eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my sanity... (I've said this a few times, but I don't think anyone has tried it yet.)

Play as Vasco da Gama (one-star) vs Barcelona (five-star) on Superstar, and tell me they really hammer you (not just the scoreline, because it's only a short match - but in terms of possession, in terms of how many more shots they have than you).

Because this is my huge fear. All the new stuff is great (on-the-ball, PES 2019 was great too) - but playing as the worst team, I dominate the match, and playing as the best team, it's not really any different.

Gameplay is great, but - as with PES 2019 - great gameplay is useless if the AI isn't as good (although at least 2019 was a real challenge)!

"but I don't think anyone has tried it yet"
Challenge accepted, time for a little experiment.
I did this because my classes only start tomorrow so i have a lot of free time today and nothing to do.
I've played 5 matches on Superstar, PA1, Basic everything.
Me as Vasco, A.I. as Barcelona.

I set Vasco up in a 3-5-2, because it's the formation i like the most in-game and in real life.
GK:Sidão(75)
CB: Ricardo (73) Werley(71) Luiz (71)
CDM: Raul(76) Fellipe (69)
LM: Henrique (66) RM: Yago (76)
CAM: Andrey (70)
CF: Caio (64) Bruno (69)
The tactics in attack were: Possession, Short pass, Wide, Mantain formation, 3 bar support range.
The tactics in defence were: All out defense, Wide, Agressive, 3 bar defensive line, 7 bar density.
Advanced instructions were: Centring targets, Wing rotation, Wing back, Deep defensive line.
I know the main problem here is that i made a strategy focused on crossing when i chose strikers that aren't too tall, but to make up for that i tried my best to focus on low crosses. I should have picked other strikers, but due to me knowing the Vasco team somewhat, because i'm Brazilian and see them in the media a lot, i ended up chosing players with my personal bias towards them in real life.

Also, just to clarify, i'm by no means a good player, i always get destroyed by PES 2018's A.I. on Legend even with PA1, and have a hard time on Top Player with PA0.

Match 1: Barcelona 0 x 0 Vasco (I'm gonna show the stats in this order for every match, A.I. first, then me)
Possession: 36% x 64%
Shots(On target): 1(1) x 1(0)
Fouls(Offside): 3(0) x 2(1)
Passes(Completed): 38(33) x 78(61)
There are other stats, but i think these are the most important.

Match 2: Barcelona 1 x 0 Vasco
Possession: 41% x 59%
Shots(On target): 6(5) x 0(0)
Fouls(Offside): 0(0) x 2(0)
Passes(Completed): 43(34) x 64(57)

Match 3: Barcelona 1 x 0 Vasco
Possession: 39% x 61%
Shots(On target): 3(3) x 0(0)
Passes(Completed): 44(34) x 66(57)

Match 4: Barcelona 0 x 0 Vasco
Possession: 43% x 57%
Shots(On target): 0(0) x 0(0)
Fouls(Offside): 3(0) x 1(0)
Passes(Completed): 44(33) x 65(55)

Match 5: Barcelona 1x0 Vasco
Shots(On target): 4(1) x 0(0)
Fouls(Offside): 0(0) x 3(1)
Passes(Completed): 46(37) x 63(54)

So yeah, i dominated possession with ease, passed the ball a lot more, but lost most matches and couldn't score a single goal. However, just because i barely had shots it doesn't mean i didn't have any chances, most of my low crosses were blocked and sometimes a cross or low cross didn't result in a shot because my player couldn't reach the ball, what i'm trying to say is, i felt like i was on equal level to them, i went foward, the wings especially had a lot of space and i'm sure that a player better than me would use this space very efficiently. Barcelona played very direct, which is similar to most Fox Engine PES games unfortunately, however in the final 3rd they had the most variety of any A.I. in a while which was nice to see. Also think the amount of fouls were pretty nice and the misplaced passes were wonderful too.

Overall, i see what Chris is saying, while this demo has a lot of positives, the A.I. on Superstar doesn't represent the difference of a 5 star team and a 2.5 star team very well, i lost now, but with practice i could probably beat Barcelona without too much trouble, and i've been playing the demo for 2 days, in a year it would become stale, we can only hope Legend difficulty is better or that the tradition of ML being harder than Exhibition matches remains.

Last edited:
"but I don't think anyone has tried it yet"
Challenge accepted, time for a little experiment.
I did this because my classes only start tomorrow so i have a lot of free time today and nothing to do.
I've played 5 matches on Superstar, PA1, Basic everything.
Me as Vasco, A.I. as Barcelona.

I set Vasco up in a 3-5-2, because it's the formation i like the most in-game and in real life.
GK:Sidão(75)
CB: Ricardo (73) Werley(71) Luiz (71)
CDM: Raul(76) Fellipe (69)
LM: Henrique (66) RM: Yago (76)
CAM: Andrey (70)
CF: Caio (64) Bruno (69)
The tactics in attack were: Possession, Short pass, Wide, Mantain formation, 3 bar support range.
The tactics in defence were: All out defense, Wide, Agressive, 3 bar defensive line, 7 bar density.
Advanced instructions were: Centring targets, Wing rotation, Wing back, Deep defensive line.
I know the main problem here is that i made a strategy focused on crossing when i chose strikers that aren't too tall, but to make up for that i tried my best to focus on low crosses. I should have picked other strikers, but because i know the Vasco team somewhat, because i'm Brazilian and see them in the media a lot, i ended up chosing players with my personal bias towards them in real life.

Also, just to clarify, i'm by no means a good player, i always get destroyed by PES 2018's A.I. on Legend even with PA1, and have a hard time on Top Player with PA0.

Match 1: Barcelona 0 x 0 Vasco (I'm gonna show the stats in this order for every match, A.I. first, then me)
Possession: 36% x 64%
Shots(On target): 1(1) x 1(0)
Fouls(Offside): 3(0) x 2(1)
Passes(Completed): 38(33) x 78(61)
There are other stats, but i think these are the most important.

Match 2: Barcelona 1 x 0 Vasco
Shots(On target): 6(5) x 0(0)
Passes(Completed): 43(34) x 64(57)

Match 3: Barcelona 1 x 0 Vasco
Possession: 39% x 61%
Shots(On target): 3(3) x 0(0)
Passes(Completed): 44(34) x 66(57)

Match 4: Barcelona 0 x 0 Vasco
Possession: 43% x 57%
Shots(On target): 0(0) x 0(0)
Fouls(Offside): 3(0) x 1(0)
Passes(Completed): 44(33) x 65(55)

Match 5: Barcelona 1x0 Vasco
Shots(On target): 4(1) x 0(0)
Fouls(Offside): 0(0) x 3(1)
Passes(Completed): 46(37) x 63(54)

So yeah, i dominated possession with ease, passed the ball a lot more, but lost most matches and couldn't score a single goal. However, just because i barely had shots it doesn't mean i didn't have any chances, most of my low crosses were blocked and sometimes a cross or low cross didn't result in a shot because my player couldn't reach the ball, what i'm trying to say is, i felt like i was on equal level to them, i went foward, the wings especially had a lot of space and i'm sure that a player better than me would use this space very efficiently. Barcelona played very direct, which is similar to most Fox Engine PES games unfortunately, however in the final 3rd they had the most variety of any A.I. in a while which was nice to see. Also think the amount of fouls were pretty nice and the misplaced passes were wonderful too.

Overall, i see what Chris is saying, while this demo has a lot of positives, the A.I. on Superstar doesn't represent the difference of a 5 star team and a 2.5 star team very well, i lost now, but with practice i could probably beat Barcelona without too much trouble, and i've been playing the demo for 2 days, in a year it would become stale, we can only hope Legend difficulty is better or that the tradition of ML being harder than Exhibition matches remains.
that is one extensive test!! appriciate the effort doing so and giving us all the little details! :TU:

Reactions: MKC
Seems like the command list tips are fairly useless, I can't get multiple step-overs right.

Hell, I can barely get one step-over right. The command list says the input is the same for all the moves.

Have you got auto-feint on? It's on by default and it overrides the command list.

Too early still for me to really form an oppinion, but I do know for sure that I do NOT like the new camera. It's too far away even when zoomed in x10.

Really? Easily the best thing from the PES 2020 demo, for me.

The new controls really need adjusting on my side. I like a challenge. :)

@ all PC player with mods: how does the A.I. play with more match time?!?!

Well, I think the AI will become easier and easier as time goes on, because as it is right now... even on Superstar level they are not super challenging. But, I did lose a few of the few games I got to play yesterday. Arsenal beat my butt up (and I was Barcelona!). Aubameyang was unstoppable, man.

Played 15 minute games. Felt like the best thing to do. 20 was a little too much for me.

Speaking of this... Play as Man United at home, with some headphones on.

There's one chant - which sounds like "we're Man United, we do what we want" - that's very clearly been recorded at an actual match. It's INCREDIBLY faint, but it's there, and sounds great (or it would, if it was at the right volume, so that you could hear it).

However. There's also one very very obviously "generated" chant, where the crowd are are singing a tune with no words (I *think* this is the tune).

It is absolutely hilarious, seriously. It doesn't sound like a crowd, it sounds... Well, I don't know how to describe it. Like a handful of drunks making non-human noises? Just keep an ear out for it.

Visually the game is incredible now (bar the generic faces). The audio, though... Whoever's in charge of that should have been fired years ago. I can't think of a single bit of audio that's good - actually, I can, the sound of the post being hit by the ball. That's it.
Yeah I know the chant you mean :LOL:

I expect nothing less than Konami though.

Demo comes everybody love it. Than full less love it but still love it, after the first patch don’t like it and after the second patch hate it. I Love Evo-Web :D. You can’t find another site with this kind of community :APPLAUD:

Then the problem isn't Evoweb, its arcadish updates.

I've readed a twit by Durandil that Dt18 it's dummy, so no gameplay patchs this year...:BRICK:

However I'm really enjoying demo now, crossing fingers Konami won't mess this masterpiece.

Really? Easily the best thing from the PES 2020 demo, for me.

Well, I think the AI will become easier and easier as time goes on, because as it is right now... even on Superstar level they are not super challenging. But, I did lose a few of the few games I got to play yesterday. Arsenal beat my butt up (and I was Barcelona!). Aubameyang was unstoppable, man.

Played 15 minute games. Felt like the best thing to do. 20 was a little too much for me.
looking over to the PC guys so (positivly) jealous at their match time mod! thats really a nice thing!
wish i could play more than 5 min. to test the AI even more!

so every info regarding the AI, from (PC)users playing longer matches, is very welcome to me!

on manual i got beaten a few times on professional difficulty. only they are to tame right now when running (varied) attacks at my own goal!

Okay, call me crazy but I do feel that the US version is a bit more responsive with the new right stick finesse dribble. Can someone double check this? I don't won't it to be true, it would make no sense!!
Which platform?

Dunno if the issue with the extremly loose kits were mentioned here, but Konami has the solution inside the game already, just need to set all "modern day" kits to "tight":

EAyBxIcU8AEYIYT

EAyBxIiVAAA60R0

EAytpVgUEAAtyUz

theyre tight but not super tight like kappa or old puma kits, they look spot on with what we see in current day football. Makes player models look 100 times better.

Seems like the command list tips are fairly useless, I can't get multiple step-overs right.

Hell, I can barely get one step-over right. The command list says the input is the same for all the moves.

turn 'Auto Feint' off

Step Overs aren't great right now, similar to PES 2019 but having to hold R2 everytime is a little 'off' for me. Works better with designated 'scissors feint' players.

Played the demo on full manual. Great game better than 19 in all details. That says it all. Roll on the full game!!!
Since i switched to Manual on PES 2019 i haven't looked back. It's not even difficult to play, Just requires a little more concentration/attention to what you're doing. But it does the ball physics a lot more justice too. You can't ping pong 1st time passes around like you can on PA because the ball just simply runs out of momentum and starts spinning like crazy. On PA1-3 the balls inertia seems to reset every time it touches a new player so it just comes off like some kind of "Jai-alai transferring a ball of energy around the field like a bliztball" or something.

Plus you're encouraged to hold the ball longer, Watch movements of team mates and even dare to dribble more. It forces to play actual football. Even shooting as an actual organic dopamine response. You shoot in real life, You trust your own ability and accuracy, It's just down to circumstance - You don't know for certain where it's going once it leaves your boot. On assisted it's just some russian roulette algorithm that decides if it's your turn for top bins, Sometimes it goes the opposite side of the goal you intended to aim at.

I found the misskicks are even more pronounced on 2020 with manual controls too.

As good as a lot of the animations are why can't Konami seem to make the R2 shot look as pleasing on the eye as FIFA. Honestly it just looks so unnatural & awkward in most instances. I find it so jarring I don't really use much & haven't for years.
I'm glad someone else appreciates this too. The animation and it's intensity just doesn't match the flight patch and trajectory of the ball a lot of the time.

As good as a lot of the animations are why can't Konami seem to make the R2 shot look as pleasing on the eye as FIFA. Honestly it just looks so unnatural & awkward in most instances. I find it so jarring I don't really use much & haven't for years.

The strange thing is, the contextual R2 shots that happen without prompt look fantastic, I don't get it?
Yeah it is one thing i dislike about the demo. Doesnt look crap all of the time but most. 1 on 1 v Keeper and a low finesse pass him looks great but outside the box it just looks odd.

Dunno if the issue with the extremly loose kits were mentioned here, but Konami has the solution inside the game already, just need to set all "modern day" kits to "tight":

EAyBxIcU8AEYIYT

EAyBxIiVAAA60R0

EAytpVgUEAAtyUz

theyre tight but not super tight like kappa or old puma kits, they look spot on with what we see in current day football. Makes player models look 100 times better.

How do you do this feature

can anyone get super cancel to work on demo? when i do it looks like command has beenr ecieved but player still ends up doing the original pass

also passes still go randomly wrong way, this is unforgivable

Played over 16 hours the last 2 days.
I personally absolutely adore it.

- Animations feel like 2 times smoother, on PS4 the whole flow felt smoother versus my 144hz gameplay PES2019 on PC. So I was really flabbergasted. Now today I played on 144hz on PC and everything just clicks, its so mega smooth and the best football experience I have
- Right stick dribbling did not click for me and its hard to get rid of the automatism of the old button but I absolutely adore Right stick close control now! Its so smooth and you have more responsiveness and quicker freedom on where you want to go, I love opening up in a 1 square meter of space now, definitely a skill gap there and Messi is an absolute wizzard, I can make space where I cant make space.
- I feel really weird about it but the ball physics as of this demo. Super loose and so lovely, feels like a little sandbox to me
- To me basically everything improved massively, even stuff like the through ball trajectories. But also the way the player connects with the passes, the awareness of where the ball is and the instant flow on there, I hated PES2019 in that regard as everytime you did that the player would like ''restart'' his run when connecting with the ball in terms of speed.
- Keepers have some crazy new animations, had so many of them like getting stuck in the net to finally some crazy animations during 1 on 1s where they come out.
- Shooting is way more innacurate and the next step of positioning yourself more, releasing the sprint button just for a small amount of time can easily make you allign your shots better which I love
- All the new header animations and interceptions were really needed for the new close dribbling + tight possession stat because thats the counter thing. Timing your defenses right.
- To me the refs are really good. Personal opinion, Feels a bit like PES5 but far from that kind of ''I whistle for everything''. They still let a lot go but I finally get red cards when people foul mega harshly at times! Had 4 today in total.
- Graphics are upped again, better shaders, more poly's. The 3d grass on set pieces stop me from breaking immersion as set pieces always looked so bland with the full 2d textured flat pitch (on PS4 pro and PC, PS4 standard is way less detail and still the flat pitch)
- Early crosses, Normal lofted passes, cheeky through balls, hard ground through balls etc etc feels so good. Im even enjoying just switching play without keeping the ball by how the ball trajectories are. It just feels so good to me.
- The new player models feel really right to me even though in contrast they feel bulkier but comparing to real life actually looks really well.
- Cloth physics, pants moving (but not like a flag like some games use to do as theyre proud of cloth physics), Shirts moving, showing bellies at times. I like it tbh, it works. Not super special
- PHYSICALITY! Big upgrade in this department, theyre rubbing eachother way less. so many solutions in the animation department and I love that you can double tap x to push someone or drag someone along when your not in reach for the final solution with a yellow card as punishment.

I know I'm buzzing, but thats because I am. It feels so much like a real football match to me and I never expected so much change ever in a Konami game, its so not Konami like to me that they even went to make the fake league city names. But also even updating some squads in the demo with some transfers, theyre always lacking on all that stuff.

Personally played PES since the PS2 days and I had 10,000 hours of PES6 in 4 years as PES2008 onwards sucked so much. I played hundreds of hours of the shitty PES games and to me those are generation PES2008 to PES2014. I really never saw the appeal of PES2013, Even played it again (All the games in a row) and its just so broken to me. And PES2019 is my first PES thats in my heart again as a really fun PES and therefore instead of like 200/300 hours I clocked 2500 hours of PES2019. But this PES2020 doesnt look and feel like PES2019 at all to me in a positive way, Huge upgrades around the board to me.

I really hope this balance and freedom is kept in the fullgame. Atleast not completely different
The things I hope they fix is :
- On PC the home player has 2fps during pre scene menu and its ridiculous
- The Super cancel buttons to cancel your action just dont work sometimes, The pass or whatever will still happen. This is something I use so much and kind of a basic of the game and now I just misplace passes or pass at weird spots at times so i'm kind of handicapped lmao. Should really be fixed, basic gameplay feature

If you dont like my positivity, i'm so sorry I've been part of Evo-Web for such a long time and Loved making the Online transferpatch for everybody for PES6 on PC back in the day. Being positive about the direction the game goes these years versus the times I really did not like the game for such a long time... I just sometimes feel scared to give my two cents on here. Simply how I feel and my opinion and wanted to share :P

Love y'all <3

Even though I don't love it (at least, yet), I do agree with many of your claims, mate.

But hey, I loved PES 2018 at first. Absolutely loved it. Yet I ended up being extremely disappointed and sort of... angry at myself after a few months for fooling myself, or because I didn't see the glaring issues with it right away. So, I'll take this "I don't love it now - But I'm hoping it'll grow on me as time goes on" philosophy any day! :D

Can You imagine efootball 2020 with Fifa chants,banners and commentary?
The most annoying thing is that it should be like that anyway. No excuses for the appalling in game atmosphere these days. I will never get my head around the fact it's overlooked every single year. They'd only have to do it once & could then leave it for a few iterations but they're not interested at all.

In the previous PES games I would typically receive passes with R2 since I like to stop the ball and face the goal. How do you do that now? I see that R2 is for letting the ball go through now.

Can You imagine efootball 2020 with Fifa chants,banners and commentary?
Really winds me up that they don't work on this. I just don't see what the excuse is and it adds SO much to the experience. especially chants/atmosphere. Can forgive commentary and it must be hard but the atmosphere isn't affected by licenses and shouldn't be difficult to solve.

I happen to love this community with a passion. We're largely open-minded, fair, and passionate about PES. I love to read people's excitement about new features and how much they love the demo, as much as I enjoy reading painfully constructed critiques. This is my favourite website on the internet.

So I hope you're not being sarcastic here. It's pretty much an accepted fact that all football games get patched to death to suit their biggest money-generators (i.e. online players who buy microtransactions) - and you won't find it being discussed in as much detail anywhere else.
I know what you mean. Agreed. Sarcastic? Maybe a little but in good way. Why? Because im user who been here more than 12 years.

In the previous PES games I would typically receive passes with R2 since I like to stop the ball and face the goal. How do you do that now? I see that R2 is for letting the ball go through now.
Aha! A fellow creature of habit - This was a struggle for me too.

It's like waking up in the morning with arms for legs and legs for arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom