eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every detail counts
How long do you spend looking at a face?

What’s with the PES crowd’s obsession with faces? Someone explain to me, I want to understand.

What’s important for PES 2021 is:

* LOTS more generic stadia
* Better atmosphere at all stadia
* Improved Master League (maybe a co-op option)
* A varied CPU AI that plays exactly like it’s real life counterparts
* Gameplay. Gameplay. Gameplay.

Faces and tattoos do NOT matter. If we keep moaning at Konami about stuff like that then they’ll ignore the important stuff.

Sorry if I appear like I’m trying to have an argument, I’m not. I’m just absolutely sick and tired of this obsession with faces.

It got a bit ridonculous around faces last few years. Especially when people are shouting for face updates for players coz they grew a beard..
Beards and pimples should be implemented via Live Update!

This new camera must be an absolute nightmare for faces loving lads... you can barely see the fuckers there! :LOL:

What’s with the PES crowd’s obsession with faces? Someone explain to me, I want to understand.

Faces and tattoos do NOT matter. If we keep moaning at Konami about stuff like that then they’ll ignore the important stuff.

Sorry if I appear like I’m trying to have an argument, I’m not. I’m just absolutely sick and tired of this obsession with faces.

I agree that some people are overly obsessed with them, but I'd argue that they absolutely do matter from an immersion perspective. Now, should they take precedence over the things you mentioned? No, but they certainly enhance my experience. People clamoring for faces isn't what's preventing Pro Evo's offline experience from improving, it's myClub. If online play magically didn't exist, I think you'd find they'd put a whole lot more effort into the offline offering in order to sell their game. Why do that when you can just emulate FUT?

I mean, people have been asking for a lot of these changes for over a decade. This was long before people were pestering them on Twitter because Salah's hair wasn't curly enough.

Ok, let me explain then. First of all, about the point on how often do we see faces in the game, I play using the fans camera (one of the highest in the game) and even that doesn’t let me mistake two players of similar height, haircut and skin color if they have good gamefaces. Just like you don’t mistake player faces watching a real match on the stadium. And generic faces look really awful, so players without gamefaces ruin the authenticity. That is why i can’t use players without faces in ML or MC.
You talk about stadiums variety and atmosphere, but as for me (and I’m sure lots of other players support this) player likenesses is something that really influence the atmosphere, unlikely stadiums, that are just some walls surrounding green pitch.

I have a theory that we might get it on Saturday.
The game is out Tuesday.
They won't dispatch Monday in case it's late; they've never in my years using them dispatched it the day before.
Their opening hours don't include Saturdays so they're highly unlikely to dispatch then.
That leaves Friday as dispatch day.
1st class post should see it delivered on Saturday.

Fingers crossed..I also use them a lot and there generally brilliant in regard to getting games out a few days before release(there also local to me)..

I will be over the moon if I have the game in my hands by the end of the week.

Still can’t get enough of the demo!..

I agree.
Well, sort off.

Because if we're going to prioritize elements of the game by how much time do we spend looking at them, then turfs/pitch/grass, should be absolute #1 priority. And they are S H I T this year.
There's room for everybody. Everyone of us gravitates towards different things. I don't care too much about faces or boots. But I do care a lot about color palette and turf. And it's such an immersion killer for me to see what they've done to the latter this year. But I can totally understand if you or someone else love them the way they are now and would prefer to have different scoreboards for different competitions instead.

I guess it depends if you want the players to look like their real life counter parts. The technology is here now where we can get them looking pretty similar and will only get better nxt-gen. I find it really easy to understand why people want players to look as life like as possible and finding it hard why you wouldn't want them looking like their real life counter parts.

I doubt the people working on faces have anything to do with the gameplay programmers or the sound engineers etc etc.

Funny and amusing reading folks tales of trying to prevent both games forcing there mandatory patches/updates..And why I’ve tended to go physical with both games over the last few years(which isn’t without its headaches)..

The sweetener though would be us all to have that choice.To freely be able via the settings to play whatever version of the game we want and still benefit from transfer updates and additions from data packs..

His numbers were the same before the update, I think it was @Ameppe who pointed this out (could be wrong). Could be the ML, and/or the way he plays, rather than anything else.

These matches CPU conceded

1 foul first match
2 fouls second match
3 fouls third match
4 fouls fourth match

It's definitely a higher average compared to yesterday group of matches, but this is in Top Player difficulty (he lowered the level) and the last two matches are two derbys (vs Torino and vs Inter). We know that during derby CPU is much more aggressive so that would explain the higher number of fouls.

That is definitely 1.01 patch and 1.00 dlc updated game, press start screen shows that.

I'm excited watching that stream because despite being some issues there (it seems like low rated teams still have some sort of boost, making them play much better than they should), at least every goal has been different and not similar at all, very different from Pes 2019. Also CPU really uses all the pitch while attacking, doesn't just go to the flank, makes a short low pass to the center and scores.

Also, i saw two injuries in just one ingame month of Master League: one during training (2 months injury for Perin), one during match.

It seems that this year Master League despite being far from perfect really shows potential to be at least enjoyable.

Last edited:
Funny and amusing reading folks tales of trying to prevent both games forcing there mandatory patches/updates..And why I’ve tended to go physical with both games over the last few years(which isn’t without its headaches)..

The sweetener though would be us all to have that choice.To freely be able via the settings to play whatever version of the game we want and still benefit from transfer updates and additions from data packs..

I'm not sure if it's still a feature, but I recall NHL 17 allowing you to select the patch version within the options. That would be an amazing feature for offline players (for both PES and FIFA).

I'm not sure if it's still a feature, but I recall NHL 17 allowing you to select the patch version within the options. That would be an amazing feature for offline players (for both PES and FIFA).
It is still a feature, and every year I tweet-beg the FIFA guys to do this...

That would require that Konami actually knew what the heck they're doing with every patch.

Picture this.
You go to the Settings Menu.
There's a brand new option that says "GAME VERSION".
It lets you scroll down and select one of the versions of the game, since it came out.

And below each version, there's a text.
The text reads "Description".
Below that, you see this:
  • Bug fixes and other improvements.
  • Other minor adjustments to the general gameplay experience
And that's all you find, for each of the versions you can select.

yes.. and it's an easy thing to do for the developers to include it. why they don't do this in both fifa and pes yet I dunno when EA"s NHL had that years ago already like you stated.

Agree that the things u mentioned are a lot more important and feels like the game is really missing them, but those in-game created/generated faces look HORRENDOUS. Just no. It wouldn't be important if they updated the creator and the basic models and textures but there is way too much difference between a created face and a scanned one. It's one of the few features i think is a lot better in the other game.

The tuner sets (NHL) should obviously be a thing in Pes letting you chose whichever game patch you want,and with all the content with it (as in NHL)
I'm baffled that EA doesn't use it in FIFA

A tiny thing that I'd like to see in the game is seeing the cpu shield the ball as it's running out of play for their throw-in/goal kick or whatever. Now that there's a decent physicality system in the game it seems like a logical addition. As I type this though I can imagine the problems already - A.I. players trying to let the ball run out from halfway across the pitch!

Although we know it's not their priority, I'd love for one of their sales points next year to be an intelligence/awareness focus on the AI. Realistic team shape, pressing, runs, pass decisions etc... Seeing players stopping their runs for no reason or hoofing the ball out backwards when they've got time to take it down (to name but two of many) is a great way of ruining the immersion.

I doubt the people working on faces have anything to do with the gameplay programmers or the sound engineers etc etc.
Exactly the reason why doing good faces shouldn't mean sacrificing gameplay.
They should be simultaneously working on stuff right? The guy who's incorporating the 3D scanned players into the game shouldn't be the person who's tweaking the gameplay? If that's what's happening, we should all know why KONAMI's patch notes say, "Minor adjustments and bug fixes".

CPU that plays exactly like its real life counterparts is extremely difficult with these 2013 mobile CPUs, i don't think we will see some improvements there. I even have doubts they will focus on AI on next gen consoles with 10x more powerful CPUs. Developers really don't seem to care about creating a believable AI behaviour.

CPU that plays exactly like its real life counterparts is extremely difficult with these 2013 mobile CPUs, i don't think we will see some improvements there. I even have doubts they will focus on AI on next gen consoles with 10x more powerful CPUs. Developers really don't seem to care about creating a believable AI behaviour.
The Jaguar CPU really messed up AI this gen, I cannot think of any game that had great AI. I think we will see a step up nxt-gen though as long as the rumoured specs on the CPU are true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom