eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been no gameplay update with the demo.

Seriously, one person starts with this kind of stuff then everyone is 'feeling different things with the gameplay' all of a sudden.

The gameplay hasn't changed in this demo whatosever.
Maybe not changing the gameplay per se, but bug fixes can still potentially alter behaviors that weren't working correctly.

Like I said earlier, I can only go by what I've seen - which is before the patch the AI almost NEVER did skill moves, with certain players like Messi being such a slow, passive, conservative player. Go back through this thread and there are plenty of people saying why is Countonho beating players and Messi doing nothing? Now he's doing multiple step overs every match and tearing me a new one. Ronaldo, Thiago, and Barbosa also all acting noticeably different when they have the ball.

I'd say cos it was out of reach. Also I see 2 power bars filling up - one for Df and one for your forward. So the ball reached the DF first and his bar was applied to the action.

This reminds me though - I will just say - I played a game earlier as Flamengo vs human. opponent striker hit the ball and my GK alves just let it go past him even though it was within arms length (I think I managed to take a clip of it - I'll check it again tomorrow). I don't know why - a bug? a mysterious control input I wasn't aware of?

I put it down to the latter at the time.
Yeah the defender's power bar did fill up, but I don't see why this should completely cancel my attempt at the header. It was close to being out of reach but I think he could have made contact first if he attacked the ball when I pressed the shoot button. Even if he didn't get there, I'd prefer some kind of response to my button inputs, even if it's a failed attempt that misses the ball completely.

By contrast, here is a diving header I scored with Heskey back in PES 2011 from a similar kind of cross... Launches himself at it.

Hard to say without seeing it, but your GK could have let it through because they used some kind of pass button to "shoot". The only one I know is using the L1+ :circle: :circle: "ground cross" to shoot in one-on-ones from close range... They tend to save them much less than an equivalent shot using the actual shooting button. Maybe there is some other method like using regular crosses or through balls to shoot.

In that situation i try (sometimes forget :) ) to use super cancel to get my player moving closer to where the ball is coming. Maybe turning 45 degrees (bottom right)! Trying to reach the ball before the defender.
Not saying SC would get me to the ball but it sure creates a situation different from what the gif is showing.
I'm always using super cancel in these situations as your player seems to run faster as well as giving more control over where they meet the ball... Pretty sure I used it in my example but didn't go bottom right as I was already in front of the defender, and the ball was too far away to cut it off earlier at an angle like that.

Last edited:
It was there last year too. Unfortunately it got dumbed down with patches..
If you look at the clip of injury I posted - at the very start of the clip I got same warning message before he collapsed. So I had a chance to take him off.
(It wasnt an actual warning message, just a cutscene. Message didnt appear coz it didnt happen first time for me. Tips are only shown when you encounter something for the first time)
Personally im also hoping that in final version we will have injuries from tackles, the way we used to in Pes17. If you hammered a player few times - eventually he got eliminated.

Yeah I thought that I might had seen it before but don't think I saw it in your vid. Can you post it again?

Didn't they also have it in demo last year that you could physically see that your player was tired? That was lost as well, right?

And I absolutely agree that players should get injured when exposed to multiple tackles. They already have it in this demo that if the same player keeps comitting fouls, even minor ones, they'll get booked (think it's mentioned in message either at the start of or during a match). So it's not like resulting injuries could really be abused.

Maybe not changing the gameplay per se, but bug fixes can still potentially alter behaviors that weren't working correctly.

Like I said earlier, I can only go by what I've seen - which is before the patch the AI almost NEVER did skill moves, with certain players like Messi being such a slow, passive, conservative player. Go back through this thread and there are plenty of people saying why is Countonho beating players and Messi doing nothing? Now he's doing multiple step overs every match and tearing me a new one. Ronaldo, Thiago, and Barbosa also all acting noticeably different when they have the ball.

It’s like this with the Xbox one x version..

Most of my playtime the last three weeks has been on the PS4 pro..

When I switch over to the X version it’s slower...Has no bugs and no delay or input lag like the PS4 demo has in certain conditions and games(offline).

It’s more polished..The AI is better and there’s a lot more touches and animations I’m just not seeing on the PS4..

Thing is it isn’t placebo..One is clearly optimised better then the other and it’s exactly the same with the pc version.

Yeah the defender's power bar did fill up, but I don't see why this should completely cancel my attempt at the header. It was close to being out of reach but I think he could have made contact first if he attacked the ball when I pressed the shoot button. Even if he didn't get there, I'd prefer some kind of response to my button inputs, even if it's a failed attempt that misses the ball completely.

By contrast, here is a diving header I scored with Heskey back in PES 2011 from a similar kind of cross... Launches himself at it.

I'm always using super cancel in these situations as your player seems to run faster as well as giving more control over where they meet the ball... Pretty sure I used it in my example but didn't go bottom right as I was already in front of the defender, and the ball was too far away to cut it off earlier at an angle like that.
That is right on Heskey's head though.
In your earlier clip the cross is much closer to the defender.

Now, I'm not saying he shouldn't have gone for the header, I agree with you I think he should have. I don't know if the game doesn't attempt diving headers if they're competing with a defender, or because it knew the player couldn't reach the ball it 'locked on' to the defender so it didn't let you attempt it.

I'm not defending it, just trying to work out why he never went for it.

To be honest, I'd be much more concerned if the header wasn't attempted in that second clip. That's absolutely perfect for him and not a defender anywhere near him.

how to move GK along line when defending FK?

(53 mins for a first half with no injuries. lol)

Something they took out with PES 2017 or 2018...can´t remember.
You were able to do that by holding down :triangle: and moving the left stick.

Now you have to press :triangle: when the opponent takes the shot, but I don´t really understand...he makes just a step or smething.

It’s like this with the Xbox one x version..

Most of my playtime the last three weeks has been on the PS4 pro..

When I switch over to the X version it’s slower...Has no bugs and no delay or input lag like the PS4 demo has in certain conditions and games(offline).

It’s more polished..The AI is better and there’s a lot more touches and animations I’m just not seeing on the PS4..

Thing is it isn’t placebo..One is clearly optimised better then the other and it’s exactly the same with the pc version.
I don't quite understand, sorry mate. As in the xb version players do or don't do more skills? Or are you talking just about delay etc. (I cant believe the Ps4 actually has less animations in the game though...)

The PC version hasn't missed a beat for me persoanlly. I never had a single problem with last years title either. Well, actually I did, but that was because I was trying to push the highest frame rate available and the game hates that. Let the application control the frame limit and voilà; no delays or input lag anywhere.

There has been no gameplay update with the demo.

Seriously, one person starts with this kind of stuff then everyone is 'feeling different things with the gameplay' all of a sudden.

The gameplay hasn't changed in this demo whatosever.

Bitch please :D You don't want to become my enemy #1-

Just kidding.
But the update definitely made it slower. At least just that. If not more.

Something they took out with PES 2017 or 2018...can´t remember.
You were able to do that by holding down :triangle: and moving the left stick.

Now you have to press :triangle: when the opponent takes the shot, but I don´t really understand...he makes just a step or smething.

i remember using triangle and LS for past pes and when it wasn't there i put it down to a control change tht i couldn't be bothered to figure out.

in 2020, it says under defending set pieces : GK free kick "[near positioning] keep holding triangle until opponent takes the kick".

to have sweet FA control of GK on FKs wreaks of incoming script. escript2020.

screw it - this alone has killed any enjoyment i'd anticipated for online. just going to stick to offline play now.

Edit : just checked. can confirm it was removed in 2018. 2017 had it.

Last edited:
That is right on Heskey's head though.
In your earlier clip the cross is much closer to the defender.

Now, I'm not saying he shouldn't have gone for the header, I agree with you I think he should have. I don't know if the game doesn't attempt diving headers if they're competing with a defender, or because it knew the player couldn't reach the ball it 'locked on' to the defender so it didn't let you attempt it.

I'm not defending it, just trying to work out why he never went for it.

To be honest, I'd be much more concerned if the header wasn't attempted in that second clip. That's absolutely perfect for him and not a defender anywhere near him.
I see your point, and I know the examples aren't exactly identical situations.

It's not the first time I've had this kind of thing happen though which is why I questioned whether diving headers even happen at all on manual. The perfect situation for one (like Heskey above) isn't all that common but I would have expected to have seen quite a few attempted by now. Would be interested in seeing an example if anyone else has had one.

One thought was that it could be a manual shooting problem, as headers in general have been quite broken in 2018 and 2019 but seemed fixed this year as I've scored loads of them.

Update regarding ML features from Durandil, who has hacked around in the demo code.

He tweeted part one back at the beginning of August, but he's just posted part two...

If this is implemented it would be HUGE for a game like PES. Serie A.. These ML-improvements and gameplay like the demo, then it will be the most played PES since PS2 for me.

I don't quite understand, sorry mate. As in the xb version players do or don't do more skills? Or are you talking just about delay etc. (I cant believe the Ps4 actually has less animations in the game though...)

The PC version hasn't missed a beat for me persoanlly. I never had a single problem with last years title either. Well, actually I did, but that was because I was trying to push the highest frame rate available and the game hates that. Let the application control the frame limit and voilà; no delays or input lag anywhere.

Apologies for not posting this in the pc thread, but how do you do that on the steam version?

Manual shooting can't have much/any impact from attributes. Scored this with Kolasinac's weak foot yesterday

https://gfycat.com/unfinishedunfitdassierat

This. It just takes away some of the satisfaction for me.

PES 2020 realizes this idea in-game by bringing an added level of realism to the pitch with enhanced context-sensitivity for kicking. This means that the accuracy of each shot and pass you unleash will change relative to your posture, your position on the pitch and how much pressure you’re under, making for a deeper and more authentic football experience. Now more than ever, you will be rewarded for timing, patience and match awareness.

Remember this from the first info about the game? If this refers to Basic and/or advanced shooting it's almost like Manual shooting is an unfair advantage (although it's quite hard to master).

Would add so much immersion to the mode, as long as it was balanced and based on a number of factors such as playing time, honours won with the club, fan affinity etc.

Playing the 'other' game last year I was Newcastle, and signed Isco from Real Madrid, he immediately transformed my results, being such a quality player he was opening up defenses and bagging quite a few goals, 4 months into his 2 year deal, he requested a transfer claiming he was homesick, so had no choice but to sell him, its things like this that we have to deal with in running a club that make you feel so much more invested.

"Players become unhappy and won't sign contract extensions" is a huge deal for me - I just wish they'd put in transfer requests too.

Update regarding ML features from Durandil, who has hacked around in the demo code.

He tweeted part one back at the beginning of August, but he's just posted part two...

Without wanting to sound like a jerk, the most are returning features, not new. Whatever, welcome them back.
I only hope they will be implemented with the dynamic needed and not just flat events like before, I.E.: You have Chievo Verona as a league underdog and the owner sets mission to finish 3rd. You finish 5th but you have sold 100M players, you won the Italian Cup, the Europa League and the Interstellar/Intergalactic/Universal Cup. BOOM! You are fired, cause you failed achieve 3rd place.
What I mean is the AI must be able to evaluate what you sacrificed to achieve something else.

Or remember in pes2012 having an unhappy “purple face” player demanding to be tranferlisted for benching him in two games. I played him 28 matches after that, he became top scorer, but the unhappy status never changed.

Now it is 2020 , so I hope it is time these features work properly.

Last edited:
"Players become unhappy and won't sign contract extensions" is a huge deal for me - I just wish they'd put in transfer requests too.

I’m so hyped for a Serie A campaign. I’m getting excited and I don’t want to get excited because inevitably I’ll get let down.

Me too, I'm super excited for a Serie A campaign and I really hope these rumoured features are true as it will definitely help up the realism a bit in ML mode.

I'm so excited for Serie A that I've even started creating the Brescia kits on my lunch break today as they will be the only default kit team in Serie A at launch won't they?

What if you dont have to get groceries on day 1?? What then?? You need to come up with an excuse.
- honey, need to get milk
- we have milk
- i meant bread
- we have bread
- leave me alone! What is your problem!?
:LOL:
Yeah, when you think about it, pre ordering is a bit silly. Especially Pes. Last year it wasnt even on the shelf. They gave it to me from under the till. Like they were ashamed of it.. :LOL:

I like the point about Boxed version and the fact that you can go back to pre-patch version. Unfortunately that would mean keeping Pes offline plus no possibility to play friendlies online with people here, which im looking forward to.
I'll probably just download it digital once I get a green light from people here.

Edit: altho this early release intrigued me now... where can you get these?
Wait a sec, you can keep It patchless with the boxed edition!? Is It true for the PC version too? Because I might buy It so for the first time in ages if It is

i remember using triangle and LS for past pes and when it wasn't there i put it down to a control change tht i couldn't be bothered to figure out.

in 2020, it says under defending set pieces : GK free kick "[near positioning] keep holding triangle until opponent takes the kick".

to have sweet FA control of GK on FKs wreaks of incoming script. escript2020.

screw it - this alone has killed any enjoyment i'd anticipated for online. just going to stick to offline play now.

Edit : just checked. can confirm it was removed in 2018. 2017 had it.
You can control the GK manually in any situation you want being it on free kicks or normal game with L1+R3.

Manual shooting can't have much/any impact from attributes. Scored this with Kolasinac's weak foot yesterday

https://gfycat.com/unfinishedunfitdassierat

Nice one (as a goal, not as a realistic outcome).

But, yes, that‘s what I meant. The only thing truly manual when using standard controls is manual shooting. Everything else (x, circle, triangle) seems assisted unless you press L2, though I personally haven‘t come to a final judgement yet as to advanced through ball and „early cross“. They often seem very
manual.

Question I have: on PA0 is there a difference between using x and triangle?

Nice one (as a goal, not as a realistic outcome).

But, yes, that‘s what I meant. The only thing truly manual when using standard controls is manual shooting. Everything else (x, circle, triangle) seems assisted unless you press L2, though I personally haven‘t come to a final judgement yet as to advanced through ball and „early cross“. They often seem very
manual.

Question I have: on PA0 is there a difference between using x and triangle?
Sometimes PA0 feels slightly assisted, but I'm not sure... You can obviously perform completely terrible passes on it, but sometimes I feel the weight on some is adjusted. Had one with a Xhaka chipped through ball yesterday which seemed that way but I won't keep spamming gifs :PP.

IMO there is a big difference between X and triangle passes, I find myself using triangle much more for even simple passes as it seems to have more consistency between charge time and weight on the pass, and it stays lower to the ground. This is with basic through balls though, so the controls are essentially the same between regular pass and through ball buttons.

On early crosses even on PA0, players with the "pinpoint crossing" trait hit them way differently to other players. It has nothing to do with the accuracy though so seems badly worded, it just has a LOT more pace on it and often much more curl.

"Weighted pass" and "Low lofted pass" cause different spin and trajectory on lobbed passes as well - not always for the better, but it does mean you have to somewhat take notice of which players are on the ball and adjust the kinds of passes you try to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom