eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last post in here for a while because I don’t want to pollute the thread. It’s annoying when people are negative, I get that.

But I’ve uninstalled the demo. The game is still far too rigid, on rails and basic. It’s just that...basic. Which is so annoying as there’s a lot about it I like i.e. the slow realistic pace, amazing player models and a good weighty feel to the ball.

But man, I can’t get past how dated everything feels. I saw someone earlier say that it’s like a PS2 PES game or something similar. Is that a good thing? Why hasn’t the game evolved and improved more than it has by now?

Again, my last post - don’t want to annoy you. But this game really isn’t that good in MY opinion and I fear the usual suspects on Twitter will gush on release, claim that ‘Da King Iz Back’ and all that nonsense and Konami will be like “job done, don’t need add much next year.”

When in reality, in MY opinion, the game is hugely flawed both as a game and as a package.

Now I’ll look forward to PES 2021 and see what it brings.
To me it is an improvement over 2019, but there are still player animations that leave a lot to be desired,there s still the unresponsive nature of the ball when it inside the box and u have players surrounding u,it just doesn t wanna shoot the ball on target , or ur shot is too slow , add to that the keepers are overpowered , making it not realistic when u play vs another player who u are dominating from start to finish.
For example: getting chances and shooting on target has no.meaning here, the ball has to go in, and tbh the passing assistance here really helps a lot people who play the game as newcomers, it is way too assisted at the moment even on pa1...it was much harder to get used to the game in the old gen PES.
On another note, seems that the AI cheating has been toned down, this for me is a huge Yes, because i wanna enjoy a master league immersion and play a whole season against a varied cpu.
THE SOUND DESIGN:
PLEASE don t let me talk about the sound in the game, it still feels like they never will get that matchday feel that the other game nails, that matchday atmosphere seems that they are struggling to fix

I have to say, as much as I'm not personally a fan of the demo, I went back and played all the modern PES games I own (i.e. from 2013 onwards) and I think the demo gameplay is hands-down the best of the lot.

2014 comes closest, with its ball physics and focus on realism (and it's totally different to every game that followed it up to now), but the reality is 2014's just too frustrating (because of the lag) to play for any serious length of time.

I've been here for 16+ years and it's a fantastic feeling to see the community pretty much united in enjoying the game.

I've said before, I think there's a split in what communities like ours generally want now that it's 2019 - one side wants the best possible classic PES game, and occasionally will say things like "give us a PES 5 remaster" or whatever their favourite classic might be. That's what 2020 feels like to me. A real "best of" PES.

The other side (and I think it's the smaller side) wants Konami to come along and, like they did back in the 90s, blow us all away with something totally new, on another level of realism compared to current football games. (Which is, obviously, asking a lot.)

I personally can't get past the stiffness of 2020 (which doesn't equate to realism for me), tactics being so rigid (you rarely see a broken defensive line and constantly just run into a brick wall of players as a whole team runs back to pack the box), or the AI playing such simple, soulless, straight-forward football (maybe the ML will be different, and I'm eagerly awaiting some ML videos).

But I can't say they've done nothing this year, or been "lazy" (which is such a lazy gaming stereotype), and I can also admit that maybe I'm expecting too much at this point.

There are more licenses than ever (more stadiums would make a huge difference to me, but at least with a PC you can get around that), and on the ball it feels great. I'd like attributes to mean more and I'd love to see a real variety in passes/shots (which all seem to be the same speed most of the time, except for the manual screamers).

But I get why there is so much love for this - they're changing things that actually matter (introducing mishits etc.) so even I can forgive them the little things.

I also don't think the final release will be any different gameplay-wise, they'd be crazy given the response they've had and they're virtually promising it won't change behind the scenes.

It's PES's best year in a long time.

Last edited:
the beauty of myclub is its ease of acquisition of star players and the need for careful use of the players and manage your budget. that's been pes premise since MLO.

it sounds like what you seek is fifa/fut with pes gameplay but 2020 myclub could be a nice surprise (or not).

To an extent yes. And regardless of what people might say about Fifa gameplay one thing that is undeniable is the popularity of FUT.

