eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is advanced shooting generally the way to go? Getting a little frustrated with the lack of control with basic shooting, so thanks for the suggestion.

Definitely.
Been using Advanced Shooting since PES 2017 I think.
It gives you many more options and outcomes.
Takes a while getting used to, but it's far better than both basic and manual shooting, in my opinion.

Can you turn off the reticule in Advanced Shooting?

Yeah!
Go to your personal settings (where you can set passing assistance and all that) and you can find it somewhere down the bottom, near the positioning guide.

Is advanced shooting generally the way to go? Getting a little frustrated with the lack of control with basic shooting, so thanks for the suggestion.
Absolutely.
It can be tough to get curling efforts right into the top corner compared to basic shooting, but instead you can make sure volleys and headers don’t fly into the sky. You really do have more control over your shots.

I always thought it was a little too good in 2019, but now they’ve added room for error by making it easier to shoot wide.

I can’t stress enough though that you may find it a real pain in the arse to begin with. You have to learn to press shoot first, then aim second, otherwise you’ll try and hit a first time shot into the bottom corner but accidentally turn away from goal. Or you’ll have an open goal, but you’ll accidentally aim for the top corner and balloon it over. Honestly, while you’re still getting used to it I can almost guarantee you’ll hate it :D

Stick with it though, cos once you’ve sorted your muscle memory out it’s soooooo much better than FIFA’s low shot method. Gives you great control over your chip shots too, being able to force a shot into the bottom corner means you can attempt some lovey low arched lobs which are impossible to even attempt with basic shooting.

I'd be on advanced shooting in a heartbeat - but I just cannot wrap my head around aiming behind you to hit a low shot (and I swear, I've really tried to get into it in the past).

I'd love it if they added an "invert advanced shooting" switch. They have that for free kick aim, right?

Definitely.
Been using Advanced Shooting since PES 2017 I think.
It gives you many more options and outcomes.
Takes a while getting used to, but it's far better than both basic and manual shooting, in my opinion.

Yeah!
Go to your personal settings (where you can set passing assistance and all that) and you can find it somewhere down the bottom, near the positioning guide.
Gave up on it the same year,since every shot hit the post or crossbar,maybe they patched it later on,but it was horrible then (could have been Pes 16 can't remember)

I'd be on advanced shooting in a heartbeat - but I just cannot wrap my head around aiming behind you to hit a low shot (and I swear, I've really tried to get into it in the past).

I'd love it if they added an "invert advanced shooting" switch. They have that for free kick aim, right?

It's really not that confusing after you practiced it a bit.
What I did back then was play a couple of games on the easiest difficulty or got to training mode and just started to get in situations that may present during the course of a match in which I'd like to hit a low, hard shot.

It's really not that confusing after you practiced it a bit.
What I did back then was play a couple of games on the easiest difficulty or got to training mode and just started to get in situations that may present during the course of a match in which I'd like to hit a low, hard shot.
Exactly what I did!
Basically played on easy so I could get loads and loads of shots in the same game.

You quickly build up your muscle memory.

Absolutely.
It can be tough to get curling efforts right into the top corner compared to basic shooting, but instead you can make sure volleys and headers don’t fly into the sky. You really do have more control over your shots.

I always thought it was a little too good in 2019, but now they’ve added room for error by making it easier to shoot wide.

I can’t stress enough though that you may find it a real pain in the arse to begin with. You have to learn to press shoot first, then aim second, otherwise you’ll try and hit a first time shot into the bottom corner but accidentally turn away from goal. Or you’ll have an open goal, but you’ll accidentally aim for the top corner and balloon it over. Honestly, while you’re still getting used to it I can almost guarantee you’ll hate it :D

Stick with it though, cos once you’ve sorted your muscle memory out it’s soooooo much better than FIFA’s low shot method. Gives you great control over your chip shots too, being able to force a shot into the bottom corner means you can attempt some lovey low arched lobs which are impossible to even attempt with basic shooting.
It didnt take me that much effort (and hate) to learn it.
Open goal easy chances were the only situations, where it could get frustrating, as IMO, when you are 2 feet from empty goal, its actually harder to sky the ball then it is to score. And almost every time I accidentally aimed at top corner from up close - i was missing the goal.
But I got my head around it fairly quick and I loved it for a while.
That was until I realised that basic shooting is (was, in Pes19) more varied than advanced (and harder to score). Thats when I went back to basic.
Havent tried advanced in Pes20, trying to learn manual now. Its not going too well, tbh.
Even few absolute screamers, that I had, were more of a luck than skill..

It didnt take me that much effort (and hate) to learn it.
Open goal easy chances were the only situations, where it could get frustrating, as IMO, when you are 2 feet from empty goal, its actually harder to sky the ball then it is to score. And almost every time I accidentally aimed at top corner from up close - i was missing the goal.
But I got my head around it fairly quick and I loved it for a while.
That was until I realised that basic shooting is (was, in Pes19) more varied than advanced (and harder to score). Thats when I went back to basic.
Havent tried advanced in Pes20, trying to learn manual now. Its not going too well, tbh.
Even few absolute screamers, that I had, were more of a luck than skill..
I don’t understand how basic could be more varied? By its design you only apply power and direction, not placement.

Doing a powerful Harry Kane esc bullet into the opposite bottom corner isn’t possible on basic because you can’t apply a lot of power and still keep it along the floor..

I don’t understand how basic could be more varied? By its design you only apply power and direction, not placement
It was in Pes19, unfortunately. Maybe not as much when it comes to style of a shot, but its outcome.
Hard, low shot into far bottom corner was a goal 9/10 times. Whereas on Basic it was more difficult to score, as the amount of power was elevating the ball into various heights. Also - stats mattered more on basic. There was a whole discussion about this in Pes19 thread at some stage.
But Pes19 shots were generally very limited and over accurate, regardless of settings.

Like I said - havent tried Advanced on Pes20. With increased error and better physics Advanced might be, indeed, the way to go.

I know I hype myself for apparently different stuff than the usual :D .. but damn. Just had this happening to me during a Coutinho's acceleration, felt the need to share..

..cause that's perhaps the most beautiful example of a physical/speed duel I've ever experienced in a videogame. It's all there: Coutinho being way faster than the Palmeiras defender, which being unable to compete on pure speed (finally stats seriously seems to matter more) needs to grab his shirt to contain him, only to have Coutinho push him away with his arms in another small, beautiful tying animation; resisting then another pretty tough tackle (no free kick either after I lost the ball strangely), for the third defender to finally free the ball.

If they stay consistent on stuff like this, the balance between having both speedsters and players who knows how to use their physical strength togheter to balance each other and being equally important, is just right around the corner..

Just loving the physicality and randomness of the play, also compared to PES 2019 the A.I. is much more human-like (just a little bit too passive and easy).
On another note, this demo brings back so many memories, playing PES 5/6 and watching replays for the small details :D.
Beautiful chest control and chip goal from Benzema.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I know I hype myself for apparently different stuff than the usual :D .. but damn. Just had this happening to me during a Coutinho's acceleration, felt the need to share..

..cause that's perhaps the most beautiful example of a physical/speed duel I've ever experienced in a videogame. It's all there: Coutinho being way faster than the Palmeiras defender, which being unable to compete on pure speed (finally stats seriously seems to matter more) needs to grab his shirt to contain him, only to have Coutinho push him away with his arms in another small, beautiful tying animation; resisting then another pretty tough tackle (no free kick either after I lost the ball strangely), for the third defender to finally free the ball.

If they stay consistent on stuff like this, the balance between having both speedsters and players who knows how to use their physical strength togheter to balance each other and being equally important, is just right around the corner..

Yeah, there're tons of animations for dodging defenders in physical duels. In online match yesterday,I did a wing rush with Malcom. rival tried to slide tackle me out of time, Malcom jumped to evade defense legs, then the rival tried to tackle me again and Malcom dodged it on the second attempt too. Fantastic. I hope CPU be less conservative on 1 and 1 duels.

Funnily enough Chris, this year the command list has the controls inverted but they don't translate onto the pitch! Jokers!

It was in Pes19, unfortunately. Maybe not as much when it comes to style of a shot, but its outcome.
Hard, low shot into far bottom corner was a goal 9/10 times. Whereas on Basic it was more difficult to score, as the amount of power was elevating the ball into various heights. Also - stats mattered more on basic. There was a whole discussion about this in Pes19 thread at some stage.
But Pes19 shots were generally very limited and over accurate, regardless of settings.

Like I said - havent tried Advanced on Pes20. With increased error and better physics Advanced might be, indeed, the way to go.
Oh I see, you mean more varied as in more prone to missed shots? Totally agree on that, advanced felt incredibly accurate on 2019.

I just don’t think I could ever go back to basic because I hate that low shots have to be pathetic little dribblers. There’s also nothing sweeter than hitting a full powered volley aiming for the bottom corner, but its hit so hard, and the players shooting stat isn’t high enough, so it raises up as a bullet right into the top corner.

Advanced has an element of manual shooting in it now, by that I mean if you aim directly for the corner every time then plenty of players will put it wide so you have to aim ever so slightly more centrally.

I’m 100% behind this change, because it’s far more believable watching Iwobi spoon an easy chance wide :D

I just wish they'd bring back the low shot modifier from 13/14. It drives me crazy that they thought its removal was a good idea. I occasionally go back to advanced from manual but I just don't like not being in total control of the direction so I don't last long on it, despite enjoying the low shots. [As I play the game exclusively as a player based upon myself, I'm happy to see the occasional shot go out for a throw in!!]

Player v CPU preferably, cos then you can tell us how it feels! :D Would love to see the physical, long-ball-inclined teams like Burnley for example, against someone like Crystal Palace who (as it stands) rely largely on Zaha coming up with some magic! Hopefully an AI Crystal Palace spends all game passing to him!

Thanks man, would love to see any full games you upload if you get chance. As we all would I'm sure.
Here you go. Sorry but these matches are not really quality ones.
And in my rage after this i had to play one with City.

I just wish they'd bring back the low shot modifier from 13/14. It drives me crazy that they thought its removal was a good idea. I occasionally go back to advanced from manual but I just don't like not being in total control of the direction so I don't last long on it, despite enjoying the low shots. [As I play the game exclusively as a player based upon myself, I'm happy to see the occasional shot go out for a throw in!!]
I would prefer low shoot option too.
A "shortcut" i used until pes2018 was L2 (manual modifier ) + :triangle: (through pass) , with full power gauge, towards the goalpost. It is not ground short, but still the shortest outcome you can take in contrast with basic or manual shooting. The only problem since last year's game is, the engine dictates much more than before the action, trying to create context, so many times while running one on one you may end up giving out a weak pass to the opponent Goalkeeper. It was like it registered only the 10% of the power input in through-pass.
I still haven't try the demo, but reading that shoots are more based in engine/physics this year, i assume it will be the same or even harder.

Last edited:
I would prefer low shoot option too.
A "shortcut" i used until pes2018 was L2 (manual modifier ) + :triangle: (through pass) , with full power gauge, towards the goalpost. It is not ground short, but still the shortest outcome you can take in contrast with basic or manual shooting. The only problem since last year's game is, the engine dictates much more than before the action, trying to create context, so many times while running one on one you may end up giving out a week pass to the opponent Goalkeeper. It was like it registered only the 10% of the power input in through-pass.
I still haven't try the demo, but reading that shoots are more based in engine/physics this year, i assume it will be the same or even harder.

Yep, I tried that a few times too, however the problem I found was that sometimes the goalie wouldn't react to it like it was a shot. Also, sometimes offside would be given in situations when it wouldn't have been called if you'd pressed the shot button.

In the demo, I've felt like the shot variation is much better and as a result I've seen my players do some low shots even when I've put lots of power on.

While I'm here, on a related note, my biggest annoyance with the removal of the short knock-on control is that it was a sure-fire way of doing the 'dipping shot'. This obsession of konami to make things contextual is a real disappointment to me. I love having things to learn and having more tools at my disposal to accurately represent the game how I wa
ould like.

For those that play on advanced shooting:

Is there (still) a slight lag when first time shooting?

Think I played most of PES 19 on advanced but it sometimes didn't respond right away for first time shots so your player would take an extra touch before shooting.
Maybe it was only in certain situations...

That looks very Maradona-ish!

Do we know how to perform the old knock-on yet?
I think I saw somebody saying he would explain it later. But that was like 3 days ago.

According to Weedens:
I've found it! It's not a skill move anymore but just a situational animation. Pass the ball to a player, then wait for it (your player has to be stationary) then hold the L stick in the diagonal. That's it! I will upload a tutorial soon

**OFF-TOPIC**
@gabe.paul.logan It's my understanding that these Mods with new teams for PC change the gameplay. They say it feels faster. Is that true?.
I haven't downloaded any because of that reason.
Thanks.
**OFF-TOPIC**

What passing assistance are you guys using in the demo?

I’m still using default, is that PA 0? I always get confused.

For those that play on advanced shooting:

Is there (still) a slight lag when first time shooting?

Think I played most of PES 19 on advanced but it sometimes didn't respond right away for first time shots so your player would take an extra touch before shooting.
Maybe it was only in certain situations...

Yes, I had this too with the extra touches, even before 2019. Reason I always switched back to simple shooting. Maybe it’s a timing issue but it’s certainly frustrating.

**OFF-TOPIC**
@gabe.paul.logan It's my understanding that these Mods with new teams for PC change the gameplay. They say it feels faster. Is that true?.
I haven't downloaded any because of that reason.
Thanks.
**OFF-TOPIC**

I cant tell for sure. These should only swap teams within the DB however i couldnt really tell as i played the vanilla with the default camera on normal speed, then changed it to a generic long range, then set the game speed to -1 because its fast by default at close view, then i installed the mods and changed the cam again a bit. :D
So if there is some minor speed changes somehow, i could not really tell. Im planning to play online sometimes next week so well see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom