eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exhibition mode has always been more relaxed compared to competitions and Master league. If by "ramped up" he means adding more script, cheating and stats boost to AI then we are in trouble. It will be another Pes 2019.
EXACTLY! Please go about this the right way Konami. Difficulty in Pes 19 was steep but NOT well thought and frustrating on superstar and higher.

As a pc gamer, didn't try the demo yet. But i saw tons of videos.
What exactly is physicality? The fact that players hovering over the pitch? Especially off ball. Their switching from standing state to moving like crazy. Feet just gliding on pitch when turning. Footplanting needs tons of work.
I know that it won't bother me as i get used to it, but surely its an issue!
Is it only me?

Read this for more depth as to what I'm talking about:

With only 5 minute games it's hard to gauge it properly; it isn't built for 5 minute matches. I still feel that passes that were automatic in 2019 are now far more likely to go astray in this. It's meant to be a simulation of real football, and professionals at that level don't misplace many passes in a five minute period.

Played 6-7 sames so far, enjoyed it, animations and graphics are really good, a very nice weighty feel to the players, certainly feel the difference between Smalling who's slow on the turn compared to Martial. Long passes are quite satisfying I find, its nice to be able to ping a ball like scholsey and it not be so floaty. Shooting is nice but quite unpredictable, but a large improvement on previous games. quite a few more fouls from the AI however very light fouls. shoulder barges and light tackles seem to be deemed a foul a-lot.

My one concern which perhaps might be over the top and its also hard to tell with only 5 minute matches is the passing. While there are at times passes miss placed, I still think its too accurate. I wanted to see if stats make much of a difference. To test I selected Colo-Colo and put 4 of the keepers in midfield and also a rubbish cb at Right mid. I set the difficulty to Top Player and then selected Barcelona as the opposite team. At kick Off I switched sides to Barcelona and then started the match, id of expected the midfield to struggle with passing. Unfortunately this is not the case, midfielders were able to play one touch passes with no issue even when pressured, at one moment in the match the holding mid who is a 46 rated midfielder (obviously a keeper) played a perfect first time volley pass to the left midfielder. Also the Left mid was able to do a very accurate cross that nearly resulted in a goal.

I will test again but not great. See photos of the match, it doesn't look like passing stats really seem to make much of a difference for the AI.
thumbnail_DSC_0237.jpg DSC_0236.JPG thumbnail_DSC_0237.jpg DSC_0236.JPG

Apologies in advance, I can't seem to find the info about the South America Tour that Konami are doing, what date as they doing a press conference in Argentina, anyone remember? Really hoping they announce the 2nd division of Argentina (love playing Master League in Argentina!!)

As a pc gamer, didn't try the demo yet. But i saw tons of videos.
What exactly is physicality? The fact that players hovering over the pitch? Especially off ball. Their switching from standing state to moving like crazy. Feet just gliding on pitch when turning. Footplanting needs tons of work.
I know that it won't bother me as i get used to it, but surely its an issue!
Is it only me?

One example is not wise to drag out Süle to cover Coutinho instead of Kimmich. You have zero chance if you miss to foul or tackle him. And its way more efficint to double team over the cpu and tackle that way, but this often can end in a foul.
But you can destroy small players with huge ones if you time well. Small v small player is more unlikely as they can hold up their back & shoulders to cover the ball and walk it into the box.
Also in the air low players have kinda zero chance.

Exhibition mode has always been more relaxed compared to competitions and Master league. If by "ramped up" he means adding more script, cheating and stats boost to AI then we are in trouble. It will be another Pes 2019.
Hmm yes. We're definitely only playing exhibition mode games. I fear once we play ML, all the scripting kick in again..

Really hope not.

I know but it's always been like that. I know you're new here and you've not been around long enough to see it through, -not trying to diminish you at all, but it is what it is- but it's always like that.
People who have played every single Winning Eleven/PES and FIFA that ever existed expect more from this game.

You can't tell them to shut up just because.
Just express yourself and your own ideas. In fact I asked you a question before and you didn't answer.
i didnt see it sorry what was it?

Honestly, I'm expecting the biggest change from demo to full game we've ever had. They won't leave it like this, they're not brave enough.
There's no doubt it needs a couple of things tweaking here & there & a bit of polishing up but i fear a massive overhaul to how the game plays when released including faster gameplay, reduced & skipped animations to increase responsiveness, reduced pass & shoot error, less fouls & less physicality.

Played 6-7 sames so far, enjoyed it, animations and graphics are really good, a very nice weighty feel to the players, certainly feel the difference between Smalling who's slow on the turn compared to Martial. Long passes are quite satisfying I find, its nice to be able to ping a ball like scholsey and it not be so floaty. Shooting is nice but quite unpredictable, but a large improvement on previous games. quite a few more fouls from the AI however very light fouls. shoulder barges and light tackles seem to be deemed a foul a-lot.

My one concern which perhaps might be over the top and its also hard to tell with only 5 minute matches is the passing. While there are at times passes miss placed, I still think its too accurate. I wanted to see if stats make much of a difference. To test I selected Colo-Colo and put 4 of the keepers in midfield and also a rubbish cb at Right mid. I set the difficulty to Top Player and then selected Barcelona as the opposite team. At kick Off I switched sides to Barcelona and then started the match, id of expected the midfield to struggle with passing. Unfortunately this is not the case, midfielders were able to play one touch passes with no issue even when pressured, at one moment in the match the holding mid who is a 46 rated midfielder (obviously a keeper) played a perfect first time volley pass to the left midfielder. Also the Left mid was able to do a very accurate cross that nearly resulted in a goal.

I will test again but not great. See photos of the match, it doesn't look like passing stats really seem to make much of a difference for the AI.
View attachment 17857 View attachment 17858 View attachment 17857 View attachment 17858

That is 82.5% in a 5 minute match, that's not high. I don't think putting low rated passing players proves anything especially when there is still some sort of boost by AI, otherwise playing against really low rated teams with Top Player difficulty you would destroy them.

Try to make the same experiment with lower difficulties, i'm curious about results.

Be glad that at least we are not seeing 90% passing accuracy. Last year in demo Colo Colo managed to do that, passing was not only precise but also lightning fast.

It could be better, the game could express stats better but there is definitely an improvement.

I'll be doing these kind of experiments too, i would like to use them as feedback and show @officialpes if there is a real issue or not.

Anyone have a rough idea of when the steam version comes out?
I heard its 13:00 MSEZ time which is 12 mins?

View attachment 17857 View attachment 17858 View attachment 17857 View attachment 17858
This is an awesome test, bravo to you. If you have the time and possibility to make a video too would be very helpful and pass it as feedback on YT either twitter or show it to some pes influencer/celebrity persona.It shows everything about the passing problem.
For me keep testing in higher difficulties TP/SS, cause that's where stats suffer more boosts or handicaps.

Ok so this feels identical to PES 2019 for me. I am also not liking that at times the response time to get a pass or shot away appears to be WORSE than it was in 2019! Shooting is still meh and very straight lined. AI still doesn't appear to play differently depending on the style of the team it has control of.... hmmmm I think based on how this demo plays I can save myself 50 notes. The game in general just feels very meh.

umm. where r u guys getting the demo from!

Downloaded the PS4 version yesterday from the NZ store and XboxOne version this morning off the NZ store..

For me the xboxoneX definetly has the edge over the pro version..Colours aren’t as saturated and it’s just smoother overall with no frame-rate dipping.Colour can be adjusted on the PS4 though..If anyone has a elite controller your be feeling the love,especially on pa0..I know many still like a little assistance but pa0 is always my default(more like FIFA’s semi).

Downloaded the PS4 version yesterday from the NZ and XboxOne this morning off the NZ store..

For me the xboxonex definetly has the edge over the pro version..Colours aren’t as saturated and it’s just smoother overall with no frame-rate dipping.Colour can be adjusted on the PS4 though..
The power of the X it really is a beast! PS5 cannot come soon enough... Have to remember this is a really early build though the game hasnt even gone gold yet and most likely wont for a week or two. If they can apply the final polish in the next 4 or 5 weeks the Pro version should be locked 60fps and id put money on more AA being applied and thats on top of it being the best looking football game to date.

Pro version should be locked 60fps and id put money on more AA being applied and thats on top of it being the best looking football game to date.
It's stunning - the fly-bys around the stadiums are incredible in this demo, the crowd (specifically the animation) is so authentic, the scanned players (and the lighting)... It's the best looking football game ever, no doubt in my mind.

Except for the cartoon generic faces. If presentation is their focus next year too, then... They've got to come up with a better system. They ruin every close-up.

Hmm yes. We're definitely only playing exhibition mode games. I fear once we play ML, all the scripting kick in again..

Really hope not.

Scripting always kicks in massively on ML. PES 2020 will be no different. It's been like that even the heydays of PS2 PES. Which I never understood. People who play ML just want to play simulation and build a team. Not grind the same tactics and goals that work against AI. PES 2019 was more varied in that regard, which doesn't make it as boring. Hope 2020 goes a step further, but scripting will kick in for sure.

No complaints on the looks on my Xbox X,looks very good.
Ball randomness (bounces etc) top notch.
And I'm really enjoying the defending (players being aware) plus a much needed improvement in player switching.

Really hope not.
these are fair points... but i'm sure the AI in exhibition aren't usually this passive

I really can't wait to see what mods and patches will show up tommorow for the PC version.
Being on the same engine with PES 2019, i think that balls, turfs, kits would be a piece of cake this year for modders. Even the famous dt_18 files which changes gameplay.

So as far as first impressions go...

On the ball, I really like it. I'm quite impressed with the weight off the players & the ball physics. My biggest request was the return of inertia and realistic foot-planting. While i don't think we'll ever see a return to the simulation of PES 2014, The closest thing we'll get is a compromise between that and fun and i have to make peace with that.

I saw a bit of error on body context and passing/shooting which was encouraging on PA1 but i switched to manual passing and shooting anyway after a couple of games and the game is a delight while in possession.

I like that even on manual, You could still dip a volley from outside on target regardless of timing or posture on PES 2019; Last night i tried the same thing with Rakitic - A typically great distance shooter and because the ball was still too high for the hit, He sliced it and it soared miles wide! That was very believable and logical.

The usual anti climax of the CPU getting possession and scoring 90% of their attempts on goal returns and leaves you with that feeling of forfeit as soon as the CPU pulls the trigger, Just feels like they can do no wrong when they form a dangerous attack.

5 minute match time doesn't leave me craving for more or encourages me to buy or pre-order the full game, Does this actually work as marketing tactic? It's just frustrating. You're lucky if you orchestrate 2 attacks in a half and as soon as you get a rhythm going, It's all over like a ruined orgasm. (At least it saves your settings. Oh how hard we had it in the old days when the entire demo would restart.)

Now for my main negatives and i've tried to narrow it down to a couple of points that people haven't already covered.

Quality of Life settings.
Now, The minor fouls and niggles are a little frequent and i really don't mind this too much, Even though at this stage a lot of them are just random collision detection issues... But this could be remedied by giving us options in the settings for replay frequency and to disable that eFootball screen wipe!

Now, I love the choice we have with the settings screen at present but the truth is it also hasn't really had much in the way of additions since 2014. I just feel like they could give us a little bit more choice like the frequency of those match stat popups that dropped down from the scoreboard that used to take up the top left quarter of screen obstructing your view if you was in that area of the pitch on a lower cam.

Menu Presentation and GUI
It's one of the other areas I've been quite critical of over the last couple of years, It's polarizing because some suggest menus don't matter as long as they function and others believe they are just as relevant as the gameplay. I'm just a bloody snob when it comes to cohesiveness, symmetry, The psychology of graphic design and presentational polish.

It's an unpopular opinion and i hate to be scathing towards any artist or graphic designer but I just find it mind boggling how the artwork in this game as been submitted for approval and found it's way into the game - How does nobody see the jarring, random nature of the assets? Even the start screen, Has the most random picture of Pjanic they could've possibly used?? It's not even a glorious action shot or something stylish or anything conducive to in-play football - It could've been taken seconds before a "freeze frame blink made to look like a seizure" or picking his nose for all we know as well as how raw the image is, No post processing or Photoshop touch ups. It doesn't look like the corporate glossy portfolio you'd expect to see in a mainstream product.

The main menu is really bare-bones too, Even the tiles of yesteryear i had no problem with, It was a bit cluttered but at least it still looked high end. We had the classy menu's with the player models in 2015, The slick dock of PES 2011 but apart from those two, Konami have always struggled with making sophisticated looking menus.

I assumed that this menu was simply a place holder for functional purposes at E3 but it appears they're going with it all the way. Minimalist menu's can look really nice in games but this just comes off as rushed.

And my final criticism with the assets are the player portraits on the game-plan/Formation overlays. They're wildly inconsistent, Non-uniform and lack cohesiveness. Take Bayern for example, Kimmich & Boateng just randomly have CG portraits while rest of the squad have real world photo's! Why were they excluded? I wish we went back to PES 2017 where EVERY player had in game renders for their portraits and at least then there'd be no silhouettes either.

Don't get me started on the mess of those legend players portraits either.

Do you guys enjoy the new stadium cam? Or do you change it?
I love it and it's one of my favourite things about the new game. I'm a big mark for broadcast cams and presentation and i love the way it pans and zooms in towards the goal mouth and when you're keeper collects the ball.

I play on 0,0,10. I always loved the broadcast cams on previous games but isometrically it makes it very difficult to play on. This new camera eliminates that issue for me.

Bit disapointed we still can't adjust the angle of the Dynamic camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom