eFootball (All Platforms)

I dont play pes 20/21 for the longest time but does that game has the same AI assistance when defending? I cant remember
Not really in efootball the best way to play is to switch to your keeper and let the AI win the ball back for you. This isn't a football simulator it's an attacking simulator just one two passing through balls and shooting

Totally disagree. A game is either a football game, or it isn't. A game where a £100m defender floats around serving no function (and not improving your defence through his positioning, movement and/or marking) unless you hold his hand for him, isn't a football game. It's a 1v1-skill-gap-me-bro money-spinner. (In my opinion.) The best PES games ever were football games.

I prefer to have a solution in between. The AI players should not pressure automatically like in the video. Either you do it yourself or you use the team mate press button. The only other automatism is tackles that happen because the opponent striker walked to close to an AI defender. Else they should just be passive, walk along. The video is ridiculous. If I want a football game that plays everything for me, I go play Football Manager instead. At the end I should be in control and if I suck at attacking or defending, I should be punished and not blame the game for not playing automatically for me.

Not really in efootball the best way to play is to switch to your keeper and let the AI win the ball back for you. This isn't a football simulator it's an attacking simulator just one two passing through balls and shooting
No that is not the best way to play or to defend. you will most likely to conceed goals if you do that for the entire match

If defense is automatic like video shows then where is your defending style? iTs all about attacking passing and triangles running ahead. Poor game.

Been a while! It’s been 2 years since I bought a football game and maybe 4 since I played on for more than a couple of weeks.

I still can’t stomach fifa, feels like that’s going backwards. Is there any signs of life with efootball in the couple of years it’s had updates? @Chris Davies we’re usually fairly aligned, is pes in any sort of playable state?

@Chris Davies we’re usually fairly aligned, is pes in any sort of playable state?
Nope. Football games are no longer football games, they're 1v1-me-bro skill-gap pick-up-and-score experiences with zero teamwork / AI / realism... and they always will be. There'll never be something like a playable Football Manager. Only Fortnite with football kits on.

A heavily-modded PES 2021 on PC is pretty good fun, but you have to accept that it doesn't have the same dedication to recreating actual football the older games had... and I find that very difficult to do, because that's all I'll ever want.

Such a shame, man. Used to spend hours and hours unwinding with football games. Never found anything suspend my reality and relax me like the old football games did.

more than anything now they’re just not at all fun. I agree with you about the skill gap thing too, the whole genre is dead.

If defense is automatic like video shows then where is your defending style? iTs all about attacking passing and triangles running ahead. Poor game.
You can check the defending style under the team playstyle. The player in the video most likely is using quick counter or possession which utilize frontline pressure defending.
Weird that theyve combined attck and defense tactic under one playstyle. Before you can choose how you want to attack and defense separately.

Even though I love the retro editions, I actually think that modded PES 2021 is also a great, great experience, a brilliant representation of football. :)

What I like most about it is that it is constantly evolving, as the community is always active with new scoreboards, a variety of gameplays (literally hundreds of possible combinations) and all kinds of modifications. And with so many of us disenchanted at the current Coinami direction, it certainly looks like modding will continue for a long time.

Saw a rumour about Konami apparently having a deal with Sony to make different games exclusive to PlayStation (Metal Gear Solid 3 remake, Silent hill etc) and just thinking if we had a proper next gen PES, or a company like Sony invested in it. Instead we get eFootball.

It's both amazing and sad at the same time! Konami's Silent Hills and Metal Gear Solid is trending for the last 10-12 hours, it's blowing the internet, which just goes to show the immense power and dedicated fanbase behind these IPs.
Many other companies have been trying to achieve the same level of success throughout their existence, but most of them will never have it.
However, it's disappointing to see that Konami has been mismanaging and ruing all their franchises for the last decade, but despite all that they carry so much weight in the industry.. it's just unbelievable.

Last edited:
Coinami are outsourcing their AAA gaming IPs to other companies. That alone should tell you that their in-house development team absolutely sucks. I'm not going to hold it against the devs because the company they work for have completely lost the plot.

It's almost 2 years since the game was released and it doesn't have basic things like a weather system lol.

Last edited:
So I bit the bullet and downloaded this yesterday as I haven't tried it since it was released.

This is probably the finest example of giving your customers exactly what they don't want or need. From a User Experience perspective it fails in multiple places too (I'm currently a principle UX at a big software company).

So where do you begin?

Well the menus and UI is some of the worst I've ever seen for a supposed top title. The colours and fonts could seriously trigger a seizure along with those kits the players are wearing, I mean seriously? It all looks over saturated, clunky and is extremely overbearing.

So the first thing it does is asks me to select my base team, so I picked Atalanta. Does that mean I get their kits and stadium? Dunno didn't try and find out as I hate the thought of building my own team and then applying a real life kit to it. I also noticed the starter players I was gifted, everyone gets. Why cant they give you some random starters to make things interesting?

Anyway I gave up on the online stuff almost immediately, I think the whole concept of esports and spend to win is one of the most abhorrent things anyone has ever come up with. There is no genuine attempt to compete online and to play fair and to enjoy the game, its just assisted shitness with, in most cases, the player with the best players winning and not giving a damn about how they play to achieve it.

So I thought ok, they must have some single player content by now and pleasantly I found the (rather limited) match mode. So I chose a friendly and picked my teams. Originally I was impressed they had so many leagues but upon further inspection theres very few teams within each league. I chose Atalanta and decided to play Serie B Pisa which was the only team available from that league.

The intro screen looks ok, the stadiums look nice. I chose day and it had the sprinklers on which was a nice touch and the actual graphics of the stadium looks really good. So I moved on to settings and oh my giddy aunt, what were they thinking? Firstly, they list you options YOU CANNOT SELECT. Why? I don't want to play Beginner or Regular I want professional. I can see it but I cant select it. I can see weather types but I cant select it. Why? Why put them in if you cant choose them? How frustrating is that? So now im stuck on Regular which is pants.

I start the game and get some nice but pointless cut scenes although I do like the warm ups with the lineups. So I set my camera and kick off and the first thing I notice is how fluid players move and the dribbling. Thats probably the nicest thing about the entire game. Its all downhill from here though. Several things struck me:

Its absolutely easy as pie to play this game, theres zero challenge. So I go into controller because I remember im FUMA and it will make the CPU more challenging. Shock horror I can only go manual shooting. No advanced through ball and a forced passing assist!!! No wonder its easy! Regular plus assisted. Catering to kids to get them hooked on this garbage no doubt.

The rest of the game is meh, an uninteresting AI, a slightly more polished set of visuals over Pes 21that look too clinical and have no personality compared to the previous game. Same animation sets but it feels worse because the shooting is assisted and bland and the keepers do floaty dives. The game just lacks atmosphere and personality, plus where the player shadows? Makes them look like they are levitating across the pitch.

Oh and the cursors! Each player looks like he's running with a gigantic hula hoop at his feet! And he has an arrow on his head too! Spoils the attempt to imagine real matches, keep the cursors minimal.

Anyway could only stomach another few minutes before turning it off and uninstalling. An absolute tragedy.

Pes 21 modded on PC blows this sky high out of the water. Fifa 23 blows this out of the water and at least it has some single player modes and plenty of customisable options.

Imagine if Konami just applied the new dribbling mechanics to Pes 21 and introduced a more polished visual look and worked on keepers and some other little bits, they'd have a bona fide hit on their hands. But no they destroyed a franchise in the pursuit of making a quick buck.

So I bit the bullet and downloaded this yesterday as I haven't tried it since it was released.

This is probably the finest example of giving your customers exactly what they don't want or need. From a User Experience perspective it fails in multiple places too (I'm currently a principle UX at a big software company).

So where do you begin?

Well the menus and UI is some of the worst I've ever seen for a supposed top title. The colours and fonts could seriously trigger a seizure along with those kits the players are wearing, I mean seriously? It all looks over saturated, clunky and is extremely overbearing.

So the first thing it does is asks me to select my base team, so I picked Atalanta. Does that mean I get their kits and stadium? Dunno didn't try and find out as I hate the thought of building my own team and then applying a real life kit to it. I also noticed the starter players I was gifted, everyone gets. Why cant they give you some random starters to make things interesting?

Anyway I gave up on the online stuff almost immediately, I think the whole concept of esports and spend to win is one of the most abhorrent things anyone has ever come up with. There is no genuine attempt to compete online and to play fair and to enjoy the game, its just assisted shitness with, in most cases, the player with the best players winning and not giving a damn about how they play to achieve it.

So I thought ok, they must have some single player content by now and pleasantly I found the (rather limited) match mode. So I chose a friendly and picked my teams. Originally I was impressed they had so many leagues but upon further inspection theres very few teams within each league. I chose Atalanta and decided to play Serie B Pisa which was the only team available from that league.

The intro screen looks ok, the stadiums look nice. I chose day and it had the sprinklers on which was a nice touch and the actual graphics of the stadium looks really good. So I moved on to settings and oh my giddy aunt, what were they thinking? Firstly, they list you options YOU CANNOT SELECT. Why? I don't want to play Beginner or Regular I want professional. I can see it but I cant select it. I can see weather types but I cant select it. Why? Why put them in if you cant choose them? How frustrating is that? So now im stuck on Regular which is pants.

I start the game and get some nice but pointless cut scenes although I do like the warm ups with the lineups. So I set my camera and kick off and the first thing I notice is how fluid players move and the dribbling. Thats probably the nicest thing about the entire game. Its all downhill from here though. Several things struck me:

Its absolutely easy as pie to play this game, theres zero challenge. So I go into controller because I remember im FUMA and it will make the CPU more challenging. Shock horror I can only go manual shooting. No advanced through ball and a forced passing assist!!! No wonder its easy! Regular plus assisted. Catering to kids to get them hooked on this garbage no doubt.

The rest of the game is meh, an uninteresting AI, a slightly more polished set of visuals over Pes 21that look too clinical and have no personality compared to the previous game. Same animation sets but it feels worse because the shooting is assisted and bland and the keepers do floaty dives. The game just lacks atmosphere and personality, plus where the player shadows? Makes them look like they are levitating across the pitch.

Oh and the cursors! Each player looks like he's running with a gigantic hula hoop at his feet! And he has an arrow on his head too! Spoils the attempt to imagine real matches, keep the cursors minimal.

Anyway could only stomach another few minutes before turning it off and uninstalling. An absolute tragedy.

Pes 21 modded on PC blows this sky high out of the water. Fifa 23 blows this out of the water and at least it has some single player modes and plenty of customisable options.

Imagine if Konami just applied the new dribbling mechanics to Pes 21 and introduced a more polished visual look and worked on keepers and some other little bits, they'd have a bona fide hit on their hands. But no they destroyed a franchise in the pursuit of making a quick buck.
Unmodded Pes 21 blows eFootball out of the water. Well, most games do anyway.

A couple of things though, you can turn the hula hoop off and there is manual passing, it just has some ass backwards name now which I forget. Passing assist 4 maybe? They turned everything on its head for no reason, like that terrible formation screen.

A couple of things though, you can turn the hula hoop off and there is manual passing, it just has some ass backwards name now which I forget. Passing assist 4 maybe? They turned everything on its head for no reason, like that terrible formation screen.
Really? I would never have figured out passing assist 4 would mean manual. Crazy!

PES 21 is one of the most on-rails PES ever made (so as PES2020 because they are the same game).
The core of eFootball gameplay (release and v1.0) were far advanced in on-the-pitch action.

Despite the huge pile of crap around eFootball but that doesn't make PES 2021 a good game.

Even FIFA doesn't feel on rails with catch up everywhere like in 21, where Matip can catch up Messi dribbling full speed toward goal.

So where do you begin?

I agree on all your points except that:
1. Regular difficulty is obviously way too easy.
2. You can turn off most indicators and there is option for manual passing.
3. AI in efootball is better than previous game imo.

I too have not touched the game for weeks and just played some offline games recently. Got to say its not that bad. Some highlights:

Why would Konami, having chucked all ambition out the window to make a quick buck with eFootball, suddenly make it next (current) gen exlusive? They are used to making strange decisions but they are not entirely brain dead.

PES 21 is one of the most on-rails PES ever made (so as PES2020 because they are the same game).
The core of eFootball gameplay (release and v1.0) were far advanced in on-the-pitch action.

Despite the huge pile of crap around eFootball but that doesn't make PES 2021 a good game.

Even FIFA doesn't feel on rails with catch up everywhere like in 21, where Matip can catch up Messi dribbling full speed toward goal.

PES 2021, when played on full manual passing, and basic shooting (I mix between shooting with the full manual aimer, and basic as I believe there is a great balance of variety and contextual shooting this way - best of both worlds so to speak) is the least on rails football game out there. And then you add the most recent of Holland's gameplay mods, and you see stuff you are just never meant to see.... greater variety of shots and headers, weird trajectories, unseen cpu attacking scenarios and unseen errors, plus a whole load of animations I have never seen before. Ive played a whopping 892 hours of Pes2021 on pc (can't believe it!!), and over the last few weeks have had the best games ive ever played. On-rails??!! far from it.

But their gameplay is realistic
This sums up this game pretty well a cheap scripted goal, opponent going full blue after a lucky goal and of course the kick off exploits that haven't been fixed since day one.

PES 2021, when played on full manual passing, and basic shooting (I mix between shooting with the full manual aimer, and basic as I believe there is a great balance of variety and contextual shooting this way - best of both worlds so to speak) is the least on rails football game out there. And then you add the most recent of Holland's gameplay mods, and you see stuff you are just never meant to see.... greater variety of shots and headers, weird trajectories, unseen cpu attacking scenarios and unseen errors, plus a whole load of animations I have never seen before. Ive played a whopping 892 hours of Pes2021 on pc (can't believe it!!), and over the last few weeks have had the best games ive ever played. On-rails??!! far from it.
I have north of 600 hours on PES 21 and about 200 on 20. Manual passing and shooting never corrects linear dribbling and movement, because it's deeply coded in game engine. And even pretending it's not a rail game, you come to catch up bug which is hilarious at best and too silly. Did I talk about every free kick results in a goal and the awful AI?

We all played PES 21 because that's what we had at the time. But it's too primitive if you look objectively too it. Even GP mods can amend few things yes, but introduce numerous other problems. Scoreboards will not make it play better.

eFootball can be miles more advanced and simulation, if developer wanted it to be, and have the knowledge and experience to work on UE4 and have the will to please offline players.

Again that's my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to play the old 1.0 release, I enjoyed so much more the momentum based gameplay. Even if it was not refined because it felt like dribbling and defending made abit more sense. I hope when the modders fully get hold of this and master league comes out that we can get some modded gameplay to add abit of the realism back in while keeping the less buggy gameplay

Last edited:
I play PA1 in PES 2021 (love the passing stats weight) and agree with everything said here. I don't feel the game is on-rails at all, and especially with all the brilliant gameplay mods available, as well as AI improvements and tweaks, I think the game flows really well. Like @aussiepesfan mentioned, the number of attacking styles, errors, and human-like situations really keep the game entertaining. Unmodded PES 2017 remains my favorite football game of all time in terms of pure gameplay, but with the mods, PES 2021 is really shining, the unpredictability is something else (ball trajectories, human behaviors, defensive lapses, moments of individual brilliance), and the best part is, IMO it's continuing to get better with all the gameplay combinations.

Back
Top Bottom