eFootball (All Platforms)

The visuals on the PS5 version of eFootball are painfully bad.

I can’t speak for PC, Xbox or mobile as I haven’t played it on those platforms and I don’t intend to.

But on the powerful PS5 this games is laughably bad, on and off the pitch.

Konami don’t even pretend to give a crap anymore. This is (was) one of their flagship series. And as the same with Metal Gear, they’ve pissed off 99% of their loyal fanbase. I loved PES and the MG games. Adored, in fact. How anyone - literally, how ANY one person can fire up this abomination of a game and spend longer than 10 minutes with it is beyond me.

Shooting feels so underwhelming. I feel nothing. NADA. Zero. Zilch - when I score a goal in this. Pitches look dull and bland. Commentary is dog turd. The presentation in general is like something you would expect from an Amiga 500 game.

We’re fast approaching that time of year when all of us would be excited for a new PES release. It’s so damn sad that I don’t have that anymore and that it’s been replaced by this steaming pile of poo.

These are really depressing times when it comes to the state of modern football gaming.

The visuals on the PS5 version of eFootball are painfully bad.

I can’t speak for PC, Xbox or mobile as I haven’t played it on those platforms and I don’t intend to.

But on the powerful PS5 this games is laughably bad, on and off the pitch.

Konami don’t even pretend to give a crap anymore. This is (was) one of their flagship series. And as the same with Metal Gear, they’ve pissed off 99% of their loyal fanbase. I loved PES and the MG games. Adored, in fact. How anyone - literally, how ANY one person can fire up this abomination of a game and spend longer than 10 minutes with it is beyond me.

Actually they did more than piss off their fanbase; they took their most acclaimed/beloved franchises and buried them alive deeper into the grave, necromancing this special colorful husk, as next-gen entertainment:

Pachinko.jpg

At least we have the comfort that Pro Evolution Soccer™ after more than two decades of memorable moments is finally resting peacefully...

Actually they did more than piss off their fanbase; they took their most acclaimed/beloved franchises and buried them alive deeper into the grave, necromancing this special colorful husk, as next-gen entertainment:

View attachment 177752

At least we have the comfort that Pro Evolution Soccer™ after more than two decades of memorable moments is finally resting peacefully...
Do we really have the comfort? I don't trust KONAMI. The other game is in a sad state and it will be even worse next year. They'll milk as much as they can for 2 years from the "free" Efootball thing and I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a reboot of Pro Evolution Soccer. They'll call it Pro Evolution Soccer: Origins.

Ok i have to say this again. Every real football game has a story within the game. Im not talking about the derbies or league standings or events leading to the game, im talking about how the game eventually unfolds throughout the 90 mins.

PES 5/6 had rival matches where AI would constantly foul, or even normal matches with too much user foul would lead to specific cutscenes (ref intervening players who'd getting physical). Last moment dramatic goal showing fans in the cutscene, injuries, types of injuries, players picking up ball for quick restart, animation for goalie making a crucial save etc etc. There were animations and cutscenes for pivotal instances throughout the game. Every game felt like it had an event in it thanks to the relevant animations/cutscenes associated with the context.

Fast forward today, efootball 2023 and we have cutscenes that are so disjointed, so misdirected, they are total dogshit. Goalie makes a normal save and then reacts in the most condescending manner or the instance when they point towards the direction where there's noone. A blatant yellow leads to players surround refs as if its the wrong call. The cutscenes are exaggeration, totally irrelevant of what is happening on the pitch or the context. Some of the players reaction to missing the shots are just irritating, you just cant associate to what is happening on the pitch. The game has some good moments, but its just there, it has no personality.

At this point, Coinami should get out of the gaming industry and sell feet pics instead. WTF IS THIS????

But don't worry guys, Coinami rep says they are listening and reporting on community feedback. Everything is going to be A-Ok. ;))

Last edited:
Thats it. This game is a big fuckyourself to everyone who remotely tries to play football with it.

2.0 is one of the worst footy games ever.
I do you one better.

At this point, Coinami should get out of the gaming industry and sell feet pics instead. WTF IS THIS????

I'm just waiting for the fanboy who sees the above videos and comes in with this clip, and says "iT hApPeNs In ReAl LiFe ToO".

At which point I swear to Christ I'll find a way to delete this place from the internet.

Wow, looks like they've ruined the game, because you guys couldn't appreciate the genius & realism of the 0.9 version. 😅
Could be a troll, but the comments below are nothing short of hilarious.

the 0.9.1 was way better

efootballlol.JPG

EDIT: I just want to add that the issue of defending isn't so much with how assisted it is. Not to say it isn't an issue with this game, but for me, It's more to do with how stupid they are during the game. AI is a huge necessity in all football games. You can't do every single thing on the pitch by yourself. AI has to be the anchor that holds this game (or any sports game) and it hasn't. This is why you're seeing so many videos on twitter and reddit of comical defending and shithouse goalkeepers because the AI isn't as smart as some people would like to think. AI was also an issue in PES, but not at this level. I really wish developers and publishers would put more of a emphasis in AI development of these games. I don't know whether it's pure laziness or them not having the tools available.

Last edited:
I tend to agree as well. I recall the dribbling mechanism in 0.9 as being at least reasonably fun, had potential and offered glimpses of attempts to innovate, even if the wider gameplay was a mess. But the recent versions have just reverted back to a bland game of sprinting/ping-ponging that I find no more enticing than FIFA. It looks like football games will be stuck in 2010 forever because that's the kind of gameplay most people want.

Could be a troll, but the comments below are nothing short of hilarious.

the 0.9.1 was way better

View attachment 177903

EDIT: I just want to add that the issue of defending isn't so much with how assisted it is. Not to say it isn't an issue with this game, but for me, It's more to do with how stupid they are during the game. AI is a huge necessity in all football games. You can't do every single thing on the pitch by yourself. AI has to be the anchor that holds this game (or any sports game) and it hasn't. This is why you're seeing so many videos on twitter and reddit of comical defending and shithouse goalkeepers because the AI isn't as smart as some people would like to think. AI was also an issue in PES, but not at this level. I really wish developers and publishers would put more of a emphasis in AI development of these games. I don't know whether it's pure laziness or them not having the tools available.
It amazes me how this myth of "manual defending" in the early versions has persisted. It's always been incredibly automated. I mean, ffs, you cannot switch off auto-tackle – not just slides, but generic sticking-the-foot-out tackles. In the first version, you could just hold Physical Defending button and it homed in. Later, Match Up proved similarly effective. People only seem to be noticing it now, but it's not that new.

In older titles, if you wanted to be effective, you normally had to manually press space and players while using the second player press to close in on the ball carrier, then switch to them to make the tackle (or else incur a foul). As a process that required more constant attention and cycling of manual input than just letting the team sit back and using one player to home in on the ball carrier and auto tackle when close.

Literally the only thing about defending in eFootball that held a claim to being "manual" was that you could be easily wrongfooted if you got into a one-on-one, meaning in the initial approach you had to be careful, and that's partly due to the ridiculously implemented "match up" system which exaggerates and seemingly randomly triggers animations. I imagine that has been nerfed a bit and that's caused some of the complaints. But it was frankly a shit implementation to begin with.

It amazes me how this myth of "manual defending" in the early versions has persisted. It's always been incredibly automated. I mean, ffs, you cannot switch off auto-tackle – not just slides, but generic sticking-the-foot-out tackles. In the first version, you could just hold Physical Defending button and it homed in. Later, Match Up proved similarly effective. People only seem to be noticing it now, but it's not that new.

+

I've only played one match of the new release (so a very small evidence base)

I try to ignore misinformation from people who aren't really playing EF, but it's getting harder and harder.

As someone who's played 254 hours of EF22-23, and 700 hours of PES21, allow me to offer five statements to counter the argument of janguv who by his own admission, "only played one match of the new release", but it doesn't stop him from being one of the louder voices on this game's thread:

1) Defending in PES in more automated than EF. You hold "Press", your player runs to the opposition in possession and attempts to dispossess him.

2) There is no way to intercept passes in PES. You can run into the path of the ball, and hope the player attempts to take it. More often than not, he won't.

3) Defending in EF 0.9 was only better in theory, but was as bad as PES: Instead of holding Press, you held both matchup and physical defending and the same result happened. No finesse/timing/skill required. You didn't get penalized for lunging from the back. It was horrible.

4) Defending in EF +1.0 is not perfect, but an improvement of the old gen defending: You need to hold match up, which modifies the player's animation and makes him more "ready to lunge". When you deem it a good moment to tackle, you press physical defending and your player lunges into the tackle. Lunging from behind leads to fouls and sometimes cards. It's a huge improvement.

5) There is a way to intentionally intercept passes in EF: You place your player close to the ball's path with match up engaged, and he will attempt to intercept it. Again, neither of these mechanisms are perfect, but they exist and they work most of the time. Needless to say, the are a huge improvement over the previous systems or lack thereof.

Anyone reading this, take from it what you will. This is just my opinion based on my hours of playing this game everyday.

Last edited:
What's wrong with having automated defense? @The_Knight i will speak in general : i don't play efootball... For the moment. Won't force myself when the ball physics rythm is "under construction", and Chris and Chilleverest resumed well : the power shifting from the foot to the ball (sorry for my english)

But i see it, i feel it in everything : there's thing that doesn't need 700 hours of play to get a conclusion. I also got 25 years of football experience behind me aswell as tons of members here, you're probably younger and started later. It's not all about number of hours to play > equal right, like we thought the earth was the center of the universe during milleniums (while Greek was far more advanced then after in cosmology : older but righter). That doens't mean it was right.

All the more realistic and funnier PES were the ones who got the strongest defense, the most easy to handle (with some limits : WE9 teamate pressing was too much effective, let's not exaggerate. I got 17 fault in one game a moment ago lol, 10 minutes).
I don't even talk about the impossibility to pass a defence like gabe said (ain't sure about it) etc., only one thing:

Attacking is FAR easier to defend in a football GAME. It's the opposite in reality, but we ended with score like 8-10 etc. well just a anecdote, nothing relevant.

Defending has to got more variety, that's sure. We all agree. It needs an "interception" button or something automtic (to me automated is better, there's already teammate help etc.), pressing without tackling will try to get the ball physically and should took more time, call it "block defending", while pressing with tackling more directly to counter, not quite hard if the player is good in defense.

Interceptions > midfield battle. Easier defending > midfield battle. Smaller pitch / players closer to each other / Interception easier > Midfield battle.

I would love for a game to get back to basics, why they did a pitch smaller, how they calibrated the game to have almost everything related to football divided by 9 or 8.5 (12 minutes for Fifa)... But visuals matters too muchs nowadays. Impossible to step back for EF. Fifa to me is so awful that i don't even considers it as a game anymore, completely lost hope of redemption.

EF, as shit as it is and badly programmed (keepers and all fails) looks much more like a football game. That's all, so it's EF, or another game.

But... Them or another company who will sort out a football game as the market will be full of shit and their devs are old PES or Fifa PS3 football fans wanting to play again will say "there's nothing for us to play during pause ? Most popular game in the world not even looking like football plenty of bug? Hold my beer..."

That's a dream of course. But every game got their "sim" and their "arcade" derivation. I would tolerate smaller pitch and things not sized exactly for the sake of having more midfield, more fouls, more football. Not especially sim, but PES or FIFA level golden era : Action-football.

Note : 07:50 Final post full EDIT

Last edited:
+

I try to ignore misinformation from people who aren't really playing EF, but it's getting harder and harder.
Here you go again, making the same arguments that were fully rebutted last time you made them. There is no agenda against efootball old pal, you are part of the minority that likes the game and that's fine. At this point you just seem like you are trying to cause trouble on the forum because you hold a grudge against janguv who so eloquently destroyed your flimsy logic last time round.

+

As someone who's played 254 hours of EF22-23, and 700 hours of PES21, allow me to offer five statements to counter the argument of janguv who by his own admission, "only played one match of the new release", but it doesn't stop him from being one of the louder voices on this game's thread:

1) Defending in PES in more automated than EF. You hold "Press", your player runs to the opposition in possession and attempts to dispossess him.

2) There is no way to intercept passes in PES. You can run into the path of the ball, and hope the player attempts to take it. More often than not, he won't.

3) Defending in EF 0.9 was only better in theory, but was as bad as PES: Instead of holding Press, you held both matchup and physical defending and the same result happened. No finesse/timing/skill required. You didn't get penalized for lunging from the back. It was horrible.

4) Defending in EF +1.0 is not perfect, but an improvement of the old gen defending: You need to hold match up, which modifies the player's animation and makes him more "ready to lunge". When you deem it a good moment to tackle, you press physical defending and your player lunges into the tackle. Lunging from behind leads to fouls and sometimes cards. It's a huge improvement.

5) There is a way to intentionally intercept passes in EF: You place your player close to the ball's path with match up engaged, and he will attempt to intercept it. Again, neither of these mechanisms are perfect, but they exist and they work most of the time. Needless to say, the are a huge improvement over the previous systems or lack thereof.

Anyone reading this, take from it what you will. This is just my opinion based on my hours of playing this game everyday.
"Misinformation" lol. This is such a weird post :LOL: Not least for this posturing as an authority with your Very Impressive Hours Played count, positioning yourself against a person who said two weeks ago they had only played one match of the latest version. This is clearly a sign that you're interested in good faith discussion. (As it happens, I'm probably up to an also very impressive five games played of eFootball 2023 now – go me!)

Never mind that most of my post didn't relate to eFootball 2023, by the way.

As to what you say:

Point 1 is false, per my argument in the last post; what you say isn't an effective argument against mine, but just a stating of the presupposition I explicitly denied. You might have an argument for your assertion, but at present it's just bald. Point 2 is false, as anyone with a memory of PES can attest; the difference between old PES interceptions and match-up interceptions now (by which I mean pre-2023, since I've not played much of that, to your shock and horror) is that match-up intercepting animations are much more frequent and exaggerated. A similar claim to your point 3 is in my first paragraph in the post you're replying to. Point 4 involves an assertion I also made, you just place a different value judgement on it; as for the physical defending option – it's not that unique or different, and in any case, your player will auto-tackle when close enough anyway, whether you want it or not. Point 5 – ah, the much-vaunted intentional interceptions; have argued at length about that before, don't really need to rehearse it. It's funny how, in your elaboration of this really super intentional mechanism you end up exposing how automated it is: "You place your player close to the ball's path with match up engaged, and he will attempt to intercept it." Manual defending, ladies and gentlemen!

I could go more in-depth here, but what's the point? You yourself don't respond to points actually made half the time, instead cherrypicking half points, straw-manning, and inserting irrelevant asides that don't relate to what I've actually said. There's even parts of your argument above that re-assert points I've already made lol.

Lastly, this preoccupation you have with who gets to have an opinion on the game, or who ought to be listened to (nay, even "liked" by way of forum reaction clicks), is just really sad at best, and odious at worst. You could try ignoring my posts if they wind you up so much; I wasn't engaging with you or directing anything to you. This weirdly personal response has come apropos of nothing really. One idea: you could maybe re-allocate the hours you might have spent responding to me into playing eFootball, thereby bringing your total hours played count to upwards of 255 hours, and giving you an even more reliable platform from which to declare what is truthful and what is misinformation!

"Misinformation" lol. This is such a weird post :LOL: Not least for this posturing as an authority with your Very Impressive Hours Played count, positioning yourself against a person who said two weeks ago they had only played one match of the latest version. This is clearly a sign that you're interested in good faith discussion. (As it happens, I'm probably up to an also very impressive five games played of eFootball 2023 now – go me!)

Never mind that most of my post didn't relate to eFootball 2023, by the way.

As to what you say:

Point 1 is false, per my argument in the last post; what you say isn't an effective argument against mine, but just a stating of the presupposition I explicitly denied. You might have an argument for your assertion, but at present it's just bald. Point 2 is false, as anyone with a memory of PES can attest; the difference between old PES interceptions and match-up interceptions now (by which I mean pre-2023, since I've not played much of that, to your shock and horror) is that match-up intercepting animations are much more frequent and exaggerated. A similar claim to your point 3 is in my first paragraph in the post you're replying to. Point 4 involves an assertion I also made, you just place a different value judgement on it; as for the physical defending option – it's not that unique or different, and in any case, your player will auto-tackle when close enough anyway, whether you want it or not. Point 5 – ah, the much-vaunted intentional interceptions; have argued at length about that before, don't really need to rehearse it. It's funny how, in your elaboration of this really super intentional mechanism you end up exposing how automated it is: "You place your player close to the ball's path with match up engaged, and he will attempt to intercept it." Manual defending, ladies and gentlemen!

I could go more in-depth here, but what's the point? You yourself don't respond to points actually made half the time, instead cherrypicking half points, straw-manning, and inserting irrelevant asides that don't relate to what I've actually said. There's even parts of your argument above that re-assert points I've already made lol.

Lastly, this preoccupation you have with who gets to have an opinion on the game, or who ought to be listened to (nay, even "liked" by way of forum reaction clicks), is just really sad at best, and odious at worst. You could try ignoring my posts if they wind you up so much; I wasn't engaging with you or directing anything to you. This weirdly personal response has come apropos of nothing really. One idea: you could maybe re-allocate the hours you might have spent responding to me into playing eFootball, thereby bringing your total hours played count to upwards of 255 hours, and giving you an even more reliable platform from which to declare what is truthful and what is misinformation!

Konami sponsored fact-checkers have rated this post: demonstrably false.

opposed to who?
To those who use that as a way of stamping their authority when they opine on PES/Efootball. My comment was simply in jest. There are plenty of people who have played less than 50 hours on a game, and they have just as much knowledge of a game as compared to those who spend hundreds of hours. The elitism that some people have in gaming communities, particular in this one needs to stop. It's a hobby, not a professional sport. All opinions, good, bad, indifferent are welcome as long as you can back it up.

Last edited:
All of you are wrong. Before V2 the game was clearly a good if not the best footy game on the pitch. Now its in shambles.
Its run and gun wrestling game where you can smash your opponent to the ground without fouling, where only quick counter works and basic rules and principals of football and physics do not .

Every game is the same fucking nonsense even if you win or lose. Its a struggle to play the game because at the moment IT IS BROKEN. Buy Haaland and Upamecano and other 190cm 90kg players with 85 acceleration and you can play smash football competitively.

20220914190507_1.jpg

All of you are wrong. Before V2 the game was clearly a good if not the best footy game on the pitch. Now its in shambles.
Its run and gun wrestling game where you can smash your opponent to the ground without fouling, where only quick counter works and basic rules and principals of football and physics do not .

Every game is the same fucking nonsense even if you win or lose. Its a struggle to play the game because at the moment IT IS BROKEN. Buy Haaland and Upamecano and other 190cm 90kg players with 85 acceleration and you can play smash football competitively.

View attachment 178014
LOL Why did the other defender back off?

View attachment 178014

Looks exactly like the same old shit we got with PES. And to think some people insist PES is dead.

Back
Top Bottom