eFootball (All Platforms)

The problem is when people like this trash they spend money on it which makes the makers pursue it even more. Without people standing up there's no change.

People complain about Fifa every year and yet they still buy it for their football fix. If everyone played older games or modded games like Pes21 and voted with their wallets we wouldn't have the travesty that is EAFC, Efootball and UFL and football gaming in general.

And that's the truth.

The problem is when people like this trash they spend money on it which makes the makers pursue it even more. Without people standing up there's no change.

People complain about Fifa every year and yet they still buy it for their football fix. If everyone played older games or modded games like Pes21 and voted with their wallets we wouldn't have the travesty that is EAFC, Efootball and UFL and football gaming in general.

And that's the truth.

But the people spending money on it are not on this forum. Did you miss how many times people here said they like it or can accept it because the game is FREE? Whatever problem you're referring to, it doesn't exist in this thread, clearly.

Games like fifa and ufl and efootball have continued in their current vein despite people like us not buying them. Look at the ea fc 25 thread here. There is daily conversation about people not buying it because they dont trust it. Yet the games premium editions sales are up.

These games are serving a massive market of people who want games like this. We are not the market and our behaviour wont make any difference to the games. They are being made inspite of us. If we're lucky, we might get a sim mode in ea fc.

The gameplay in efootball is closer to sim than arcade. The problem is the game is devoid of meaningful technology. That decision wont change if we stop playing it or saying nice things about it here because the model is based on people who prefer players over teams, packs over tactics. They have 800m downloads despite us. It's return on investment is stratospheric.

And that's the truth.
When will you get bored of PES 2021? Seriously you're playing a 5 years old game?

I just played a couple of matches with the new update.
Thankfully they didn't ruin it.
What I noticed (but still might be placebo).
-Tighter dribbling
-Slower pace
-Stunnig shot power is nerfed a bit
-Better footplanting maybe at certain animations.

Overall, everything is ok.

About Pes 2021 and efootball.
When will you get bored of PES 2021? Seriously you're playing a 5 years old game?
Exactly my thoughts. Its a 5 years game (considering that PES 21 is pretty similar to PES 2020).
Gameplay wise is solid for sure. But CPU feels way to linear and repetitive compared to ef25 especially in terms of dribbling, feints, and long shots.

Konami and FIFA Sign e-Sports Collaboration Agreement

https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/en/news/release/20241010/

The above should be in English, but if you not there is an option to change over from Japanese.

Could be the start of further collaboration down the line. If FIFA want a ready made football title to join with, this makes sense.
Surely getting Koami to straight up make the next Fifa game is the way to go, hilarious as it would be.

Konami and FIFA Sign e-Sports Collaboration Agreement

https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/en/news/release/20241010/

The above should be in English, but if you not there is an option to change over from Japanese.

Could be the start of further collaboration down the line. If FIFA want a ready made football title to join with, this makes sense.
This is bananas.

Does this mean 2K aren't making a FIFA game after all? Because if they were, surely this wouldn't happen...

Skimming the article it seems to just be some esports stuff, but if somebody at Konami would just realise they could have two seperate football games...
It's a bloody big IF though

It would be hilarious if they make World Cup game, and make it online only ... with cards and selling/buying players in international competition.

And knowing KONAMI and FIFA, I would not be suprised :) :) :(

Not sure what you guys think about the new update, but feels good.
Seems to run better than before the update... , by that I mean smoother, with more momentum, and improved response time.
Runs quicker, but feels good.

I think it's better. It feels less rigid, and slower. More rhythm.

The placement of players and teammate AI runs is/are very good. The best in any modern game. Pes has always had an issue with teammate AI consistency ie they will occasionally do silly things, like stop running forward during a counter. But the support from teammates, the variety of runs in this game is impressive
And the general game shape is excellent too. It just looks like a premier league game when playing arsenal vs spurs.

The problem is the ball physics. They are so heavy, and also limited, that the game feels weighed down by 1.5x gravity.
Even if there was less variety, if the ball physics were softened and lightened, this would be a genuinely interesting game to play. I played Villa vs Wolves at Rose Park night game...and there was an intensity I havent felt in pes since pes 17. It slightly reminded me of pes 11 where playing with teams like Villa was a fantastic experience.

However...it's hard to escape the feeling that the parts in this game that do work (AI, player animations, game shape) only do so because the ball is so predictable. Every time konami tries to free up the ball, the game becomes a mess again.

Football Manager 25 has now also been delayed till next year because they are switching engines. Imagine if it ends up like FIFA or PES where they get rid of multiple features and it becomes a shell of it's former self. There's a very real possibility of having no good football games for at least the next three years. The biggest sport in the world only has three big games.

The base gameplay is (imo) the best the series has seen since the PS2 days. Unfortunately the lack of content, awful presentation & UI just put me off playing it. An Edit Mode wouldn't go a miss either.

Did anyone else complete the survey?
I can get on board with this take, somewhat.

I have been playing both this and FC25 and both games scratch an itch, but there is something about this game, v. Legendary AI, that is intense and simply a very involving experience.

Final third gameplay needs work, massively, but I do agree PS2 vibes are there, mate.

Just need something to do as a single player gamer, like you say.

And I need say, the return of the finesse dribbling mechanic and contextual shielding helps that sense of intensity.

Playing a match earlier against Bayern that started explosive and I was on the back foot, but managed to slow the match down a wee bit with passing, and then gave the ball to Lookman who suddenly had three players pressing and a wee tap of finesse dribble then burst and I was away...and there was a sense of him building momentum and drifting by players...but I had to beat that press first. That's great.

Seriously, I rather like FC25 this year, but there is *something* about eFootball in it's current state that can surprise you in a pleasant way.

Notice how the shooting sensation has MASSIVELY improved since 4.0.0? No longer stupid wind-ups and floaty efforts but a player can properly PING a strike off, and there is some error depending on who you are using.

I've noticed too they have tweaked some animation types when passing. More often I am seeing more contextually correct short pass animations.

Just give us a copy/paste of eFootball 2021's ML and Edit Mode for the time being and you will see your numbers go up, Konami! IDIOTS.

I just played a couple of matches with the new update.
Thankfully they didn't ruin it.
What I noticed (but still might be placebo).
-Tighter dribbling
-Slower pace
-Stunnig shot power is nerfed a bit
-Better footplanting maybe at certain animations.

Overall, everything is ok.

About Pes 2021 and efootball.

Exactly my thoughts. Its a 5 years game (considering that PES 21 is pretty similar to PES 2020).
Gameplay wise is solid for sure. But CPU feels way to linear and repetitive compared to ef25 especially in terms of dribbling, feints, and long shots.
Yeah games can get a bit stale over time, but with PES2021, its a different case... modders like Holland (and many other GP modders) have essentially created newer updated versions of the PES2021 game. It's an ever-evolving game. Example; with the latest GP update ive been playing over the last few weeks, ive seen and experienced things not seen in the 4 yrs prior. Loving it.

eg. Seeing new keeper CPU animations with saves and being scored against:

and

Heaps of mistakes by Legend AI CPU, never happened in vanilla version:

Enjoying both games atm, but Re efootball (2025) vs PES2021, efootball does have something special about it.. regardless of the bare bones feelings.

+vanilla unmodded GP is better
+smoother animations, more 360 degree movement, and doesn't feel like its on rails when compared to pes2021
+can score more long rangers in full manual shooting mode!!!!!

and

And with the new update, I just feel the game runs so much better.. smoother, more momentum, better response with passing, dribbling etc. Actually this is another thing efootball does better than pes2021.. the response in efootball is amazing.
Regarding speed, and how the game appears, im sure it also has much to do with settings and the type of PC you have, and on what type of monitor/display you are using. Im on a projector screen 135" at 1080p @ 240hz, and its ultra smooth and so responsive. Gameplay does feel quicker to me than before the update, but im not sure if thats because the game actually runs more efficiently as the programmers iron out code etc. Before the update i'd occasionally get some stutters here and there, which is unusual considering i have a 7900xtx card, and 7800x3d cpu.
Only get slight rare stutter, only when I try using the ultra graphics mod.

Last edited:
Yeah games can get a bit stale over time, but with PES2021, its a different case... modders like Holland (and many other GP modders) have essentially created newer updated versions of the PES2021 game. It's an ever-evolving game. Example; with the latest GP update ive been playing over the last few weeks, ive seen and experienced things not seen in the 4 yrs prior. Loving it.

eg. Seeing new keeper CPU animations with saves and being scored against:

Enjoying both games atm, but Re efootball (2025) vs PES2021, efootball does have something special about it.. regardless of the bare bones feelings.

+vanilla unmodded GP is better
+smoother animations, more 360 degree movement, and doesn't feel like its on rails when compared to pes2021
+can score more long rangers in full manual shooting mode!!!!!

And with the new update, I just feel the game runs so much better.. smoother, more momentum, better response with passing, dribbling etc. Actually this is another thing efootball does better than pes2021.. the response in efootball is amazing.
Regarding speed, and how the game appears, im sure it also has much to do with settings and the type of PC you have, and on what type of monitor/display you are using. Im on a projector screen 135" at 1080p @ 240hz, and its ultra smooth and so responsive. Gameplay does feel quicker to me than before the update, but im not sure if thats because the game actually runs more efficiently as the programmers iron out code etc. Before the update i'd occasionally get some stutters here and there, which is unusual considering i have a 7900xtx card, and 7800x3d cpu.
Only get slight rare stutter, only when I try using the ultra graphics mod.
I agree with almost anything you say!
But I highly doubt that a gameplay mod for PES 21 "unlocks" or "adds" animations. Holland etc, can not motion capture new animations, or create new. It's just a gimmick the say to promote their gameplay. All gp mods are just tweaks to certain parameters and nothing more. The core of the game stays the same. So claims like "new animations" or "new ball physics" etc etc are just tweaks to the existing. I don't doubt that tweaks give an fresh feeling but it's limited. The best tweak in PES 2021 in net physics. Also most of the tweaks have side effects. Finally no modder can write new code for the AI to attack differently. So PES 2021 modded, yes it's better, but it's still PES 2021 carring all the issues of the vanilla version.

About 1080p and 240hz (i didn't know that there is a projector tha can produce 240hz!) I strongly suggest you to try the Ultra graphics mod. I prefer the visual fidelity and photorealism it provides, even if I play at 90Fps instead of 165.

Guys have anyone noticed that the score board in Afc championship for clubs/ national teams and replay wipe back to the konami’s default !!

But I highly doubt that a gameplay mod for PES 21 "unlocks" or "adds" animations. Holland etc, can not motion capture new animations, or create new. It's just a gimmick the say to promote their gameplay
This is true but all sports games to give a shit about have an large to an insane amount of an contextual "animation library". Many animations are stored up for each context which can be triggered and deployed but some are more rare than others... For example in NBA 2K if you slow the game speed down you can get more rare layup animations that are triggered more occasionally that wont trigger in default or higher game speeds and vice versa. People that do slider work on FIFA, Madden, MLB etc work to open up this library.

The placement of players and teammate AI runs is/are very good. The best in any modern game. Pes has always had an issue with teammate AI consistency ie they will occasionally do silly things, like stop running forward during a counter. But the support from teammates, the variety of runs in this game is impressive
And the general game shape is excellent too. It just looks like a premier league game when playing arsenal vs spurs.
I've not played eFootball for a long time, but given how important this is to me (and how it's been lacking in football games for a long time), you're going to make me download it again...

I've not played eFootball for a long time, but given how important this is to me (and how it's been lacking in football games for a long time), you're going to make me download it again...

Well...i really don't want to set you up for disappointment! It's still efootball.

But I do think the game shape and the movement and interchange of players across the pitch is as good as I've seen. Playing manual last night, i played for 2 hours straight, more than I'd played efootball in the preceding year, I think. I played porto vs benfica on superstar and barely got into benfica's final third because florentino luis robbed me of possession around 6 times. I noticed DM's doing the same in other matches too. I genuinely can't remember that in any other game, where a specific position becomes as relevant as it is in real life.

I played PSG and Madrid vs City a few times last night (world class, konami stadium, which along with 3 or 4 others looks very good on pc on summer/night setting). The rhythm and flow of playing felt so convincing. I scored 2 goals in around 6 matches and had to sometimes play ten passes between my back four and my DM so i could find an angle to progress the ball or work my way around a press. Even on pass setting 3 i found it reasonably difficult to move through midfield. On manual it feels like a genuine, geometric challenge.

Man city's attacks felt uncannily real, they were so varied and so un pes-like at times. Gundogan played these little through balls from the edge of the box so often i actually started to hate him a little. And they would drag me to one side of the pitch then quickly switch to the opposite side, using Pep's signature move.

I also played as Villa at home vs Everton and i was actually taken aback by the fact that they sat deep in two banks of four, and then attacked with 6 players, almost all through the middle of the pitch. They just overwhelmed me. I don't remember a team in pes having such a distinctive style of football.

Another surprising element is how robust physicality is. I've dribbled 30 yards down the wing with a full back wrestling me all the way. They win if they're stronger. I've been barged off the ball VVD-style too which again felt new, because it was so specific, from a physicality point of view.

Shooting has even been improved from 1 out of 10 to maybe 5 out of 10 now (still not good though!).

However...i still wouldn't give this game more than 6 out of 10, because the ball physics are so limited, it can make the game, even on full manual, feel soulless at times. passing the ball feels pleasant enough but it's just not good enough for 2024.
And there is still a lack of acceleration in the final third, like the ps2 games had. The lack of variety in the box remains. And defences back off towards their boxes too much in certain phases of an attack, though not always. And it still has all the presentation failures naturally.

But as a 'manual passing build-up simulator'...it has its charms.

I can get on board with this take, somewhat.

I have been playing both this and FC25 and both games scratch an itch, but there is something about this game, v. Legendary AI, that is intense and simply a very involving experience.

Final third gameplay needs work, massively, but I do agree PS2 vibes are there, mate.

Just need something to do as a single player gamer, like you say.
There is something about the balance between simplicity and freedom which this game really nails. EAFC has added so much depth in controls and features that it's almost become too much and too difficult to do what should be basic things.

Dribbling is the perfect example (i know i bang on about dribbling a lot but it works here). In EAFC there are like 6-8 dribbling types depending on how you classify them. Multiple button presses, stick flicks etc. eFootball manages to capture the majority of these with just taps, right stick and contextual movements which are intuitive and work really well. Whilst EAFC technically has more option, I feel far more able to do what I'm thinking on the fly in eFootball. Like, if I want to take a big quick touch around a defender, it's just an R1 tap. In EAFC it's R1 (not sprint) and 2 flicks of the right stick I think? Just not conducive to quick organic decisions and moments.

With all these options and the impact it has on the game in EAFC, there are so many weird animations, unrealistic movements etc to try and cater for the crazy number of inputs you can use.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but Chris, if you download the game, I would suggest spending a solid amount of time to reacclimatise to how it plays. When i tried the new update, I initially thought they'd ruined a lot of the good but the more I played, the better it got. There are a lot of nuances which you find as you play. the first touch mechanic, defending space, build up etc. I would still say it's maxed out at a 7/10 (being generous maybe) but the foundation is an 8.5. The lack of modes, poor keepers, very average presentation and lack of ball physics variation really hinder the game.

I think this year more than ever, both game excel in opposite areas. There has never been a more "mix of both games would be incredible" year imo.

Edit: this has got me thinking about possibilities for Konami. Could they not off "packs" which improve the experience. Like a presentation pack for next gen consoles/PCs which you pay for but increases LoD and fidelity etc. Obviously offline modes too. I appreciate the game is free and I think for a free game it's great tbh. I wouldn't pay for it in its current state but I would absolutely pay for add ons which benefit me. If the graphical decisions are based on the planned crossplay, it would be fine if that pack is incompatible with the online modes. Surely it would be a money spinner and benefit the community?

Last edited:
So there is fun to be had. It sadly isn't long term fun because the game is missing too much for that but not everything is black or white like some here want to paint it.
Yeah that's how I feel about eFootball; I liked the gameplay when I tried it but the card collecting online mode has never been my thing. If they were to include a mode that I enjoy then I'd eventually make the move over to it.

Some people tend to get mad if you enjoy a product and they don't. Which I find weird.
It's one of my least favorite aspects of gaming is this attitude. And one I try not to indulge in anymore. In my experience, I realized that a lot of the games I played the most were moving away from the things I enjoyed most about them. Accepting that a game or genre may no longer be for you is a hard pill to swallow, but you move on.

Obviously the way eFootball was released was disappointing to me as someone who plays offline exclusively. The reality was/is this game was not made for me. And that's ok. I hope the people who play it, enjoy it.

The games I play the most are 8-10 years old lol.

Probably efootball with all fifa lisences? Good for us if its that the case
Only licenses fifa have are the world cup, confederation cup, and club world cup right?

Just played a few games after months and really enjoyed it. 30 min games and i actually sped the game up. You can still slow the game down by the way you play the game and it felt really good. Goalkeepers although good shot stoppers do not come off their line this really needs sorting. Id pay for a edit mode with a stadium editor and a tournament mode. My master league hope has gone. This has great potential that konami wont utilise which is a big shame.

Back
Top Bottom