I like the player development/leveling up. I can get by with the managers/formations thing.

But a game mode like Myclub needs longevity. EA understands this and releases better players more slowly giving people a continued reason to play beyond December. You could argue they have gone too far with all the card types but that's what keeps people coming back.

The FUT packweight is diabolical, but you cant pack a top rated TOTY type Messi on day 1. Or a 94 rated Ziyech but I dont see why you would need to or want to. It gives you little to aspire to as the weeks go by.

As a player the economy in pes myclub does feel backwards.

Playing more to unlock rewards and good players seems to reward positive behaviours.

Not sure what gifting godlike players that you are deincentivised to use because of the ridiculous contract costs seems strange to me.

I have to say, as much as I'm not personally a fan of the demo, I went back and played all the modern PES games I own (i.e. from 2013 onwards) and I think the demo gameplay is hands-down the best of the lot.

2014 comes closest, with its ball physics and focus on realism (and it's totally different to every game that followed it up to now), but the reality for me is that it's just too difficult / frustrating to control your players (because of the lag) to play for any serious length of time.

It's genuinely nice to see the community pretty much united in enjoying the game. For years, loads of us have screamed "give us a PES 5 remaster" or whatever your favourite classic might be. That's what 2020 feels like to me. A real "best of" PES.

Personally, I want something different now - I can't get past the stiffness of it (which doesn't equate to realism for me), tactics being so rigid (you so rarely see a defensive mistake and rarely catch them out to earn a 1-on-1, you just run into a brick wall of players as the whole team runs back to pack the box), or the AI playing such simple, soulless, straight-forward football (maybe the ML will be different, and I'm eagerly awaiting some ML videos).

But I also can't say they've done nothing this year - there are more licenses than ever (more stadiums would make a huge difference to me, but at least with a PC you can get around that), and on the ball it feels great. I'd like attributes to mean more and I'd love to see a real variety in passes/shots (which all seem to be the same speed most of the time, except for the manual screamers).

I get why there is so much love for this - they're changing things that actually matter (introducing mishits etc.) so even I can forgive them the little things.

I also don't think the final release will be any different gameplay-wise, they'd be crazy given the response they've had and they're virtually promising it won't change behind the scenes.

Good summary there Chris especially the pes5 analogy..

Try it on the Xbox one x..I think a lot of the lag,delay your experiencing at times is a optimisation issue on the PS4 demo..Ive noticed it especially during night games and when effects are dialled up..Night,rain games are smooth as butter on the X..

It feels marginal but the more you play the Xbox one version on the X.The more your notice the difference.

Everything can be improved and we could say the same about every single game out there. Football games are nowhere near the point i would like them to be but i just can't dismiss what Konami tried to do with Pes 2020, i feel like they have to be rewarded. Waiting for the perfect football game in my head would mean to wait ages and maybe it will never be released, so i'm just happy to buy a game that is fun to play. Pes 2018 and 2019 were not fun to play, this demo is. Unless a disaster happens and they change things too much Pes 2020 final game will be enjoyable too.

How will Pes be next year? There's lots of time before that.

I agree with @DigitalByDesign

PES, like most games these days, runs a lot better on the X.

I actually regret buying the Pro, it’s a bit of sh*t machine as regards to ‘upgrades’ go.

The Pro is fantastic, stop bringing console war bullshit into the thread. PES plays absolutely fine on the PS4 and Pro.

There is a difference and it run’s on the X without ever dropping a frame(replays are smoother).There’s also less bugs,inconsistencies.Night games and Rainey games do suffer with a heaviness and delay that just isn’t there on the X..Texture quality is also better.Its more akin to to the pc version.And a more polished demo in comparison..

That’s not to say there won’t be parity at launch.

I have a PS4 pro too and have spent a lot more time playing that version.Bare in mind also the X does things at a hardware level that the pro just doesn’t do.Plus has a much greater gpu overhead..It’s telling especially with PES..

Last edited:
To an extent yes. And regardless of what people might say about Fifa gameplay one thing that is undeniable is the popularity of FUT.

I like the player development/leveling up. I can get by with the managers/formations thing.

But a game mode like Myclub needs longevity. EA understands this and releases better players more slowly giving people a continued reason to play beyond December. You could argue they have gone too far with all the card types but that's what keeps people coming back.

The FUT packweight is diabolical, but you cant pack a top rated TOTY type Messi on day 1. Or a 94 rated Ziyech but I dont see why you would need to or want to. It gives you little to aspire to as the weeks go by.

As a player the economy in pes myclub does feel backwards.

Playing more to unlock rewards and good players seems to reward positive behaviours.

Not sure what gifting godlike players that you are deincentivised to use because of the ridiculous contract costs seems strange to me.

Way I see it - it should be the better player/manager you are the higher up the ranking you go. By end game you should have enough GP to field your best players comfortably and you've levelled them up so that that it truly is your club that you have nurtured by end game and if you want to bring a new boy in you can but you take a chance doing that.

However, for this to work you need a closed GP system so farming is not rewarded. You need good matchmaking capabilities. You need to punish cheats. You need script based on your team and form, not some magic unknowns. You need to even the controls across the mode - like a PRO MyClub mode.

Until we get that, MyClub is just a pointless time sink.

Anyways, welcome and fingers crossed there are improvements this year.

Anyone think it's funny that the very year PES loses the much underused ball roll animation, FIFA finally added it (with a similar command)?

It's a shame for PES. I'm overall a fan of the remapping for the finesse dribbling, but the ball roll as a casualty isn't great.

Not really heard anything regarding this but how close do you guys think we are till cross plat begins?

Still not the norm I know but choosing a computer based on which one your friends have should be a thing of the past in a year to two.

Way I see it - it should be the better player/manager you are the higher up the ranking you go. By end game you should have enough GP to field your best players comfortably and you've levelled them up so that that it truly is your club that you have nurtured by end game and if you want to bring a new boy in you can but you take a chance doing that.

However, for this to work you need a closed GP system so farming is not rewarded. You need good matchmaking capabilities. You need to punish cheats. You need script based on your team and form, not some magic unknowns. You need to even the controls across the mode - like a PRO MyClub mode.

Until we get that, MyClub is just a pointless time sink.

Anyways, welcome and fingers crossed there are improvements this year.

People want a time sink. They want progression. Otherwise there would be no FUT.

There would be no Master League or Myclub. Its just that myclub seems to kinda skip the end game profession and up fronts it. Giving you things you cant use and without good reason.

The match making system mating 3 star vs 3 star etc and 5 star vs 5 star is adequate enough that you dont need to stop players using their best players via hardstop contract costs.

Good post. What is your job? Lol

Financial sector. I'm not a fan of a lot of practices found in it or "the market" and want to be able chuck it by the time I turn 40, but I decided to take advantage of it as they will me anyway and just about everybody on the planet. There are, of course, far more serious issues with finance and the market than games, but the last decade or so has really seen the precious market screw with gaming, with me (and think it is fair to say others) feeling that with football games in particular. I do have some very tempered admiration (probably the wrong word choice) for Konami with PES in how it operates.

I saw someone earlier say that it’s like a PS2 PES game or something similar. Is that a good thing? Why hasn’t the game evolved and improved more than it has by now?
This one is a real problem here - on one hand people say, 'Oh look how good PES 5/6 plays even today compared to modern titles', and then someone will say 'PES 2020 is a lot like PES 5/6? Shouldn't it be progressing in 15 odd years?' Precisely the reason why we can't ever get a perfect football game.

Anyone think it's funny that the very year PES loses the much underused ball roll animation, FIFA finally added it (with a similar command)?

It's a shame for PES. I'm overall a fan of the remapping for the finesse dribbling, but the ball roll as a casualty isn't great.

I could well imagine they didn't even realise a move was being lost due to the control changes! It's so stupid because there's no reason why it can't just be the same.

People want a time sink. They want progression. Otherwise there would be no FUT.

There would be no Master League or Myclub. Its just that myclub seems to kinda skip the end game profession and up fronts it. Giving you things you cant use and without good reason.

The match making system mating 3 star vs 3 star etc and 5 star vs 5 star is adequate enough that you dont need to stop players using their best players via hardstop contract costs.

the beauty of MyClub - you realise you are wasting your time after about a month.

the beauty of FUT - you don't.

on a serious note to the regulars here - would any of you like to "pair" up for myclub this year. i.e. pairing up with ONE player maybe for a once-weekly game over the course of a month/or even the 2020 campaign if its good (not talking about co-op)

i'm looking at ONE MyClub game per week with a low weekly spending cap with a cap on fielded BB/GB etc. (The low spending cap means I won; get addicted to farming elements)

for one game a week i think my preferred system would be the X for this. [if numbers/interest was there then PS4]

Anyone interested perhaps take a look here https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/evo-web-ps4-myclub-for-mature-gamers-only-idea-proposition.80483/ and maybe we can try a couple of pre-release demo matches to check connection etc.

MyClub is a "good" system but it needs closed rules to flourish. Much like @slamsoze 's analogy MyClub is chock full of "adboards" but what you have to focus on is the "pitch" . Eliminate the ads and I suspect you have a GREAT game sitting right in front of you.

cheers

[also be aware i don't have, nor use, a mic]

Last edited:
But man, I can’t get past how dated everything feels. I saw someone earlier say that it’s like a PS2 PES game or something similar. Is that a good thing? Why hasn’t the game evolved and improved more than it has by now?
Many of us have grown up with the PS2-era games. I did, too. That's why we're so attached to them and that's why we "look" for something reminding us about them in every new PES that gets released.
I for one must say that this demo reminds me of the good things that I used to feel in that era. The fun, that "one more match" feeling that more than once kept me up all night without noticing, that "put down the controller, stand up and shout" feeling after a wonderful goal and that very good feeling of satisfaction, that feeling rewarded, when I manage to pull off a particularly well executed play. All of these were things I used to feel back in the day, this demo is the closest to that that we've ever been.

This being said, this doesn't mean things have progressed.
I'd be a fool if I said that the game hasn't progressed since: this is now a completely different game from a technical standpoint. What we can achieve now was impossible to achieve (and probably even to think about) back then.
I definitely feel like Konami are on the right track here, they've come up with something way better than what we had last year, probably even better than PES 2017 and PES 2015 (which are the two games of the current gen I liked the most).
Surely they could've done some things better than they have. Surely we have moments in which keepers are either superhuman or totally at a loss. Surely awareness can be toned up a little (but it's already better than what we had in the past by a land mile)... But all in all it's a great effort and I hope they don't touch it (or, if they really need to, they do as less as they can).

Many of us have grown up with the PS2-era games. I did, too. That's why we're so attached to them and that's why we "look" for something reminding us about them in every new PES that gets released.
I for one must say that this demo reminds me of the good things that I used to feel in that era. The fun, that "one more match" feeling that more than once kept me up all night without noticing, that "put down the controller, stand up and shout" feeling after a wonderful goal and that very good feeling of satisfaction, that feeling rewarded, when I manage to pull off a particularly well executed play. All of these were things I used to feel back in the day, this demo is the closest to that that we've ever been.

This being said, this doesn't mean things have progressed.
I'd be a fool if I said that the game hasn't progressed since: this is now a completely different game from a technical standpoint. What we can achieve now was impossible to achieve (and probably even to think about) back then.
I definitely feel like Konami are on the right track here, they've come up with something way better than what we had last year, probably even better than PES 2017 and PES 2015 (which are the two games of the current gen I liked the most).
Surely they could've done some things better than they have. Surely we have moments in which keepers are either superhuman or totally at a loss. Surely awareness can be toned up a little (but it's already better than what we had in the past by a land mile)... But all in all it's a great effort and I hope they don't touch it (or, if they really need to, they do as less as they can).
Yes many of us grew up playing PS1 and PS2 PES. I even loved ISS on the SNES, that was my first experience of the series.

I said this in the Contrast & Compare thread - I’ve been overly critical of this demo. It’s actually a very good game, I’m just not getting any enjoyment from gaming in general at the moment so it’s a more of an issue for me I guess.

I know, I know I’ll cave in and buy this on day one because I’m a sucker for PES. Always have been.

myClub is gash, think I got a 95 rated Simeone within the first week and had no desire or incentive to keep building my team after that.

Much preferred MLO in PES 2011. The slow progression of transfers meant we had loads of interesting discussion on here about who were the hidden gems, which low-rated players had interesting cards that gave them an edge. We had that keeper from NZ with a mammoth kick, Huddlestone like a statue in midfield pinging accurate long-balls. Diego Buonanotte and Lavezzi tearing it up in attack. You really felt the difference as you fitted each cog into the team. Barely had the come up against the likes of Messi or Ronaldo, unless the rest of the team was gutted as they were so extortionately expensive to afford.

Yes many of us grew up playing PS1 and PS2 PES. I even loved ISS on the SNES, that was my first experience of the series.

I said this in the Contrast & Compare thread - I’ve been overly critical of this demo. It’s actually a very good game, I’m just not getting any enjoyment from gaming in general at the moment so it’s a more of an issue for me I guess.

I know, I know I’ll cave in and buy this on day one because I’m a sucker for PES. Always have been.

you're actually in a very good place for me at the moment re pes because your not blinded by the hype and stuff.

if you'd like to try a couple of games, let me know because i am undecided when i will get pes 2020. might be release day, mifght be discount day, might be never.

myClub is gash, think I got a 95 rated Simeone within the first week and had no desire or incentive to keep building my team after that.

Much preferred MLO in PES 2011. The slow progression of transfers meant we had loads of interesting discussion on here about who were the hidden gems, which low-rated players had interesting cards that gave them an edge. We had that keeper from NZ with a mammoth kick, Huddlestone like a statue in midfield pinging accurate long-balls. Diego Buonanotte and Lavezzi tearing it up in attack. You really felt the difference as you fitted each cog into the team. Barely had the come up against the likes of Messi or Ronaldo, unless the rest of the team was gutted as they were so extortionately expensive to afford.

open-rule myclub is gash.

closed-rule myclub? who knows?

[i'll stop posting now. i just took a nap and woke up thinking about myclub for some reason.]

There is a difference and it run’s on the X without ever dropping a frame(replays are smoother).There’s also less bugs,inconsistencies.Night games and Rainey games do suffer with a heaviness and delay that just isn’t there on the X..Texture quality is also better.Its more akin to to the pc version.And a more polished demo in comparison..

That’s not to say there won’t be parity at launch.

I have a PS4 pro too and have spent a lot more time playing that version.Bare in mind also the X does things at a hardware level that the pro just doesn’t do.Plus has a much greater gpu overhead..It’s telling especially with PES..

Only if the developers make their games run that way for the X. I had an X and sold it because apart from a slightly better resolution there wasn't much between most games and it should run better considering it came out a year later and at a higher price point.

Anyway, PES on the Pro runs just as good, plus you can edit the kits which is important.

Personally I don't think football has evolved monumentally in the last 15 years. Not the actual playing of it, in my opinion. There have been changes in tactical approaches and conditioning, but I don't think Messi and Ronaldo were participating in a completely different sport in, say 2005, compared to 2019.

I did say PS2 vibes in one of my previous posts and when saying that didn't mean it looks or even moves like it did 15 years ago. It is hard to truly nail down why that is how I feel but could be things like fouling system reminding me of PES5 without being a carbon copy of it, or just a flow thing in spite of each respective title having a very different pace. It can remind me of a feeling I had then when playing, or the sense of anticipation I had when playing a PES5 demo. I don't feel things like that require progression, on a personal level, as it inspiring similar vibes to that which I had then isn't a bad thing. I'm older now compared to then so perhaps getting a familiar or nostalgic feeling has surprised me. Sometimes that can feel just as good as being blown away by something new.

I actually like the quickness of acquiring a team since its no longer he who played the most gets advantage, not because skill but because they were willing to spend 10 hours a day grinding.

In FIFA this year I hit a brick wall when team got to about 90 rated and the next pieces of the puzzle were costing 300k+ or in hours, an impossible amount.

the beauty of MyClub - you realise you are wasting your time after about a month.

the beauty of FUT - you don't.

on a serious note to the regulars here - would any of you like to "pair" up for myclub this year. (not talking about co-op)

i'm looking at ONE MyClub game per week with a low weekly spending cap with a cap on fielded BB/GB etc. (The low spending cap means I won; get addicted to farming elements)

for one game a week i think my preferred system would be the X for this. [if numbers/interest was there then PS4]

Anyone interested perhaps take a look here https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/evo-web-ps4-myclub-for-mature-gamers-only-idea-proposition.80483/ and maybe we can try a couple of pre-release demo matches to check connection etc.

MyClub is a "good" system but it needs closed rules to flourish. Much like @slamsoze 's analogy MyClub is chock full of "adboards" but what you have to focus on is the "pitch" . Eliminate the ads and I suspect you have a GREAT game sitting right in front of you.

cheers

I'd be at the mercy of time and likely internet connection quality but this does interest me.

cheers

It's a good idea, like you mention there are dedicated sites that have their own leagues and transfer markets which are infinitely more enjoyable than the base game modes.

The only challenge is it takes a lot of organisation and commitment to make it run effectively. You need an active player base of 30+ people to prevent finding/arranging games becoming a chore.

I actually like the quickness of acquiring a team since its no longer he who played the most gets advantage, not because skill but because they were willing to spend 10 hours a day grinding.

In FIFA this year I hit a brick wall when team got to about 90 rated and the next pieces of the puzzle were costing 300k+ or in hours, an impossible amount.

Individual preference might vary but when I look for myclub youtubers there's like 2 with 5 videos from 2018.

Whereas FUT has loads of streamers posting content every day so I think on aggregate we can guess that the majority prefer and stick longer to games with progression rather than first day all star fan service.

As I say there is a lot myclub does well but clearly FUT is a much preferred format but bolted onto a bad game.

Why is there no myclub App? Why cant I scout players and bid via an app?

Anyway there seems to be mixed voices on here who either dislike myclub or FUT so nevermind.

Thing is, when you have 90 rated team, do those 99 rated players even make a difference? At that point every team is already super fast, super strong, stupidly good technique, so ironically those 'legend' players barely have any noticeable impact. Whenever I've tried FUT I've had no issues being competitive with a team of world class, yet relatively cheap, players.

For me there's no fun in that though, as the sense of progression tops out within the first few weeks. MLO gave the incentive to actually be creative with your squad limitations, having to forgo a decent striker to get in good defensive cover etc. It meant you churned through about 5 tiers of players, each one giving a new sense of excitement when you brought them in. It also has a capped salary budget which meant no-one could assemble a team of pure superstars, if you wanted Messi then you most likely had a team of defaults behind him.

Obviously it's all preference, and clearly the desire for superstars and rare top level cards is enough that people are willing to pay £1k+ to get there. That won't change unless the law does regarding lootboxs/pay-to-win mechanics. It's just a shame as I felt the early versions of FUT and myClub were much more varied and interesting as a consequence. Like the equivalent of eating dessert first rather than starting with your veggies.

It's a good idea, like you mention there are dedicated sites that have their own leagues and transfer markets which are infinitely more enjoyable than the base game modes.

The only challenge is it takes a lot of organisation and commitment to make it run effectively. You need an active player base of 30+ people to prevent finding/arranging games becoming a chore.

[hmmm. i just read my post and i didn't make clear (i'll edit that post now) - when i said i want to pair up i meant with ONE other player.

i used to play proevo network - addictve as helll .... no way do i want that ...i'm looking for ONE casual playing partner so i can switch on every week and have a game of myclub/show off any acquisitions/see if my skills/squad is good and then switch off.

heck, you guys could try the same thing - or if there's a lot of interest we could all put our names in a hat and be paired with a random other for each month - i say month so peeps can take breaks or leave if they don't like it.

basically what i'm getting at is that the game is (probably) there, but its up to the gamer to find it...and i still haven;t found it hence my posting. ]

[i'm editing my post and really shutting up now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom