eFootball (All Platforms)

I'm reading some praises for PES 2021 again... Once again the game for me is absolutely nothing compared to efootball... If it was really a "goat" more people would be playing this game not just a handful of people.
I think you'll probably find the majority of PC users are playing this as they can mod it and there are some very good mods. Also football life 24 soon to be 25 (which is pes 21 pre modded and can be modded more with sider) is free and loads of people are playing that . There's a whole Reddit group with megapatch etc. PES 21 modded is still being far the best footy game available.

Most of these mods fix few things and break many others. Tried a lot of them never was impressed by any
Some of the mods do make some of the game areas worse but the likes of Hollands mod and more improve all of it, the latest hollands mod doesnt break any of the original game and improves on every fundamental area

Next to the graphics, the skating is actually my biggest gripe, well, at least, i perceive it as skating. Player movement is more refined, consistent and logical then in previous versions but it still needs to be tightened up. Its hard to put my finger on it but the result is a slight feeling of detachment due to subtle unnatural movements here and there, especially in duels. It could be just me needing to adjust to the controls but I think its more then that. On the one hand I feel the responsiveness is improved but I still cant help feeling like I am playing on a somewhat soapy field. Maybe if l hook up my PS4 controller instead of my 8bitdo it feels better, will try tonight.
Hooked up my PS4 controller yesterday, thinking that would remove some of the detachment. However, I'm afraid the initial shine has already worn off for me. Yes, the ball physics are finger licking good and certain subtle animations look very satisfying. But although I really wanted to like this game, I still come away feeling detached because of what could arguably be described as a restlessness of the players on the field; they go from professional to amateur in split seconds, as if they do not feel confident and capable enough to handle the renewed freedom of (ball) movement.

For me it feels the AI is still struggling to handle the physics engine and thus Konami is unable to inject their opinionated vision of how a football game should feel, which makes the game feel incomplete and shallow. This all is further eroded by how the whole thing is presented, but I could easily turn a blind eye to that if the gameplay was solid. So, imho, the king is not back and still tragically looking to regain its soul in this hellish era of shareholder satisfaction and micro-transactions. Meanwhile, I thankfully still find refugee and enjoyment in playing the un-modded (!) PES2021 version on PS4 as I have discovered that with age a man becomes blessed with the ability to appreciate quality in the things one has and it becomes easier to enjoy them simply for what they are.

Last edited:
Hooked up my PS4 controller yesterday, thinking that would remove some of the detachment. However, I'm afraid the initial shine has already worn off for me. Yes, the ball physics are finger licking good and certain subtle animations look very satisfying. But although I really wanted to like this game, I still come away feeling detached because of what could arguably be described as a restlessness of the players on the field; they go from professional to amateur in split seconds, as if they do not feel confident and capable enough to handle the renewed freedom of (ball) movement.

For me it feels the AI is still struggling to handle the physics engine and thus Konami is unable to inject their opinionated vision of how a football game should feel, as it could do earlier series, which makes the game feel incomplete and shallow. This all is further eroded by how the whole thing is presented, but I could easily turn a blind eye to that if the gameplay was solid. So, imho, the king is not back and still tragically looking to regain its soul in this hellish era of shareholder satisfaction and micro-transactions. Meanwhile, I thankfully still find refugee and enjoyment in playing the un-modded (!) PES2021 version on PS4 as I have discovered that with age a man becomes blessed with the ability to appreciate quality in the things one has and enjoy them simply for what they are.
I been playing Pes21 unmodded and modded since launch.Fuma,legendary AI.

It’s so rubber banded in comparison and in ef25 players off the ball just adjust there movements better.Cutting inside,changing direction mid run and just generally reading the game and positioning themselves better.It makes fuma so less frustrating.

There’s also so much more defensive resistance now.You have to break teams down and actually play football to beat the cpu AI..It’s absolutely majestic how the cpu AI presses space.Intelligently will indentify your strengths and weakness and proactively counter you.

I was one of Pes21 biggest advocates.But imo this is vastly superior.

If anyone’s hammering legendary on fuma I’d love to see it.Because the Ai in this game is ruthless and smart.

It’s so rubber banded in comparison and in ef25 players off the ball just adjust there movements better.Cutting inside,changing direction mid run and just generally reading the game and positioning themselves better.It makes fuma so less frustrating.

There’s also so much more defensive resistance now.You have to break teams down and actually play football to beat the cpu AI..It’s absolutely majestic how the cpu AI presses space.Intelligently will indentify your strengths and weakness and proactively counter you.

If anyone’s hammering legendary on fuma I’d love to see it.Because the Ai in this game is ruthless and smart.
Interesting, I only played on TP so far because I still need to get used to everything but maybe I missed the challenge. I fully agree eF25 does many things better, like player runs (and how they are defended) but in the end it feels too inconsistent still whereas PES2021 to me is a complete 'whole', perhaps not despite but because its constraints. I find terms like 'rubber banded' or 'on rails' are a bit too negative. In the end I experience PES as having a bandwidth of possibilities and the more perfect your execution, the broader that bandwidth becomes. The satisfaction of perfecting your skill to open up those possibilities is what has me still hooked. That's what I meant when I wrote I appreciate it for what it is; a creative arcade representation that successfully triggers my imagination, that can be mastered but never fully. That being said, I will give it another shot on Legendary, maybe pick some Asian teams to slow things down a bit.

Last edited:
I played a game against Real Madrid offline. It was even, I fought for a 2:2 draw and won on penalties. Then I played with the same settings against the worst team from England2. They played like they were on high, after the 1:2 I turned off the console.
I also noticed that the AI team turns up the heat in the second half. From 1 to 6 shots on goal to 8 to 8 shots on goal. And there are too few fouls in the game. I'm already looking forward to the first patch.........

On Legend there are two types of matches.
1. vs big opposition an annoyingly hard game, like the opponent would have Legend only players with 105 ratings and no fatigue
2. vs small opposition an annoyingly easy looking game

both draw at best, maybe a 1 win out of 20-30 games

BUT...Superstar is just so dumb on the other hand and too easy.

Interesting, I only played on TP so far because I still need to get used to everything but maybe I missed the challenge. I fully agree eF25 does many things better, like player runs (and how they are defended) but in the end it feels too inconsistent still whereas PES2021 to me is a complete 'whole', perhaps not despite but because its constraints. I find terms like 'rubber banded' or 'on rails' are a bit too negative. In the end I experience PES as having a bandwidth of possibilities and the more perfect your execution, the broader that bandwidth becomes. The satisfaction of perfecting your skill to open up those possibilities is what has me still hooked. That's what I meant when I wrote I appreciate it for what it is; a creative arcade representation that successfully triggers my imagination, that can be mastered but never fully. That being said, I will give it another shot on Legendary, maybe pick some Asian teams to slow things down a bit.
I love your bandwidth of possibilities quote..

I’ve been flip floppping between Pes21 on the series X and ef25 tonight,equally enjoying both.I dont think there’s a huge difference between the two now.ef25’s physics are on par with Pes21’s now.As is the overall gameplay(depth,variety) and game speed.

Generally ef25 shines on animations.I wouldn’t say it’s anymore responsive though or is there any real dumbing down of the gameplay.

OK the more I play the more I like it. There is depth to the gameplay.

I just play Spurs v Arsenal in exhibition continuously to challenge myself and get revenge ;)

I've had to tinker with my formation and way I defend etc like 20-25 times before I found one that allowed me to dominate and start beating Arsenal regularly and stop them getting through on goal for 1 or 2+ goals a game.

Also, I can now do nice tight little turns with the R1/RB button, it works great to go around players then burst away with sprint.

Pes2021 is hugely overrated

I love your bandwidth of possibilities quote..

I’ve been flip floppping between Pes21 on the series X and ef25 tonight,equally enjoying both.I dont think there’s a huge difference between the two now.ef25’s physics are on par with Pes21’s now.As is the overall gameplay(depth,variety) and game speed.

Generally ef25 shines on animations.I wouldn’t say it’s anymore responsive though or is there any real dumbing down of the gameplay.
Snuck in a game before work on legendary and after a short period of adjusting myself I enjoyed that one. Especially by the end when I started feeling more in control and it became more easy to predict what will happen so I could choose the correct moments to take a risk or hold back. A difference I feel is that in eF you have to be more precise, especially in your passing as full manual feels more manual, especially with lesser teams. I really need to let go my ingrained way of playing, take a step back and re-learn how to react in each situation. My main gripes currently are player switching and players being unaware of the ball sometimes. Some of the keeper animation seems to somewhat of a dissonance as well. Ugh, now I have to choose which game to start up every time. Hopefully I am not ruining my 2021 experience too much by investing in eF25, I almost feel like I am cheating on PES.

@flokiman Is that with grass length on long?

I follow him, he's the biggest PES fanboy ever, his support and enthusiasm hasn't waived a jot in years. Been positive about EF24/25 the whole time, as he said he can see the vision and can see that Konami are trying to create a good game.
But he really saw the value in version 0.9 and what that represented interms of a sim..He also understands how good and simulated pes14 is.

His vision like many of us is just a better more simulated game.That doesn’t weaken the core values of pes.

It’s a great video a fare reflection of the quality of the game offline.

I played the v 0.9.1 again.
I remember back then, in 2022, I was amazed from the animation detail, the smoothness, the sharp touch freedom, the sense of inertia.
Today I did a fair and straight comparison, to see if the game is indeed ruined.
No. efootball 2025 is actually better.
The animations are smoother, the sense of inertia and sharp touch is still here (a bit tighter), but still here, freedom aswell. Game is way more responsive, but not clunky. Ball is faster, sharp pass and shooting is here. Graphics are much better now aswell. I can't find a single thing that v 0.9.1 did better, maybe the 1 on 1 battles and the match up with X button, making defending more manual and interesting.
Efootball 2025 is an evolution of efootball 2022, in a good way.
So my conclusion is that I was in love with v 0.9.1 because it was something new and innovative, so my memory record it as something very good.
Now because of the 3 years of evolution and the subtle changes in every update, I can't sense the progress and I compare a game that I play for 3 years with an original impression that awed me.
Today I realized that efootball 2025 is the best version ever existed. Flawed still, but still better.

Last edited:
I'm just passing by to see the opinions and I'm delighted to see that people share mine, I only play offline for now and I'm on my ass! The gameplay additions, player animations and especially the dribbling are just incredible for me, it's a treat every time I start a match. The more you play with a "reasonable" team, the more fun you have. The AI has really been worked on a lot in this version, it makes new moves that I have never seen in a football game. The difficulty levels are also very adjusted.

This is the only version of Efootball that can make me stay on the game knowing that I hated almost all the others.
Hoping that it doesn't change too much this season and that it adds content, I wish you all a good game!

I'm just passing by to see the opinions and I'm delighted to see that people share mine, I only play offline for now and I'm on my ass! The gameplay additions, player animations and especially the dribbling are just incredible for me, it's a treat every time I start a match. The more you play with a "reasonable" team, the more fun you have. The AI has really been worked on a lot in this version, it makes new moves that I have never seen in a football game. The difficulty levels are also very adjusted.

This is the only version of Efootball that can make me stay on the game knowing that I hated almost all the others.
Hoping that it doesn't change too much this season and that it adds content, I wish you all a good game!

What settings do you use? Length /difficulty?

Pes2021 is hugely overrated

I think many regard Pes 2021, as a whole, to be considered the most complete (gameplay, animations, modes etc) total packaged Pes to ever exist, with the least amount of flaws. And with the added bonus of being the most openly modded version. So much has been possible with this game over the last 4 years. For me, it trumps in what I consider the 2 most fundamental factors of a successful football sim, i.e. 1. the controls and how it feels on the ball (movement and ball physics), and 2. the AI, specifically the variation of the cpu AI in a p.1 vs cpu game. Over the last week I have been back and forth between pes2021 (+ Hollands real pes 2025 GP patch) and efootball (2025). I enjoy both equally, and playing one doesn't diminish my pleasure of immediately playing the other. I thought playing this new smoother efootball would turn me off pes2021's slightly more rigid/on rails feel, but no... the GP mod from Holland is honestly so damn next level good, that for me it's a brand new game with the best cpu AI ive ever experienced in a football sim. Gameplay so balanced, in terms of fairness, AI variations (mistakes, attacking patterns), and Im seeing things I've never seen before... and all whilst playing full manual on Legend. Anyways.... then i go to efootball, and similarly Im loving it, in particular the smoother off rails feeling when on the ball, and what I consider a looser, more realistic set of ball physics. And for a vanilla version, the AI (again on full manual, Legend) is probably the best we've seen... Im seeing AI making regular mistakes, as well as having more variation in regards to taking me on dribbling wise, cutting in, shooting from distance etc. More variations in attack than previous versions.

I still can't get how people admire ef2025 ball physics. The ball bounces excessively, and rolls way too long. IT's like the physics were studied on a cement/wooden floor. You can't feel the friction and the thickness of the grass. Also, the ball doesn't travel naturally on ground.
Pes 2021 felt more real I think.

Thats precisely what i like about ef2025's ball physics.. the ball continues to roll, which to me seems more realistic, creating a feeling of a looser ball with the realistic momentum behind it. I actually think ef2025's ball kicking sound is awesome, and helps create the feeling of realistic weight of the ball moving around the pitch. I definitely get a more reactive and realistic feeling when passing or shooting in ef2025 compared to the excellent pes2021.

Again, both games are doing it for me (Full manual, Legend 12 mins, Exhibition offline). Also, im wondering if grass length, wet vs dry, actually has anything to do with how the ball feels... from memory I haven't really noticed any big differences in how they feel. Im always playing on wet turf, and normal length.

just played two cheaters in a row, one having Malaysia and one having Indonesia. their players are 70-80 rating but ingame they have obviously maxed stats. even their CB can outrun a top player and dribble smoothly

Back
Top Bottom