eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh,

at first I also thought....what the hell? Why didn´t he just try to head it away?

But then suddenly that Roberto Carlos move came to my mind, I just didn´t remember what worldcup that was and who they played against, so thx to @Bonano :)
I remember that, because I was so mad at Carlos and memorize how the commentator went crazy and was like "wtf did Carlos do there??".

So you see....illogical moves/decisions are part of real football either^^.

Still...that goal (full manual) felt awesome!

Yeah, I'm danish so I remember that Roberto Lacos bicykle kick very well and of course the goal and celebration by Brian Laudrup, and the whole match in itself was epic even though we lost:GSCARF:

It just came to my mind instantly when the other user (was it Sabac Red?) said something like "no defender would ever do that".

I can't wait to get the full game!
I still stand by what I said a few weeks ago though. I'm not buying it until enough of you people (specially some key ones) tell me they've not sped up the pace, or removed the error in shooting, passing, etc.
If it's at least 85% like the demo, then I'll buy it.
But I haven't been this anxious towards getting a football game for a long time.
I reckon you'll be fine mate, they won't mess with this too much - too many people love the demo. The good thing with the PES crowd and community is that they play this game in the first place to get away from FIFA's ridiculous fast pace etc.

I just wish more people would moan to @officialPES about the shooting but I'm in the minority, most like it.

I think the deal with stadiums is that Konami are afraid of half arsing them. They want to go out and monitor the weather at the actual grounds and get the entrance tunnels right for the aforementioned bells and whistles crowd. The results are fantastic, but unfortunately I think the policy will carry on meaning only a couple of stadiums being added in data packs.

Has there been any confirmation of the new UEFA national teams being in from the start? Are we certain they won't arrive with that data pack in ''Q2 2020'', whenever that may be?

I reckon you'll be fine mate, they won't mess with this too much - too many people love the demo. The good thing with the PES crowd and community is that they play this game in the first place to get away from FIFA's ridiculous fast pace etc.

I just wish more people would moan to @officialPES about the shooting but I'm in the minority, most like it.

Fingers crossed :D

:LOL: :LOL:
You gotta love this community!

Im still holding on to my theory, that AI is different as a result of user playing differently.
You are forced to slow down. You know that you need to be on the ball and that you need to keep your team in shape, as its not gonna be as easy and as automated to create chances. You dont press as much, try not to leave gaps.
As a result AI doesnt have such an easy task to hit you with a quick counter. They are also forced to slow down and have some build up to look for openings. Game becomes slower, more focused and more realistic.
You can sort of see the user impact on the game once AI hit you with a goal or two and you find yourself under pressure.
Once I start "panicking" and trying to be quicker and more ping-pongy - I leave gaps and AI is becoming more frantic as well.
Hence I said PA0 is just a tool to adjust yourself, which at the end will change the game.
I know that, in theory, its possible to play the same way on PA1 - slow down, keep the shape, look for openings... but its much harder to stick to it, coz on PA1 you dont have to do it. Its easy to ping pong around and you are rarely being punished with a bad pass. PA0 will keep you on your toes the whole time.

Ps. What you did, with duck taping L2, is probably much more difficult way to play than having PA0. Coz PA0 still has some assist, whereas you were on your own.

Hard to make a full assessment with 5 minute matches & limited teams but I'd say it's much improved compared to the absolute dross of the last 2 years. I don't feel like I'm being cheated & the A.i are definitely more humanised with their attacking. There doesn't seem to be a go to exploit they'll attempt every time they attack which always results in a goal.

It can definitely be improved but I've had some matches in the demo where I've completely forgotten I was playing the A.i.
That can only be a good thing IMO.

Sums it up for me and where I sit...I even really like the shooting..Emroth..I love your theory(thumbs up).

Last edited:

Well the shooting only changed in our favour since 2019 and 2020, after all the moaning from 2015. Worth it? Maybe? Kinda? Not the right time to give up i guess.

I don't think I've ever seen so much variety in shooting, in animations and in the possible outcomes, in previous PES as in this one. I really like it. Saw some very odd deflections which I loved.
So yeah, it was totally worth it. I can see this game going forward now. This is the starting point. From this we can grow.

I don't think I've ever seen so much variety in shooting, in animations and in the possible outcomes, in previous PES as in this one. I really like it. Saw some very odd deflections which I loved.
So yeah, it was totally worth it. I can see this game going forward now. This is the starting point. From this we can grow.
If (wrote this in the FIFA 20 forum feel free to remove if inappropriate) it does,maybe they will lead the way with other football games (you know which) to be a bit more ballsy to?
A win/win instead of a lose/lose situation!

Will Konami have this on their licenced Serie A kits ?
(Translation Quagliarella will have this badge on his jersey since he was the Capo Canonieri/top scorer last season)
Any takers?

I have no words to describe the feelings I am having with this demo...gameplay has taken such a HUGE step forward that honestly, this PES 2020 feels like a dream come true...those who say this ios PES 19.5 don't have a clue, I never thought the game would be improved so drastically.I am 100% sold

The ball is more alive and real than ever and shooting is 200% better, I have scored incredible goals from far outside the area that were impossible on PES 19.Graphics are absolutely gorgeous and with the mods of this incredible community we can only dream......

If (wrote this in the FIFA 20 forum feel free to remove if inappropriate) it does,maybe they will lead the way with other football games (you know which) to be a bit more ballsy to?
A win/win instead

I agree.
Specially considering it's been a lose-lose situation for the past 3 years.
FIFA and PES are like Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi. One is strong and keeps building itself without making any radical changes to his style, without adding new stuff to his game. The other is self-made, improving slowly and adding new stuff, in different positions. But one thing is for sure, they need each other. What one does, the other one tries to do better in the next game or in the next season.

I agree.
Specially considering it's been a lose-lose situation for the past 3 years.
FIFA and PES are like Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi. One is strong and keeps building itself without making any radical changes to his style, without adding new stuff to his game. The other is self-made, improving slowly and adding new stuff, in different positions. But one thing is for sure, they need each other. What one does, the other one tries to do better in the next game or in the next season.
Yes they need each other (games+dudes) to push each other,I'm terrified if Pes goes the FIFA way with a massive myclub and/or a street mode,that will end it's ambition to evolve as a offline career game.
Fingers crossed Konami puts out a great game and puts pressure on FIFA's career mode,or most importantly it's gameplay.
It's needed

Interesting.
No Serie B licence and no licence for Brescia.
Also, they've included Palermo with fake players in Other European Teams as well as a Belgian team (Wilrijk PW) with fake players. Any ideas who the Belgian team should be?

The Belgian team is Beerschot.
They've included that team because of doubts which team would be the 16th team in 1A (fistdivision of the Jupiler League).
Mechelen won the 1B (second division) last season aswell as the Belgian Cup.
But Mechelen is accused of match fixing in the season before last season (when they were relegated from the fist division).
The Belgian FA claims that the match fixing of Mechelen is proven. So they sanctioned them: no European football as Cup winners, excluded from the cup competition this season. No promotion and a points deduction in the second division. Instead of them the second would promote: Beerschot.

But Mechelen appealed before the BAS (Belgian TAS) and the sanction was changed.
Mechelen starts in the first division (they are currently leaders) and Beerschot stays in the second division. Stangely the exclusion of Mechelen from both the Belgian Cup and the Euro League has not changed (although the match fixing concernded one match in the Jupiler League).

I'm a season ticket holder at Mechelen (3 miles away from our house) but even i am a certain that one person of the board tried to fix a match in order to avoid relegation...

But no, they’ll buy the rights to a pointless Thai license instead and do nothing with it. And I don’t mean to sound xenophobic here, I’m actually the complete opposite. But know your fanbase and know what’s popular. And love it or hate it, as things stand, Premier League football is BIG business and watched all over the world.

