eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to point out, regarding the whole "don't take away all the fouls" stuff.

I've no problem with lots of fouls - I could even get over the incredibly minor infringements being blown for.

But what I can't deal with (and others have pointed out)... is when you win the ball perfectly and the referee awards a foul.

Many examples out there (and better ones too I'm sure), but here's another.

I've conceded a penalty to decisions like this too many times already.

You are absolutely right that it looks awful, but I'm afraid if the fix will come it will in the form of culling all the fouls in general, not just the wrong ones..

i'm seeing all kinds of nice goals from AI on professional difficulty. Player running speed and pace is the best ever! Fouls have been good on professional difficulty, playing to physical brings out the cards. Camera stadium 10 0 10 is good for me.

I've no problem with lots of fouls - I could even get over the incredibly minor infringements being blown for.

But what I can't deal with (and others have pointed out)... is when you win the ball perfectly and the referee awards a foul.

A bit ot, but this quoted guy seems to be a total FUT freak.

Played it a bunch last night on xbox x. The game looks really nice. Nice pace to the game. The decision to give 5 mins games is absolutely stupid. It ruins any fun you can have. Hurry up PC version!
Overall I liked what I played. The shots are nice too and the ball physics are the best I've ever seen.

Have not played demo yet.
A major trait of the PES’s of old was player individuality with stats being over pronounced to portray differences in players speed, physiciality, technique etc. Newer iterations seems to have diluted such.

For those who have played it is there individuality present like above?

It's really frustrating that console players get the demo literally a day earlier than the pc :/

Last edited:
Played another 10 games or so today online. Really enjoyed all but one where the guy basically gave up at the start and was messing about.. I just practised the new moves and controls for that one! Stand by all my pros in my last post, defending, shooting, weight and momentum, graphics, keepers and fouls all are very good and enjoyable.. I love the randomness of it all, feels a bit more like a football match rather than a high definition version of Pong.

More games though has made me realise the cursor change really sucks, I conceded today with Man Utd where Ashley Young was a yard from the ball after a knock down in the 6 yard box, the game flat out refused to give me control as Mandzukic ran in and tapped it in while I hammered L1 to try and get it to change.. That desperately needs sorting, cursor change should not be weighted in the attacking teams favour!

Pass assist, well I gave PA3 a go (offline) and while it felt easier than PA1, there was error there if I tried to ping it about first time.. So that was nice and refreshing!

Dribbling, starting to get the hang of it, the close control stuff was never my style in games past, more a quick trick and shift past a defender kinda person. But its growing on me. I still need some practice but it is good, just wish they would put stepovers back on L1 like in the good old days, that would be brilliant now!

Shooting and passing felt good today, you really have to be set and balanced to strum a nice shot in, I used to love cutting in from the wing and firing at the far corner, so far all I have managed to do is hit the corner flag essentially, need some more practice.. And as someone else said, those driven long balls are really nice, and a few players do a flatter high through ball which looks lovely!

I did see someone mention the corner flick on cheat on Facebook although haven't seen it myself in game yet.. Another thing that could be sorted if cursor change for the defending side was improved!

Overall, very happy, few tweaks and they could release it tomorrow in my opinion... Just hoping they don't change a lot but as we all know, those that buy the coins make the rules... This will be sped up and all error removed just so little Timmy can score a 20 first time pass tap in with Cristiano Ronaldo (that cost him £300 to get in coins) every 5 minutes of in game time while the rest of us who actually want a football game wonder what the hell the point is!

You are absolutely right that it looks awful, but I'm afraid if the fix will come it will in the form of culling all the fouls in general, not just the wrong ones..
That's exactly what's happened here, though - in reverse. Now everything's a foul. That's not the solution either, surely? Nor is it any degree of compromise (the same problem but reversed)?

If I had to choose between the two (and we shouldn't have to), I'd have it the old way. It might not be too annoying in a 5-min demo, but it's going to be a lot more annoying in a 15 minute game where you're conceding fouls every time you dare to attempt to win the ball back.

We'll start running defenders around hoping to deflect passes and sending the AI in to tackle on our behalf, removing all physicality from the game entirely.

Nah I'd rather keep it as it is thanks.
You say that now. I'm not so sure you will when you lose just a couple of matches in a row to terrible referee decisions (no VAR to help us out here).

It shouldn't be "one way or the other". There's a middle-ground to be had. Surely it's not worth your best, life-saving tackles being penalised just for the sake of a free kick now and then. Otherwise, what next? "I don't care that my goalkeeper goes off down the tunnel sometimes in the middle of a match, they fixed the floaty dives!"

The collision system is bonkers, that's the reason behind all of this. I've seen dribblers move through half a player's body, because the game prioritises that over defending. It might be "fresh" but that doesn't make it "better", only different. (In my opinion. Obviously.)

Ten years of fouls-free PES has conditioned us to expect to be able to squeeze R1+X and/or Square willy-nilly, and not concede a foul. This demo build restores the PES5 Principle of penalising all reckless barging. A 10-minute PES match can and should have the potential for 20 (twenty) fouls and free kicks. I'd take it and love it, but don't worry all of you who don't like it, it'll be gone from the famous final build.

you ran into the player to win the ball, i'm not seeing a clean winning of the ball here.

That's exactly what's happened here, though - in reverse. Now everything's a foul. That's not the solution either, surely? Nor is it any degree of compromise (the same problem but reversed)?

If I had to choose between the two (and we shouldn't have to), I'd have it the old way. It might not be too annoying in a 5-min demo, but it's going to be a lot more annoying in a 15 minute game where you're conceding fouls every time you dare to attempt to win the ball back.

We'll start running defenders around hoping to deflect passes and sending the AI in to tackle on our behalf, removing all physicality from the game entirely.

You say that now. I'm not so sure you will when you lose just a couple of matches in a row to terrible referee decisions (no VAR to help us out here).

It shouldn't be "one way or the other". There's a middle-ground to be had. Surely it's not worth your best, life-saving tackles being penalised just for the sake of a free kick now and then. Otherwise, what next? "I don't care that my goalkeeper goes off down the tunnel sometimes in the middle of a match, they fixed the floaty dives!"

The collision system is bonkers, that's the reason behind all of this. I've seen dribblers move through half a player's body, because the game prioritises that over defending. It might be "fresh" but that doesn't make it "better", only different. (In my opinion. Obviously.)
Of course I'd rather a perfectly working one. But if it's this or no fouls, I'd take this, until they give us the better one.

you ran into the player to win the ball, i'm not seeing a clean winning of the ball here.
Sigh. Okay, for the sake of argument, how about this one. 16m45s (should take you there automatically). Not sure you can defend this one (unless you say "well that's from a different build" and me telling you I've seen this in the demo isn't good enough for you, which I've already said).

Great to see PES2014-style fouls making a reappearance in the series, even if it just a cameo for the demo. A reckless slide that doesn't get the ball after the ball is gone, even in that situation right on (or over) the touchline, is still a foul. I remember a similar penalty being given in a big match last season, unusually so, as all the pundits pointed out, because they're not usually given, although they should be.

Simply don't race around and don't slide in automatically (as 10 years of PES has trained us to do) and these fouls won't be conceded. A fouling regime like this should discourage all lazy sliding and barging – it won't, of course, simply because the howling down will force Konami to change it. If even people who want fouls in theory don't actually want fouls in practice, the goose is well and truly cooked. I'd be surprised if they haven't already taken fouls out the back down at PES Productions and shot them.

Last edited:
@Keith Houchen Doesn't get the ball? Nedved clearly gets the ball! Although I don't think this was a foul, I appreciate there were a couple of irl occasions last season in the PL where a foul was given after a tackle got the ball but the defender followed through and took out the man. Vincent Kompany was sent off I think for one such tackle.

Edit - Kompany was booked, not sent off.

Last edited:
@Keith Houchen Doesn't get the ball? Nedved clearly gets the ball! Although I don't think this was a foul, I appreciate there were a couple of irl occasions last season in the PL where a foul was given after a tackle got the ball but the defender followed through and took out the man. Vincent Kompany was sent off I think for one such tackle.
Correct, I meant to say after getting the ball. IRL most refs regard anything after that point as null and void from the rules' point of view, but some refs, sometimes, will penalise a tackle that's deemed reckless and endangering. We used to see these fouls given a lot in PES2014, and some of them were indeed nonsensical. I don't think this one is nonsensical, nor are most of the 'running into traffic' fouls that we're seeing people complain about. Either way this discussion goes, it's moot. We all know the final outcome.

I'll take excessive fouls over 1-2 fouls in two games or something every day of the week. We have seen both the approaches in the course of the years and the first one was never a problem to me, while the second always break immersion and gave me a kind of bland feeling over the experience.

Then of course in a normal, logical world we'd have it balanced as it should be. But since it most probably isn't the case..

I disagree with Chris. I'd rather have this than no fouls at all. I don't know but this reminds me of the old pes 5. I remember complaining about it, every single nudge or contact would result in a foul.

In pes 19 I'd use com pressure to win the ball or make my opponent lose possession of the ball easily. Tried to do the same thing in pes 20, nope not gonna happen. Wanna ram into the player? You risk a foul. But I've learnt to control it though. I'd use com- pressure sparingly. I'd press square and right before my player makes contact, I'd select him and contain....no foul. I did this several times. It's all about timing i guess. Sometimes intended foul is also necessary.

Haven’t downloaded the demo yet on PS4 as I’m stuck at work

On Facebook, it was mentioned that edit mode was available in the demo and that edits made will carry over into the full game.

Has anyone tried editing yet and whether new features were added?

Haven’t downloaded the demo yet on PS4 as I’m stuck at work

On Facebook, it was mentioned that edit mode was available in the demo and that edits made will carry over into the full game.

Has anyone tried editing yet and whether new features were added?
Konami said that your edited data will not carry over im sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom