eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
after many games including playing on amateur to test shooting over and over again I do think shooting is the achilles heel of the series. I just don't feel fully in control, even with advanced it sometimes feels weird and not logical to what I wanted to do, and it's hard to figure out why some shots go miles wide and others dont. when I score I feel a big element of luck like rolling a dice. the balance of goalkeepers is strange, I tested many times low power shots into their body and they *always* save it easily with their feet, there is very little chance of scoring unless its in the corner. of course then there is the logic errors like pointless dives and diving so far they end up nearly outside the 6 yard box

it is better than it has been but yet does not feel in sync with the standard of everything else in the game. this is maybe the only thing that fifa is ahead in and improvement here in 2021 could be the killing blow to fifa

p.s. I know manual is a thing but I don't like full manual in football games and I fear when people switch full manual it just gives an excuse to the developer to ignore you. even if you play manual you should pretend that you dont so we can pressure for more freedom in assisted passes/shots etc. :)) I think basic shooting should just be revamped to be something like semi in fifa

For all my frustration with recent iterations, I’m pretty excited for this years pro. Especially now I have decent internet to lay Master League Coop on shareplay. Does anyone know how to turn of all the directional symbols and garish colour icons on coop? It’s clutters the screen and is pretty frustrating. Only thing that puts me off. Would just prefer the old name above the head and coloured icon. If online coop includes my club again and is sandboxes regionally, it will be offline master league for us.

I need to ask a question. I was going to create a new thread with a poll for it but maybe it isn't worth it that much.

I split people in 3 groups, regarding their experience with PES 2020 Demo:
A)People like myself who have gone from that "not feeling it" vibe to "woah! this is the best PES in a very long time".
B)Those who simply loved it from the first second.
C)Those who simply aren't feeling it yet. Didn't love it on July 30th, and they still don't love it now.

BUT.... do we have anyone who actually loved it at first but now fallen out of love with it? Just don't feel that charm anymore? Or noticed way too many annoyances that can't be overlooked at this point?.

Notice: Demo time length, teams, stadiums, etc... also play a part in that "getting bored state" but please try to identify and separate the monotony any demo carries with it, from actual gameplay issues that could potentially keep you from enjoy the game throughout the year.

I need to know if there's a fourth group of people.

B...

Overall though I think the game could be and I hope it’s more responsive at launch..Without compromised fundamentals..

That’s my only real negative..There are moments where the game does feel laggy/unresponsive and there’s to much delay between command and execution(offline)single player...Even if the ball is at my feet..

It’s a big thing that needs ironing out and I hope it’s more a optimisation issue and the demo code being beta..

Last edited:
I need to ask a question. I was going to create a new thread with a poll for it but maybe it isn't worth it that much.

A)People like myself who have gone from that "not feeling it" vibe to "woah! this is the best PES in a very long time".
C)Those who simply aren't feeling it yet. Didn't love it on July 30th, and they still don't love it now.

BUT.... do we have anyone who actually loved it at first but now fallen out of love with it? Just don't feel that charm anymore? Or noticed way too many annoyances that can't be overlooked at this point?.

Notice: Demo time length, teams, stadiums, etc... also play a part in that "getting bored state" but please try to identify and separate the monotony any demo carries with it, from actual gameplay issues that could potentially keep you from enjoy the game throughout the year.

Surely A. I approached the demo with the greatest skepticism. I did the first two games or something in a kind of trance status, then I snapped thinking, "well beyond the doubts, the thousand critics, the doubts.. the game plays good, immensely better than i thought, there Is no deny It.."

Btw I've stopped play the demo too, Will wait for opinions on the final game, I want the complete thing now.

If in A you include seeing videos before playing, then that's me.
If not, I'm B although I played maybe 10 games before really knowing that I liked it.

I think you should just go ahead and make the poll and include the 4th option but maybe state that it must not be because of demo limitation of time, teams and modes. Or you could frase the main question as something like "in terms of pure gameplay, what is your experience of the demo?". Maybe no one will choose option 4 but at least they had the option.

Would also be interesting if you did a similar pole when the game releases to see how people feel about the full game compared to the demo.

So... so far, there's nobody that can be Member #1 of Group D.
Interesting...

I would have to go through dozens of pages and tons of posts but I think that every single year before this one, by this time (a month after the Demo) there were a lot of us turning around from and original "I love it! The King Is Back!" to "Hmmm this is starting to get on my nerves. I hope X is fixed on the final code or it's a game breaker for me" to "OK I'm done with it. If they don't fix X, it's definitely a no-go for me" to "pre-order canceled".

So... so far, there's nobody that can be Member #1 of Group D.
Interesting...

I would have to go through dozens of pages and tons of posts but I think that every single year before this one, by this time (a month after the Demo) there were a lot of us turning around from and original "I love it! The King Is Back!" to "Hmmm this is starting to get on my nerves. I hope X is fixed on the final code or it's a game breaker for me" to "OK I'm done with it. If they don't fix X, it's definitely a no-go for me" to "pre-order canceled".
I wouldn't say I'm a member of your "Group D", but I'm already getting increasingly bored of the action in the final third because of the repetitive shooting and overpowered keepers.

The rest of the game can be very enjoyable and is growing on me each time I play - the passing, dribbling, physicality, physics... Lots of really good stuff, but if you know it's going to finish with the same predictable shots/saves/goals at the end then it's going to diminish the satisfaction in the build-up play more and more over time.

Kind of like how I can't stand watching even the great early episodes of GoT because I know the ending is absolutely garbage... Could end up where I don't enjoy the excellent gameplay in most of the pitch because the ending of it is usually unsatisfying in one way or another (even when I score).

Haven‘t fallen out of it, still play it every day, mainly because I still haven‘t found the right difficulty/assist settings that suit me, but my initial love has somewhat suffered from the limited chance creation and the fact that, like in 2019, the defensive AI is so compact and overpowered that they are basically only penetrable by coincidence and not so much by your clever play.

I almost have the feeling there was an update in between or the dreaded „adaptive AI“ is analyzing your preferred patterns and reacts accordingly, meaning the more you play, the harder it gets. It felt much looser and random in the beginning, but that might be placebo.

Still going to purchase and download it on Sep 10.

I wouldn't say I'm a member of your "Group D", but I'm already getting increasingly bored of the action in the final third because of the repetitive shooting and overpowered keepers.

The rest of the game can be very enjoyable and is growing on me each time I play - the passing, dribbling, physicality, physics... Lots of really good stuff, but if you know it's going to finish with the same predictable shots/saves/goals at the end then it's going to diminish the satisfaction in the build-up play more and more over time.

Kind of like how I can't stand watching even the great early episodes of GoT because I know the ending is absolutely garbage... Could end up where I don't enjoy the excellent gameplay in most of the pitch because the ending of it is usually unsatisfying in one way or another (even when I score).

Once again, @rojofa put it much more succinctly than I ever could. This. Particularly the part about the final third. Up to there it‘s the „best evah“, but then it‘s deflating quickly, which is a pity, because that should be the part where it‘s providing the most fun.

Last edited:
Once again, @rojofa put it much more succinctly than I ever could. This. Particularly the part about the final third. Up to there it‘s the „best evah“, but then it‘s deflating quickly, which is a pity, because that should be the part where it‘s providing the most fun.
Yeah it's also where I am.

For me, it's this or the other game. I need a football game every year. The other game looks atrocious and no amount of tinkering with sliders will make it difficult enough to enjoy for a year.

So I'm in for PES but it's going to be casual, I'm not taking it serious this year.

Don't know of if it's the update or playing on Superstar, but the game has stepped up a level.

Messi is doing Messi things
Fouls are just right
Barcelona have had more possession than me
CPU is nice and aggressive in all aspects, it's press, attacks and tackles.

Things are very good right now.

Reactions: OBH
Is this becoming a rap battle then?
Feelin'ready.

I know exactly the kind of game I'd like to play,
that's why I said it'll always be an 'A'.
One man's stance can change, so can what he feels.
And if you think I didn't rap it good enough, have no fear:
I'll now hand the mic to my mate @chiefrocka4real

Rock da chief is gone for real,
so let me tell ya how I feel,
I just couldn’t stay away,
played the demo every day,
Hammering for many hours,
forgot to take the daily showers,
I’m gone myself for two weeks,
East coast vacation that’s what I need,
When I’ll be back be sure of that,
I’ll grab my copy and play the heck,
And now it’s time for some of you,
To show your rap game, and keep it true!!
*dropsdamiconthehospitalfloor*
;)

@Chuny man, I’m really curious what our @B-Man will choose! He ain’t got any chance with that name!!! :LMAO:
I’m prepared calling him A-Man very soon!! Amen to that! :LOL:
;) love ya B!!

Don't know of if it's the update or playing on Superstar, but the game has stepped up a level.

Messi is doing Messi things
Fouls are just right
Barcelona have had more possession than me
CPU is nice and aggressive in all aspects, it's press, attacks and tackles.

Things are very good right now.
There’s been no update why do people keep pedalling this myth? Demos rarely get updates.

They have updated the PC demo a couple of times to fix a some glaring bugs - one to fix how some people were getting disconnected in online games, and another to fix the online pre-match menu going extremely slowly (like 5fps) if you were the home team.

There was another 200mb+ update yesterday as well, but no idea what it was for as there were no patch notes.

Can see when the various branches have been updated here;
https://steamdb.info/app/996480/depots/?branch=public

That update comments are PC talk.
The discussion slipped in here...

Quick off topic question (please excuse): where can I get cheap premier league tickets for teams in London? Especially the September 21st weekend! ;)
PM me please. Thx.

Last edited:

Ok, so i loved the ending of GOT :OT:

In all seriousness, in some games i feel that way but after some adjustments to my play and more focus things open up. Actually, when this happens i retreat and let the other team have the ball and hit on the counter. But the variety im seeing could be due to the longer games im playing on PC.

Cant comment on how it is on PS4 as i only use it for online. So lets hope this wont be a problem in the full game :BEER:

I think any updates are likely to be for basic operational things like the demo not launching properly, not actual gameplay. It's likely far from the final build that they already have, so would be mostly pointless tweaking the demo. Still, I do wish they'd sort the bloody super cancel online bug out, cos it's by far the worst thing about the demo imo!

I think any updates are likely to be for basic operational things like the demo not launching properly, not actual gameplay. It's likely far from the final build that they already have, so would be mostly pointless tweaking the demo. Still, I do wish they'd sort the bloody super cancel online bug out, cos it's by far the worst thing about the demo imo!
Honestly, have a little look through the PC thread.

One game against Barca after the update and Messi acts COMPLETELY differently. I’ll get a few clips later if you insist.

Console stuff goes through a cert process doesn't it, means updates take longer to be approved so fingers crossed one is coming.

Honestly, have a little look through the PC thread.

One game against Barca after the update and Messi acts COMPLETELY differently. I’ll get a few clips later if you insist.

Console stuff goes through a cert process doesn't it, means updates take longer to be approved so fingers crossed one is coming.
I'm not gonna say you're definitely wrong, but... I'm gonna strongly hint at it :D

Every year people say this stuff. I don't find first-person accounts very convincing on this sort of thing. I've never been one even for the "but the demo/beta was soooo different" stuff either. There's a huge amount of confirmation bias.

I was chatting to someone on Twitter who was convinced the version for the Americas was an updated code because he thought it was smoother. He and several others had tested it "for days" and swore by it. I played it and noticed no differences. The main thing that drew him to it? It was a different app on the PS4 console. The reason? Because it has different localisation options (languages etc). Official sources confirmed it was the same.

So yeah, I just take the playing reports re "changes" with a bucket of salt.

Meanwhile, you have to think about this logistically. Why would they go to the effort? Would they stand for disparity across the platforms? Would they have the spare resources for that at this point in their release cycle, where everything is likely super frantic right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom