eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe why Konami removed so many functions in Edit mode. In PES 2013 on ps3, not only could be create our own stadiums, but we could also import own chants into the game that improved the atmosphere a lot.

Since Konami can't compete with EA on licenses, why on earth don't they invest more money into Edit mode??

Stadium editor got removed due to licensing issues.
As for the chants, yes that was a great function.

This is where I think the fanbase has become divided over the years, if you like.

I couldn't play this demo with 10 min halves for a year. Nothing to play for, no career, no meaningful outcome or sense of acomplishment.

I see a lot of PES guys on twitter happy with faces and celebrations. It's enough for them because they love the gameplay as well, which is great (I envy them.)

Personally, I need the package. I need an in-depth Career Mode, different stadia to play at, stuff to do. I could have played the PES 3 demo all year round, probably. But I was younger then, times were different.

And for me, PES flatters to deceive on that front, year in, year out. There's not package as such. There's a game which you can play over and over again. But it's all so stale and repetitive now. Liceneses feel half arsed. Hell, everything feels half arsed. PES 2020 feels archaic, to me. The transition between play and a cutscene. Having to press that Options Button each and every time, a 100 times a game.

There's so much wrong with PES still I could be here all day, I'd write essays on it. The gameplay is better now, definitly. But how long has that taken to get right? And when will we see a deeper package, a more engrossing career mode included? In 20 years? 30?

I just don't trust Konami at all anymore. And this is from someone who was a diehard PES fanboy when I was younger, I'd laugh at you if you suggested a FIFA game for my football gaming fix. Yes, I was childish and fanboys are silly. But you get my drift.

Fair enough..I completely understand where your coming from..I felt the same way a few years back..

I don’t really have the bias that I once had for the other game..Ive appreciated its merits and have enjoyed it since 13..16 was a real highlight and I squeezed a lot of enjoyment out of 19(out of the box unpatched).I will be buying both.

The problem with Konami is they do the bare minimum each year and are too hung up on pleasing the online crowd with faces and tattoos than they are paying attention to the basics.
I Seriously think the Japanese just do not understand the westernised game of football that well, and lots of things are lost in translation, or just lost in totality.

A whole year plus to basically add a new camera angle (which was in the old PES's then mysteriously removed over the years for no reason like so much other stuff), add some new animations, and change the colour scheme of the menus?

Just a few things spring to mind on the subject of lack of attention to basics:

- No visible trophy when you win the english league or cup, just an empty space where the trophy should be
- innaccurate and repetitive commentary year after year
- No matchday atmosphere, just a wall of sound that rises and falls, no chants, no songs, no club specific chants
- Attain licenses and do nothing with them, no adboards, no presentation graphics, nothing.
- Lack of stadiums, playing ML as a championship side in a euro bowl style 60,000 capacity stadium is an immersion killer.
- Why remove stadium editor after one year? the assets could have easily been porte to the new fox engine back in 2013, or a new creator made
- Way too slow with any DLC content, last year selling pre-orders on the back of Celtic and Rangers and a Licensed SPL, then having to wait 7 months for Ibrox and Celtic Park.
- Community figure, way too defensive, only like ass kissers and cant take any criticism even when fed back in a polite constructive way.

I could go on .....

PES 20 might better than PES 19, IMO PES19 was dire, but lets wait until release and see if the day one patrch does what we all expect it to, removes shot/pass error, increases pace, removes fouls, basically what they do every yyear, panic and hit the big red 'Lets make it safe for Online' button.

Absolutely no confidence or faith in PES Productions as a developer, years of lies, false promises and stripping half the game away has seen to that.

If PES 20 releases, and after the patch, plays as good as the demo then it will be a big surprise.

Can't say you're completely wrong. I totally agree that Konami could do a whole lot more.
This said, imo you're exagerating big time.

Immersion is personal, but good gameplay is the best way to have immersion. If the Retail version is like the demo (and that is a big if) then we will have very good gameplay this year.

Cups?

I haven't been playing it for a couple of years, but you don't see Cups in Football Manager (the most immersive game i know), same for the stadiums.

The stadium editor: what i've heard is that Konami removed the stadium editor because they feared that EA would see that as circumventing the exclusive licenses they have and could have taken legal action. Very understandable imo.

My point in this thread is almost always the same.
I can understand that people complain about Konami, but they refuse to see the context of certain decisions and they are exagerating.
Most complaints (not yours) are one dimensional and will not help the cause for a better game.

We need more people like Matt who complains but sustains his complaints with video's and with logic.

Guys, do you have any idea who SI PINK BLACK and WILRIJK PW are?
These two teams are in the Other European Teams section...

Guys, do you have any idea who SI PINK BLACK and WILRIJK PW are?
These two teams are in the Other European Teams section...

SI Pink Black - SSD Palermo (They are in because they got relegated to Division D so late)
Wilrijk PW - KFCO Beerschot Wilrijk (They are in because Mechelen got the permission for the first league so late)

SI Pink Black - SSD Palermo (They are in because they got relegated to Division D so late)
Wilrijk PW - KFCO Beerschot Wilrijk (They are in because Mechelen got the permission for the first league so late)
Thank You!

I hope there will be as many Bundesliga players available in the different national teams as possible.

I've always wondered why Konami don't increase the number of players of some licensed national team from 23 to 30. Imagine the German national team with 30 players instead of just 23, that would mean 7 more Bundesliga players, almost a starting eleven. For example, they could include some recent call-ups.

BTW do we know what happens with the Bundesliga license Konami has for their mobile management game? Will we be able to use the stats of the players for console editing?

They only got kicked out in early July (I say only).

Still, two additional teams to overwrite in Other European Teams.
So Konamis way was to remove them from the D2 and in to other European teams?
Still weird,should have been left our completely or replaced by some other low rated European team IMO

I'm usually one to trash Konami. But you can't tell me they were lazy this year.
Lots of changes all around. Big, medium and small changes and tweaks. For all tastes.

I might end up hating the game already by November, but I would like to say this now (hoping that you guys quote me on this if I ever turned back on these words): Konami have shown interest and progressed in areas that hadn't been touched for the past 5 to 7 years. And I think some of you are being unfair this time.

I'm not talking about those who have genuine complaints about gameplay. Because, that's is fine. It's reasonable even. I see your posts and read them and even when I don't agree with certain negative comments, I can totally understand your complaints and frustration.
But if there's one thing we must see and be able to recognize this year is that they worked harder on licenses, they worked harder on presentation (even if it's not 100% innovative or mind blowing), they worked harder on game modes (again, even if still not at the-other-game's level of game modes).

They even changed the "KONAMI" screen at the beginning. It used to be a white screen with red text for many many years. This year it's the opposite.

To me, it's clear that Konami wanted to prove something with PES 2020.

With the addition of so many national teams from Europe (got 50 out of the 55 members now) is it safe the say the database issues that saw some D2 leagues dropped last year are gone for good?

Would be nice to have more nations in general to be honest, can't even play and old format AFCON due to lack of African nations in PES. Or just the ability to add in a nation... I'm going off on a tangent, sorry. :D

Can anyone explain to me how stadium editor is a risk in terms of copyrights?
I must admit - havent spent much time in there and dont even remember how it looked.
But my question is - what stadium editor has to do with licensed stadiums and how is it different from editing kits?
You have tools and you create your own content. You can build something that resembles real stadium or something completely new. Same as kits. Same as banners. Same as player editor.
How is it different?

Noticed this comparison earlier today.

View attachment 18804

Whoo hoo! It's about time too, hopefully we can play qualifiers now and have like 6 team groups etc with all these new teams.

As most have said, be interesting to see how much 'personality' the smaller teams teams have, particularly the likes of Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg etc

Probably all as good as an all time Brazilian eleven as you go up the game levels :P

Be very interesting to play as one of them and see how far you can get. At last, we have a challenge and something to try and achieve, maybe I won't be finished with this ePES 2020 after a month like I have been with the last 2 or 3, and definitely as I was with 19.

Bring it on, let's hope for more announcements soon about other stuff.

I must admit - havent spent much time in there and dont even remember how it looked.
But my question is - what stadium editor has to do with licensed stadiums and how is it different from editing kits?
You have tools and you create your own content. You can build something that resembles real stadium or something completely new. Same as kits. Same as banners. Same as player editor.
How is it different?
Prob best asking Adam Bhatti he'd be more clued up on licensing issues regarding PES although he might not be allowed to speak publicly about it. EA were trying to put a stop to Option Files a couple of years back if i remember right. Licensing is a total minefield.

How is it different?

From what I remember, it might have had to do with the face that the "base" models of that stadium editor looked like other stadiums and therefore you "theoretically" could build a stadium that looks exactly like it's real life counterpart (and that might be illegal).

Some rumours back then also said that it might have had to do with EA, as we went from PES 2013 having a stadium editor and all La Liga stadiums (unlike EA without making the whole league "exclusive" to their game), to PES 2014 having not a single Spanish stadium. It wasn't like EA added new Spanish stadiums to their game, the first time they actually added new Spanish stadiums was in this year's FIFA (except for Metropolitano as it replaced Calderon in 2018).

I really think EA was behind it, because you can't tell me it's normal PES goes from all stadiums to not a single one in just 1 year (when they used to have Spanish stadiums all the time in the previous versions). In the end, we could see that it was EA's plan after exclusively signing La Liga in FIFA 17 (and again, not do anything with it until this year).

When it comes to custom chants and music, it was still possible in the newer PES games on PS3 (it was also possible with FIFA on PS3 until FIFA 15), so that has to do with the restrictions Sony and Microsoft put on their consoles nowadays. It is a damn shame, because on PC we can mod it (luckily we have some pro's doing it), but on console we can't. And with that function we could enjoy the game much more back on the PS3.

Last edited:
Konami have shown interest and progressed in areas that hadn't been touched for the past 5 to 7 years. And I think some of you are being unfair this time.
100% agree with your post there.
I see issues, but I also see the effort.
And they definetely made an effort this year.

Sometimes (and I apologise for slight OT and comparison) it seems to me like we treat Pes similar to the way some parents have higher expectations towards one child. No matter what he does - they expect more. You should be better, you have potential to be better, I was expecting more, 10 years ago I thought you will conquer the world..
And then there is the other kid, bit of a waster, also does bare minimum, but he was always a bit of a black sheep, so we they dont expect too much and accept him with all his flaws. :LOL:
Im laughing while typing this, but I honestly dont think we are treating them both equally.

I Seriously think the Japanese just do not understand the westernised game of football that well, and lots of things are lost in translation, or just lost in totality.
Seriously? You're overdoing it here, pinning it on the Japanese viewpoint. Isn't EA the same, being a westerner? Don't they cater only to the online crowd too? EA is even more microtransaction based, let's not do this Japanese and Western comparison thing.

Have they said anything about the stadiums for Euro 2020?

Presumably Wembley will have to included... right?!

i miss chant importer more than anything in pes lol. wish it could come back somehow but not sure ps4 allow music files to be imported.

Have they said anything about the stadiums for Euro 2020?

Presumably Wembley will have to included... right?!

Well there's 3 group games and 2 quarters or last 16 ties to be played at Hampden Park, and the rest are spread across Europe, so I would hope they would have all the stads that are hosting the groups and the knockouts.

Wembley I think is where the final will be played, or is it in Paris, can't remember, but you'd think they would have the 6 or so stads that will be used in the finals. It's not really a lot so it can be done, and they probably have some of them in the game already.

Pretty stunned by how much european teams they have now. Its such a big change compared to last year and all the years before. Expected nothing because of even what european teams were added with the EURO 2016 license (Really not much couldnt play lots of qualifying matches) But they nailed this one in terms of getting the teams! Huge upgrade

I made this comparison because I really wanted to know how big the change was in perspective and it was crazier then I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom