eFootball (All Platforms)

If they've taken this time out and they haven't overhauled the gameplay then that's the last straw. Time will tell.

As for releasing this, its mental. I had one game last night and it looked and felt like shit. Even taking into account pre-alpha its a horrendous PR move.

PES 2021 is now advertising the test in-game:

E4ozwYNWQAEFEh9

The first paragraph:

KONAMI is holding an open beta test of our new football game to gauge its current quality and to make plans for future upgrades.

That, to me, says a lot.

A) "beta test" (not just a server test)
B) "to gauge its current quality" [...] "to make plans for future upgrades"

There is also a survey advertised when you boot "New Football Game", that asks for your gameplay feedback.

Hmmm. The plot thickens.

E4ozwYNWQAEFEh9

The first paragraph:

That, to me, says a lot.

There is also a survey advertised when you boot "New Football Game", that asks for your gameplay feedback.

Hmmm. The plot thickens.
Wooooooooow. I really hope that's badly written and that the person who published that doesn't really get the concept (which wouldn't surprise considering it's KONAMI). If it actually is the game, man we are in deep, deep trouble.

E4ozwYNWQAEFEh9

The first paragraph:

That, to me, says a lot.

Hmmm. The plot thickens.

The ign article states they have insider knowledge about the current state of development, they had a recent interview with konami, and they are clearly suggesting this is the demo of this years game, and that current development has surpassed this demo.

They are not in any way suggesting this is a mobile game.

If this was the mobile game, and let's face it, knowing konami.it probably is, why not test it on mobile devices?

Unless they're testing the new network code that came along with unreal engine?

Just booted this up on PS4 and it's actually painful to look at. Back to 2021, I won't be playing this again.

Baffling to try to understand why they would tell us to wait an extra year because they are developing a new engine... Then show us this. They surely know people will blast them for it. Setting themselves up for punishment. It's the same game as before

This made me laugh...

Just wait another year, you wont believe what we have in store for you guys...

I'm beginning to wonder whether they just sent the whole team home for a year to save a years wages...

I dont know if you know but...how long would it take to port over all the previous gameplay to unreal and then add super graphics? Is that a two year job for a small, incompetent team? Or is it a 6 month job, and so surely theyve done something to the actual gameplay in all that time...?
I don’t actually know (I don’t work in the industry) but it’s Konami…

They’ve hardly made any significant improvements with each yearly release over the last 5 years so either it does take them a lot of time to do things or they’re satisfied with it’s current state so have no desire to overhaul and just want to make minor changes… or both of those things.

I don’t necessarily believe that Konami have been working on the next gen game for that long either. If it wasn’t for Covid, they wouldn’t have taken an extra year, it would have been a normal release cycle and anything they had planned for the next gen game would have already been decided prior to covid happening. I think the extra year gives them time to put extra polish on the graphical side of things but not overhaul the gameplay as their intention was to always port over last gen and make minor improvements on the gameplay front.

E4ozwYNWQAEFEh9

The first paragraph:

That, to me, says a lot.

Hmmm. The plot thickens.

That would be the first time that a new Pes game not only doesn't look better but it also looks a lot worse than the previous version.

Even Pes 2008 and Pes 2014 looked noticeably better than the previous games.

If that's the case the only explanation i can find is that they used the Unreal Engine not to have a next gen graphics engine, but to have a much quicker way to develop the game for every platform out there including Switch and mobile.

I'm scared that this will simply be tweaked but it's really going to be the next Pes game.

That would be the first time that a new Pes game not only doesn't look better but it also looks a lot worse than the previous version.

If that's the case the only explanation i can find is that they used the Unreal Engine not to have a next gen graphics engine, but to have a much quicker way to develop the game for every platform out there including Switch and mobile.

I'm scared that this will simply be tweaked but it's really going to be the next Pes game.
Agree.

They want the gameplay to be similar across all platforms for esports purposes, not for the next gen version to push ahead of the last gen version.

The only difference will be graphical capabilities.

The same reason that the PS4 & Mobile game have essentially the same gameplay… PS4 is way more capable than an iPhone but Konami don’t want that.

Agree.

They want the gameplay to be similar across all platforms for esports purposes, not for the next gen version to push ahead of the last gen version.

The only difference will be graphical capabilities.

The same reason that the PS4 & Mobile game have essentially the same gameplay… PS4 is way more capable than an iPhone but Konami don’t want that.

OK, if that's what they want to do that's the end of Pes for me. Yes, Unreal Engine is scalable but you can't really adapt a game conceived to play as a mobile game to consoles. It will always be limited.

I know i asked for a retro feeling but this is going way too much back in time. :P

My biggest takeaway (other than the Domino's Double Decadence pizza I had last week) is that, it's different from PES 2020/2021, and therefore I'm just glad we will have something different to play this year.

It does feel, as @Emroth says, like the mobile version ported to PS4/PS5 (I'm on PS5). Nothing more, nothing less.

Which suggests that their base for their super-amazing next-gen wonder-game... is a mobile game. Yay...

It's clearly very early though. There's no individuality whatsoever, every player is the same (but I don't mean that in an exaggerated way, I mean literally, I don't think it's been coded in yet that attributes make a difference).

There are also zero offsides (in the games I played anyway) - the AI is just positionally perfect, so they never happen. It seems to me that "error" or deviation just hasn't been coded in yet.

Now, either that's to make the game quicker (for mobile players) - or this is new code that's at a very basic stage. Does anyone know if the mobile version has these two issues (no real individuality and no offsides)?

I also didn't see a single foul (without deliberately hacking down a player with the slide tackle, at least), but I've read others say there are too many, so I'm not sure what happened in my games...!

There ARE positives though. While everything is still very much "one speed only" (you don't have stages of play that are much faster than others, or rocket shots - the players and the ball move at the same speed all of the time)...

...I DID see more variety in shots, with long shots having MUCH more of a chance of going in, and dribbling felt a little more fun to me, with less "stickiness" and/or lag when it comes to controller input.

The reason being, the ball seems to actually be a separate entity now (HALLELUJAH!) - or at least, it has much more freedom. I didn't see goalkeeper animations speeding up so that they always save certain shots, either.

All very interesting...
I agree it feels pretty different. All those saying "It's the same as PES 2021!!!" are stuck in a bizarre groove. There are some elements transferred across, but it feels very different to me. And that makes sense. A new engine with all these new tools. It would be madness to try translating everything from Fox engine tools to Unreal. Do people think there's just a simple import option? lol

As for offsides: I've had one per game so far (played 3 games).

As for individuality: Definitely felt better able to pull off silky dribbling with Messi/Pedri/Coutinho than players further back in the pitch. Maybe I'm just trying it more?

Other things of note for me: felt a bit more of a midfield battle, but also don't know if it's the camera angle so close to the action that you can't really tell lol. And I actually like how close control is mapped now: you have to exercise more care in pressing the LS more finely in order, e.g., to drag back – lean backwards on the stick sharply and you'll turn around, lean softly and you'll drag back. Cool.

Well all those interviews about photorealism really were another load of konami delusion then.

OK, if that's what they want to do that's the end of Pes for me. Yes, Unreal Engine is scalable but you can't really adapt a game conceived to play as a mobile game to consoles. It will always be limited.

I know i asked for a retro feeling but this is going way too much back in time. :P
I suppose I don’t mean identical but what I mean is, obviously the PS5 would be capable of having things like better collision systems, ball physics, AI & tactics - true next gen elements that a mobile version simply couldn’t do.

But those things would push the PS5 version way ahead of the PS4, mobile & switch games so that it would be unrecognisable in comparison and I don’t think Konami want that.

The best comparison to what I mean is probably fortnite? It’s the same game on all playforms just the PS4 version has slightly better graphics and more polish.

For sure the end of PES for me too haha. Especially if PC isn’t capable of mods. There are so many good patches for PES 3-6 that I can get my football fix from anyway, it wouldn’t be too bad.

Man, these floaty goalkeepers. The same broken animations since forever. I don't understand how this is possible.

There's a line that the stadium commentator says, that's something like "the club would like to remind those that are intoxicated that you will be ejected from the ground if" etc... It just seems like, if you're going to have a stadium commentator who says 4-5 different things (rather than 100), maybe they could have picked something else for him to talk about (especially in a game for all ages). Just seems like a really odd decision...
The stadium announcer did seem like a very odd specific thing to update off all things for this test.

It's like the last on the list of priorities yet not only did they make sure that made it in this test but it also sounds worse than the previous one we've had along?

Now wait a minute....

Since the mobile version is using the unreal engine already, they´re like just porting that game to the PS5 and work on the visuals??

I mean, alpha this, beta that, but (sorry for my language) WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK would you bring out something like this at a first glance to your customers with like zero information around it??
Remember the beta testing period of PES 2018? That was great! Game looked great, game played well! Animations, physics and everything was fine!
I was kinda sad when the beta phase was over.

And now with all that announcements of new engine, photorealistic this and that, they are putting out that??

I just don´t get them.....every year in this phase before the new game, they leave a big question mark above my head.

Back
Top Bottom