You are sounding slightly xenophobic. PES is very popular in Asia and so the Thai license is far from pointless…
Last year i was over the moon that Konami had the license for the Belgian competition while most English people don't care about that competition.

And yes Premier League is big business, that is the problem for Konami...

About a boycot (post Chris Davies).
I can see where Chris coming from. Konami could make more genric stadiums an be quicker with DLC.

But a boycot?

That would be foolish, imo (sorry Chris).

What is the problem of Konami? At the base of the problem is the lack of licenses. Because there are not enough licenses thousands of people prefer FIFA. AN example: yesterday my 16 year old son and my 19 year (football crazy) daughter said that 'this year PES is much better than FIFA, but we want 'real teams and leagues' like in Fifa' (i was very surprised, normally they are mocking me because i play PES, 'here is my father, he likes to game but he still plays PES').

As long as PES sells badly in Western Europe, fat chance they will acquire licenses...so a boycot would be a disaster (even it would be a boycot for only a short time).

This why I don't get the people that post about "I preordered" - that's not something to boast about...I get you're excited about the new release but come on! Every year you get rinsed by this game on shackles, that we need to unshackle, and you/we still pre-order.

In all fairness this is probably the best and FINAL year/opportunity to instill some sort of meaningful changes because the whole cycle of hope/hype begins with a new gen next year.

The shutting down of numerous pes forums to leave this more independently-opinionated forum works in favour of the consumer/gamer and this opportunity really should not be wasted.

You won't get successful boycott cos ppl are entitled to enjoy (and dispose of) the game the way they see fit.

Just don't preorder it!!!!

You won't be able to boycott because there is an army of kids that doesn't care about your raffinate discussion on realism and offline careers and will just be content with CR7 waving his arms correctly. The bunch of people that preorders here has very little to do with the current state of things.

Unfortunately that´s true.

And there are thousands of kids out there crazy for myclub, so there will be alot of preorders as usual.
Social media is full of pics of myclub squads.

I also have to say I´m having a lot of fun with the demo and I really hope they won´t break anything.
At this point, I even wouldn´t bother about a gameplay patch, even Inca, Amartingil etc. are doing a great work on that.
In my personal opinion - apart from AI behaviour - the gameplay in terms of physics and animations is taking big steps forward each year from 2017 on.
(PES 2014 already had a great base, but personally I felt, that PES 2015 and 2016 been two steps back).

If you record a gameplay situation off screen and post a gif of it somewhere, like I did a couple of pages back, you sometimes can´t differ that from a real broadcast match.

If they keep it going like this, we soon might have a rush football-like gameplay.

So I was testing shooting from distance most of yesterdays evening. Switched to Beginner and was basically hammering the ball from all sorts of angles, on all settings.
No doubt there is much more variety overall, than it was in Pes19.

Question to Advanced Shooting users.
Do you not think top bins shots on Advanced are a bit too "floaty" this year? Its nearly impossible to hit a strong one towards top corners from outside the box.
Most of what I had were floaty, off target ones. It was regardless if I used good or average player. Up to a point it felt unnatural.
Am I doing something wrong there?
I couldnt really put any power into them.
It was especially noticable when I switched to Basic. Instantly shots from distance were much more powerful and packed a punch.

Edit:
I dont get this boycott talk at all.
There is a clear step up in most departments in compare to Pes19.
They fixed a lot of issues and brought a lot of new things to the game - much more than they usually do from year to year.
On the flip side - Other game looks exactly the same as last year.
Do you not think that boycott talk is a bit unfair? Why not boycott the other game for pissing on all the football loving people and developing the game to please certain people only?

Last edited:
You are sounding slightly xenophobic. PES is very popular in Asia and so the Thai license is far from pointless…
Last year i was over the moon that Konami had the license for the Belgian competition while most English people don't care about that competition.

And yes Premier League is big business, that is the problem for Konami...
I don't mean to sound xenophobic, so apologies. I travelled for a year across Thailand and have many friends there who I speak to every day.

I just think that Konami need to focus on the Western market more and I don't mean licenses. I mean they need to give us MORE editing options so we can have chants, create stadia (or give us MORE generic stadia that looks like St James Park, KCOM Stadium, Riverside etc) instead of having to play at these immersion breaking arenas like the Neu Sonne Arena etc. It's soul destroying.

I can't wait to get the full game!
I still stand by what I said a few weeks ago though. I'm not buying it until enough of you people (specially some key ones) tell me they've not sped up the pace, or removed the error in shooting, passing, etc.
If it's at least 85% like the demo, then I'll buy it.
But I haven't been this anxious towards getting a football game for a long time.
The King Is Back! :APPLAUD:Feels weird to be this excited about a football game again! PES great again and COD looking very good as well. A strange year in gaming who seen this coming? If only Ubi could of made a proper Ghost Recon instead of that Breakpoint nonsense. Oh well 2/3 aint bad. Roll on the 10th of Sept and no more 5 mins matches!

What is the problem of Konami? At the base of the problem is the lack of licenses. Because there are not enough licenses thousands of people prefer FIFA. AN example: yesterday my 16 year old son and my 19 year (football crazy) daughter said that 'this year PES is much better than FIFA, but we want 'real teams and leagues' like in Fifa' (i was very surprised, normally they are mocking me because i play PES, 'here is my father, he likes to game but he still plays PES').

The problem with Konami is they do the bare minimum each year and are too hung up on pleasing the online crowd with faces and tattoos than they are paying attention to the basics.
I Seriously think the Japanese just do not understand the westernised game of football that well, and lots of things are lost in translation, or just lost in totality.

A whole year plus to basically add a new camera angle (which was in the old PES's then mysteriously removed over the years for no reason like so much other stuff), add some new animations, and change the colour scheme of the menus?

Just a few things spring to mind on the subject of lack of attention to basics:

- No visible trophy when you win the english league or cup, just an empty space where the trophy should be
- innaccurate and repetitive commentary year after year
- No matchday atmosphere, just a wall of sound that rises and falls, no chants, no songs, no club specific chants
- Attain licenses and do nothing with them, no adboards, no presentation graphics, nothing.
- Lack of stadiums, playing ML as a championship side in a euro bowl style 60,000 capacity stadium is an immersion killer.
- Why remove stadium editor after one year? the assets could have easily been porte to the new fox engine back in 2013, or a new creator made
- Way too slow with any DLC content, last year selling pre-orders on the back of Celtic and Rangers and a Licensed SPL, then having to wait 7 months for Ibrox and Celtic Park.
- Community figure, way too defensive, only like ass kissers and cant take any criticism even when fed back in a polite constructive way.

I could go on .....

PES 20 might better than PES 19, IMO PES19 was dire, but lets wait until release and see if the day one patrch does what we all expect it to, removes shot/pass error, increases pace, removes fouls, basically what they do every yyear, panic and hit the big red 'Lets make it safe for Online' button.

Absolutely no confidence or faith in PES Productions as a developer, years of lies, false promises and stripping half the game away has seen to that.

If PES 20 releases, and after the patch, plays as good as the demo then it will be a big surprise.

I think the deal with stadiums is that Konami are afraid of half arsing them. They want to go out and monitor the weather at the actual grounds and get the entrance tunnels right for the aforementioned bells and whistles crowd. The results are fantastic, but unfortunately I think the policy will carry on meaning only a couple of stadiums being added in data packs.

Has there been any confirmation of the new UEFA national teams being in from the start? Are we certain they won't arrive with that data pack in ''Q2 2020'', whenever that may be?

All 50 European NT will be released from day 1 so basically the Europe section is expanded compared to PES 2019.
Also interesting in terms of gameplay: Will we see Luxembourg etc. Play tiki taka like Barcelona, which is the case of those lowrated teams in Pes 2019?

Also interesting in terms of gameplay: Will we see Luxembourg etc. Play tiki taka like Barcelona, which is the case of those lowrated teams in Pes 2019?
I think the demo shows this doesn't happen any more. As @Ameppe has rightly said in the past month or so, it was immediately apparent in the PES 2019 demo that this still happened.

I've not seen anything like this in the 2020 demo.

So I don't think we have to worry about this any more (it will be interesting to see if the Master League changes this, but, if it was painfully obvious in the 2019 demo, and is now completely absent in the 2020 demo, I'm pretty confident it's gone now).

However, what I *am* seeing is every single AI team playing the same painfully basic / stupid "pass forwards in straight lines only" football, without build-up play - so IMO the problem has just been swapped for a different problem, rather than being "solved". Just my opinion!

This happens in every match I've played against Superstar AI, against every team, but I've been told it's "the way I play" - despite the match below (the video I've uploaded) not being a match I played, but a match another Evo-Webber played, that I've just scribbled over the top of...

The only thing that changes is whether the straight passes are through the middle or down the wing, depending on the team's tactics. No build-up, barely any passing sideways or backwards (only when it is the absolute last resort). I find it really boring to play the AI. Again, just my opinion.

I’d happily play the demo all year with 10 minute halves.Limited teams and only two stadiums.

Boycotting this off the back of limited licenses and content would only be doing myself a disservice.I can pick pes up for 15 quid cheaper then it’s competitor(boxed copy 34 quid on shopto).

The premiership and unlicensed league’s will be edited to near perfection by the community on the PS4 and PC.So it’s all good.

Content and cosmetics are nice and always a bonus..But it wears pretty thin and quickly if the gameplay is limited,repetitive and samey.

Back in the day we were spending 50 quid plus on carts with one league and a limited amount of international teams.

Pes has never sold more then 6 million copies and it never will..Nor will it ever outsell it’s competitor.Licensing has always been the other games biggest selling point(irrespective of gameplay).

I can't believe why Konami removed so many functions in Edit mode. In PES 2013 on ps3, not only could be create our own stadiums, but we could also import own chants into the game that improved the atmosphere a lot.

Since Konami can't compete with EA on licenses, why on earth don't they invest more money into Edit mode??

I’d happily play the demo all year with 10 minute halves.Limited teams and only two stadiums.
This is where I think the fanbase has become divided over the years, if you like.

I couldn't play this demo with 10 min halves for a year. Nothing to play for, no career, no meaningful outcome or sense of acomplishment.

I see a lot of PES guys on twitter happy with faces and celebrations. It's enough for them because they love the gameplay as well, which is great (I envy them.)

Personally, I need the package. I need an in-depth Career Mode, different stadia to play at, stuff to do. I could have played the PES 3 demo all year round, probably. But I was younger then, times were different.

And for me, PES flatters to deceive on that front, year in, year out. There's not package as such. There's a game which you can play over and over again. But it's all so stale and repetitive now. Liceneses feel half arsed. Hell, everything feels half arsed. PES 2020 feels archaic, to me. The transition between play and a cutscene. Having to press that Options Button each and every time, a 100 times a game.

There's so much wrong with PES still I could be here all day, I'd write essays on it. The gameplay is better now, definitly. But how long has that taken to get right? And when will we see a deeper package, a more engrossing career mode included? In 20 years? 30?

I just don't trust Konami at all anymore. And this is from someone who was a diehard PES fanboy when I was younger, I'd laugh at you if you suggested a FIFA game for my football gaming fix. Yes, I was childish and fanboys are silly. But you get my drift.

Absolutely 100000000% bang on @Mikhail
Every year, it feels as if Konami do the bare minimum, as long as MyClub works its fine to them, its never a fully finished, solid overall package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom