trying to explain is that this huge amount of reworked stuff or new addons haven't been done in one year and "maybe" PES 2019 wasn't the point of departure of PES 2020.

For example, if you mod the ball physics (not improving) on PES 2019 to be more slower or have more natural bounces, you'll start to see AI ball awareness issues, bugs on traping the ball animations, etc...
Now, look to PES 2020 ball physics and think what amount of work has been done in other areas in consequence.
Some people might see the improvements as minor, some people might see them as huge.
I'm seeing a lot of minor improvements in the PES2020 videos but I don't think those improvements require more than a year of work if they know what they're doing.:DD
Of course, I'm not a programmer so I don't know for sure!:DD

Last edited:
I just watched this PES 2014 video
We all remember the crappy response times but everything else was on the right track.

-The tactical system
-the size of the pitch is smaller and not this huge pitch that we have today where the game just gives you artificial space on purpose
- The A.I. in attack and defense looks light years better than any A.I. we've seen in PES the past 5 years
- The player awareness and positioning is light years better than the past 5 years. notice how there aren't these huge gaps between the lines like we have had the past 3+ years
- The animations look phenomenal. they attempted some sort of foot planting, body balance and physicality
- very rarely do you see a slidey animation now all we have is slidey skatey animations
- the ball physics weren't bad either.

Go watch a PES 2019 video now from the other day after watching this video. The game looks like it has regressed so much.

If they would have stayed on track and built off of PES 2014 and figured out response times I think PES would be phenomenal right now. Instead we get a game that keeps changing the "on ball" stuff every year. The "on ball" stuff has not been the problem yet every year its something new. Go work on the off-ball stuff that gets passed over every year. How can you make changes to ML and expect people to play it if the A.I. sucks?

I digress

I agree with this, but here's the thing. At the time PES 2014 was getting slammed for "Not being PES".

It's ultimately a design choice from Konami dev's. The AI in 14 is proof on it's own that they can do it if they want to. They came under too much pressure to change. The phrase be careful what you wish for applies here I think.

Thought it was time to get back to some forum action. We'll see how it goes.

Guys let me share you one though about the ball physics.

Althought they seem spot on, and the spin after a deflection is very good, i think that the ball slides/glides too much on the grass for example in low passes. In real soccer the ball rolls a lot more, somewhat faster, and not always in horizontal axis.
Pes 2020 (and 2019) ball physics feel somewhat off. Like the grass is covered with oil somehow.
Do you agree?

Guys let me share you one though about the ball physics.

Althought they seem spot on, and the spin after a deflection is very good, i think that the ball slides/glides too much on the grass for example in low passes. In real soccer the ball rolls a lot more, somewhat faster, and not always in horizontal axis.
Pes 2020 (and 2019) ball physics feel somewhat off. Like the grass is covered with oil somehow.
Do you agree?
Yes. I always thought it looks more natural on the wet grass, coz it somewhat explains the sliding. There should be bigger difference noticable on dry grass, it should roll more.
Nonetheless - its by far best physics that we currently have on the market, so I'll happily let it slide (pun intended) ;)

Still incredibly easy to pass the ball forward. Even on PES 19 it was easy when adv instructions > tight marking was enabled. The contested headers are not contested, they are slow motion and even trappable.

Still going to wait for the demo till passing judgement. I am just tired of watching these perfectly placed 30 yard passes to feet, with no bodies in to block those passing lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom