eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
real problem are the keepers, positioning, reflexes, animations... some of the magic that is lost are the keepers. unpredictable moments are lost cause you know before the shoot reach the goal what will happen next and that is a gamebreaker!

Yeah, it's a shame because the game as always, seems to have a decent flow to it. Which is what they're trying to achieve from what they've said in recent times. But the constant toe pokes, lack of follow through on passing and shooting animations and keepers making the same handful of saves shows no "evolution". We can say it ad nauseum but forget the face scans and body scans to improve things by 3% and improve the AI and animations.

Well I'm coming out the bushes for another PES launch period haha! I read this forum most days, but struggle to engage in conversations due to the time difference (I'm in Australia). But I do enjoy spending time in here and seeing everyone's passion for the game a lot of us have grown up with.

Mixed feeling about PES2020 from what I've seen so far, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. I respect that the team have enough confidence in their product to release trailers using real gameplay footage, but at the same time, they're shooting themselves in the foot because the trailers show a lot of flaws in the gameplay that fans of the game can easily pick out straight away (foot-sliding, defenders not reacting etc). I think the trailers need a lot of work.

I probably spent less time playing PES 2019 than I've ever spent playing a PES game. I put this down to a few things: Getting older (busier), fundamental flaws in the gameplay and the lack of innovation in modes. I played a season of ML on PES 2019 using Istanbul in the Turkish league. Started off ok.. made some realistic transfers and so did the other teams in the league (although the transfers were extremely easy to pull off). The experience was shortly lived though. Repetitive AI gameplay, hardly no commentary names, only 1 Turkish stadium and no broadcast package. For the most part, I felt like i was using a turkish league option file to play. Don't need to say much about the AI, but how, and more importantly, WHY it's so bad, really baffles me.

Looking forward to the demo and getting a feel for the new game. By the looks of it, there has been some nice improvements but a lot of major issues haven't been resolved. I think if the devs spent some time focusing on DMF and CMF roles it would make a nice improvement to the game and big difference in build up play. At the moment, seems like passing from the CB's to the FW's is all too easy, again.

EDIT: I do think the game still shines 1v1 on the couch with friends. Unfortunately as my friends and I are all getting older and building lives with our partners, these nights are getting harder and harder to organize.

Last edited:
I don't think they will create these stadiums from scratch, they will probably bring the old models up to standard as they did with some other old stadiums.
That's a fair point, although I can't imagine they'd leave it until February to release them even if it was a full build.

This is probably the least I've followed the build up to a PES game & my expectations are low, i do like the look of some of the few videos I've seen though!
Hearing about the very slow pace and weight of the ball & players is promising and it's clearly visible in the footage. Obviously if the A.i is rubbish again it'll count for nothing.....

What worries me the most is the demo, so many years have I grown attached to great demo only to be disappointed by the changes made for full release.
I have a horrible feeling that this demo will feel very slow and weighty with plenty of error (which is exactly what I want) and then be butchered after the masses complain & final tightening up and tweaks are made. The game currently does look quite free and weighty.

I can't remember a PES game that looked so slow in the videos and I really like it. There's a long way to go and hopefully the A.i has improved as let's face it, it can't really be any worse than last year... can it!?
Once again PES looks to be unrivaled with the ball at the feet and for pure game feel, i just hope & pray it's not the one & only redeeming quality again.

Many of our debates here are down to personal tastes, let's take a simple example of a Master League career in which you're controlling a premier league team (doesn't matter which one for now). Let's say a team like wolves or everton wins the league title.
Now on this point, we'll find people here saying that
  1. this is the problem with master league, it's so unrealistic.
  2. this unpredictability in master league is a good thing, and I'd like to see more of it to have unique paths.
I'm not saying that each and every point is up to personal tastes and we shouldn't debate on it, but a lot of these elements of the game on which people on the forum argue is because of the point I made.
So you see, when some people say, The devs should read evo-web, I'd say apart from the issues that are very well known in PES (like referees, fouls, top-bin goals), it's really difficult to expect the other individuals points that every one of us here makes to actually be listened to. Because you'll most likely be contradicted by someone else in the forum. So then, whom do they listen to?
Think.

Many of our debates here are down to personal tastes, let's take a simple example of a Master League career in which you're controlling a premier league team (doesn't matter which one for now). Let's say a team like wolves or everton wins the league title.
Now on this point, we'll find people here saying that

1. this is the problem with master league, it's so unrealistic.
    this unpredictability in master league is a good thing, and I'd like to see more of it to have unique paths.
I'm not saying that each and every point is up to personal tastes and we shouldn't debate on it, but a lot of these elements of the game on which people on the forum argue is because of the point I made.
So you see, when some people say, The devs should read evo-web, I'd say apart from the issues that are very well known in PES (like referees, fouls, top-bin goals), it's really difficult to expect the other individuals points that every one of us here makes to actually be listened to. Because you'll most likely be contradicted by someone else in the forum. So then, whom do they listen to?
Think.

The point is that has no sense push up Master League but have a poor CPU.
I like all new stuff but management is secondary if you put in front of gameplay and AI.

You can't decorate a house that hasn't got floor or walls.

If the AI its fair, varied and challenging you would become inmersed with or without animations, etc.

About the rest of the game...

Last edited:
Those are different things mate.
Finesse dribbling is very much like what you can do now when you hold down R2 and move in different directions. Not exactly the same, but very similar. Dribbling mechanics are a different thing, from what I understand.

And yes, I think all of us want a steeper learning curve.

As I undestand, dribbling mechanics are the overall moves you can perform to beat the defender.

Pes 2019 has not bad left stick dribbling if you put the eye on the ball carrier. Nice contextual animations are triggered when you perform a turn in the last moment, and weight shift mechanic it's wonderfull.
But all of this was messed because Konami overpowered tackles and collisions.

For PES 2020, finesse dribbling it's a key feature, designed specially for tight spaces. So we can expect that tackle accuracy was reworked to make this new mechanic usefull.
The other stuff that affects to dribbling its physicality and we have seen in videos that jostling and ball shielding are huge improved.

About finesse dribbling. I can imagine a huge amount of creativity and freedom using it. I have seen some moves not directly related to dribble. For example, I've seen players using it to open space to make a pass. Switch the ball from one foot to the other and kick. Really nice.

Here are the SEP's first impressions

He plays a LOT I mean A LOT A LOT MyClub, It is interesting to see his first impressions. What he's talking about is that the game is VERY slow and the new dribbling system that worries me most, especially the new R2 feature ... which I do not know if I can accept it.

Funny how on E3 code midnight kid said there is lack of fouls and physicality.

Now we are getting some gameplay videos and they are all reviewing "slightly changed" post E3 code. And NONE of them mentioned one area of concern from E3 code - lack of fouls. Not midnight kid, nor pesep, no one.

To me it looks like Konami saying - dont mention fouls. End of.
It concerns me that all these dudes are self-claimed "old-school" players, but in the same time they "TRY" the passing system in PA 2&3! I mean wtf it is not the PES league finals. You are supposed to test things there. I don't care for PA3 users in competitive modes during season, but during the playtests? For god shake!! Every videi is on PA2 or 3 until now. What's up there? A PA1 embargo campaign? And Full manual is not even in the astral plane?
Since you do tests, why not try all the levels for example? FUMA-PA1-2-3?

I do not want to sound like "elitist" with the usual quote "how these guys are pros using PA3", but when they give feedback on PA3 that the ball is free and has errors, there is no hope for PA1 or a semi-assisted system to work properly.

Last edited:
Which players were the holograms?
Scott McTominay, Victor Lindelöf and Diogo Dalot!

see here: https://www.gamesradar.com/efootbal...ster-united-but-can-it-close-the-gap-to-fifa/

edit: when i first saw that hologramm presentation, besides how awesome that looked, really, my first thought was: how in hell can they spend so much time and money on such a nice presentation when the game is still lacking in some basic areas!?
i like that hologramm tech stuff... but come on konami, priorities!!! ;)

There was a schedule slide on Twitter few days ago showing various dates for Pes 2020 reveals. Don't know if fake or not but one of the reveals was at the end of August when Konami is planning to invite journalists to Tokyo just to show them the new Myclub.

Spending lots of money (because when they invite journalists they usually pay for them) just for a Myclub presentation. If confirmed, that should tell you once again what is their real focus with Pes.

Just tweak some things here and there in gameplay, add some cutscenes to Master League, change some menus, but the real focus is Myclub.

Also noticed on Asims twitter on the list of games his really looking forward to this year, he had fifa20 but no sign of pes20

Also noticed on Asims twitter on the list of games his really looking forward to this year, he had fifa20 but no sign of pes20

Just on the best moment of the last 7 years. What a pity.

I've some engadgement with Batthi and Asim, they put huge effort to rescue a game lost since 2006.
They have done it.

After he left Konami and he is free to talk he is saying exactly the things we are saying: not convinced by Pes 2020, still waiting for something convincing, waiting for deeper modes,waiting for a better Master League, waiting for a better online.

Once you are a community manager (like Adam and Asim) you are just playing a role they give you without actually having active input about how the game is developed. That's why i regret being angry with him or Adam during the past. They are there just to make us believe one of us is actually near the dev team.

Worst thing about modern football gaming is the ‘Legends’ nonsense.

Leave the past in the past and give us a good modern football game.

I hate playing online as Aston Villa against a team of Ronaldinho, Beckham and Maradona. It’s stupid.
Of course I hate playing against myclub teams (with legends or not) in CO-OP mode, I just use legends in training mode and it's very nice too see some iconic players with the actual realism, just look Ronaldinho in PES 2020. I can't imagine Zidane...

Funny how on E3 code midnight kid said there is lack of fouls and physicality.

Now we are getting some gameplay videos and they are all reviewing "slightly changed" post E3 code. And NONE of them mentioned one area of concern from E3 code - lack of fouls. Not midnight kid, nor pesep, no one.

To me it looks like Konami saying - dont mention fouls. End of.
Fouls will ruin their eFootball brand.

He's always been a FIFA fan. One of the reasons I didn't like his appointment at Konami.
i assumed he became more of a fifa fan after konami started going backwards 10yrs ago with everything dont blame him, but didnt know he was a fifa fan from the start

Im not really convinced about the AI. Looks very similar to 2019.
I'd go as far to say it''s possibly worse than 2019 judging by the gameplay videos. I find it astonishing that they seem to be making significant improvements to master league, yet actively seem to be making the Ai progressively worse.

Imo be fan of a digital product it's ridiculous.
I've played more PES than Fifa over my life because the game felt better many years. But I'm not a fan because when one of them become worse than the other I don't have any problem to switch it.

I'm Atletico fan because I'll keep supporting the team winning or loosing.

Fouls will ruin their eFootball brand.

How? eFootball is human vs human. Humans decide whether to slide tackle and whatnot.
We are saying that the AI needs to be more aggressive, try to push you off the ball, tackle you, mistime those tackles, etc. Nothing to do with these eSports trash.

He's always been a FIFA fan. One of the reasons I didn't like his appointment at Konami.

Wolf in sheep clothing.

After he left Konami and he is free to talk he is saying exactly the things we are saying: not convinced by Pes 2020, still waiting for something convincing, waiting for deeper modes,waiting for a better Master League, waiting for a better online.

Once you are a community manager (like Adam and Asim) you are just playing a role they give you without actually having active input about how the game is developed. That's why i regret being angry with him or Adam during the past. They are there just to make us believe one of us is actually near the dev team.
Surprise surprise he’s changed is tune. I guarantee if he was still a Konami employee he’d be gushing over PES 2020.

It’s why Adam, Midnite Kid etc can’t be trusted when it comes to feedback. They’re too heavily invested in the series and they can’t say what they actually think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom