eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they tone done the fouls with the latest update maybe?
No, I dont think so. I didnt see any update on PS4. And thats what I was trying to say. I think people are more careful, getting better in defending and there is less fouls. The more I play it the more I think this system is not broken at all.
Seems that I came in between.
I got paired with PRO and he told me, he tried to play you
Well at least it stayed in the family.. :LOL:

It's really nice to see we're not all moaning about the following for a change!

Too many back heels
Rocket Shots or awful shooting mechanics
Floaty Keeper animations
Ping Pong Passing
Game speed too fast
No look passing accuracy too high
Lack of physicality or poor physics system
Passing accuracy too high/assisted
Not enough player individuality
Repetitive soul destroying A.i (this is subject to change although early signs are promising!)

Now I'm not saying that all things on the list are perfect or that game doesn't have other issues but I do think all these have somewhat been addressed in the last year by Konami and they deserve some credit where credit is due. The early signs are extremely promising for this game and it has the potential to be one the best offerings we've had from our friends in Japan since the PS2 era.

I feel it's now a hoping, praying & waiting game to see if they are brave enough to stick with their vision, make a few tweaks here & there and don't completely butcher this game before release or patch it to death!

It's too early to say for sure, but we might have an absolute classic on our hands here.

That's my opinion as well.

Honestly I'm still afraid that whenever I post about a session with the demo I'm hyping the game too much, but what should I say? It's not like I'm just having an unmotivated fun, they objectively addressed most of the stuff I was asking them too. Is it perfect? Of course not, loads of stuff to still take care of. Will it be a masterpiece? Well, who knows. They can easily screw everything up. I can also see why somebody might not like it anyway.

But for now the work is there, it shows on the pitch and I'd rather focus on that. If it won't be a classic, I'm keeping my hopes that we'll at least have something to play for the whole year without getting bored or frustrated (some heir to Pes 17 for who liked it).

Superstar,pa0..Haven’t felt this way about a football game since Pes3..A masterclass in game design.

Has all the hallmarks of a classic and for me every component works in almost perfect cohesion..Beautifully subtle and rhythmic.Being hyper realistic but never forgetting it’s a game.

Gameplay is always king.

Last edited:
Wasn’t knocking the pro..Conversation between two X owners.I have a pro too..

Pro demo play’s fine,but the X version is better(true story).There not different games or anything..However there are slight frame-rate and response issues with the PS4 pro version in comparison(been flicking between the two).

All in all the X runs the demo flawlessly without barely making a audible whisper..Where as the pro sounds like a jet engine.There’s times also,especially in rain,night conditions.Where frames drop and this negates input and response.Response overall is also better on the X.

When I’m playing superstar on the pro.I’m literally wrestling the controller to get the cursor where I want it at times.Same with button pressing and how heavy I am with the stick.There’s a much bigger delay on everything you do.

I've played both versions to and don't notice any difference. Oh and my Pro is quiet when I play.

Playing this demo is driving me crackers. I'm absolutely in love with half of it - the dribbling (which I'm still getting used to), the AI (most of the time), the unpredictable ball physics. It's got that "one more game" feel.

Even defensive positioning has been worked on, something I talk to @Matt10 about in an upcoming podcast. I tried to score past a desperately defending River Plate and they had ten men in the box, deflecting 4-5 shots one after the other. It was immensely satisfying. Well done to them for working on the tactical side of the game.

But the other half of it - well, as someone else has already done, put your reserve GKs in midfield and your pass accuracy doesn't suffer, so what the hell are the attributes doing? They only seem to matter in 10% of situations (when a player is off-balance for example).

Once a game (to be VERY generous) there'll be an incident where the collision engine does something stupid that stands out like a sore thumb, and this is the game-breaker for me - e.g. a player will win possession of the ball (my player or the AI's, it's not a "cheat", it's just the collision engine) and then stand and watch the dead ball in-front of him as an opponent just runs across him and takes it back again. It goes from feeling super-fluid to super-stiff in a heartbeat and it's not occasionally, it's every game. And these are five minute games, so what's a ten minute game going to be like?!

It's not just one recurring issue - I've seen the goalkeeper look the other way while a goal goes in, I've seen the keeper run past the striker and stop, leaving an open goal, I've seen the ball go through the keeper's body, an outfield player's body...

Most annoyingly, I've seen defenders hit an invisible wall to stop them intercepting a pass / tackling a dribbler - and that for me is something where I just can't look the other way and say "it's fine". It's not fine.

I won't go on about the fouls - sick of talking about it, and honestly, it's not the biggest issue I have - but it's definitely worth pointing out that 90% of free kicks closer than 30yds go in the back of the net too (again, human or AI).

I'll never pre-order a PES (or any game) - but I'm hoping the final build has worked on all of this stuff. It will probably be the best modern PES regardless and I know that's enough for some (as long as the AI provides as much of a challenge as 2019 - another worry, I find the big teams are WAY too easy to play against in this demo, on Superstar - they should scare me, and they don't).

We're on the same page here, Chris. I can totally relate to what you're saying.

Sometimes I have to double-check to see if I haven't ran PES 2019 by mistake.
And sometimes I catch myself thinking "Feck me! This is on some next-level realistic ish".

Glass half full or glass half empty. It's never completely full for me yet.

Superstar,pa0..Haven’t felt this way about a football game since Pes3..A masterclass in game design.

Has all the hallmarks of a classic and for me every component works in almost perfect cohesion..Beautifully subtle and rhythmic.Being hyper realistic but never forgetting it’s a game.

Gameplay is always king.
Besides the A.I. needing to step up their game a little, it is so nice to see how this game can flow when played manual. Plus the user actually is interested in playing the sport.
It is so much more thoughtful! So much more football!!

Last edited:
Way way too harsh, some of you are never going to enjoy a game this way. There are some Pes 2019 issues resurfacing, that's why i also called the game bipolar, sometimes it plays very similar to Pes 2019,but most of the time it shows a big gameplay update on Pes 2019.

I wouldn't expect Konami to fix this demo issues though, it will be the same or slightly worse. I don't remember final game being better than demo, ever.

Playing this demo is driving me crackers. I'm absolutely in love with half of it - the dribbling (which I'm still getting used to), the AI (most of the time), the unpredictable ball physics. It's got that "one more game" feel.

Even defensive positioning has been worked on, something I talk to @Matt10 about in an upcoming podcast. I tried to score past a desperately defending River Plate and they had ten men in the box, deflecting 4-5 shots one after the other. It was immensely satisfying. Well done to them for working on the tactical side of the game.

But the other half of it - well, as someone else has already done, put your reserve GKs in midfield and your pass accuracy doesn't suffer, so what the hell are the attributes doing? They only seem to matter in 10% of situations (when a player is off-balance for example).

Once a game (to be VERY generous) there'll be an incident where the collision engine does something stupid that stands out like a sore thumb, and this is the game-breaker for me - e.g. a player will win possession of the ball (my player or the AI's, it's not a "cheat", it's just the collision engine) and then stand and watch the dead ball in-front of him as an opponent just runs across him and takes it back again. It goes from feeling super-fluid to super-stiff in a heartbeat and it's not occasionally, it's every game. And these are five minute games, so what's a ten minute game going to be like?!

It's not just one recurring issue - I've seen the goalkeeper look the other way while a goal goes in, I've seen the keeper run past the striker and stop, leaving an open goal, I've seen the ball go through the keeper's body, an outfield player's body...

Most annoyingly, I've seen defenders hit an invisible wall to stop them intercepting a pass / tackling a dribbler - and that for me is something where I just can't look the other way and say "it's fine". It's not fine.

I won't go on about the fouls - sick of talking about it, and honestly, it's not the biggest issue I have - but it's definitely worth pointing out that 90% of free kicks closer than 30yds go in the back of the net too (again, human or AI).

I'll never pre-order a PES (or any game) - but I'm hoping the final build has worked on all of this stuff. It will probably be the best modern PES regardless and I know that's enough for some (as long as the AI provides as much of a challenge as 2019 - another worry, I find the big teams are WAY too easy to play against in this demo, on Superstar - they should scare me, and they don't).

Don't think I've seen the bolded part or at least noticed it. Can you maybe post a video of it?

But the clipping that you mention is very bad at times, like this:

RE scoring free kicks, do you mean also that the AI score versus you that often?

Gameplay is always king.
The King IS actually back! We never thought it could actually happen...

I think nowadays we spend more time on finding the worst of the game than enjoying and admiring the good things
well there will never be a perfect game
if you spend too much time on finding the worst part of the game, you will never enjoy the game no matter how good it is
surely every game has its worst part

I think nowadays we spend more time on finding the worst of the game than enjoying and admiring the good things
if you spend too much time on finding the worst part of the game, you will never enjoy the game no matter how good it is
surely every game has its worst part
Yeah i think it's because im really old (40 this year) i want to see the good in the game and enjoy it rather than looking for every little thing to nit pick and make videos about them. PES 2008-2019 i did not enjoy the demos in the slightest but never once crossed my mind to make videos to show why i hated the games so much i just moved on to a game i like playing.

If PES 5 was released today it would be under severe attack from the younger generation with all its flaws.

Who cares what person nr1 thinks on this game?
I actually don't care whether their agenda is a bit cloudy or if they're sincerely don't like this game no matter what their standpoint on Pes is?
Couldn't care less, they're not playing/buying the game for me right?

Think people need to stop taking criticism/butchering of this game so personally.
I have a few guys I trust regarding what I enjoy desire in a Pes game,if they approve it and are on the same page as me, great!
And if it keeps delivering til release,it's a buy for me.

I've said it before but in my opinion, games are less about the bits you love, and more about the bits you just can't pretend didn't happen because - as you say yourself - no game is perfect.

There are bits in all football games I love, but I honestly (and this is just my opinion) don't know how someone can get past (for example) losing possession while your player stands and watches. As you say, no game is perfect - but glitches like that happen way too often for me to feel like my control really matters.

If PES 5 was released today it would be under severe attack from the younger generation with all its flaws.
I would criticise it myself - I remember being outraged by the AI cheats. The balance may have been great but I remember thinking "fix that one thing and I'll be happy" - and coincidentally, this feels like the least cheaty PES I've played in years (we've not tried the ML yet, but Adam mentioned AI cheating in the E3 stream so I feel like it may have been looked at this year).

In 2019 you could use a Winger like Coman, hold R2 to slow him down then use quick taps of R1 to skip past the full back to the baseline. How the hell do you do this in this version? Does R2 do anything when you dribble?

Saw the keeper slipping in the rain because he had to change direction moving on the line. That looked nice.
Is there a new animation when running and releasing the ball with the keeper?!

I did not see the AI doing intentional fouls, afair! Anyone?

Edit: I wonder how the amount of fouls will play out in the final version.

Last edited:
In 2019 you could use a Winger like Coman, hold R2 to slow him down then use quick taps of R1 to skip past the full back to the baseline. How the hell do you do this in this version? Does R2 do anything when you dribble?
I don't think R2 works now
they just moved everything related to dribble to the right stick
however, catch bug barely happen in this demo so I find it easier to past defender simply using the speed burst in the right timing
coman is a beast in the demo

i played three games as juventus, and was struggling to get forward, Bayern was killing me on the counter attack. Then i switched to Barcelona and was in control of possession on their half most of the game. Truly love dribbling in this game, Messi is a force dribbling between three defenders in the box. The live broadcast cam zooms in a little more than the stadium cam does, and is my favorite cam. Goalies come out pretty quick, like a sweeper keeper to save the day.
article-2675728-1F498A8400000578-807_634x418.jpg

Best PES sense PS2 days, i think.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm spending the whole month in Canada, so no console for me until the end of August. I'm trusting you on this one, and I see there are reasons to be hyped..
Are there eany ML news? I haven't seen anyting besides the cutscenes and D2 back

So I heard. But what do I have to do to get the kind of close control jog we had with R2? Hold the right stick? It doesn’t feel the same.

PESEP explains clearly how to use it in this video:

R3 has a lot of uses and works better combining it with other moves.

You can jog if you presss R3 towards the goal, but i don't use it. Usually, what I do its relasing all buttons to remain near the ball without touching it, like old PES.

Don't think I've seen the bolded part or at least noticed it. Can you maybe post a video of it?
I delayed replying to this because I thought I'd saved a clip of it at a friend's house, but I hadn't, sorry. I'll clip it next time it happens.

That said, I see a lot of possession lost in circumstances where the player intercepts it perfectly with his feet, then "miscontrols" it so badly with his upper body that it becomes a pass to the opponent. It looks (and feels) fake every time.

In this instance, the interceptor has TONS of free space to move the ball into, yet (my input is ignored and) of his own accord, he chests it towards his own goal, and directly to the opponent that the pass was meant for. I don't think it's a coincidence.

(You could argue that, if it was faster - even though I'm playing on 0 here - that my player just didn't have time to control it, and it bounced off him. That's fair enough, I can accept that. But it feels "dodgy" to me every time I see this. Just letting the ball hit you and bounce off you, no attempt to direct it away from danger.)

As I say, I'm seeing stuff like this every five-minute game, and I can't unsee it, or enjoy it, knowing this is going on.

Here I am on for a brilliant counter-attack and... When in God's name would you ever see a striker do this? What if this was my only counter in an entire ten-minute game?

And as for the keeper here...
Online, goalkeepers are mental, because there seems to be a lag in your AI players' brains that isn't as bad (but is still there) offline, which is most noticeable in your defensive third (because when your defenders watch the ball go past, or run past the man in possession, you concede a goal 9/10 times).

Some will just brush this off and say no game is perfect. That's true. But I will concede (and score) so many bullshit goals to this stuff that it will spoil everything in-between.

It feels like the game's AI (for both sets of players) is operating a second behind the actual game, if that makes sense - evidenced perfectly in the video above.

The keeper runs/dives to where the ball was a second beforehand, twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom