eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I'm yet to get bored of this demo.

If they mess up the retail version, I'll just keep playing this all year for my football fix.

Yeah....even I like the game, I don´t really urge to play the demo.
I rather wanna play the full game in hope of them not changing anything for worse.

But then...since I play on PC...
speed, AI behaviour, first touch error, tactics, fouls, physicality etc...all that can be adjusted there....so I´m not really worried.

But hey....right stick?
What´s with the right stick? What did I miss?

whoever adviced to play River vs. Boca: thank you so much mate!!! :LOVE:
For my sanity... (I've said this a few times, but I don't think anyone has tried it yet.)

Play as Vasco da Gama (one-star) vs Barcelona (five-star) on Superstar, and tell me they really hammer you (not just the scoreline, because it's only a short match - but in terms of possession, in terms of how many more shots they have than you).

Because this is my huge fear. All the new stuff is great (on-the-ball, PES 2019 was great too) - but playing as the worst team, I dominate the match, and playing as the best team, it's not really any different.

Gameplay is great, but - as with PES 2019 - great gameplay is useless if the AI isn't as good (although at least 2019 was a real challenge)!

Yeah....even I like the game, I don´t really urge to play the demo.
I rather wanna play the full game in hope of them not changing anything for worse.

But then...since I play on PC...
speed, AI behaviour, first touch error, tactics, fouls, physicality etc...all that can be adjusted there....so I´m not really worried.

But hey....right stick?
What´s with the right stick? What did I miss?
No idea. Best to check the help section in the game to see what changed, like the game suggested at the beginning.

Gameplay is great, but - as with PES 2019 - great gameplay is useless if the AI isn't as good (although at least 2019 was a real challenge)!

I remember the same kind of fears after 2018 and partially 2019 demos tho. They both ended up being very tough (even if in a kinda cheap way).

Personally I don't find it this easy at all, but I won't argue your experience (can be I'm just bad after all :LOL:). I'm sure for this chapter it will be the same story as the other two above anyway, namely that in the final release and in competitions like ML or Cups and so on it will be very tough to break. I hope they'll be able to keep the CPU more on the human side but more realistically I expect something like 2018, so while there would be boosts and some script here and there, it would also come with physicality, more first touch errors, more stats relevance/variety and all the other good stuff of the demo that I hope they won't tone down.

I can easily see myself play something like this all year.

This is the best recreation of Messi in a game. The fact the I don't have to worry about him getting easily bumped off the ball is amazing. He even has his signature explosive acceleration which allows you to just ghost past players.

For my sanity... (I've said this a few times, but I don't think anyone has tried it yet.)

Play as Vasco da Gama (one-star) vs Barcelona (five-star) on Superstar, and tell me they really hammer you (not just the scoreline, because it's only a short match - but in terms of possession, in terms of how many more shots they have than you).

Because this is my huge fear. All the new stuff is great (on-the-ball, PES 2019 was great too) - but playing as the worst team, I dominate the match, and playing as the best team, it's not really any different.

will do tonight! keep sane, chris!!! :)
but now i'm in fear i might discover something... ;) but lets see.

what i've seen from the AI so far is much better than what i expirienced in 2019! its hard to tell in 5 min matches, but its not doing my head in! what i found, and ill keep an eye on that, top corner direct goals could be replaced with half high curler next to the post. i see these a little to often. but lets observe for a longer period of time to be sure...

tried an online match for the sake of 10 min matches. first one was quiet good (similar settings) because my opponent tried to play actual football! the speed was ok, the lag nearly non existent. the second match was worse connection wise. little hickups and lag... so like i expirienced it the last couple of years. online will not be mine anytime soon, i guess. at least i tried! ;)

Last edited:
I tried this new burger recently, at first it looked really different and tasted pretty good. A few bites in though I noticed it was a bit flaky in the middle, the bun didn’t really press against the meat as tightly as I’d like either. Also found I had to dim the lights in the house a bit too much as the colours of the meat were too bright for my eyes. Still it was a promising burger, kind of wish it had some extra flavour it though.

It’s only a taster really though, the actual burger will be released properly as part of a meal soon. Hopefully they don’t mess around too much, I want some changes made to hold it all together and add a bit of special sauce to it, but I’m scared they’ll just serve it up as general slop just like all their other burgers. I’m also worried that they might not give us any side orders of fries with it, a burger is good an all but I’m expecting a usual offering of a regular meal package to be missing.

Anyway.. I’m pretty hungry.

(Also, I’ll be sure to tweet the restaurant thanking them for allowing me to spend my money on said burger. The meat is back. The bun is ours. Eating is believing and so on)

Can anyone tell me whether Alphonso Davies and Jan-Fiete Arp have also been scanned? I know, it’s a bit obsessive, but I can’t play the demo until Sunday and I need to know..

Had a few more matches in the demo today. Honestly, it keeps growing on me, not to the point where i'm amazed or anything, but definitely to the point where i'm pleasantly surprised, really wish i could play 10 or 15 minute matches to get a better idea and feel for the game though. If we take every Fox Engine PES besides 2014, this is the one with the most fouls by far, the slowest one by far, the most realistic one by far and it's probably going to be the most complete package by far. They are progressing a lot slower and not as well as many would like, for example taking so many years to have more fouls and when they finally do it the implementation is really questionable, but i'm just surprised we got anything at all, i'm hoping they improve it in the final version (Unfortunately i think they'll just remove it altogether, instead of trying to make it work better).

By the way, to the people that are having the same problem i am, of not really liking the new camera much, i've been using a custom Wide cam (0 Zoom. 5 Height. 0 Angle). I've experimented with it on 2015, but there i always thought that the side of the pitch on top of the screen was too far, i don't know if it's placebo but in this game it works beautifully, if only i could zoom out a little bit more...

Can anyone tell me whether Alphonso Davies and Jan-Fiete Arp have also been scanned? I know, it’s a bit obsessive, but I can’t play the demo until Sunday and I need to know..
did not check their faces ingame but the face icon in gameplan was a silly generic one for both players!

I tried this new burger recently, at first it looked really different and tasted pretty good. A few bites in though I noticed it was a bit flaky in the middle, the bun didn’t really press against the meat as tightly as I’d like either. Also found I had to dim the lights in the house a bit too much as the colours of the meat were too bright for my eyes. Still it was a promising burger, kind of wish it had some extra flavour it though.

It’s only a taster really though, the actual burger will be released properly as part of a meal soon. Hopefully they don’t mess around too much, I want some changes made to hold it all together and add a bit of special sauce to it, but I’m scared they’ll just serve it up as general slop just like all their other burgers. I’m also worried that they might not give us any side orders of fries with it, a burger is good an all but I’m expecting a usual offering of a regular meal package to be missing.

Anyway.. I’m pretty hungry.

(Also, I’ll be sure to tweet the restaurant thanking them for allowing me to spend my money on said burger. The meat is back. The bun is ours. Eating is believing and so on)
:LOL:

The argument on twitter regarding the possibility having two different demo builds is really interesting. Claiming and reasoning how would this possible as this would be an error that Konami never happens to do ( like the famous missing transfers, broken 2019 ai) and why would not admit such thing (like correcting an ML screen with photoshop) as it would case an uproar....really interesting.

Despite i truly believe the versions are the same myself this time anyways. And on top Adam said they are so what else would you do besides believe it? But stating such thing never happened and why would you be sceptical is beyond imagination or sanity sorry. Don't see costumers as fools.

"We made mistakes in the past but i assure you this is not the case this time" - that would be enough for me.

Demo comes everybody love it. Than full less love it but still love it, after the first patch don’t like it and after the second patch hate it. I Love Evo-Web :D. You can’t find another site with this kind of community :APPLAUD:
The thing with PES these days is most people love it at first then after a month or two of retail release, people are bored with it due to lack to content.

That’s what I always find anyway. I’ll love it for a while then I’m like “Ok, this awful presentation, crappy crowd chants and playing at the same 3 stadiums is boring now. Onto FIFA...”

The last time I didn’t feel like that was PES 2013 because we had the stadium editor and a deep Master League.

I've played another few hours.

Again.

+ I now love this game. Right Stick is genius. Its a true revolution! The Physics are incredible!
I have been trying to use the right stick alot. Some of the moves and getting away from the defender have been brilliant and brings a smile but a dinosaur like me its quite hard to adapt to it and more often than not i mess it up. Going to keep at it though as it really is amazing when you it right and no need for tricks.

The left stick dribbling seems to be back to its best as the amount of times i have got out of sticky situations just by deft touches with the left.

Day 3 of the demo and i cannot play until after work but all im thinking about is getting back on it. Is this 2005?

It is scary how good it is going to be with mates round.

The last time I didn’t feel like that was PES 2013 because we had the stadium editor and a deep Master League.
Hmm. The deepest ML that I remember I played religiously was 2010. It looked professional, and had all the coaches and staff, plus the sponsors, player loyalty, etc altogether.

That’s what I always find anyway. I’ll love it for a while then I’m like “Ok, this awful presentation, crappy crowd chants and playing at the same 3 stadiums is boring now.”
Speaking of this... Play as Man United at home, with some headphones on.

There's one chant - which sounds like "we're Man United, we do what we want" - that's very clearly been recorded at an actual match. It's INCREDIBLY faint, but it's there, and sounds great (or it would, if it was at the right volume, so that you could hear it).

However. There's also one very very obviously "generated" chant, where the crowd are are singing a tune with no words (I *think* this is the tune).

It is absolutely hilarious, seriously. It doesn't sound like a crowd, it sounds... Well, I don't know how to describe it. Like a handful of drunks making non-human noises? Just keep an ear out for it.

Visually the game is incredible now (bar the generic faces). The audio, though... Whoever's in charge of that should have been fired years ago. I can't think of a single bit of audio that's good - actually, I can, the sound of the post being hit by the ball. That's it.

I'm loving this demo! Played all day yesterday on PS4 and today on PC and having a blast.

However I have no idea why they kept the game length so short for the demo. On PC when I extend the time to 10 - 15 minute games it really opens up and shows you what it has to offer and how it should be experienced. For example subbing on a fresh Rashford in the 75th minute against tiring fullbacks allows you to exploit fatigue that was missing in previous titles. But with shorter 5 minute games it's over before you get to utilise your late subs before full time. I understand it's a demo and Konami probably put short game time to encourage people to buy the full game but they probably would get more sales allowing people to experience the game how it should be properly played as the game flows sooooo much better.

The only thing I hate is the music, the first song that I got sounded like the backup singer was a chicken clucking and it went straight to mute :LOL:

played 8 games online

5 wins 3 draws 0 losses, when there is no scripting i rarely lose! lol

like the physicality and ball feels freer, better shot variation
still some weird battles for ball
less halftime and fulltime goals
tactics matter a bit more due to pace and power attributes

however still have some games where big lug like manzukic cant hold it up at all which is weird
where the fu*k is super cancel gone?
cant get to grips with right stick dribble
and the new camera is terrible,quickly changed back to normal

7.5/10 - definite improvement over pes 19

There's one chant - which sounds like "we're Man United, we do what we want" - that's very clearly been recorded at an actual match. It's INCREDIBLY faint, but it's there, and sounds great (or it would, if it was at the right volume, so that you could hear it).

However. There's also one very very obviously "generated" chant, where the crowd are are singing a tune with no words (I *think* this is the tune).

It is absolutely hilarious, seriously. It doesn't sound like a crowd, it sounds... Well, I don't know how to describe it. Like a handful of drunks making non-human noises? Just keep an ear out for it.

Visually the game is incredible now (bar the generic faces). The audio, though... Whoever's in charge of that should have been fired years ago. I can't think of a single bit of audio that's good - actually, I can, the sound of the post being hit by the ball. That's it.
and the demo is missing the sound when the keeper is parrying a shot at goal!
the goal post ping really is a lovely sound! :)
hard struck shots sound nice too, imo (20+ meter with a lot of time on the ball)!

btw: i like how the animations are expanding when there is time on the ball. if i'm 20+ meter away from goal and no opponent near by, my player swings back his leg so far, really putting power into the shot, then releasing a rocket... that looks so nice. they really lay into the shot! you can see the power the player is putting into it and that takes time to swing the leg!
when i havent had so much space and time the animation was a little shorter (not as short as a regular shot at goal though). its similar to the long high cross animations in 2020. :LOVE:

edit: fake passes and shots are so smooth to do. the cancel of the animation is much better. no need to do it with super cancel. pressing X after the shot/pass is doing it very well now, not taking to much speed of the player! like it.
its the same with receiving a ball when sprinting. this looks smoother as well and the little stop animation from 2019 is nearly gone.

Last edited:

Agreed. Last time sound was decent in PES was 2013 with Spanish teams. they really tried hard that year and i think after with how the lost all those stadiums they have just given up since then.

Boy does the cpu AI park the bus on the demo..Don’t think I’ve had one game where my possession is lower then 70 percent..

Thing is when they do become more offensive things really open up..

Winning a lot of standing tackles now without being penalised(some thought definitely has to be applied interms of when and timing).Strictness of ref certainly factors in but sliding tackles aren’t always penalised.For me the tackling system isnt broken.Plenty of games where I’ve been pulled up for minor infringements and others where the ref has blindly allowed play to continue.

One thing I’ve noticed though is I’m getting to many deflections off the last cpu defender that just falls kindly to my forward for a easy one on one with the keeper.Especially when the opposition back line is stretched or caught slightly out of position.

Overall in my mind though this for me is the best pes in years..The animations,physicality and ball physics are breathtaking,as is the feel,sense of control and general flow.

Still question marks for me over the cpu AI and how it will hold up long term as a offline game.Should be showcased better in a demo.Having it set so 11 men just defend there half the majority of time doesn’t fill me with optimism.

This is where I am at too

I have played as colo-colo against Barcelona a bunch of times and completely agree

Here, some official response Re: different versions.

View attachment 17877

So glad to see such a quick official response, happy to be told that any difference I perceived was in my late-night-addled mind.

Onto the game - has anyone tried the new :square: then :triangle: 'shot feint disguised pass'? I've done a couple but not to any great success. There's potential for some really stunning goals if you master it.

@Emroth 'R2 with right stick' now does some of the skills that were formerly just right stick- roulette, stepovers, gambetta.

Last edited:

We really shouldn't be having sound issues for things like crowd chants and match ambience in 2019. It's absolutely laughable how bad the atmosphere in matches sounds. The pathetic sound when you score as the away team is a total Immersion killer. I mean how hard can it be to get the sound right for a football match in this day & age, such a small fixable detail that would make a huge amount of difference to my enjoyment whilst playing.

As good as a lot of the animations are why can't Konami seem to make the R2 shot look as pleasing on the eye as FIFA. Honestly it just looks so unnatural & awkward in most instances. I find it so jarring I don't really use much & haven't for years.

The strange thing is, the contextual R2 shots that happen without prompt look fantastic, I don't get it?

As good as a lot of the animations are why can't Konami seem to make the R2 shot look as pleasing on the eye as FIFA. Honestly it just looks so unnatural & awkward in most instances. I find it so jarring I don't really use much & haven't for years.

The strange thing is, the contextual R2 shots that happen without prompt look fantastic, I don't get it?

So someone else saw them too.

Seems like the command list tips are fairly useless, I can't get multiple step-overs right.

Hell, I can barely get one step-over right. The command list says the input is the same for all the moves.

I'm loving this demo! Played all day yesterday on PS4 and today on PC and having a blast.

However I have no idea why they kept the game length so short for the demo. On PC when I extend the time to 10 - 15 minute games it really opens up and shows you what it has to offer and how it should be experienced. For example subbing on a fresh Rashford in the 75th minute against tiring fullbacks allows you to exploit fatigue that was missing in previous titles. But with shorter 5 minute games it's over before you get to utilise your late subs before full time. I understand it's a demo and Konami probably put short game time to encourage people to buy the full game but they probably would get more sales allowing people to experience the game how it should be properly played as the game flows sooooo much better.

The only thing I hate is the music, the first song that I got sounded like the backup singer was a chicken clucking and it went straight to mute :LOL:

Glad that visible fatigue has resurfaced..Felt it in the pes19 demo but it then faded post patch.

Not the best marketing decision in my mind to restrict demo time to just 5 minutes,especially when years ago it was 10 minutes.I’d love maybe a early access option.

The biggest question mark for me is how well the AI will hold up in the final game.Will it be another case of brilliant one minute.Then inconsistent the next.Balls falling to feet of strikers from keeper deflections,stat boosting the cpu so it makes perfect passes that defenders just don’t react to and that overriding feeling that control is taking out of your hands when the cpu decides its going to score whatever you do or don’t do.

This for me has taken the shine off the final product for the last few years..For all the technical advances the final product is let down by oddities and inconsistencies in AI behaviour and unbalanced scripting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom