eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree with most of the review, to say the games regressed is just not the way I see it, 18 and 19 regressed this has stepped back up.. Its all good though just don't buy it.. In fact if I didn't like it that much I wouldn't waste my time reviewing it unless it was my job and I had to

Is it me or is the ai dribbling too much?

I’m only on professional but the ai keeps on dribbling towards me and forget to pass.
They almost walk right into me and make it easy for me to take the ball.

I’m only on professional but the ai keeps on dribbling towards me and forget to pass.
I think that's just the difficulty you're playing it on mate.
Sounds like it's time to whack it up a notch!

the headers are contextual, you only get power if you are positioned that way when you receive the pass.

My player is well orientated, but never hits the ball with his head with power!!!!, do you keep the square pressed for a while before heading? or you just do a quick tap on the square button before heading

I agree, I've robbed the backline so many times. I played professional on 2019 but think it will have to be top-player on 2020.

Won my first penalty today doing a shot-feint! Very nice to see!

Better stadium atmosphere anyone?!
I just added the following to my PES playlist in Spotify and played it while rocking the demo. Guys!! Try it!! It is just brilliant!!! Little thing that adds so much!!

https://open.spotify.com/track/6gbpf7n81m3f5SjZxsRrL0?context=spotify:artist:3JlE91C90dhqu2RBciGD5U&si=ARPSvXJwR9KsoAsap5bFag

This is perfect for SA teams!! Give it a try. Enter your Spotify app. Search for the football chants. Add them to a playlist. On PS4 press and hold the PS button, select music, scroll down, select chants from playlist. Close the menu. Enjoy. :D

Edit: real quick video to showcase. I hope the sound is enough to get it.

Last edited:
Love this animation by the goalkeeper and striker(AI). He retracted his foot as soon as he knew that he wont make the shot

I'm glad you've posted that because the same things is bothering me. Below, which is single player, you can see that I totally dominated Barca in possession (on Superstar) but it translated to few actual chances and goals. This has been a worrying occurrence for me, though not always (the game after was more even, finishing 2-1 me).

I think there's two issues at play. One is that the CPU isn't nearly good enough at retaining possession as they should be. Has anyone had an experience yet against Barca where they pushed you back into your final third and dominated possession with tiki taka that created chances? I've not seen it happen once.

The second issue though is that there's almost like two different games going on, with different difficulty levels. For me, I find the middle of the park way too easy to maintain possession and build up play. But then when I hit the final third, it's like hitting a wall and I struggle super hard to make clear chances. I also find defending in the final third to be fairly easy, so the CPU isn't creating chances either.

So I regularly end up dominating games but there's few goals, for both me and the opposition. Not saying this is every game but it's kinda worrying how frequent it is, and I think this is probably why many people have called the game dull on social media.

67801478_10102550681365965_8665251954546442240_o.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-6_12-53-37.png
    upload_2019-8-6_12-53-37.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
the game is familiar, fundamentally. but 3 three things that have stood out to me are:

- i enjoy scoring in this pes more than other fox engine pes'. i think it's the slower pace and build up plays a part
- shot error is still way, way too low. I hit 3 perfect contact overhead kicks in a single match...
- body collison system/animations is way messed up. players fumble around over slight touches constantly which results in you losing control constantly over small things. air balls seems weirdly uncontested aswell like the players just stand still and wait, unless im missing something.

I've played 10+ish online full manual games. verdict: same old same old, but slightly better.

Nope, def not just you. I think at least 80 percent of my goals scored have come from taking the ball in the CPU's side of the pitch and scoring off a quick counter attack move.

I don't think it's that they're dribbling too much though. In fact, I'd love to see more of the CPU taking me on. But they def get caught in possession too easily.

the game is familiar, fundamentally. but 3 three things that have stood out to me are:

- i enjoy scoring in this pes more than other fox engine pes'. i think it's the slower pace and build up plays a part
- shot error is still way, way too low. I hit 3 perfect contact overhead kicks in a single match...
- body collison system/animations is way messed up. players fumble around over slight touches constantly which results in you losing control constantly over small things. air balls seems weirdly uncontested aswell like the players just stand still and wait, unless im missing something.

I've played 10+ish online full manual games. verdict: same old same old, but slightly better.
3 perfect overhead kicks in the one match, Is this an online thing? I've hit a few overheads and none have connected perfectly only scissor kicks. Sounds like this could be a major flaw to the online side of things.

3 perfect overhead kicks in the one match, Is this an online thing? I've hit a few overheads and none have connected perfectly only scissor kicks. Sounds like this could be a major flaw to the online side of things.
I think it's because of manual shooting rather than being online. From the manual games I've played, pretty much every shot is an absolute rocket...

Basic shooting seems to have a lot more error/mishits and it's been this way since at least PES 2018. If you're good at aiming on manual shooting then it's actually easier to score than on any other setting because of how perfectly everything is hit.

I've almost had a few screamers with Fred in the demo by pinging corners to him outside the box to volley...

I think it's because of manual shooting rather than being online. From the manual games I've played, pretty much every shot is an absolute rocket...

Basic shooting seems to have a lot more error/mishits and it's been this way since at least PES 2018. If you're good at aiming on manual shooting then it's actually easier to score than on any other setting because of how perfectly everything is hit.

I've almost had a few screamers with Fred in the demo by pinging corners to him outside the box to volley...
Will need to give manual a shot later tonight. If manual does have alot less outcomes hopefully its something that can be sorted for you guys but i guess the problem is stats v manual. Start hitting miss shots no where near where aimed and alot of manual players will be saying it's not manual and stats are taking control?

Will need to give manual a shot later tonight. If manual does have alot less outcomes hopefully its something that can be sorted for you guys but i guess the problem is stats v manual. Start hitting miss shots no where near where aimed and alot of manual players will be saying it's not manual and stats are taking control?
I think stats should have much more impact on manual, the two don't need to be mutually exclusive (manual control vs shot/pass error).

There are still some differences with manual shots - mostly the shot power meaning you're much more likely to score from long range with e.g. Pogba, Ronaldo etc. There's also the "dipping shot", "rising shot", "outside curler", "acrobatic finishing" player traits which affect the trajectories and animations available to them.

Not sure if the "first-time shot" and "long range shooting" traits makes them more effective or if this just applies to how they behave under CPU control.

seems like the only ones who dislike 2020 are "pro gamers" and people that loved 2015-2019. no offence but to me this is a very positive sign. just hope they don't try and compropmise to keep the arcade lovers happy :PRAY:

I loved 2015, 2017 on PC and 2019

2016 had issues, was too scripted and physics disappeared at times. Along with piss poor formations.

2018 was good eventually, started very, very poorly.

I love PES 2020, i don't really want much changed bar the biggest issue which must be changed which is responsiveness is rather broken. These 'Pro' players who aren't happy can lump it for all i care, they will adapt anyway which is what pros are supposed to do.

Seems Konami are happy with the feedback and the majority seem to like it the way it is. We have to be be careful now as a community, i bring you back to PES 2015-2017 but PES 2016 specifically. I really liked that demo, it was quality then the full game came out and everything fell apart. this was because of the Sidemen and those people giving nonsense feedback because they got early playtests. With us at PES Universe, you have PES people ho love the game who will pass all your feedback to konami as i have already seen.

We want the future to be built for PES people.

Better stadium atmosphere anyone?!
I just added the following to my PES playlist in Spotify and played it while rocking the demo. Guys!! Try it!! It is just brilliant!!! Little thing that adds so much!!

https://open.spotify.com/track/6gbpf7n81m3f5SjZxsRrL0?context=spotify:artist:3JlE91C90dhqu2RBciGD5U&si=ARPSvXJwR9KsoAsap5bFag

This is perfect for SA teams!! Give it a try. Enter your Spotify app. Swatch for the football chants. Add then to a playlist. On PS4 press and hold the PS button, select music, scroll down, select chants from playlist. Close the menu. Enjoy. :D

Edit: real quick video to showcase. I hope the sound is enough to get it.

This is actually a really clever idea :D

On a different note, I'd just like to say that the tactics in PES 2020 are shit. They're really, REALLY shit. I know that's nothing new, they have been shit in PES for a while now, but my god they are utterly rubbish. I played a number of games in coach mode so I could make changes and see what changes it makes to the AI, and half of them do absolutely nothing!

Certain fullbacks like Roberto at Barca will NOT stay back unless you use one of your advanced tactics and put 'Defensive' on him. Literally, nothing else will work. No amount of tinkering to his position, attacking style, defensive line, advanced tactics, all this stuff can keep him defending.

Honestly, these team & advanced tactics need to be scrapped completely and replaced with individual instructions for each player. There is NO REASON why only two players can be assigned 'Anchoring'. There is NO REASON why you can only have 2 players assigned 'Defending'. There is NO REASON why you can't sign just one of your wingers to play 'false wingers', it's either both of them or neither of them. You don't need to go over the board and make it like Football Manager, but PES needs something like this, and it needs it ASAP.
upload_2019-8-6_20-52-19.png

For a game that plays so smooth, and the passing is so nice, I feel like it's let down by the horrible tactical options. If you want to have a lone striker who makes unselfish runs you have to use 'Wing Rotation'. The problem with this is that they'll run to the wings every damn time, even when the space is in the middle.

Scrap this utterly pathetic 2 'advanced instructions', instead do something like Fifa and let every single player on the pitch be given individual instructions.

The game would be so, so much better for it.

I've posted this picture before, but this system from 13 years ago had a much more profound effect than PES's horrendous tactics options now. I mean look at that striker, it's 2020 and you can't make your player make runs like that automatically, yet angled runs are absolutely vital in football.
100622734.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad you've posted that because the same things is bothering me. Below, which is single player, you can see that I totally dominated Barca in possession (on Superstar) but it translated to few actual chances and goals. This has been a worrying occurrence for me, though not always (the game after was more even, finishing 2-1 me).

I think there's two issues at play. One is that the CPU isn't nearly good enough at retaining possession as they should be. Has anyone had an experience yet against Barca where they pushed you back into your final third and dominated possession with tiki taka that created chances? I've not seen it happen once.

The second issue though is that there's almost like two different games going on, with different difficulty levels. For me, I find the middle of the park way too easy to maintain possession and build up play. But then when I hit the final third, it's like hitting a wall and I struggle super hard to make clear chances. I also find defending in the final third to be fairly easy, so the CPU isn't creating chances either.

So I regularly end up dominating games but there's few goals, for both me and the opposition. Not saying this is every game but it's kinda worrying how frequent it is, and I think this is probably why many people have called the game dull on social media.

CPU needs to be improved. It has to be more aware about keeping possesion and needs to be more agressive in defense.
I noticied that playing as outside team, AI seems more agressive but I'm not sure if it was placebo, I need to test more.
I want to test it playing with a very low rated team as Colo Colo against a top team like Barça.

i don't really want much changed bar the biggest issue which must be changed which is responsiveness is rather broken.
Agree with most apart from this bit.
Unless our understanding of responsiveness is different.. the way I perceive responsiveness is time to complete animation and button input - response.
I think in order to bring responsiveness up they would have to trim animations or speed them up, which would have terrible impact on pace and smoothless.
I personally prefer "sim-responsiveness", as it is now.
Only one I struggle with are Advanced Through Balls, which on Pes20 seems to have neverending animations (and I usually lose the ball trying to perform them)
I, personally, have no responsiveness complaints otherwise.

I loved 2015, 2017 on PC and 2019

2016 had issues, was too scripted and physics disappeared at times. Along with piss poor formations.

2018 was good eventually, started very, very poorly.

I love PES 2020, i don't really want much changed bar the biggest issue which must be changed which is responsiveness is rather broken. These 'Pro' players who aren't happy can lump it for all i care, they will adapt anyway which is what pros are supposed to do.

Seems Konami are happy with the feedback and the majority seem to like it the way it is. We have to be be careful now as a community, i bring you back to PES 2015-2017 but PES 2016 specifically. I really liked that demo, it was quality then the full game came out and everything fell apart. this was because of the Sidemen and those people giving nonsense feedback because they got early playtests. With us at PES Universe, you have PES people ho love the game who will pass all your feedback to konami as i have already seen.

We want the future to be built for PES people.

I replayed 16 some time ago. Would have been a masterpiece if it wasn't for bugged super keepers and CPU unable to defend. It had some incredible smoothness and team personality, such a shame it feels like they kinda left the game half programmed and published it as good.

Ok. I have my final rather brief assessment of the demo.

Its again a continuation of my initial thoughts.

Pros.

- I love this game, i love the new controls, i love the added skill needed for R2, i love the ball physics are outstanding, i love the variety from the AI in attack, this is a landmark game and achievement from Konami. Last year they reached the gates of the promised land but couldn't be let in after a few patches, what followed was more of a ground level greeting with paperwork and a few annoyances with the game changing a lot with patches but providing a great football game.

This year we have gone upstairs to the next level of quality. The new physicality system has a large amount of depth to it even though it needs tweaking as some fouls are bullshits every now and again. You really feel the difference between players who can hold their man off along with the right stick on the ball, the difference between players skill using it is brilliantly done.

Cons.

- Despite how good the game is it has one very obvious but very serious problem which is....... well you guessed it!

RESPONSIVENESS!

Its awful! Its ok when your playing against someone online it's 'tolerable' against the AI but only because we are all so happy and wowed by all the new stuff and ball physics but if you want to see just how broken the responsiveness is please just try a CPU vs CPU match. They are really bad, shockingly bad. The AI just stands off and allows the other team to attack easily at will. They don't stand their ground and tackle, they back off and back off Green zone style like with the PES 2011 demo but maybe worse.

I'm very concerned about this, this seems to be in a state where they are unsure where to find the balance and i fear it will still be poor on release and we may need to wait until October until they sort it out or even longer.

This isn't just your team and the CPU off the ball, its also things like Step Overs using R2. It needs work, with a top player like Douglas Costa or Dembele again it's 'tolerable' but even with Mounche for Colo Colo who has Scissors Feint as a trait, its poor how unresponsive it is when you enter it. If your not at an angle the game recognizes the guy fails to do what you input. These moves shouldn't be hard to do yet you can do a rainbow flick by hammering R3? I can't see them making big changes now, only improve the responsiveness to these controls so its consistent.

- Also before i forget, something is very wrong with the lighting and contrast settings, whatever i try its way too high contrast.

Summary.

- The future is bright very bright but the immediate future is a concern. The first thing is sorting out the response issues and tidying up the dopiness of the AI. But when that is done although i'm happy with the current game speed, more responsiveness will speed the game up and i can see people getting their knickers in a twist if the gameplay seems faster.

The game will speed up on release regardless because all the animations will be finalized so the added smoothness will make the game faster. I do trust they will keep the structure the same its how the balance fleshes out if the responsiveness is sorted.

Ok. I have my final rather brief assessment of the demo.

Its again a continuation of my initial thoughts.

Pros.

- I love this game, i love the new controls, i love the added skill needed for R2, i love the ball physics are outstanding, i love the variety from the AI in attack, this is a landmark game and achievement from Konami. Last year they reached the gates of the promised land but couldn't be let in after a few patches, what followed was more of a ground level greeting with paperwork and a few annoyances with the game changing a lot with patches but providing a great football game.

This year we have gone upstairs to the next level of quality. The new physicality system has a large amount of depth to it even though it needs tweaking as some fouls are bullshits every now and again. You really feel the difference between players who can hold their man off along with the right stick on the ball, the difference between players skill using it is brilliantly done.

Cons.

- Despite how good the game is it has one very obvious but very serious problem which is....... well you guessed it!

RESPONSIVENESS!

Its awful! Its ok when your playing against someone online it's 'tolerable' against the AI but only because we are all so happy and wowed by all the new stuff and ball physics but if you want to see just how broken the responsiveness is please just try a CPU vs CPU match. They are really bad, shockingly bad. The AI just stands off and allows the other team to attack easily at will. They don't stand their ground and tackle, they back off and back off Green zone style like with the PES 2011 demo but maybe worse.

I'm very concerned about this, this seems to be in a state where they are unsure where to find the balance and i fear it will still be poor on release and we may need to wait until October until they sort it out or even longer.

This isn't just your team and the CPU off the ball, its also things like Step Overs using R2. It needs work, with a top player like Douglas Costa or Dembele again it's 'tolerable' but even with Mounche for Colo Colo who has Scissors Feint as a trait, its poor how unresponsive it is when you enter it. If your not at an angle the game recognizes the guy fails to do what you input. These moves shouldn't be hard to do yet you can do a rainbow flick by hammering R3? I can't see them making big changes now, only improve the responsiveness to these controls so its consistent.

- Also before i forget, something is very wrong with the lighting and contrast settings, whatever i try its way too high contrast.

Summary.

- The future is bright very bright but the immediate future is a concern. The first thing is sorting out the response issues and tidying up the dopiness of the AI. But when that is done although i'm happy with the current game speed, more responsiveness will speed the game up and i can see people getting their knickers in a twist if the gameplay seems faster.

The game will speed up on release regardless because all the animations will be finalized so the added smoothness will make the game faster. I do trust they will keep the structure the same its how the balance fleshes out if the responsiveness is sorted.
If it’s faster on final release I’ll just drop it down to -1, not an issue.

You’re PES Universe right? Can you give @official PES twitter account feedback and tell them that the diehards love this demo and not to f**k around with it too much? We’d really appreciate it :)

It’s the first PES since PES 2013 that myself and others are very excited about.

I dont enjoy playing against barca because its like the team is broken (single player). Way to easy to play against no matter what tactic/formation they use. The issue i have with the game is the passive AI when they are defending/off the ball especially when i'm passing the ball around in my half. It seems that barca takes it to another level.

On a different note, I'd just like to say that the tactics in PES 2020 are shit. They're really, REALLY shit. I know that's nothing new, they have been shit in PES for a while now, but my god they are utterly rubbish. I played a number of games in coach mode so I could make changes and see what changes it makes to the AI, and half of them do absolutely nothing!

Certain fullbacks like Roberto at Barca will NOT stay back unless you use one of your advanced tactics and put 'Defensive' on him. Literally, nothing else will work. No amount of tinkering to his position, attacking style, defensive line, advanced tactics, all this stuff can keep him defending.

Honestly, these team & advanced tactics need to be scrapped completely and replaced with individual instructions for each player. There is NO REASON why only two players can be assigned 'Anchoring'. There is NO REASON why you can only have 2 players assigned 'Defending'. There is NO REASON why you can't sign just one of your wingers to play 'false wingers', it's either both of them or neither of them. You don't need to go over the board and make it like Football Manager, but PES needs something like this, and it needs it ASAP.
View attachment 18209

For a game that plays so smooth, and the passing is so nice, I feel like it's let down by the horrible tactical options. If you want to have a lone striker who makes unselfish runs you have to use 'Wing Rotation'. The problem with this is that they'll run to the wings every damn time, even when the space is in the middle.

Scrap this utterly pathetic 2 'advanced instructions', instead do something like Fifa and let every single player on the pitch be given individual instructions.

The game would be so, so much better.

I've posted this picture before, but this system from 13 years ago had a much more profound effect than PES's horrendous tactics options now. I mean look at that striker, it's 2020 and you can't make your player make runs like that automatically, yet angled runs are absolutely vital in football.
100622734.jpg

Konami needs to see this ASAP. It's incredible how tactics have been pretty much the same since PES2015, actually, although they added some stuff since then, like advanced instructions, they also removed some stuff, like, in PES2015 you could set, in attack instructions and defense instructions: Attack with (many, medium or few) and Defend with (many, medium or few). They removed that for no reason, even though, at least to me, it was a feature that made sense, gave the game more tactical depth and increased team individuality. That's just one example of a great feature that was removed, if you consider the games before FOX, well, there's a lot more great stuff that just isn't in the gameplan screen anymore.

View attachment 18209

The game would be so, so much better.

100622734.jpg

Amen to this tactics related rant! :D There's player traits conflicting with advanced instructions all conflicting with the ATT/DEF level, it's chaos! It's actually a wonder the game works at all :LOL:

And while we're at it, for the love of god Konami make wingback a position again i.e. RWB & LWB and not a stupid advanced instruction... that's my yearly mini rant :RANT:

I wish Konami would be brave and tell the people complaining about fouls so much to stop mashing the X button and then link them to the defending tutorial :D

On another note, this is the first PES in years that I've enjoyed playing on "0" game speed, the past 4 or 5 PES's I've had to play on +1 to enjoy. Even though "0" is at a slower pace I feel it is quite responsive for me

Konami needs to see this ASAP. It's incredible how tactics have been pretty much the same since PES2015, actually, although they added some stuff since then, like advanced instructions, they also removed some stuff, like, in PES2015 you could set, in attack instructions and defense instructions: Attack with (many, medium or few) and Defend with (many, medium or few). They removed that for no reason, even though, at least to me, it was a feature that made sense, gave the game more tactical depth and increased team individuality. That's just one example of a great feature that was removed, if you consider the games before FOX, well, there's a lot more great stuff that just isn't in the gameplan screen anymore.
I think the idea of team tactics is a completely flawed idea anyway, and should just be removed entirely.

Teams tactics don't actually exist on their own, they're the combination of the players own individual instructions.

Counter attacking football doesn't just happen, it's because each player is told not to engage the opposition and let them come into your half, it's because the defenders are told to get the ball to the best deep lying passer in the team ASAP. It's because the passer is told to pass the ball up the pitch immediately if the pass is on, because the wingers are told to run into spaces the moment their team receives the ball. Etc, etc, etc.

Yes, by all means PES can still include ' possession', 'counter attacking' and whatever other styles they wish, but rather than just a broad instruction to the whole team, it should instead be a pre set of individual instructions that together creates counter attacking football which you could then tweak to your hearts content. Essentially, if you picked 'counter attacking' these kind of individual instructions all change to create that style of football.
upload_2019-8-6_22-10-22.png

The other problem is that there is no visual representation of what certain things will do, take the 'defensive line' slider for example -

If I set up my team using either of these two settings, could you tell me just by looking at them how the defenders are going to act on the pitch? (Besides from concede a lot of goals!)
upload_2019-8-6_21-57-59.pngupload_2019-8-6_21-58-57.png

upload_2019-8-6_22-0-34.pngupload_2019-8-6_22-1-10.png

The game shows where the defensive line will be, but how does that differ depending on where you place the players positionally? There's no correlation between the settings you choose and the position of the players. You're just left with nothing but guesswork and trial and error.

It can be summed up pretty easily with a 4 lettered word, that starts with S, ends in T, and it isn't 'soot'.

Last edited:
Amen to this tactics related rant! :D There's player traits conflicting with advanced instructions all conflicting with the ATT/DEF level, it's chaos! It's actually a wonder the game works at all :LOL:

And while we're at it, for the love of god Konami make wingback a position again i.e. RWB & LWB and not a stupid advanced instruction... that's my yearly mini rant :RANT:

It's ridiculous how they made Wing Back an advanced instruction, like, it's a position, that you have in the real game, but it's an advanced instruction in PES, like, let me set a player to that position in the standard gameplan screen like all of the others, having to have LMFs and RMFs alongside an advance instruction to get the effect i want makes no sense, especially when it's the only position where this is needed. You don't see any other positions get this treatment, imagine that: "If you want a second striker, you need to use the False 9 advanced instruction on a center foward", it makes no sense. They need to bring back the Sweeper/Libero position back too, no idea why they don't have that, not even as an advanced instruction, it's just not in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom