eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time i play the Fifa demo's i think why on earth is that tiny wee player out muscleing my big guy :D Seems odd to me your forced to press a button for your player to hold off someone.

Why is that any more odd than pushing a button to kick the ball, or tackle, or any of the other actions that we have control over?

There’s a fair performance difference between the two..Not only is the X version smoother,it’s also doesn’t have the delay or lag..Shifting between the two you can really feel how unresponsive the PS4 version is in comparison..The pro is working it’s socks off and it does have a knock on effect on the game..May be a optimisation issue.

The default camera also stutters while moving on the PS4,it’s smooth and seamless on the X.

Just all round a more polished demo.

Rubbish, I have the Pro version and it plays fine.

I find that left trigger for shielding in FIFA is just as intuitive as holding any other button to perform an action, so not sure what the point is here. Comparing controller inputs for a video game to how these actions are performed in real life makes very little sense.

It's all about just giving players more agency, freedom, accountability, and control... all good things.

Maybe shielding could be considerated as a basic action, like shoot or pass, and has to had his command, But I've played Fifa for year specially in PS3/360 goden age, when I turned to PES I never missed shield button.

A lot of context actions stuff in PES it's managed by stats, and PES fans are extremist of stats system, so its a difficult matter.

Rubbish, I have the Pro version and it plays fine.

Wasn’t knocking the pro..Conversation between two X owners.I have a pro too..

Pro demo play’s fine,but the X version is better(true story).There not different games or anything..However there are slight frame-rate and response issues with the PS4 pro version in comparison(been flicking between the two).

All in all the X runs the demo flawlessly without barely making a audible whisper..Where as the pro sounds like a jet engine.There’s times also,especially in rain,night conditions.Where frames drop and this negates input and response.Response overall is also better on the X.

When I’m playing superstar on the pro.I’m literally wrestling the controller to get the cursor where I want it at times.Same with button pressing and how heavy I am with the stick.There’s a much bigger delay on everything you do.

Last edited:
Why is that any more odd than pushing a button to kick the ball, or tackle, or any of the other actions that we have control over?
I guess because it's football it's more natural to press a button to kick it or to tackle than pressing a button to hold off players or to shield the ball does not feel natural to me and most of the time in Fifa i just think there's no way im going to get bundled off the ball as my player is twice the size so having to press a button to stop being bundled off the ball even though your player is far stronger is just weird to me and this is why i prefer it to be stat based/contextual.

I guess because it's football it's more natural to press a button to kick it or to tackle pressing a button to hold off players or shield the ball does not feel natural to me and most of the time in Fifa i just think there's no way im going to get bundled off the ball as my player is twice the size having to press a button to stop that is just weird imo this is why i prefer it to be stat based/contextual.

maybe it's not either/or situation. you could have both but probably make the button much less effective than it is in FIFA

Having said that the ball protection as I'm seeing it in the 2020 demo is perhaps one of the most satisfying things I've ever experienced in a current gen football game, and that I wouldn't trade it for any existent, already seen similar system, I'm not against a dedicated command for the shielding. Of course I don't think it's philosophically wrong either to have your players shield the ball to at least a basic level in auto. After all, in real life, unless caught by complete surprise, you'd never see a player just stay indifferent to a tackle for the ball to be taken from his feet.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not against a direct command. But it should be done better than it is in Fifa. You want to give me the possibility to protect the ball then great, put it on the stick or something, make it stats based (so that it's more or less effective depending on it or on body types) and let me decide how to to cover it. I don't find particular depth or reward in pushing a button and just having the shield as it is now in EA.

By the way this discussion would be probably better in the Fifa vs Pes thread.

I’m beginning to think of the new R2 button as a modifier. That helps me. I hope.

Wasn’t knocking the pro..Conversation between two X owners.I have a pro too..

Pro demo play’s fine,but the X version is better(true story).There not different games or anything..However there are slight frame-rate and response issues with the PS4 pro version in comparison(been flicking between the two).
692666fd-6922-4e6b-82jjqo.jpeg

Did you guys got an update today on the consoles too?.

We got a big update (for a demo) on PC.
We're not sure what it changed yet.

So, is this true, that the only way to play a friendly match with particular person (a guy from here for example), is to go
"3,2,1... Search!!!" ...and hope for the best?
Is there no share play, or invites, or something?

Spent the last two hours flicking between the two and if anything, there's an absolutely marginal framerate drop around things like corner cut-scenes. But the gameplay is identical the 99% of the time, as far as I can see. I certainly wouldn't choose the Xbox version over a PS version with a good option file. Really not a big deal.

Did you guys got an update today on the consoles too?.

We got a big update (for a demo) on PC.
We're not sure what it changed yet.
Nope. It was only for the PC matchmaking issues being reported, right? I saw the patch notes in the PC thread before.

So, is this true, that the only way to play a friendly match with particular person (a guy from here for example), is to go
"3,2,1... Search!!!" ...and hope for the best?
Is there no share play, or invites, or something?
Why don't you believe me? :D It's true. But at least the 3-2-1 technique works.

One thing positive to say is that Im seeing a good and realistic amount of offsides in ALL linda of circunstances, rather the attacker is caught offsied on a counter attack or even after a short pass inside the box.

The way also midfielders support the defence, stand in front of the big área blocking shots with different and realistic reaction animations is also great and reminds me of pés 2017 demo a bit. This is a extremely importante aspect because as It is hard to creat space for a shot You feel forced to pass the ball around and be patient, like in real life.

I posted a few pages back that Universidad de Chile was taken off the demo lineup for an unknown reason. Turns out that today's press conference (about the club, not any games) shows "KONAMI" on the press room thingy in the background.

The club had a partnership agreement with EA Sports that ended on July 31st so it's pretty much confirmed that they're moving over to PES, if exclusively however we will not know until announced officially.

67924163_551336922066767_396202177481146368_n.png

That might be your preference but it's hardly an absolute rule, and it's contrary to the evolution of game design, which is to give more control and agency to players, not less.

And it's tough pill to swallow coming from FIFA. Reminds me of the political truism that once you give people freedoms and services, it's political suicide to take them away. This is kinda how it feels coming from FIFA, even if the end result on the pitch might be more polished and realistic.
I’ve been torn for a long time over the best way to implement player shielding.

How Fifa allows you to press a button to initiate it is great when moving at slow speeds, but it can be abused and creates some ridiculous animations if you’re sprinting and suddenly stop dead and press it.

In contrast PES can be infuriating that it doesn’t always occur when you hope it will, but it also can’t be abused or used in a manner it’s not designed for.

Is there a way to step on the ball like when u tapped R2 in pes19? cant find a way now.
Double tapping R1 stops dead, holding R1 makes you face the goal.

One nice thing about this is you can be sprinting, and if you let go of left stick but keep holding sprint you’ll automatically turn to face the goal. You don’t need to press it again.

I’m a big fan of controls that seamlessly link such as this. Just a shame there’s so little of it.

Last edited:
Saw this on Twitter. Not a ton of changes to ML, mostly cosmetic. One can hope scripting/team spirit are addressed along with regens...I like that they’ve actually added something to BAL. Proper youth set up would have been nice too

Attachments

• 275E3A27-921B-44E7-857F-3B6FC6A652A8.png
    275E3A27-921B-44E7-857F-3B6FC6A652A8.png
    457 KB · Views: 68
I feel like there's a possibility this was the strategy from the go with Konami.

Call it E-football but make it more sim based than ever before. Cater to both audiences. We don't care wtf it's called as long as it plays well. It could be called mustard turkey sandwich 3000 for all we care.

If Fifa doesn't live up to expectations, that crowd will eventually try this year's iteration out. And if the gameplay's good, they'll stick with it.

I kind of don't want this to be the greatest soccer game of all time because I don't want to tell my kids something called "eFootball PES 2020" was the best football game ive ever played :CONFUSE:

Only really gotten to grips with the demo tonight. Without wishing to sound like a wank (I've been called worse, with good cause) is it not all too... easy?

Started off at Professional, playing against teams of an equal star rating or better. Moved up the difficulties to Super Star. Even tried my first game ever with full manual passing and shooting and won. I was but a casual PES2019 player too.

Yes, yes, five minute games and all that but it doesn't entice me so far. One-twos and chipped through balls are still totally overpowered and it's still very easy to dispossess the CPU.

I haven't yet played the demo (and won't likely for another week due to work travel :( ), but my 2c on the shielding discussion. I think it would be something they could implement in both ways and have a menu option for it.

Basic Shielding - Occurs automatically and is moderately effective but can be overpowered more easily by Advanced CPU difficulties or seasoned human players

Advanced Shielding - Triggered by the player using a button input/combination of inputs and is more effective than the basic setting.

both would of course have to have their limitations and possibly even their drawbacks, such as quicker stamina depletion if overused (similar to sprinting).

My problem isn't with how effective it is - shielding seems to be working more or less really well like you say - it's just that I hate that this isn't something we control.

For my tastes, there's just way too much assistance in too many aspects of gameplay. It looks brilliant and plays really well, I just want to the be one responsible for it, not the AI.
I’ve been saying exactly this for the past couple of years but it’s the direction Konami has decided to go and I’d be surprised if it changed. It all adds to the “script”. Still enjoying the demo mind you

Only really gotten to grips with the demo tonight. Without wishing to sound like a wank (I've been called worse, with good cause) is it not all too... easy?

Started off at Professional, playing against teams of an equal star rating or better. Moved up the difficulties to Super Star. Even tried my first game ever with full manual passing and shooting and won. I was but a casual PES2019 player too.

Yes, yes, five minute games and all that but it doesn't entice me so far. One-twos and chipped through balls are still totally overpowered and it's still very easy to dispossess the CPU.

It has already been confirmed by Adam that the difficulty in general will be ramped up for the full release.

I think they have basically put out an accessible taster to the market to try and catch as many fish as possible (and why wouldn't you). They also may be waiting to make any final tweaks to the AI until some feedback starts rolling in.

It has already been confirmed by Adam that the difficulty in general will be ramped up for the full release.

I think they have basically put out an accessible taster to the market to try and catch as many fish as possible (and why wouldn't you). They also may be waiting to make any final tweaks to the AI until some feedback starts rolling in.

which is precisely what they did last year and makes me wince when i see the posters who say their pre-ordering based on the demo and that "this game is great".

this update to the demo says players should expect these types of update in the final release i.e, you had the demo - you knew there were patches and so you knew full well what you were getting - you have no basis for complaint.

and when they do this - i actually begin to agree with them and my sympathy/allegiance for/with the player base lessens.

I feel like there's a possibility this was the strategy from the go with Konami.

Call it E-football but make it more sim based than ever before. Cater to both audiences. We don't care wtf it's called as long as it plays well. It could be called mustard turkey sandwich 3000 for all we care.

If Fifa doesn't live up to expectations, that crowd will eventually try this year's iteration out. And if the gameplay's good, they'll stick with it.

I kind of don't want this to be the greatest soccer game of all time because I don't want to tell my kids something called "eFootball PES 2020" was the best football game ive ever played :CONFUSE:
Lol @ mustard turkey sandwich 3000. It's even better than efootball Pes 2020 I'll tell you that much.

Please do! I love nutmegs!

Uhh... you just reminded me about the time PES 2016 was released and importing functionality was introduced everybody, I mean literally everybody was going MENTAL here on EW saying importing kits made gameplay faster.
It was INSANITY. I may have been among those people. I can't recall.

Don't know if it is close enough to appreciate it ^^.

Also scored this beauty this morning

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom