eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im another that will do World Cups and Euros before cracking on with Master League. I will wait till i get a fully edited setup so there are no surprises for me.

In the mean time ill try to scrape out of a World Cup group including Bahrain,Albania and Honduras as the mighty Brazil.

I went straight to the feed to watch this, because this is my biggest problem with the game.

As soon as I fast-forwarded to the match, Feyenoord were hitting perfectly straight, direct passes forwards constantly, never passing sideways, never ever playing build-up play.

Except... straight from kick-off. That's the only time they pass backwards, and it's the same in the demo.

Whenever the AI get the ball, your players have just been in the attacking phase, and in PES, the attacking team seems to run every non-defender miles forward, including holding midfielders. So the AI just smash the ball forwards in straight lines with no midfield resistance, getting the ball to the striker ASAP. No build-up necessary.

When it's kick-off, or when you're man-marking every player, the AI can't do it. Which is great, but how often are you going to do that? The bigger point is, surely, passing shouldn't be so super accurate that every team can take advantage of every counter attack they ever have, and never consider a bit of build-up play instead.

PES 2019 was "every team plays tiki-taka", now it's "every team is direct" - both are terrible news for the ML, IMO. I can't play another season of every team playing the same damn way.
I have to admit I only watched a few minutes of the twitch footage. I liked how Feyenoord kept the ball whilst the player tried pressing them, I’ll watch all of it when I get home though.

Has it been confirmed that every AI team plays the same then? That’s bad news if so.

Saying that, the AI in the other game is horrendous as well and will just leave gaps everywhere so I can score with ease.

I need to play both myself to form an opinion but I refuse to drop £100+ on two games again this year.

@TroyDeeneyScoredAPenal!

Same happens to me on demo, long ball over the top. Some are saying that because the demo is “short” that the CPU is trying to “cram in” its attack’s but I don’t buy that.

PES 2013 for another year for me chaps?

At least we’ve got GRID and Cyberpunk around the corner.

I've seen the AI pass the ball backwards quite a bit in the demo to be honest. Don't know if that counts as buildup.

Having said that, I hardly ever get any fouls whereas a lot of people seem to be praising the increased foul count so maybe it's just down to how I play the damn thing. :D

The bigger point is, surely, passing shouldn't be so super accurate that every team can take advantage of every counter attack they ever have, and never consider a bit of build-up play instead.

PES 2019 was "every team plays tiki-taka", now it's "every team is direct" - both are terrible news for the ML, IMO. I can't play another season of every team playing the same damn way.

This is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make to @klashman69
Burton/Burnley/Rotherham etc shouldn't be able to play super accurate pinpoint passes and deadly clinical finishes from 30 yards every single time, Barca can do it most of the time, Liverpool can most of the time, Juve, Bayern, the biggest best teams can, but Burnley/Burton cannot, but in PES they do.

That's why every match feels identikit, because they are.

I've never once thought to myself in the last few years playing PES "Oh Wow, this COM team is packing defense, using 2 holding DMF's. Im going to have to play wide and draw them out, look for triangles in around the back of them"

or

"The COM team are utilising their extra man in midfield by playing sideways passes to lure me on to the ball so they can create space in front of my defence for their no 9 to play in, Im going to have to stand off, cover lanes and be patient"

Just doesn't happen.

I have to admit I only watched a few minutes of the twitch footage. I liked how Feyenoord kept the ball whilst the player tried pressing them, I’ll watch all of it when I get home though.

Has it been confirmed that every AI team plays the same then? That’s bad news if so.

Saying that, the AI in the other game is horrendous as well and will just leave gaps everywhere so I can score with ease.

I need to play both myself to form an opinion but I refuse to drop £100+ on two games again this year.

@TroyDeeneyScoredAPenal!

Same happens to me on demo, long ball over the top. Some are saying that because the demo is “short” that the CPU is trying to “cram in” its attack’s but I don’t buy that.

GRID looks like a fun racer and I have that on pre-order for my One X.

Back on topic to PES! It could be that the short length halves somehow makes the AI a bit more frantic and crazy due to having less time to craft its attacks but I am not sure if that would be the case? I wish I knew more about AI Coding.

I have to admit I only watched a few minutes of the twitch footage.

@TroyDeeneyScoredAPenal!

Same here!
It has to stop. I have buyed both games several years now and I really never get to enjoy any of them.

This year it has been easy for me after playing the demo of pes and seeing how little has changed in FIFA.

Maybe it's less scripted in fifa, but something is very repeating in that title also. Don't feel anything playing CM.

Enough of the comparisons.. At least there is something highly addictive with PES again. Really, with small but good changes in ML this is enough for me.

Maybe the AI is playing a lot the same. I ain't seeing it though and I will keep myself from here when getting the game. I just know that I suddenly will see something I would never have thought about and then starting to enjoy it less. Maybe focus on what people are seeing after patches.. But I don't want to ruin a experience.

At least the tempo is lower.. Stats do matter a little.. There is more fouls and mispasses.

I really are quite happy and I want to stay that way.

I think the variation between the teams is decent in the demo. At least Barcelona is harder to beat then Colo Colo. In PES 2019 I always thought that the lesser teams where much harder to beat than the big teams.

Same here!
It has to stop. I have buyed both games several years now and I really never get to enjoy any of them.

This year it has been easy for me after playing the demo of pes and seeing how little has changed in FIFA.

Maybe it's less scripted in fifa, but something is very repeating in that title also. Don't feel anything playing CM.

Enough of the comparisons.. At least there is something highly addictive with PES again. Really, with small but good changes in ML this is enough for me.

Maybe the AI is playing a lot the same. I ain't seeing it though and I will keep myself from here when getting the game. I just know that I suddenly will see something I would never have thought about and then starting to enjoy it less. Maybe focus on what people are seeing after patches.. But I don't want to ruin a experience.

At least the tempo is lower.. Stats do matter a little.. There is more fouls and mispasses.

I really are quite happy and I want to stay that way.
This is the key thing for me, PES is fun again and I enjoy it despite its many flaws.

I’m not going to pick it apart forensically. Is it challenging? Yes. Can I dip in occasionally and play a career? Yes. Does it play a decent, slow game of soccer ball? Yes.

Plus it’s only 35 quid.

I went straight to the feed to watch this, because this is my biggest problem with the game.

As soon as I fast-forwarded to the match, Feyenoord were hitting perfectly straight, direct passes forwards constantly, never passing sideways, never ever playing build-up play.

Except... straight from kick-off. That's the only time they pass backwards, and it's the same in the demo.

Whenever the AI get the ball, your players have just been in the attacking phase, and in PES, the attacking team seems to run every non-defender miles forward, including holding midfielders. So the AI just smash the ball forwards in straight lines with no midfield resistance, getting the ball to the striker ASAP. No build-up necessary.

When it's kick-off, or when you're man-marking every player, the AI can't do it. Which is great, but how often are you going to do that? The bigger point is, surely, passing shouldn't be so super accurate that every team can take advantage of every counter attack they ever have, and never consider a bit of build-up play instead.

I noticed this issue myself when playing the demo.

I have found that it's due (in part) to the default tactics that are given to each team. When I have altered them less players attack and as a result the CPU has to play more possession.

I think the tactic terms are too generic in the settings, it goes from Frontline Pressure to All out Defence I think, but when you actually select them they don't match the description and are actually more subtle. Another one I found made a big difference was the containment area and there is a command to make the wingers drop back, but I think it's labelled Wing Backs for some reason.

Yeah and forgot:

Maybe the AI is trying to do a lot of the same. But I think it has improved and the fact that the stats actually mean something I think it actually makes each game differ more from each other than previous.

What will still irritate me? Of course that small Danish teams still is scoring each time on free kicks in Master League, but again.. I will try to focus on the core and remember that it is a GAME that are here to give you fun and challenge you. It can do this, this year and in terms of realism PES is winning in the most important areas this year. At least for me.

Privileged is maybe too much, but I really think that in a age of XX and so many years after the first PES I'm quite happy by the fact that I maybe can enjoy a single player game again! Time has changed and will keep on doing it. Offline is gone. Online is in. So really.. To keep on looking for how the AI isn't behave like they should etc is pointless for me. Probably it will never be perfect. They will only adjust the AI so it makes online as good as possible. And as you all know. Online is another world. It's something else they wants today. Things like the right boots and face and something to keep their Dopamine levels high (FUT, ENTERTAINMENT). The slow.. More real soccer experience is just not for the general gamer anymore. Very niche orientated if it will ever be a primarily focus for these titles again. Football manager is probably the only title to focus on that only.

So at the end of the day. To have a title succeeding just a little in offline gaming and giving me a enjoyable ML mode - maybe not at the same level as earlier, is really more than I would expect.

This is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make to @klashman69
, but Burnley/Burton cannot, but in PES they do.

Ive never understood why people say Burnley, Burton etc cannot play short passes with accuracy. Of course they can, its more that their manager/tactical setup stops them doing it.

So the game isnt wrong in allowing players be able to knock the ball about, its wrong in the sense that it dosent have a tactic to replicate how Burnley would play, so reverts to type.

I dont believe that the 'English way' is actually coded for in the game, not to any great extent. Direct diagonals, play off the big man, 2nd balls... all that jazz. Its a shame, but I think its a limitation of the developers in that the game is made for the Man City v Barcelona matchups (TV football as I like to call it), not Barnsley v Wigan.

Every cloud...

The tiny 48hr delay for the transfer update will mean I will happily play another mode (versus likely, but maybe dip a toe into MyClub) knowing that wait will be a short one.

I haven't watched any streams as believe doing so is pointless, personally.

I am one of very few around here (it would appear) who more often than not had a good time playing PES2019 for the standard targeted life-cycle of release date to mid-June/July. I eventually was able to play against Legend in ML/comps and have a blast doing so. I never imagined that being the case around release as that difficulty smashed me in versus mode whenever I tried it.

The game on Legend, while perhaps not "realistic" in terms of certain aspects, on the face of it, did reward me once I nailed down my own game. It was still very videogame-y in challenge, but once my skill at the game reached a level that containing the AI was challenging but very achievable, I started seeing loads of variety in patterns of play; something I thought Legend didn't have in it's locker.

Even though that more videogame nature challenge was still evident it was offset by overall feel in control, with the challenge enhancing "goal-feel" dramatically in particular.

This is why I take nothing from these streams and other footage. I know that so long as the game engages me enough to keep playing, like PES2019 did, what I see from these streams and what I will experience initially will be far removed from what it will be at further down the line for me.

Agree to disagree :) .

I just think that your statement "perfect rockets every time is wrong".
At least, I have a different experience and I´m on manual for four years now.
You can have your own opinion, but I don't see how it's acceptable to hit such powerful shots on target so consistently from this very difficult incoming ball.

It's not even like I need to see which player is there. If someone online doesn't manually mark that player outside the box then I have a free shot on goal. It never flies over or rolls harmlessly wide - maybe it'll get blocked or go slightly wide (because of the manual aim), but you never get the feeling its been badly struck.

The shooting mechanics are poor, particularly on manual. Shot speeds and trajectories are very repetitive.

Shooting has been poor in PES for many years now. It amazes me that someone hasn’t picked up on this at Konami.

But no, as long as the faces are good...
Only played the demo's recently but i thought the general census for PES 2020 shooting was it's much better than the past 7 or 8 years?

I've seen the AI pass the ball backwards quite a bit in the demo to be honest. Don't know if that counts as buildup.

Having said that, I hardly ever get any fouls whereas a lot of people seem to be praising the increased foul count so maybe it's just down to how I play the damn thing. :D

Not just you, in around 15 to 20 games cpu has kicked me all over the place but only commited about 5 fouls
but at least that's 5 more than the other game.

Last edited:
Also for me.. But maybe first when everything is running smooth with Bundesliga osv. 12th i guess?

I am also considering something in South America!
Bit different gameplay,I had a run on 19 with Boca,but that was early Pes 19 days were the game was crap,still liked it.
It's licenced as well,could be a fun run.
Also playing alongside DDR who's at Boca now would be cool (even though a laziale like you won't)

Probably end up in Serie A eventually.
Lazio looks promising this year,or Atalanta

Bit different gameplay,I had a run on 19 with Boca,but that was early Pes 19 days were the game was crap,still liked it.
It's licenced as well,could be a fun run.
Also playing alongside DDR who's at Boca now would be cool (even though a laziale like you won't)

Probably end up in Serie A eventually.
Lazio looks promising this year,or Atalanta

But yeah mate. It will be Serie A. PES has always suited Serie A best - and now we have promotions also.. Haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom