eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno man, I'm a Newcastle fan and last season we lost 1-0 against a team that we had like 25 shots against, it was ridiculous, I can't for the life of me remember what team it was, but these things happen sometimes. Sometimes goalkeepers have absolute blinders!
Especially De Gea who has saved Man Yoo on so many occasions!

Truly amazing stuff. I played Juventus on Superstar, Ronaldo all but shit for most of the match, so pissed off that he eventually hacks down Süle after the latter pulls and holds him to win the ball. Only gets a yellow and moves on to score the winner in the 87th minute, Juve bench exploding.

Felt like the second leg of a CL semi. Best thing was: I lost to a computer team, but it felt so plausible and dramatic, I had a smile on my face. Even envisioned the post match press clippings (German press: if Ronaldo would have rightfully gotten a red card... Italian press: CR7 destroys Bayern in another moment of absolute genius... British press: Ronaldo's rocket destroys German tanks).

I don't care what a former PES online champion wants. This is what I want and it's absolute class, despite of the few remaining annoyances.

What a terrible keeper animation in first goal. Keeper dive weird and stand on his line. Don’t like it. @Chris Davies what is incredible here?

The whole game hinges on the AI, for me. A five minute demo isn't enough to really judge it (I'm not on PC), but I'm really, really worried that we're all going to be sat here in a month's time saying we're top-four of the league with any team we pick in the ML

I also worry that the AI still doesn't really use build-up play, with any team (on Superstar at least, which I have to play on for a challenge in this demo - otherwise I'm getting 60%-70% possession every game).

But it's not just a one-off, a counter-attack. They do the same at 4m36s. Get the ball to a winger, pass in straight lines forward, get the ball to the striker ASAP. I could time-stamp all instances of it and some would still say "well in this bit, they don't do it" - but most of the time they do.

And you could say "it's their tactics" - but this is what Barcelona do to me in the demo.

If you're a Master League player I think you'd be mad to pre-order - but the second someone tells me they're ten games in with Newcastle and in the bottom five of the league (with the AI playing in different ways)... I'm running out the door to buy it.

Chris, like Gabe I play on the PC, 15 min matches with sider extension. I played a game yesterday, Newcastle against Watford on SS, which was probably among the most realistic feeling computer games I've ever played. It's true, they often pass the ball straight up to the striker, but they also play it back or sideways, sometimes to the keeper even. I think it depends heavily on their attack/defense level. I'll try to record a match later this week with these longer settings.

What I am a bit worried about is the stamina system. Probably an effect of the default 5 minute matches artificially stretched to 15 minutes (on the PC) the AI doesn't seem to show any signs of stamina depletion whatsoever. They also never sub. Hopefully just the demo.

What a terrible keeper animation in first goal. Keeper dive weird and stand on his line. Don’t like it. @Chris Davies what is incredible here?

What first goal? There was only one goal.

The point of the video wasn't about animations or Juve being overpowered it was about the believable emotional reactions that Konami is able to script into their gameplay. It tells a story, or better: it gives you the ingredients to weave your own story around it. And yes, it's occasionally eerily authentic. Ronaldo is a c*nt and everybody hates him, but even on a bad day he can still make a difference and you grudgingly have to admit, that he IS really very good. Plus, Bayern know a thing or two about conceding late goals in important matches.

Chris, like Gabe I play on the PC, 15 min matches with sider extension. I played a game yesterday, Newcastle against Watford on SS, which was probably among the most realistic feeling computer games I've ever played. It's true, they often pass the ball straight up to the striker, but they also play it back or sideways, sometimes to the keeper even. I think it depends heavily on their attack/defense level. I'll try to record a match later this week with these longer settings.

What I am a bit worried about is the stamina system. Probably an effect of the default 5 minute matches artificially stretched to 15 minutes (on the PC) the AI doesn't seem to show any signs of stamina depletion whatsoever. They also never sub. Hopefully just the demo.

The point of the video wasn't about animations or Juve being overpowered it was about the believable emotional reactions that Konami is able to script into their gameplay. It tells a story, or better: it gives you the ingredients to weave your own story around it. And yes, it's occasionally eerily authentic. Ronaldo is a c*nt and everybody hates him, but even on a bad day he can still make a difference and you grudgingly have to admit, that he IS really very good. Plus, Bayern know a thing or two about conceding late goals in important matches.

Has all the hallmarks of how pes was on the ps2 and konami’s footie games before that ISS ect..classic pes and why we should remain optimistic about ML and single player gameplay.

Everything seems so well thought out with this game..It’s almost like they finally realised what used to make there games so good.What was lacking interms of ball physics and player physicality.More importantly the use of stats and how that’s the real heart of the game.

If that’s right we will get these moments.

Last edited:

Imagine they´d be able to do such things.
Creating a rivalry between specific players that go extra hard on each other.
Form a little story around it in the master league, maybe.

And if one player did something very harsh or made a stupid statement, in the next game everytime he´s on the ball, the crowd is booing and whistling at him, just like it happened a lot in real life.
But first of all, they would have get the atmosphere right, in the stadium.

I like that a lot on your video. A foul out of frustration...there has to be more like this!

They never sub on PC? They sub in every match I play on PS4.

Btw, I noticed when not pressing the dash button almost at all, and just using the left stick, the AI plays a slower game passing the ball around more. I'd only use the dash button to get to a loose ball, which I think I don't need to anyway because players would run automatically, or when I'm racing to go 1-1 with the keeper.

Maybe a coincidence, but it's happened in every match I tried.

Konami has made something really really great. The more a progress in the learning curve he more I feel how sensitive it's player control.

I feel that ball control mechanics its based on doing quick touches of LS and RS instead of pressing LS continuously.
Recive the ball, relase all buttons, keep up your head, visualize defense/ofense movements and then react. Seen how important it's slowdown the pace in this game: I never played any other online football game that I was able to slow my player in the third yard. And it's not only that, In PES 2020 I feel rewarded for doing it.

And about finesse dribbling, for those who don't feel confident with it. Think to use it as smart touch. It's super handfull do it just before a pass when you're pressed, it lets you open space, changing your foot to make the pass. Delighting.

Last edited:

Btw, I noticed when not pressing the dash button almost at all, and just using the left stick, the AI plays a slower game passing the ball around more. I'd only use the dash button to get to a loose ball, which I think I don't need to anyway because players would run automatically, or when I'm racing to go 1-1 with the keeper.

Your right..The more space you give them the more direct they are..They probe every gap/hole.. Just what you would expect from a human player.

Do they sub with full animations or just swap in game? Perhaps I missed that, lol.

And, yes, overuse of dash button is immediately punished.

Just had another 3 games of Boca vs Rivers after not playing for a bit.

The first one was a bit stale. My mind was still elsewhere and thus i did not really focus on the player and the ball, was just passing around a bit in a not so creative manner and as a result the game did not give me a lot back. It was close to boring and curiously i got a lot of fouls against me that seemed injust (but on closer inspection where well within margins of acceptable).

The second game i tried to focus more and i slowly got back in my rythm making use of my full arsenal of tools like R2 steopover, R1-single-click dashes to change direction, etc. Already the game started to flow a bit better and fouls where more intentionally.

By the third game i was back in business, paying extra attention to the timing of R1, taking into account players positions before passing and applying appropiate curve, quickly reacting to runs, exploiting every inche of room and using R2 to prepare for my next pass. It flowed and was varied with lots of unexpected moments i had to quickly react to.

As always with PES, the game opens up as soon as you put in the effort and with the improved ball physics now more then ever. Some games you can only play lean forward to enjoy them and football games in general are among them.

Slightly offtopic: being a lean forward type of entertainment also makes it a bit more complex to judge. There's this gray area where on the one hand the game is expected to pull the player in but on the other the player itself should also put in the effort and be receptive of the game and allow himself to be pulled in.

Thats where i think this community - as a whole - stands out. It is obviously willing to put in the effort and at the same time critically exams the elements that block us from being in that flow under all circumstances, be it online or playing ML.

And imho it -mostly- does it with respect to eachother and without having too unrealistic expectations of where the game stops and our own ability to enjoy ourselves begins. Chapeau to that.

I really needed this off my chest i guess after reading pages of pages of opinions. Watching the interplay here of individual players, game and community is almost as enjoyful as the game itself.

Last edited:
Konami has made something really really great. The more a progress in the learning curve he more I feel how sensitive it's player control.

I feel that ball control mechanics its based on doing quick touches of LS and RS instead of pressing LS continuously.
Recive the ball, relase all buttons, keep up your head, visualize defense/ofense movements and then react. Seen how important it's slowdown the pace in this game: I never played any other online football game that I was able to slow my player in the third yard. And it's not only that, In PES 2020 I feel rewarded for doing it.

And about finesse dribbling, for those who don't feel confident with it. Think to use it as smart touch. It's super handfull do it just before a pass when you're pressed, it lets you open space, changing your foot to make the pass. Delighting.

Totally agree bro. The more I learn and get better at the mechanics the more the game opens up.

One thing I really picked up on is because the pace of the game is slower you see the little things at work more clearly now and you can read the game better you don’t feel rushed.

For example, I played a couple games with Barca but first I went through all the starting 11 to see their individual playing style. Playing styles have been there, I know, but because of the slower pace I see them at work a lot better.

Suarez is advanced striker. He’s constantly trying to make a run in behind. Messi and Coutinho have roaming flanks. So they naturally drift inside from their play style. I don’t need to make Messi a SS or bring him inside on my formation screen or put on false winger tactics. Same with Sergio Roberto and Jordi Alba they are offensive fullbacks so they move to get forward anyway. Don’t need to do attacking fullbacks with them. Frenkie De Jong has Orchestrater play style and the low pass inspire. When he’s on the ball I see guys moving into attacking spaces for him to spray a through pass.etc etc.

I honestly haven’t had to use advanced instructions much at all because the individual play styles are really pronounced. Though tiki taka actually works this time around. Guys checking to the ball carrier and another player making a forward run into the vacated space behind.

Had some great matches last night online with friends. I’ll cut up some clips later after work

Do they sub with full animations or just swap in game? Perhaps I missed that, lol.

And, yes, overuse of dash button is immediately punished.

I see subs and I occasionally see the animations too. Maybe time extensor fucks that up? I've only used it a bit then I removed it for good as I prefer to play full games in the complete game.

Totally agree bro. The more I learn and get better at the mechanics the more the game opens up.

One thing I really picked up on is because the pace of the game is slower you see the little things at work more clearly now and you can read the game better you don’t feel rushed.

For example, I played a couple games with Barca but first I went through all the starting 11 to see their individual playing style. Playing styles have been there, I know, but because of the slower pace I see them at work a lot better.

Suarez is advanced striker. He’s constantly trying to make a run in behind. Messi and Coutinho have roaming flanks. So they naturally drift inside from their play style. I don’t need to make Messi a SS or bring him inside on my formation screen or put on false winger tactics. Same with Sergio Roberto and Jordi Alba they are offensive fullbacks so they move to get forward anyway. Don’t need to do attacking fullbacks with them. Frenkie De Jong has Orchestrater play style and the low pass inspire. When he’s on the ball I see guys moving into attacking spaces for him to spray a through pass.etc etc.

I honestly haven’t had to use advanced instructions much at all because the individual play styles are really pronounced. Though tiki taka actually works this time around. Guys checking to the ball carrier and another player making a forward run into the vacated space behind.

Had some great matches last night online with friends. I’ll cut up some clips later after work

Yeah mate. And it's so important slowdown your pace to let your teamates finish off-ball movement.

And I love how stats matter. Yesterday played a few matches with Corinthians and I felt so confortable keeping posession with brazilian skilled players against Juve or Bayern , then I switched to ManU and I had dificulties to build up with its tough midfielders and I was punished with deep passes into sidebacks back so I had to change the plan and play long balls to Lukaku.

Probably an effect of the default 5 minute matches artificially stretched to 15 minutes (on the PC) the AI doesn't seem to show any signs of stamina depletion whatsoever. They also never sub.
Yes it must be some weird reaction to stretched matches, since Im playing those 5mins ones and my AI makes subs frequently, regardless of difficulty.

THIS!!!! so this!!! :D

PESEP and @SpoonyPizzas mentioned that in their videos too. i do it for days now. just wiggle the LS when you have the ball at your feet (mabye not wiggle but move). dont move it to the max, maybe move the LS just 20%-40% (not even 50%) and the player will do soft touches (deft touches) to the ball. this is perfect for fooling opponents or getting a slight movement out of them. you can force them to be more active...
and on top of that there is RS finesse dribble and R2+RS tricks and first touch system... (finesse dribbling, wich start the most players with, i guess).
even the basics are so detailed! and there is special features on top of that.

like always i need to get the basics right first and then add some special manouvers to it! :D

edit: lately i'm not having that problem of letting a ball go through my players legs by accident so much! i got used to R2 close receiving the ball (+LS) that i need to force myself now to let a ball go through (like it should be). i had a lot of balls i could not control when i started playing the demo. but it gets better and better every day. :)

edit2: guess i'll drop my demo feedback soon... doesn't make sense to wait any longer and i guess i've seen "enough" of the demo. not that i'm tired of it... far from that!! :D

Last edited:
I really wish this demo had a training mode so we can really play and experiment with the dribbling and skills without the pressure of opposition interfering. But then again, Apart from the match length - Konami have been very generous with the demo's content so i can't complain too much.

Was challenge training still present on PES 2019 - Has that even been a thing on fox engine PES this gen?

Hope we see it return if it hasn't.

Any loving the little animations on this game that just give it a little bit of life. We saw earlier in the thread a player showing restraint in following through with a kick when he realised it was futile due to the keeper winning the 50/50. I saw one in the KnightMD impressions video of fans standing up out of their seats when a player approaches them to collect the ball for a throw in.

I like this animation where the keepers fall into the goal net. Again, such a minor thing but really adds to the immersion when the players react with their surroundings rather gently nestling besides it like a feather.

have you tried similar moves in 2019 because it sounds similar (perhaps more obvious in 2020).

edit : in fact forget that - IIRC its less obvious in official PES 2019; but more obvious in 2019 modded version. If this is something that is in 2020 official then its a welcome improvement.

Last edited:
have you tried similar moves in 2019 because it sounds similar (perhaps more obvious in 2020).

edit : in fact forget that - IIRC its less obvious in official PES 2019; but more obvious in 2019 modded version. If this is something that is in 2020 official then its a welcome improvement.
yes, we had similar stuff in 2019! this is an evolution of it, imo!
yes, i said it: EVOLUTION!! :D

I really wish this demo had a training mode so we can really play and experiment with the dribbling and skills without the pressure of opposition interfering. But then again, Apart from the match length - Konami have been very generous with the demo's content so i can't complain too much.

Was challenge training still present on PES 2019 - Has that even been a thing on fox engine PES this gen?

Hope we see it return if it hasn't.

Any loving the little animations on this game that just give it a little bit of life. We saw earlier in the thread a player showing restraint in following through with a kick when he realised it was futile due to the keeper winning the 50/50. I saw one in the KnightMD impressions video of fans standing up out of their seats when a player approaches them to collect the ball for a throw in.

I like this animation where the keepers fall into the goal net. Again, such a minor thing but really adds to the immersion when the players react with their surroundings rather gently nestling besides it like a feather.

Challenge training is still there. At least up to 19 version.

Did you know about this?

yep! tried the 2020 dummy pass when crossing... never did it for a set piece though (yet). there must be some nice animations hidden in that feature!
but then again, i'm a player who test the silliest stuff on the pitch! :LOL:
i desperately need the training ground! :D

Yes, this is mostly the case, except finesse dribbling because they've changed the control system altogether. And Master League yet to be seen.

Yeah but I mean.... last year for example, they talked about new shooting mechanics, more variation, more error. And I barely saw any of that. Yeah some shots went wider off target than in 2018, but it wasn't until this 2020 Demo came out that I actually saw THAT feature announced for 2019 actually coming alive in the full spectrum of it.

edit: lately i'm not having that problem of letting a ball go through my players legs by accident so much! i got used to R2 close receiving the ball (+LS) that i need to force myself now to let a ball go through (like it should be). i had a lot of balls i could not control when i started playing the demo. but it gets better and better every day. :)
Have a play about with R2+LS direction towards ball. That'll both avoid the ball going through legs as with just R2, and also pull off the trick trap.

Have a play about with R2+LS direction towards ball. That'll both avoid the ball going through legs as with just R2, and also pull off the trick trap.
i'm using LS+R2 to receive balls and have them close at me!
so my old habbit of receiving balls with pressing R2 is still in use, i just have to put the LS in some direction. but i'll give it a go and point towards the ball.

cant wait to get home and play some more! :)

Last edited:
yep! tried the 2020 dummy pass when crossing... never did it for a set piece though (yet). there must be some nice animations hidden in that feature!
but then again, i'm a player who test the silliest stuff on the pitch! :LOL:
i desperately need the training ground! :D

You can't do it from a set piece, well, not directly, you have to lay it off first(which is what he does in the video).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom