eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would u play on the normal long camera when u can select the game changing stadium cam lol

It's not complicated really, some people just find it easier to play with a more standard camera. A few pages back i mentioned how much i'm enjoying a custom Wide cam i've made (0 zoom/5 height/0 angle). The new one is great for watching, and i can understand why it's getting so much love from so many people (more power to them), but i find it hard to play with, i personally don't like cameras that are too zoomed out, even though they make it easier to see runs and switch plays from one side of the pitch to the other, i find it hard to make tackles, compared to a camera that is closer to the action, i also like to have as little angle as possible because to me it makes playing FUMA easier.

I guess it's all just a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Always feels like excuse-making when I read this. It's no excuse. It's been a problem for long enough (more than a few years) for them to dedicate some time to it. Too many times we do this.
I get that but at least we have great gameplay now rather than both being crap. Maybe one day we will have sound as well as fellow Japanese devs PD hired the Sound Engineer from T10 for GTS and it made a massive difference! So if Konami could entice that EA employee responsible for Fifa's sound.... :BOP: (not going to happen though is it lol)

Always feels like excuse-making when I read this. It's no excuse. It's been a problem for long enough (more than a few years) for them to dedicate some time to it. Too many times we do this.
Couldn't agree more.
I mean, if I can make an entrance audio mod in one day that was better than what Konami can do, considering they actually have someone who's job it is to this stuff, then something is wrong.

Or this guy made this post a year ago and he made better match ambient noise in just 10minutes. (he knows he's got 'tinny' sounds when the ball is kicked but the focus is the crowd, in particular when a goal is scored)

I get that but at least we have great gameplay now rather than both being crap. Maybe one day we will have sound as well as fellow Japanese devs PD hired the Sound Engineer from T10 for GTS and it made a massive difference! So if Konami could entice that EA employee responsible for Fifa's sound.... :BOP: (not going to happen though is it lol)

I'm firm believer that gameplay should ALWAYS be the main focus, but that shouldn't affect the audio as it won't be the same person working on it (unless Konami really has fallen on hard times and the janitor is also the sound engineer!)

It seems ridicuous to put so much effort into making sure the stadiums of their partnered clubs are perfectly detailed, and the players look pristine, just to then completely skip over the atmosphere. Anyone who's ever watched a game live knows the atmosphere is THE most important part. You could have the most incredible, massive stadium in the world, but if the crowd aren't cheering it may as well be a bike shed (like Arsenal :LOL:)

All they need to do is set up a mic in the Nou Camp and record the crowd singing.

Last edited:
I've done something similar with Pogba then scored a goal, and I've no idea how I did it :BLINK:

I may have recorded it. If I did, I'll upload it later.

Please do! I love nutmegs!

I can see the yearly 'option files affect gameplay' conspiracy on the horizon... :WHISTLE:

Uhh... you just reminded me about the time PES 2016 was released and importing functionality was introduced everybody, I mean literally everybody was going MENTAL here on EW saying importing kits made gameplay faster.
It was INSANITY. I may have been among those people. I can't recall.

Konami cannot do sound, EA cannot do gameplay. I know which i'd rather have if it came down to picking one. Crazy it has to be one or the other but that is where we are at right now unless EA knock it out of the park which looks unlikely with the focus being on Volta and FUT for this year.
It's still a complete mystery what their current process is in regards to producing audio for the game today but here's an interesting glimpse into their methodology back in 2010 while developing PES 2011.

Bear in mind this is probably more for a team building/fun activity exercise for journo's & media invited to Konami so it may actually be a bit more sophisticated than this for all i know but at least the sentiment is there, that back then it was very much low resource and improv heavy i guess which explains why it never had that researched, authentic feel, why it never truly felt like a living breathing audience.

I hope this is a bug in the demo but the ref no longer points towards the corner flag or goal, when the ball goes out for a corner or a goal kick. He just keeps walking when the ball goes behind the line. This has been in the game for ages, surely they didn't take it out deliberately.

Also, slightly off-topic but sort of related.
Will be nice to see if Dybala finally joins Manchester United, and Leroy Sane joins Bayern Munich.

I think that IF I decided to buy the game (should gamepace and response times stay the same as in the demo), I might start my ML as Bayern. From zero to hero.

No, tge
It's still a complete mystery what their current process is in regards to producing audio for the game today but here's an interesting glimpse into their methodology back in 2010 while developing PES 2011.

Bear in mind this is probably more for a team building/fun activity exercise for journo's & media invited to Konami so it may actually be a bit more sophisticated than this for all i know but at least the sentiment is there, that back then it was very much low resource and improv heavy i guess which explains why it never had that researched, authentic feel, why it never truly felt like a living breathing audience.
They actually did and quite possibly still do this for some of the audio. Crowd audio is one of my biggest issues with PES and has been for years. My enjoyment of the game would probably rise 50% or so If they got their act together and realised it's essential to a football game.

Any idea how it's done Ameppe?
This guy said he will show how it's done with the next Pes Academy video. There is a clip showing it here.

Weedens commented that it's done this way: while your player is stationary hold the left stick in diagonal.

Last edited:
Said it before and I'll say it again, get rid of the commentary completely, it's always been absolute trash anyway. Spend the resources wasted on paying for multiple commentators in multiple languages on crowd sounds instead.

Most difficult PES I have played in a long time. The angles are different, the AI closes the passing lanes into the half spaces much more, and the small pockets in the 10 area are very difficult to access, both right sided mid and left sided mid. Those are the spaces I like to occupy and access to then turn and attack the defence through the channel (assist area) and then cross it into the golden zone (finishing area). The CF is now no longer free to receive the ball comfortably, he has to either drop in as a false 9, or stay in his position to attract defenders and see if we can get the number 10's to have more space when receiving the ball. But then again, the forwards close those passing lanes much more effectively.

I am trying to find the right angles, which I already had down to a tea in PES 2019.

I am a FUMA player, so it makes it even more difficult.

Having a hard time boys, having a hard time.

This PES is like the old classics for me in that I wasn’t sure about it at first but every single time I play it, it grows on me more and more.

I really like it. Whether the final version has enough content to keep me going I don’t know. But this plays a damn good game of football.

I was already bored of the PES 2019 demo after a few days last year.

One thing I haven’t mentioned is that the sound design is still absolutely appalling on PES.

*Entrances are quiet
*There is NO cheering when away teams score
*Crowd chants are far, far too quiet
*When you score the crowd cheers for literally only two seconds

For all it’s obvious improvements the sound & atmosphere is still rubbish.
sound and atmosphere has been a plague ever since this series came, something the other game just does so well, the other game match day presentation is just sublime, it is really intriguing these comparisons with both games, which is better at than the other

This guy said he will show how it's done with the next Pes Academy video. There is a clip showing it here.

Weedens commented that it's done this way: while your player is stationary hold the left stick in diagonal.

Thanks a lot for the heads up. Hope the results are the same as before, the video makes it look like the knock-on isn't quite so far.

Edit: The LS diagonal doesn't seem to do anything.

Last edited:
This PES is like the old classics for me in that I wasn’t sure about it at first but every single time I play it, it grows on me more and more.
That's the sign of a great game, Remember when the PS2 version would release and the first thing you would think would be "oh shit what have they done they have ruined it this, it is broken" few days later/1 week later once used to all the nauences and it all comes together - "best PES ever"

Last edited:

I really like it. Whether the final version has enough content to keep me going I don’t know. But this plays a damn good game of football.

I was already bored of the PES 2019 demo after a few days last year.

With an enhanced ML with hopefully non game breaking scripting, then this could very well be the case.

Seems to be a lot more people going for day 1 purchases this year, a thing I haven’t done since PES 13

Hey, i found the menu artist, shes a daisy.
Yayoi.png

:LMAO:

Thanks a lot for the heads up. Hope the results are the same as before, the video makes it look like the knock-on isn't quite so far.

Edit: The LS diagonal doesn't seem to do anything.
I would wait for Weedens showing it in the upcoming video tutorial explaining the changed controls.

Couldn't agree more.
I mean, if I can make an entrance audio mod in one day that was better than what Konami can do, considering they actually have someone who's job it is to this stuff, then something is wrong.

Or this guy made this post a year ago and he made better match ambient noise in just 10minutes. (he knows he's got 'tinny' sounds when the ball is kicked but the focus is the crowd, in particular when a goal is scored)

I'm firm believer that gameplay should ALWAYS be the main focus, but that shouldn't affect the audio as it won't be the same person working on it (unless Konami really has fallen on hard times and the janitor is also the sound engineer!)

It seems ridicuous to put so much effort into making sure the stadiums of their partnered clubs are perfectly detailed, and the players look pristine, just to then completely skip over the atmosphere. Anyone who's ever watched a game live knows the atmosphere is THE most important part. You could have the most incredible, massive stadium in the world, but if the crowd aren't cheering it may as well be a bike shed (like Arsenal :LOL:)

All they need to do is set up a mic in the Nou Camp and record the crowd singing.
iv'e been saying for years, these people who are in charge at Konami/PES, have no clue how important great sound is for there sales. Just think how great it would be to have real commentary, and stadium sounds, it would be a game changer. I hope we see it soon.

i kinda did it when standing and pressing directional on LS and same time press and hold R1 (sprint)! the player lays it off a meter and follows! this gives enough time and some space to release a rocket. not really the same as before because its done faster. the old thing had a slower animation that followed.

Last edited:
Most difficult PES I have played in a long time. The angles are different, the AI closes the passing lanes into the half spaces much more, and the small pockets in the 10 area are very difficult to access, both right sided mid and left sided mid. Those are the spaces I like to occupy and access to then turn and attack the defence through the channel (assist area) and then cross it into the golden zone (finishing area). The CF is now no longer free to receive the ball comfortably, he has to either drop in as a false 9, or stay in his position to attract defenders and see if we can get the number 10's to have more space when receiving the ball. But then again, the forwards close those passing lanes much more effectively.

I am trying to find the right angles, which I already had down to a tea in PES 2019.

I am a FUMA player, so it makes it even more difficult.

Having a hard time boys, having a hard time.

I have to agree with this although not playing FUMA. I find it quite hard to create chances in this game because passing lanes are often closed down well by the AI and passes are not as perfect as usual.

Goal scoring chances for me mostly occour in counter attacking scenarios like this:

RE cheap freekicks, this animation is dedicated to @Chris Davies :LMAO:

Except for that cheap one there, did anyone else find the ref to be more lenient in Boca vs River games?

And to round off free kick someone mentioned not liking that the cam stays with the free kick taker. Did you know that pressing R3 before taking it changes the angle and goes to gameplay cam just after the ball is kicked? Like this:
I'd prefer if it went to gameplay cam earlier but it helps a bit compared to when it stays behind the striker.

I don't think pressing R2 does anything when shielding the ball to be honest.
I can't find any instances where the player shields the ball when wouldn't do so without it.

Yeah, I can't see any evidence that shielding is anything but contextual. I'm getting used to it but it's kinda driving me nuts that we have to rely on AI assistance for this.

Reactions: OBH
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom