eFootball (All Platforms)

The base gameplay is (imo) the best the series has seen since the PS2 days. Unfortunately the lack of content, awful presentation & UI just put me off playing it. An Edit Mode wouldn't go a miss either.

Did anyone else complete the survey?

Wait... Huh? Sorry mate, but is this sarcasm?

Because I genuinely believe this is the worst update since the inception of the PES and eFootball series. They've removed or ruined more features than they've added, and even the user interface and colors are almost identical to before. At least with eFootball 2022 and 2023, we got some minor updates like new icons and color changes.

As for the gameplay, let's start with passing. I'm a PA.3 player, and compared to eFootball 2023, it now feels overly assisted, often selecting the wrong player or applying incorrect power. Long-range shooting has become ridiculously overpowered, and what's worse is that long-range first-time shots are now even more broken. Everyone just spams shots with Haaland from all over the field, especially to near corner , because the goalkeepers consistently position themselves poorly, right in the middle for no reason.

Dribbling has taken a huge hit as well, mainly due to this new "Auto-Shielding" feature. For players who enjoy dribbling, it’s a massive handicap. Instead of allowing free movement, you're forced into pushing and fighting animations when all you want to do is run into open space. Why can't they implement it as they did in PES 2021?

Finesse dribbling is another major disappointment for me, for many reasons. First, there are fewer animations compared to eFootball 2023. Players now awkwardly turn forward just to perform the move, and you can't execute it in all directions like you could before, which is a huge step backward. If they're going to bring it back like it was in the older PES games (PES 3 to PES 2019), then why not make it as good as it was back then?

Overall, I believe the old mechanic, where you could tilt the left analog slightly, was far superior. Yes, it was more difficult and only a few players mastered it, which created a skill gap. But now, Konami seems intent on removing anything that creates that gap. The previous logic with the left analog made much more sense—they could have simply tweaked the angle, instead of overhauling everything.

In defense, I feel like the game punishes players for trying to defend itself. The "Match Up" mechanic doesn't seem to function properly anymore—my player often fails to react to either the ball or the opponent, especially when I'm using Match Up, or pressing X. I’ve had to resort to more unconventional methods to defend, but overall, those who rely on AI to do the defending for them tend to be more successful, which is unacceptable for a supposedly competitive eSports game.

With every update, Konami subtly increases AI assistance and control over player actions, but it’s done so gradually that it’s almost imperceptible—like the frog in boiling water that doesn’t react as the temperature rises. Now, they're trying to normalize these absurd mechanics as "SMART" assistants. If this had happened 5-10 years ago, there would have been outrage, with people practically tearing down Konami's building. Yet today, the sheep somehow "like the gameplay" for reasons that are beyond me.

Yes, I’ll admit there are a few new animations—particularly for fake shots and cut-behind moves that look nice, along with some improved grass textures and player faces—but overall, these changes are grossly insufficient. I don’t even want to get started on how they gutted the CO-OP mode/event, which was the only fun that I had with the game, but now feels like just another platform to push the "SMART" Assist. We all know why it’s there, but no one dares to say it out loud. A large portion of the people buying coins and packs are really bad players, those who consistently make poor decisions, and Konami is keeping them in the game by essentially playing it for them. Yes, it’s brazen and downright cynical, but that's why they label it "SMART"—because the ones who rely on it aren’t exactly "smart." But as usual, money trumps everything.

Last edited:
Anyone here follow the Xbox Support twitter account? It's always funny when eFootball does it's Thursday maintenance, as that account tweets "We are aware that some users are experiencing issues playing eFootball 2024. Thank you for your patience!", then when it's finished, the usual "it should be up and running" tweet. I note they still call it eFootball 2024 also, even though the number has been dropped. Not even Xbox Support admins care about the game

What for me is frustrating is that the game can be fun.

I am playing My league with AS Monaco right now and had a Nailbiter against PSG really fun game and I like that you can now also see the statistics for Goalscorers/Assists in the league and the presentation.for Ligue 1 is actually nice. But Konami just also unlock the other competitions clubs play and Transfers in My league. Then at least you would have a Master League light.

And what I really don't get, the competition in Form of EA is investing in multiple Game Modes and even in Offline with Career Mode. So there must be an audience there. So why can't Konami also offer something for Offline players. I am sure if it is priced right many would pay for a Master League.

The base gameplay is (imo) the best the series has seen since the PS2 days. Unfortunately the lack of content, awful presentation & UI just put me off playing it. An Edit Mode wouldn't go a miss either.

Did anyone else complete the survey?

This is also where im at with the game. I didn't expect to like it, but I cant lie, im enjoying the game play, and the challenge against a good A.I. I just wish they'd add more content and an edit mode.

Wait... Huh? Sorry mate, but is this sarcasm?

Because I genuinely believe this is the worst update since the inception of the PES and eFootball series.
It's a matter of taste and what are your expectations.
I really enjoy the current state of gameplay. It's a fair compromise between responsiveness and realism.
To me it's the best gameplay since PES 2020 demo. If you nitpick, of course there is a ton of room for improvement.
Given the fact that this is a FREE game +you can play offline matches and evolve your team + you can play with a friend online, I m really grateful for what we have. This update made the game more interesting, with some arcade vibes which add more fun for me. R2 Shooting is spectacular, you can try it whenever you want and gamble the outcome. Ball trajectory has some variety especially it terms of arc and height. All previous PES, shooting with the gauge bar almost full was leading to rockets aiming to the upper corners of the goal (You know that the power gauge is not actually the power of the shoot but the height! I guess most people do not know that). Now strong shots may gain speed but not height adding variety and unpredictability.
Animation wise it's quite decent and you don't feel trapped into animations, waiting them to be excecuted. Let's say they put some effort in animation linking. Graphically the Ultra graphic patch elevates the game a lot. You can see every detail, hair waving, cloth animation, lighting is outstanding to specific stadiums (Lazio Stadium is my new favorite, night, summer).
Also the key features of efootball 22, inertia/momentum and R2 analog sprinting it's still there. You can try it in practice mode. The more you press R2 the faster players run. With L2 you can block pass paths and steal the ball and mark players. Yes, it's much more automated compared to 22 version, but still better than all previous PES.
To me it's the best football game you can play today, gameplay wise. For the first time AI is clever, tries new things, dribbles the ball (until 2021 AI was just passing the ball around), tries tricks and faints, long shots with R2 etc.
PES 5-6 are fossils now, unplayable for me, Pes 2011-2013 still feel stiff and old, 2014 -2021 feel on rails and somewhat lacking depth in terms of AI.
In october 10th, an update will come. I hope they won't ruin everything.
Oh and again. IT'S FREE!

I really enjoy the current state of gameplay. It's a fair compromise between responsiveness and realism.
To me it's the best gameplay since PES 2020 demo. If you nitpick, of course there is a ton of room for improvement.
Given the fact that this is a FREE game +you can play offline matches and evolve your team + you can play with a friend online, I m really grateful for what we have. This update made the game more interesting, with some arcade vibes which add more fun for me. R2 Shooting is spectacular, you can try it whenever you want and gamble the outcome. Ball trajectory has some variety especially it terms of arc and height. All previous PES, shooting with the gauge bar almost full was leading to rockets aiming to the upper corners of the goal (You know that the power gauge is not actually the power of the shoot but the height! I guess most people do not know that). Now strong shots may gain speed but not height adding variety and unpredictability.
Animation wise it's quite decent and you don't feel trapped into animations, waiting them to be excecuted. Let's say they put some effort in animation linking. Graphically the Ultra graphic patch elevates the game a lot. You can see every detail, hair waving, cloth animation, lighting is outstanding to specific stadiums (Lazio Stadium is my new favorite, night, summer).
Also the key features of efootball 22, inertia/momentum and R2 analog sprinting it's still there. You can try it in practice mode. The more you press R2 the faster players run. With L2 you can block pass paths and steal the ball and mark players. Yes, it's much more automated compared to 22 version, but still better than all previous PES.
To me it's the best football game you can play today, gameplay wise. For the first time AI is clever, tries new things, dribbles the ball (until 2021 AI was just passing the ball around), tries tricks and faints, long shots with R2 etc.
PES 5-6 are fossils now, unplayable for me, Pes 2011-2013 still feel stiff and old, 2014 -2021 feel on rails and somewhat lacking depth in terms of AI.
Oh and again. IT'S FREE!

I think the fact that's it's free cant really be discounted from the analysis anymore. We're so far away from the pes days that we are dealing with a totally different animal altogether now. Most of us seem to have given up on the idea of konami making an actual football game for the market, with a proper price, so taking this game on its own terms is pretty much the only sane option left.

For a free game, it's really not bad.
Although...having played 10 hours of fifa in sim mode, it has ruined efootball for me as the ball physics feel too rigid at level 3 and too light at level 4. Also the players are spaced far too far apart.

Even before playing fifa, I could see positives in efootball, really could, especially on manual and yet...still had almost zero urge to play it.
It's a functional game without any kind of magic to it at all I think.

Oh and again. IT'S FREE!

I disagree with many points in your post, but I'll focus on three key issues.

First, you claim that "animation-wise, it's quite decent, and you don’t feel trapped in animations." I literally explained how the auto-shielding feature traps you in animations that you can't break free from until the AI decides the outcome. Whether it’s based on individual stats or some other unclear factors, the fact remains that this didn’t happen in eFootball 2023. In that version, I never experienced situations where I felt out of control or stuck in an animation, but in the new update, this happens far too often.

Second, and I mean no offense, but I find your statement "2014-2021 feels on rails and somewhat lacking depth in terms of AI" to be absurd. It’s very superficial and inaccurate to lump PES 2014 and PES 2021 together as if they’re the same. They are absolutely different games. PES 2021 is one of the best football games ever made, and no version of eFootball has come close to matching it yet—whether you agree with that or not is your prerogative.

Lastly, your argument of "Oh, and again. IT'S FREE!" is something I can't stand. Just because something is free doesn’t mean it’s immune to criticism or that we shouldn’t expect quality. Free or not, garbage is still garbage. I’m not saying eFootball is outright garbage, but it's far from what it should be after nearly 4-5 years of development. The only reason it’s at this level, with such minimal improvements and content, is because its free, and Konami makes a lot of money from it. The fact that it's free doesn’t protect it from valid criticism.

For me, eFootball 2023 had better passing, defending, and dribbling. eFootball 2024 feels like a downgraded version of 2023 with slightly smoother animations and graphics—it’s essentially the same, just worse.

I disagree with many points in your post, but I'll focus on three key issues.

First, you claim that "animation-wise, it's quite decent, and you don’t feel trapped in animations." I literally explained how the auto-shielding feature traps you in animations that you can't break free from until the AI decides the outcome. Whether it’s based on individual stats or some other unclear factors, the fact remains that this didn’t happen in eFootball 2023. In that version, I never experienced situations where I felt out of control or stuck in an animation, but in the new update, this happens far too often.

Second, and I mean no offense, but I find your statement "2014-2021 feels on rails and somewhat lacking depth in terms of AI" to be absurd. It’s very superficial and inaccurate to lump PES 2014 and PES 2021 together as if they’re the same. They are absolutely different games. PES 2021 is one of the best football games ever made, and no version of eFootball has come close to matching it yet—whether you agree with that or not is your prerogative.

Lastly, your argument of "Oh, and again. IT'S FREE!" is something I can't stand. Just because something is free doesn’t mean it’s immune to criticism or that we shouldn’t expect quality. Free or not, garbage is still garbage. I’m not saying eFootball is outright garbage, but it's far from what it should be after nearly 4-5 years of development. The only reason it’s at this level, with such minimal improvements and content, is because its free, and Konami makes a lot of money from it. The fact that it's free doesn’t protect it from valid criticism.

For me, eFootball 2023 had better passing, defending, and dribbling. eFootball 2024 feels like a downgraded version of 2023 with slightly smoother animations and graphics—it’s essentially the same, just worse.
This is the reason forum exist. To discuss!
So let's see.
In efootball 2023 shielding was manual. A bit uneccessary if no one was near you. Now is automated (like Previous PES) because it's the normal reaction every player would do if someone attacked him to steal the ball. It's an instictive reaction, so I find auto-shield more...realistic and natural.
About Pes 2014-2021, I put them together as it was an "era" of PES, the fox engine era. Of course Pes 2021 is the best version ( I prefer the Pes 2020 demo to be fair) of all these. Overall Pes 2021 is an excellent game, but -to my personal taste- I got bored of it. It's stiff and AI have no variety. Passing festival. Ai barely dribbles the ball, never tries long shots (like efootball), never pulls tricks and feints. Very linear to my taste. I am very convinced that efootball has better AI since 2022.
I feel much more freedom and unredictability in efootball now. Also analog sprint and R2 pass+shots gives a fresh vibe and new choices in certain situations.
As for being Free, of course you can criticise, but at least it does cost you NOTHING, except for your possibly high and unfulfilled expectations.
It's not perfect, It's decent. Decent but advanced and more "modern" compared to PES.
But again. It's just my opinion.

This is the reason forum exist. To discuss!
So let's see.
In efootball 2023 shielding was manual. A bit uneccessary if no one was near you. Now is automated (like Previous PES) because it's the normal reaction every player would do if someone attacked him to steal the ball. It's an instictive reaction, so I find auto-shield more...realistic and natural.
About Pes 2014-2021, I put them together as it was an "era" of PES, the fox engine era. Of course Pes 2021 is the best version ( I prefer the Pes 2020 demo to be fair) of all these. Overall Pes 2021 is an excellent game, but -to my personal taste- I got bored of it. It's stiff and AI have no variety. Passing festival. Ai barely dribbles the ball, never tries long shots (like efootball), never pulls tricks and feints. Very linear to my taste. I am very convinced that efootball has better AI since 2022.
I feel much more freedom and unredictability in efootball now. Also analog sprint and R2 pass+shots gives a fresh vibe and new choices in certain situations.
As for being Free, of course you can criticise, but at least it does cost you NOTHING, except for your possibly high and unfulfilled expectations.
It's not perfect, It's decent. Decent but advanced and more "modern" compared to PES.
But again. It's just my opinion.
Based on your opinion this is why konami is releasing this kind of poor games

Gameplay is not everything a Game is a whole product and this one is just a mobile game
And for some the opinion is: it's not a product I would spend money in or for since it is missing game modes that are important for long term fun like a Career Mode.

But as a free experience meaning you are enot paying anything to Konami, the gameplay is enjoyable enough to have some nice exhibition matches.

Now if Konami wants to make money from for example me, they will have to offer a product that contains enough modes.

Otherwise I just enjoy some fun exhibition and couch coop matches with friends without spending a dime.

That doesn't mean you want Konami to keep doing the product they do currently, it just means since it is free why not have some fun matches.

You can critique their product strategy and still enjoy playing matches. One does not mean the other is not possible.

Also efootball 25 offers some vs CPU matches with rewards, and the My League mode.
It's not comparable to FIIFA's modes but it's something.
And for me, a fotball game is 95% about gameplay. Because what if there are a ton of modes if you can't enjoy the actual gameplay?
I hope the upcoming update will make it even better and won't ruin it.

'It's free' is not a good excuse for this or any other game. If I had something like a HelloFresh food subscription and they suddenly told me that I didn't have to pay anymore because they would send me roasted tarantulas for free each week I wouldn't just say "Well it's free" and eat the tarantulas.

Going from a paid yearly game with content to the empty demo experience of eFootball can only be a downgrade.

I would give it a good go if it Konami gave me a reason to but there is nothing for me there.

maybe a better comparison: if Pes was a hot and eager girlfriend, eFootball is a porno mag. With no pictures.

'It's free' is not a good excuse for this or any other game. If I had something like a HelloFresh food subscription and they suddenly told me that I didn't have to pay anymore because they would send me roasted tarantulas for free each week I wouldn't just say "Well it's free" and eat the tarantulas.

Going from a paid yearly game with content to the empty demo experience of eFootball can only be a downgrade.

I would give it a good go if it Konami gave me a reason to but there is nothing for me there.

maybe a better comparison: if Pes was a hot and eager girlfriend, eFootball is a porno mag. With no pictures.
I could give a free 'kick in the balls', not sure how many would enjoy it even though it was free

I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit As someone who didn't really like the last PES titles I find EA25 provides some good games. Forget about if it's free or not. People can enjoy the gameplay even though the game modes are barebones. Heck last years Fifa I played a bunch of games and didn't do a career, just games here and there.
I could never play ML in the latest PES due to scripting (and I also remember playing PES 2 and feeling it on rails as well, this was before patches and vanilla though), now I'm playing a league in EF25. it's not much, but good to get a few games here and there.

I get what @flokiman is saying though, I wouldn't necessarily pay for this experience but for free to get some enjoyment why not.

On another note, is there a way to do whipped crosses?

Roasted tarantulas are not really analogous are they?

I agree it's not an excuse. But it's what is there. And it's all that is there. Pes is gone, and doesnt ever seem to be coming back. In one respect , pes has been gone since pes 2008 turned on up on the ps3. Every game since has been a technologically hamstrung impersonation of a pes game.

So I tend to judge it as a free game that i play for a handful of hours over the year, if that.

Konami decided to go free to play when the fan base was incredibly excited after seeing the Messi teaser. Accepting it's a reasonable game given it's free wont harm our chances of getting a proper pes, because those chances are long gone and our desires, our fervour for a great pes game, has clearly never played a part in konami's reasoning.

Last edited:
Above all the game is not free as a generous gift from Konami to their loyal and dedicated fanbase who kept the series alive with option files, mods etc.

It's free to get rid of exactly these fanbase and to bait more and more people into their gambling shit. It's "free" to make a shitload of money with more or less no effort. The fact that the gameplay is probably the best in a long time, well ... just a bad luck for us offline players.

Do people just love to hate eFootball? I'm loving 4.0.0. The gameplay is really enjoyable, especially in comparison with FC25. Online games play perfectly with no lag. Graphics are good. These are the things that matter to me. Yes, there's not many modes to play but in my opinion the game is definitely going in the right direction. For me, currently, it's the only football game on the market worth playing.

How is that better than modded pes21? Someone help me out here.

it's not... modded PES 2021 is still an great game, with a lot of different Goals and the possibility to play football with great ball physics and
great pace on the field.... eFootball vs Pro Evolution Soccer is like comparing Fortnite with Counterstrike...

Do people just love to hate eFootball? I'm loving 4.0.0. The gameplay is really enjoyable, especially in comparison with FC25. Online games play perfectly with no lag. Graphics are good. These are the things that matter to me. Yes, there's not many modes to play but in my opinion the game is definitely going in the right direction. For me, currently, it's the only football game on the market worth playing.
No lag and good graphics, and that is all that matters to you. You are the dream player for today's game developers, the bar can't be lower. Maybe you are one of those "modern audiences" everyone talks about but has never seen. It's a shame you couldn't save Ubisoft from bankruptcy as they relied heavily on you...

Sorry, but I grew up with actual games, real games, full games, and complete games, because if they weren't complete, no one bought them, I know, this sounds unfamiliar and dated or from another universe to you, but there was a time when not everything was so bad, but hey, at least its FREE.

This attacking of each other in this thread is getting really tiring.

I also enjoy efootballs gameplay. And I am one of the old generation. Who grew up with Football games since the NES.

Like I said it's missing modes and I would never pay for the game in the current state if they would ask money for it.

But I do have enjoyable matches on the weekends when some mates are over.

So there is fun to be had. It sadly isn't long term fun because the game is missing too much for that but not everything is black or white like some here want to paint it.

This attacking of each other in this thread is getting really tiring.

I also enjoy efootballs gameplay. And I am one of the old generation. Who grew up with Football games since the NES.

Like I said it's missing modes and I would never pay for the game in the current state if they would ask money for it.

But I do have enjoyable matches on the weekends when some mates are over.

So there is fun to be had. It sadly isn't long term fun because the game is missing too much for that but not everything is black or white like some here want to paint it.
Hi mate don’t worry about it, I think a lot of it is reading the room and understanding the background of who we’re talking to.

Evo-web has been built on that core PES experience, which eFootball is not appealing to, or delivering for.

I think also one part of it is also this deep feeling of betrayal, which to be honest I feel also. This idea that after supporting the series for nearly 30 years, they literally turned their back on the fans, without even warning us and just removing beloved modes by the core fans who kept them alive for so many years.

However, as someone who is enjoying elements of eFootball, I’m pleased to see more opinions like yourself and others speaking openly about the elements we enjoy on here, I felt it was difficult to communicate that on here in fear of being attacked or branded negatively - however at the same time I understand where it is coming from.

Some people tend to get mad if you enjoy a product and they don't. Which I find weird.

Game is ok to get some games in, like Jay Jay said not long term, but gameplay is enjoyable, nothing more nothing less

Someone mentioned tomorrow there is an update is that a gameplay update or just like cards and players and stuff like that?

Some people tend to get mad if you enjoy a product and they don't. Which I find weird.

Game is ok to get some games in, like Jay Jay said not long term, but gameplay is enjoyable, nothing more nothing less

Someone mentioned tomorrow there is an update is that a gameplay update or just like cards and players and stuff like that?
I heard the updates bring gameplay changes, along with new player faces and other updates such as boots/balls etc

Here’s a good video to watch

Last edited:
No lag and good graphics, and that is all that matters to you. You are the dream player for today's game developers, the bar can't be lower. Maybe you are one of those "modern audiences" everyone talks about but has never seen. It's a shame you couldn't save Ubisoft from bankruptcy as they relied heavily on you...

Sorry, but I grew up with actual games, real games, full games, and complete games, because if they weren't complete, no one bought them, I know, this sounds unfamiliar and dated or from another universe to you, but there was a time when not everything was so bad, but hey, at least its FREE.
I grew up with Sensible Soccer, ISS and PES. I used to play on the pesladder back in the day. I know and love PES and when I installed eFootball in 2021 I immediately uninstalled it and never looked at it again until now. I've played FIFA in recent years for my football fix and and when FC25 came out I trialled it and man, what a piece of shit. So I thought I'd try eFootball again and to my surprise it's come on leaps and bounds. Maybe my point was lost in the original post. I'm not saying it's perfect but gameplay, the look of the game and online match play is what matters to me. I recognised that there's a severe lack of content but seeing how it's come on from 2021 to now, I now have high hopes for the future. As for now, I'm enjoying the game a lot.

Hi mate don’t worry about it, I think a lot of it is reading the room and understanding the background of who we’re talking to.

Evo-web has been built on that core PES experience, which eFootball is not appealing to, or delivering for.

I think also one part of it is also this deep feeling of betrayal, which to be honest I feel also. This idea that after supporting the series for nearly 30 years, they literally turned their back on the fans, without even warning us and just removing beloved modes by the core fans who kept them alive for so many years.

However, as someone who is enjoying elements of eFootball, I’m pleased to see more opinions like yourself and others speaking openly about the elements we enjoy on here, I felt it was difficult to communicate that on here in fear of being attacked or branded negatively - however at the same time I understand where it is coming from.

I honestly think you're being far too kind and sympathetic.

Every time theres a new efootball update, somebody will come on here and start laying into somebody who enjoys the game. The lack of self-awareness and emotional maturity is staggering.

This claim to having played 'actual' games, as opposed to games now which are apparently not 'actual' games, and using it as a stick to beat what turns out to probably be a middle aged man is laughable and embarrassing.

It's pure egotistical, entitled self- indulgence.

I've been here since pes 2 or 3. I was at university. I remember thinking pes 6 was such an arcade let down. I've felt disheartened over the years. And yet...I still see elements in efootball that are actually quite good. I also feel anyone who is enjoying it is lucky.

There still seems to be people on this forum who think if somebody posts a positive comment on here about the game, that that will somehow cause konami to dumb the game (which they do not play) further or call a halt to some notional reincarnation of pes that may or may not be in the works somewhere in japan and whose existence is predicated entirely on whether or not positive or negative comments are posted here.

It's a porno mag with only one picture but it's very low resolution and you can barely tell what it is. You're just getting off because you know it's a porno mag that's how I can explain the love of this game. it's just enough to give you that feeling of pes but there's no substance.

Back
Top Bottom