eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Then you think as experienced game dev it's easy and reasonable make the game more and more arcade for 3 or 4 years in a row and suddently focus on realism and achive it in 12 month.

Fouls and penalties exist in the game, AI behaviours is other stuff...
Dynamic weather is usefull, dynamic lighting is pure unusefull aesthetic.

This is one of the most (if not the most) decent gameplay video so far, despite of playing vs the AI in a lower difficulty.

The one thing I hate though, is how Batistuta and Ronaldinho seem left footed. If you didn't know anything about football, you would asume both are left footed.

Still incredibly easy to pass the ball forward. Even on PES 19 it was easy when adv instructions > tight marking was enabled. The contested headers are not contested, they are slow motion and even trappable.

Still going to wait for the demo till passing judgement. I am just tired of watching these perfectly placed 30 yard passes to feet, with no bodies in to block those passing lanes.
Even demo wont really give us the full picture. And im not even talking about AI.
Last years demo was full of beautiful randomness, ball felt free and it had a nice pace. Then full version came out and it was all on a string..

Here's the thing tho - last year everyone (that I remember) were happy with the demo (we didnt know how bad AI was yet, im talking from purely techical gameplay) and yet final version was much more arcade.. why..?

If everyone was happy, where did they get the idea to speed it up and "trap" the ball, make it all more accurate... why would you change something that people liked?
Are these side effects of final stage polish, animations and stuff?
Coz it wasnt a feedback...

This year, again, it looks decent. Demo will probably play great..
Sooo... i dont know... maybe dont touch it...?
Just focus on the bugs, if they resurface?

What saddens me most is, no matter what new mechanics, controls, dribbles etc konami add to PES,
online games will always be a ping pong laser guided first touch PA3 level festival.
If you want to get good rank, you must succumb to this kind of gameplay.
It kills it for me too. Now I live abroad, online is more important to play with mates back home. What also kills it, is having to buy a UK one and the lag and response suffering drastically because of it.
That also means you cant get a one player online match.
Whether i'm jade or just negative. i don't find too much in the videos to impress me. I will be happy if the full game proves me wrong though. Then I can stop looking to update PES5 or Fifa 16 to have a good experience.

Even demo wont really give us the full picture. And im not even talking about AI.
Last years demo was full of beautiful randomness, ball felt free and it had a nice pace. Then full version came out and it was all on a string..

Here's the thing tho - last year everyone (that I remember) were happy with the demo (we didnt know how bad AI was yet, im talking from purely techical gameplay) and yet final version was much more arcade.. why..?

If everyone was happy, where did they get the idea to speed it up and "trap" the ball, make it all more accurate... why would you change something that people liked?

It's true the demo hardly represents the full game. The remark I made was more so a slight to that [stupid] blabber that you need to play the game to believe it, or need to play the game to judge it.

If I were to judge PES 2020 based on the videos I've seen. I would say it looks pretty much like PES 2019. I never, ever, say that - but it looks the same except for some slight canned physical animations.

My hope is that these videos, especially the Man U v Legends, are skewed because Legends has been playing a 3 back formation with 1 or 2 players completely out of position.

I specifically quoted you, @Matt10 , coz if anyone could possibly understand why is final game usually different (is it feedback or side effect of final animation polish), it would be you.. coz i just dont get that..

My thoughts from this last clip - it has potential.. i liked AI play, especially in the second half (first half was too much first touch passes). Providing AI is solid I can see myself getting some joy from it, once its mixed with longer matches, PA0 and maybe -1 speed. Even tho there wasnt many fouls - I could see some nice physicality there.
So Im relatively optimistic for the moment.

Ps. It wasnt a penalty.

Demo had horrible ai,not all the time,but certainly noticeable
I didn't DL the demo because of this upload by a mate
Look at Salah here

Demo had horrible ai,not all the time,but certainly noticeable
I didn't DL the demo because of this upload by a mate
Look at Salah here
I know it did. But it was hard to see how bad it was due to 5mins matches.
Everyone assumed they were small bugs that will be fixed.
And because matches against AI were that short - I spent most of the demo playing against people. It was brilliant smoke grenade from Konami.

New video against AI
A) Every goal is just so tepid. There's nothing exciting about any of it, the passing is so perfect, there's no build-up play and that means there's no achievement in making a difficult pass etc... We've seen all of these shots/goals a billion times in 2019 - EXCEPT the Legends' equaliser, because the AI defender does a terrible first touch and gifts him a goal. That's great.

B) The human player just holds "pressure" as soon as the player selection is (automatically?) switched, so he runs people out of a defensive position and half-way across the field to chase someone miles away. So no wonder the "AI kicked your butt", you were chasing CMs by the half-way line with your CBs who are supposed to be marking someone.

C) Most importantly... That penalty at the end. If you've not seen it...

Human player tackles and wins the ball. Ref gives a penalty. I can 100% guarantee if it was the AI making that tackle, it wouldn't be a penalty - and if there's ever an increase in fouls, this will be why. Giving fouls for non-fouls, just to up the numbers.

Last edited:
@Emroth , with the last sentence I was trying to say that if you only notice this few changes you mentioned, I can understand you don't feel PES 2020 has more than one year developement. Only this mate. :TU:

About team shape and gaps between lines, as @Matt10 says, It's difficult to judge tactics viewing the Legends team.

However, I like when a team breaks by the middle during a high speed counter-attack. This could be huge tactical punishment for this ping-pong online players in addition to pass error.

In general, it seems that you'll have to take care of your build up if you want to be cohesive.

I know it did. But it was hard to see how bad it was due to 5mins matches.
Everyone assumed they were small bugs that will be fixed.
And because matches against AI were that short - I spent most of the demo playing against people. It was brilliant smoke grenade from Konami.
Short games are always suspicious,hope they bang it up to 10 min at least for 20.

That's a ridiculous decision. As clean a tackle as you're likely to see and even the contact miles after tackling him was off the pitch. I'm all for decisions not always being 100% accurate but that wasn't even questionable.
That's been a problem for a few years now. Regardless of whether you get the ball, you risk giving away a foul if you make contact.

Weedens' first 2020 video.

Honestly, I think the gameplay looks terrible, especially in slow-mo. Robotic, dull... More of the same (2019) - but if you loved 2019, it's a more refined version of that, so you'll be having a blast. Personally, I think I'm out now - we shouldn't be settling for this as the best recreation of football given the technology and the talent out there. In my opinion.

What saddens me most is, no matter what new mechanics, controls, dribbles etc konami add to PES,
online games will always be a ping pong laser guided first touch PA3 level festival.
If you want to get good rank, you must succumb to this kind of gameplay.

Quoting myself is a bit weird. But i want to add this:
KONAMI must punish the one touch pass/backheel with great error in trajectory and power, or better force the player to press an additional key before doing so, like R1.
Or even better: trapping/controlling the ball should require a button press. Good timing will result in a good control. Bad timing a more loose control.
Pure ping pong one touch PA3 passing should be nerfed hugely if we want to have a real soccer sim.
Think before the pass, create space, look for path, trap the ball accordingly ....all these fundamentals are killed by PA3 lazer guided passes.

Honestly, I think the gameplay looks terrible, especially in slow-mo. Robotic, dull... More of the same (2019) - but if you loved 2019, it's a more refined version of that, so you'll be having a blast. Personally, I think I'm out now - we shouldn't be settling for this as the best recreation of football given the technology and the talent out there. In my opinion.

It's the worst Weedens's trailer I've never seen before...
This means, the game it's hard to master and has learning curve...:LMAO:

I don't know, some stuff looks incredible:..., some stuff looks weird:PUKE:...

lets wait to demo

The worst part of that video starts at 2:06 with the exchange between Beckham, Iniesta & Maradona. It's looks so unnatural, choppy and just downright awful.... Oh and the R2 shooting looks as shit as ever, why can't they get the animation for it right? I think it was PES 2011 that last had decent R2 shooting, that's nearly 10 years ago!

Last edited:
The worst part of that video starts at 2:06 with the exchange between Beckham, Iniesta & Maradona. It's looks so unnatural, choppy and just downright awful.... Oh and the R2 shooting looks as shit as ever, why can't they get animation for it right? I think it was PES 2011 that last had decent R2 shooting, that's nearly 10 years ago!

Hah, I was just about to comment on that. First beckham with some stupid skills and then that absurd backheel by iniesta. It left me feeling angry, not impressed.

we shouldn't be settling for this as the best recreation of football given the technology and the talent out there. In my opinion.

I don't think there is going to be something better than this in smoothness and animations if you want to have a football game that is also reactive and fun. Not on Ps4.

Pes 2014 was smoother, but it was totally unplayable, even after the patches that destroyed the very base they built to make it realistic. We now have another football game, Fifa, that has loads of issues too with players looking like some sort of puppets running at top speed.

For me, smoothness and fluidity were the least of Pes 2019 issues, they weren't even issues. AI is what should be the focus right now. Remember when Pes 2013 moved much worse than this, yet it was much more fun too, because AI was actually not broken?

I don't like these kind of videos either, but that's because tricks and stuff like that are not what i want to see when i play a game that should represent a football match.

I does look pretty bad. So jagged and harsh in the movement.

Are they really leaving that entire section of Old Trafford empty as well? :THINK:

I agree with this, but here's the thing. At the time PES 2014 was getting slammed for "Not being PES".

It's ultimately a design choice from Konami dev's. The AI in 14 is proof on it's own that they can do it if they want to. They came under too much pressure to change. The phrase be careful what you wish for applies here I think.

Thought it was time to get back to some forum action. We'll see how it goes.

Alright mate, how's it going ? Are you looking forward to this years Demo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom