eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Online games in the demo are 10 mins long and if you time it right with someone else who has the demo and so matchmaking at the same time, you will end up playing them.

Might not work so well now that the demo is worldwide rather than just those who are NZ based

Wait a minute. I'm from India. The demo was listed last night on the ps store. Downloaded last night before going to bed. Woke up this morning and played a couple of games.

Impressions after about 15 games against the AI on Top Player

Positives So Far:

• Ball physics are incredible
    Visuals are great - day and night matches look really nice and the rain and snow looks a lot nicer too, although still no snow on the pitch.
    Animations - noticing many more small animations which make everything looks smoother and more fluid
    Physicality between players - they come together a lot nicer from what I'm seeing. Some really nice shielding and collisions going on. There's still some clipping there obviously but I'm not spending my time going in to replays and looking for it frame by frame with this years game.
    New camera angle is fantastic once gotten used to. You can finally tell which stadium you're playing in. This has been a problem for PES/FIFA over the years. Nice to see it's been addressed.
    Match presentation seems better with the animated/colourful ad boards.
    AI dribbling and sprint bursts. AI messi went for a nice trademark run down the right wing before cutting in and zig zagging through 3 of my players. All on the left foot, looked very real and Messi like. Although once getting through, he chose to keep dribbling instead of passing and was easily tackled. A bit of a mix of positive and negative here but I'm looking at it more as a positive.
    Varied AI shooting and from distance - not just high top corner shots
    Some volley and first time shot attempts have gone extremely wide
    Stoppage time! Haven't had a 0 added minutes game yet. I even got 5 extra mins. Looks like something has been tweaked here
Negatives So Far:

• Crowd noise still not up to par - I'm noticing some new sounds and chants which are nice but still room for improvement
    PA1 too accurate
    AI is rushing too much with no build up play. Could be down to only 5min games. Hopefully see an improvement here when game time goes up. We know from previous games that the AI can keep the ball well and pass it around.
    Fouls seem to be given for non-fouls. Reading this a lot here and on other channels, hopefully get's addressed.
Biggest Smile Moment:

AI Lewandowski receiving the ball at his feet with backtowards goal. I've barged him in the back with my defender and Lewa has stood strong, held me off and then turned me and threw me off balance. He used a burst of speed towards goal and finessed a beautiful shot in to the bottom corner. Wish i recorded it.

Verdict So Far:

Overall, from what I've played so far, I'm enjoying the game. I've spent so much time over the years over analyzing everything frame by frame and looking for faults. I won't be doing that this year. Seeing the usual guys on Twitter posting GIF's about mouth opening animations and celebrations that look robotic, then the rest of the clique jumps in and throws in their laughing emoji and RIP PES comments, but for the most part feedback and impressions seem quite good. There's a couple areas that need addressing which will add more to the experience but all in all, I'm feeling positive. Getting 2-3 fouls per game from the AI. For a 5 minute match this is fine IMO. From a content side, this is looking like the most complete PES package we've seen since 2013.
No... you don't have to. this thread will over-analyze the game for you.. probably not frame by frame but pixel by pixel.. just wait :D

+ Game pace so far is perfect.
+ Physicality is so good. So cool seeing players fighting for the ball
+ I feel like I'm doing more thinking than reactionary, getting rid of the ball gameplay.
+ I've seen some nice shooting animations.
+ Quite responsive for so many smooth looking animations
+ No skating and good footplanting
+ Haven't seen a single backheel so far. Or maybe it happened but didn't notice, you know, compared to last few years of constant backheels
+ Also haven't seen constant pingpong one touch passing
+ Keepers aren't as floaty. Or maybe not floaty at all
+ Yes I've seen the many misplaced passes from AI, whether from impossible angles, maybe stats, or just pressure
+ My passes go to the intended player
+ Haven't felt bored of it yet
+ Experimenting moves and maneuvers that I'd do irl and pulling them off
+ Good ball physics
+ Good first touch. Not every player has the same perfect first touch

So yea, so many of the issues I've complained about are corrected in this version. So honestly I'm happy so far. Now I don't know if other issues rear their heads, but I hope not.

I've started on professional then moved to superstar. Feels good so far. Compared to all superstar difficulties of the past games though, this one feels either more tame, or just realistic? I'm not quite sure. Will play more.

Also started on assisted passing and shooting, then moved to manual passing and advanced shooting. So far manual passing feels more like how level 1 assisted passing should feel like. I like it. Will need more time with advanced shooting.

EDIT: Update on passing assistance. Changed back to assisted 1. Manual was nice but the moment my passes started going to the nonintended player, killed the immersion for me and had to change back. I'm not talking about accuracy. I'd actually pass softly to the player right next to me, and he'd leave it to the player behind him. Can't do that. Now it's all good again.

Good stuff coming out from Lami means something in a correct direction this year.. :APPLAUD:

I still waiting for the demo in Steam, but I was having time to watch a lot of streams and to thinks about everything around PES and FIFA for last years. Defiantly all this microtransaction have changed game development to bad, but I think what PES 2020 is earning is the maximum that this generation of consoles and this engine can ask for. If we want more and better, we need the next generation of hardware and engines.

I'm being fouled by the A.i on a regular basis which is really really great to see. I've also conceded many free kicks & around 4 or 5 penalties. This suggests to me that I need to relearn how to defend as my usual tactics are now deemed as reckless.
As good as this is i just can't see konami leaving it this way.
Be prepared for a shit storm of social media moaning today when the majority get hold of the demo and start crying that it's "to slow", "unresponsive" & there are "too many fouls"

Good stuff coming out from Lami means something in a correct direction this year.. :APPLAUD:
Hopefully!

Be prepared for a shit storm of social media moaning today when the majority get hold of the demo and start crying that it's "to slow", "unresponsive" & there are "too many fouls"
giphy.gif

Played 10 games and I have to say that I am more impressed with this than I was with PES2019.

I like how the game is slower and the ball feels like it has more weight to it. I am playing on Top Player and has been pleasing to see pass completion percentages at around 75-80% both for myself and AI.

It is only a five minute demo so it is impossible to accurately judge the AI but it has been positive to see no obvious "cheat" goals from the AI, by that I mean in 2019 there were times I could do nothing to prevent the goal but this is only a short demo so I will reserve judgment until the full release. The way the AI plays and patterns of play do seem different but as I said earlier this is demo code and with it being so time limited it is really hard to draw any real conclusion on the AI.

Visually it is brilliant, my launch PS4 Pro sounds like it as about to take off.

Cautiously optimistic at this stage but really need to play longer matches before making any real judgment.

After a full 4 hours with the demo my findings are as follows.

+ Ball is loose, can go anywhere, anything can happen on the pitch
+ Pace is lovely
+ Physicality
+ Weight and inertia of players
+ Passing is back to PES2011 good days, PA1 is seems where it should be
+ Shooting is much more varied, more than it's ever been
+ Absolutely no catch up bug at all
+ THE CAMERA ANGLE! I absolutely love the new angle, it looks like a match on tv and adds a new attacking dynamic to the game.

- AI on superstar very seldom score, clean sheets are easy to keep, even with lesser teams (could be because demo match time is so short)
- Shooting in relation to GK scripting, still seems like it decides when to allow goals or not

All in all, i am happy. I hope not much gets touched. My initial thoughts reminded me of PES 2013 days, when I hated it after 4-5 games and then it slowly came together and grew on me.
It rewards good football,

Tried the demo. Meh.
Once you change the camera back to what it was the novely wears off quickly.

When starting demo, first thing i did was set cam to my default pes19 view I use of 5,3,10 to properly compare (played heaps of pes19 the week before) and have say the difference was immediate. Its huge and positive.. Konami are going in the right direction, improving upon most aspects that 19 wasn't. Most of the +'s are in the recent posts by Lami for example, but regarding the camera angles - I did try new stadium angle..n it does looks good at various settings, and love the fact you can see more of the stadiums etc, but on various settings, I think when using max 10 angle, you get these sudden zooms which put me off a bit....I just wished itd zoom (slowly) in a little more when the ball is on far side of pitch..to keep player size more consistent regardless where on the pitch the ball is... if that makes sense.. I like when the players are on the near side at 5 zoom, but when they are on the far side, they are too small for my liking.. I like detail over view I guess.

after reading the early demo impressions here, i am sure i will start my testing tonight with default camera (as it was before). i dont want the new cam gimme that feeling of new just for looks! i want to feel and see the new stuff on the pitch. might do a few games with "the old camera" then switching to the new

In sticking with my old cam. Im sure regardless of cam, most are seeing vast improvements over any other version. This is the best PES to date, and surprisingly (in a good way), as someone mentioned before.. it does remind me of pes14 in terms of weightiness and momentum, but with tonnes more animations, responsiveness and without the sliding (that's obvious while playing).

Pitch looks fantastic in HDR on my LG OLED B7 at all 3 stadiums. Night matches look pretty good as well. Do you have the TV and PS set up properly?

Yep..when i first played pes19 i thought it was a step down in turf colour and texture compared to 18. But it all had to do with my screen setting and pes's ingame brightness setting. Its same with 20..i actually put contrast up to 60 and brightness to 20.. it goes well with my default projector setting.. and in my eyes, the color palette n lighting has improved significantly over 19.. this is an are that's progressively gotten better over last 3 or 4 years. All 3 stadiums are an absolute pleasure to play with.. look amazing, day or night. Haven't tried 'cloudy with a chance of meatballs' yet. :)

+fouls(could be more by the ai)
+physicality
+first touch error
+game pace
+playerweight
+ball physics
+missplaced/wrong footed ai passes
+player inertia by ai is much more prominent
+shooting variety by the ai
+ai dribble and ball shielding
-owerpowered keepers
-too easy direct fks
-cpu is too direct
-cpu could dribble even more
-no extreme long shots by ai

I hate the new stick dribbe feature, i will never use it efficiently as i always put dash on the triangle/epsylon....

Totally agree with this, and Lami's comments. But, when playing against Barca (about 4 games), on every occasion, I had Continho having atleast 2 long range shots at goal. I posted a clip on a previous post a few pages back. But, unlike pes19 where the long ranger's were just outside the box, I had Continho shoot way outside the box.. bout 30+ yards... if you give him a change, he'll shoot. Whats also great, ive seen a few ai tap in as well (like the ai long-long rangers, 19 had absolutely none of these low shots) as low curler style goals by players such as messi or dyabla.

I'm being fouled by the A.i on a regular basis which is really really great to see. I've also conceded many free kicks & around 4 or 5 penalties. This suggests to me that I need to relearn how to defend as my usual tactics are now deemed as reckless.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy there are more fouls however I want the contact to actually be a foul when they're giving it.

Just calling anything a foul to increase foul numbers is a shortcut.

Has anyone tried scoring a R2 finesse curler via FM shooting?? This was broken in pes19. The other day, I had 2 controllers connected doing the p1 vs non existent p2, and had many attempts. I did finally score one, which actually looked like a proper curler, something ive never done before on 19. So I think its improved.. however, I did miss a lot as well... so my verdict is that its improved, but not enough. How's people experience with Full manual shooting in general??? Variety?? Overpowered?? R2 finesse shooting??

Ill post a clip of the one I scored.. in a sec :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy there are more fouls however I want the contact to actually be a foul when they're giving it.

Just calling anything a foul to increase foul numbers is a shortcut.
It is true that some of the fouls in question are dubious but I've also found timing when you lunge in to be critical so far and spamming the 2nd player pressure leads to more free kicks if mistimed or overused.

Seen some really cynical fouls from the A.i after beating a man, these haven't been present for years which is really pleasing to see. Do you remember how PES 5 was in the beginning, so many free kicks until you learned when & when not to commit. I really like it so far, very reminiscent in that regard.
It could definitely be tweaked slightly though but I'd rather have it this way than the other option.

Has anyone tried scoring a R2 finesse curler via FM shooting?? This was broken in pes19. The other day, I had 2 controllers connected doing the p1 vs non existent p2, and had many attempts. I did finally score one, which actually looked like a proper curler, something ive never done before on 19. So I think its improved.. however, I did miss a lot as well... so my verdict is that its improved, but not enough. How's people experience with Full manual shooting in general??? Variety?? Overpowered?? R2 finesse shooting??

Ill post a clip of the one I scored.. in a sec :)
I haven't tried manual yet, even though I've always used manual shooting for previous PESs. I'm still on advanced and there's something different and better about it that's making me forget I'm on advanced.

Im sorry but the demo has just came out today and people are already crying like babies, its a demo ffs things will get better even though it is hard to improve near perfection like the pes 2020 demo, if you dont like the demo then go to fifa!

You're pretty new here, so let me tell you this: This arrogant, belittling shit isn't gonna fly here and I hate it. Cut it and learn to respect other people's opinions, you won't last very long otherwise. Consider this a warning.

Totally agree with this, and Lami's comments. But, when playing against Barca (about 4 games), on every occasion, I had Continho having atleast 2 long range shots at goal. I posted a clip on a previous post a few pages back. But, unlike pes19 where the long ranger's were just outside the box, I had Continho shoot way outside the box.. bout 30+ yards... if you give him a change, he'll shoot. Whats also great, ive seen a few ai tap in as well (like the ai long-long rangers, 19 had absolutely none of these low shots) as low curler style goals by players such as messi or dyabla.

Good to hear i only played about 5 matches and watched 5 cpu v cpu matches because im knackered as i just got back from holiday yday :D

Another thing, is R2 shooting contextual too like in the PS2 days? With Lewa i managed to hit one and i never touched R2.

As for gamespeed the game is fast, no doubt. Only the camera angle, zoom what makes it slow indeed.

It is true that some of the fouls in question are dubious but I've also found timing when you lunge in to be critical so far and spamming the 2nd player pressure leads to more free kicks if mistimed or overused.

Seen some really cynical fouls from the A.i after beating a man, these haven't been present for years which is really pleasing to see. Do you remember how PES 5 was in the beginning, so many free kicks until you learned when & when not to commit. I really like it so far, very reminiscent in that regard.
It could definitely be tweaked slightly though but I'd rather have it this way than the other option.
I suppose yeah. It's a definite sign that they've actually listened to complaints about fouls. Having lots is better than having none.

Reactions: MKC
my last game i got beat by Juve 3-0 on superstar - no cheating though and the 3rd was a counter attack mater class as was pushing up - quick free kick and then a long 1 -2 and slotted home, 3 fouls too. Also on superstar i am yet to score :)

PES5 was the first thing that came to mind when reading about the foul count. What illustrious company to keep. Praying for PES5's passing errors.

Hopefully!

giphy.gif

Lami i have a big fear as a conspiracy theory because A, this demo has much more physicality and less 2 pass and shot on sight element than the vids we seen lately B, because many people who played the MU, Juve etc versions thinks almost the same as they didnt have so many glitches and those were more polished versions....that the demo could be an earlier version of the game and what we seen a week ago or so on vids are closer to the final version.

PES5 was the first thing that came to mind when reading about the foul count. What illustrious company to keep. Praying for PES5's passing errors.

It doesnt have much foul count because in PES 5 the ball carrier couldnt defend the bell like in 2020. But yes the concept seems the same as PES5 usually you foul if you take the ball while you arent in the good position with the good defender OR you just blindly press tackle/charge.

Last edited:
Lami i have a big fear as a conspiracy theory because A, this demo has much more physicality and less 2 pass and shot on sight element than the vids we seen lately B, because many people who played the MU, Juve etc versions thinks almost the same....that the demo could be an earlier version of the game and what we seen a week ago or so on vids are closer to the final version.
Funny you mention this, I've had a feeling it's very rough early version of the game from the get go

For me th only thing since pes 2017, is that it feels boring when u score a goal, i can t explain there is not enough feel when you shoot the ball, the only thing missing here, and pa1 still too assisted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom