EA SPORTS FC 25

The pass accuracy and shot accuracy changes are great news - I thought they were "sim mode only" but I guess not.

There are still stand-out "steps backwards" though, which it seems like there are every year when it comes to (my constant moan) forced-fake ball physics, e.g. "tuning" tackles so that the ball magically stops dead and doesn't run free, "robbing" you of possession.

Firstly, the confirmation that a player slipping doesn't impact the pass/shot outcome. WHY.

Secondly, just noticed there's a new GK playstyle, Deflector PS+, which allows special keepers to deflect the ball further than before.

...how? You can't deflect a ball further than the speed of the shot allows. You can't change physics.

Exactly like you can't perform a header on a softly chipped ball that travels the length of the pitch...

So many of these "Playstyles" are just super-powers, and erase the point of having attributes.

I’m assuming that we could deselect or turn this GK mode off for offline gamers perhaps?

The proposed changes have peaked my interest, it might surprise us in some areas that make it at least playable, despite obvious flaws?

I’m assuming that we could deselect or turn this GK mode off for offline gamers perhaps?
We can't turn off Playstyles in FC24 so I don't think you can in FC25 either - I wouldn't mind if it was 1) unique abilities that are 2) physically possible, but...

Well, it's like the power-ups in the Player Career mode. Why are they there.

They add e.g. a Player Agent, they add depth to the mode, and then they add these power-up "badges" or whatever they're called.

Nothing is a bigger turn-off than earning XP, wanting to spend it and seeing power-ups like "when you lose possession, your defenders get faster for 10 minutes" or "when you score, your team gets a +5 attribute boost in all areas for 10 minutes"...

Throw all of that stuff into some Rush standalone mode and stop ruining the attempt at making a football game, FFS.

---

Anyway... It will be really interesting to see if this trailer talk of having to "play the right players in the right roles" comes to pass.

I can't believe right now that tactics will make that much of a difference, unless it's a slower and more error-based game.

You don't need tactics when pass/shot accuracy is 100%, because creating a shooting opportunity is as easy as pressing pass 1-2 times, or simply running through the traffic-cone midfield.

On the plus side, it does look a little slower in the footage, and they're actually talking about introducing more error in the pitch notes.

But, the game always gets sped up on day one, and how much error will be left at release? And will this error impact all players, or just the bronze-level players? And will the 1v1 gameplay still be present, which is the biggie for me - or will "sim mode" give players their brains back?

Time will tell. It's a step in the right direction (on paper) and that's more than I'd ever expected, but time will tell.

Im not sure if it’s just the clips they’ve used (i expect so tbh) but the first touches and limited dribbling they show does look FAR less ‘movement first, ball physics second’. Sorry I can’t find a better way to explain it and tbh, it might be just because they’re not using the slower dribbling mechanic.

I don't 100% remember but I feel like early clips of 24 deep dive things looked okay too, as far as dribbling/tackling and whatever else they showed.
I expect everything they're showing now to be completely fucked on release.

I don't 100% remember but I feel like early clips of 24 deep dive things looked okay too, as far as dribbling/tackling and whatever else they showed.
I expect everything they're showing now to be completely fucked on release.
I’m not sure about that, from day one I could see it was reflecting a speed skating sim, it looked wrong from the outset imo.

I’m not sure about that, from day one I could see it was reflecting a speed skating sim, it looked wrong from the outset imo.
If you watch the gameplay clips in the trailer on a TV, rather than on your phone, you can see it's still quite fast - or at least, the attackers are (and it's faster by release).

You can also see all the "twitchiness" where, within the space of seconds, AI players crab-walk, crouch and immediately un-crouch, burst at great pace before slowing to normal pace and then completely standing still. Hypermotion is just so, so... Hyper.

Plus, much more concerningly, all the clips in the trailer consist of 3-4 passes max, from defender to striker, and (after they leave all the defenders for dead), goal. Rendering all the tactics stuff completely pointless (what's the point in your defenders running to different places if they're still just a traffic cone when they get there).

Are all the gameplay clips taken on the easiest difficulty settings? Sure. But you can score in 3-4 passes on Legendary, because the AI is so passive. So, I'd argue, it shows the gameplay-crippling 1v1 core is still active.

All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up til you've tried it!

That said, to be totally fair, we've not seen "sim mode" gameplay clips yet. That's the exciting bit.

Speaking of which - pretty sad it's offline modes only. I know it's unlikely, but I really, really wish they'd patch in the option to use "sim mode" online with friends.

All my friends would only want to play on "sim mode", but they don't live close enough to pop over every night. It's the only thing that would make me play a modern football game online again...

(And then one day, maybe we can get the old "Online Leagues" functionality back, host an Evo-Web League on full sim settings, and have the best time ever.)

From the little I could see (besides the arrows and diagrams), the unnatural movements of FC24 seem to have been reduced.
I agree the dribbling looks better and less "ice-skatey".

Still holding out for a true gameplay video.. Some of the overall changes do sound interesting though..
They cleared a lot of animations in the dribble, they said it required a lot of the team to do that, but they knew it would help make the animations more beautiful and more responsiveness.

Mmm well ill say something that I've said for the past 4 years. If you didnt like 22-23-24, you wont like 25. Seems pretty similar to me and doubt these new improvements will change the core gameplay

Don't get me wrong, i get enjoyment from fifa (i loved 22) and have been buying them every year (i know what to expect from them).

But if you are expecting these new buzzwords to somehow change the gameplay to that of midfield battle and tough defense, I think you will be disappointed.

Like someone said in this thread, they can add all the tech improvements but if the 1v1 is still there and games end 7-6 then its all in vain.

Interesting point from Chris. 4 seconds and they slice through the field from defender to goal....

Anyway.... Imma eventually buy it...

I understand why would some people want sim mode online, but please ... keep it away as much as possible from online.

One thing good about sim mode is that at least EA recognize there is audience for it, and they want to please that audience.

Even though, I dont think it will work as intended ... game-engine is broken, and sim-mode will probably means sliders which will broken it even more.

And I am suprised how little there is new to gameplay, basicly its just new formation options.

As I suspected. The IQ system is going to be a mess and positionally there are a lot of issues with it. You can see some individuality that was kind of in the game already (if you knew what settings to use) but little to no benefit to the team from it. The images also highlight how poor the opposition team defends, there is no marking, no blocking and no structure.

fc25-FCIQ_Role_Falseback.png

Take the above image. The Inverted RB has *somehow* found himself in the middle. There is no player within 10 yards of him. The two opposition midfielders are too close together, marking nobody and blocking no passing pathways. The defenders are nowhere near the striker too. It also shows that the opposition right winger has not tracked the left back or gone into midfield to help either. So the defence is very IM DEFENDER, I STAND HERE, IM MIDFIELDER, I HERE, I DUMB. :/

I have hated positioning and team structure in FIFA/FC for a long time. For some reason the game is obsessed with maintaining structure at all times. Because of this, a lot of the buildup from the AI (and players really) is very predictable.

FC25_GAMEPLAY_DD_Smart-Tactics.jpg

Take this image above. Its very 5-4-1. The fullbacks are providing no help by maintaining structure. Why aren't they pushing to the centre line and staying wide? 3 of the 4 midfielders have their back turned away from the possessor and no making any moves into space.

On the flip side, the BVB front two aren't closing down, the midfield 4 are 5-10 yards away from any opposition.

Yep. Over hyped buzzwords dont grab me guys. Show me something on that pitch. :)

*p.s. i will still try it out on EA Play to mod it... lol*

It's true that I haven't played any version for more than a few matches since FIFA 19, but I'm surprised that after so many years, so many users have high hopes that this edition will suddenly become a football simulation after adding a few improvements that are basically unknown whether and how they will work in the final version of the game. To achieve what we want, i.e. more simulation gameplay, EA would have to completely rebuild the AI system, player positioning, ball physics, player running, remove 1vs1, and many other things to get closer to the level of, for example, FIFA 14-16. Therefore, adding a sim mode that involves changing more sliders and players' roles in tactics will not change much. @Anth James he'll have a lot of work to do again. This is our only hope :)

Yeah, this just shows the AI is still absolutely shocking by default, doesn't it. Look at every player standing miles apart from each other.

When do you ever see such perfect lines in football. It's closer to foosball.

This is why you only need to hit 3-4 passes to score - because there's so much space all the time. Horrendous.

That said, these clips are with sim mode off.

Sadly, competitive gamers rule the roost and the game is designed to be a 1v1 arcade game.

This is how the "main gameplay" will always be, and frankly I think it's absolutely pathetic - and a million billion miles from the sport we all love - but the eSports 1v1-me guys are in charge. Those players will always come first. Even though, when you see their YouTube rants, they all seem to hate the game and would welcome a fresh experience with open arms.

This whole thing does make a mockery of the FCIQ system, though.

It looks exactly as I thought - designed primarily for the attacking benefits in the default game. It just means you can tell your players to go on runs without having to use the "player runs" button. I dread to think of how stupid online scores are going to get (and they're already literally insane).

Even the trailer gameplay clips point to this - essentially, "look how much easier it is to get the ball to Bellingham, in acres of space, blasting away from defenders and scoring".

These clips are on easy so I have to wait the beta. GK are useless in these videos. A shot =a goal 🥶

Last edited:
These clips are on easy so I have to wait the beta. GK are useless in these vidéos. A shot =a goal 🥶
People say this every year, yet with the game in your hands, difficulty level doesn't really change anything - you can score just as easily on any difficulty.

I really don't think it matters that much what difficulty level the videos are created with. It shows you the core game design (1v1).

That said... We haven't seen "sim mode" clips yet. That's the only hope we have.

I have never seen a great trailer officiel FIFA with decent marking. Even FIFA 17 it's a goalfest😅.

I could only judge the game when I could test it. I always found trailers bad.

There is 99,99% of chance than the game is a copy past of EAFC 24, FIFA 23, FIFA 22, FIFA 21.

I'm not hype for this reason : I'm always dissapointed.

I had a feeling that the gameplay deep dive was going to be a bunch of "lets confuse the viewers with waffle about tactics and hide the gameplay footage under the sensory overload of quick cuts to the cinematic stuff".

I could see at a glance that the DNA of the game is still very much FIFA 21 to FC24, 1v1 still prevalent, defenders not tracking nor covering a threat you can see from outer space and the strict banks of players which resemble a bunch bots doing as the code instructs rather than naturally flowing in and out of formation.

Again my concern is, what's the point of this tactical overhaul if you don't really need to use tactics, it's not difficult to make your way from one end of the pitch to the other however you go about it, just seems like a ton of stuff the developers say they've added to look busy for the year and justify a release.

I don't see why they don't just go the GaaS model and just update a F2P version of this and I'm sure they'll do a better job than Konami does with eFootball.

I have never seen a great trailer officiel FIFA with decent marking. Even FIFA 17 it's a goalfest😅.
The bigger issue when looking at the FIFA 17 "gameplay reveal" is that there's no gameplay in it. :D

You made me go and look at some FIFA 17 gameplay though, and - it just makes me rage about what Sam Rivera said, that frankly shitty comment about "compare FC24 to FIFA 14 and you can see just how far we've come". I would argue the exact opposite is true.

Just watch the first two in-game minutes of this (way too fast) gameplay, and look at how the AI defends. 10x better, more realistic, more tactical, players engaging people, no skewers going through lines of players to keep them from doing anything.

Online players, Lol.

Ultimately we need a game where the defensive AI is less fast/swarming/intercepting. It’s very hectic on new gen.

Otherwise tactics will never be as effective as they think it will be.

But I am excited to try lots of tactics I haven’t been in the past, such as:
- proper attacking full backs with width
- shadow strikers
- defensive midfielders who properly cover for attacking full backs
- having a 433 with one winger on one side, and a semi central CAM type on the other side (not a winger)
- keepers properly sweeping

Online players, Lol.
The thing with this is, 1) so many FUT players and competitive players moan about the game and I don't think they're being given any chance to try out more realistic gameplay to see if they would prefer it - given the appalling user review scores, the YouTube rants etc. I genuinely think they would, but I think the bigger EA concern is "they might say they hate it, but they still spend millions on it, why would we risk changing it".

2) I would become an online player, and I honestly think many, many more people would, if it became a game about football knowledge (as in tactics, systems, using the right players for the right jobs and not trying silly things with incapable players).

The sad thing is, when I was lucky enough to visit the Vancouver office over ten years ago, Simon Humber - RIP (producer of some of the best ever FIFA games) - told me that the above was his dream, and he was working to accomplish it. He told me that he didn't want to make a game where "the person who hammered the buttons the quickest won" rather than the person who was playing tactically. And now we're here.

These errors in passing and shooting are already being criticized by people online. The defense is very strong online, especially at the highest levels. Unfortunately, better AI in defense would cause a year of complaints. If they could make a stronger AI defensively for offline play, that would be great. I'm going to talk to the team in the coming months about it, maybe evolving that into simulation mode in the coming years.

These errors in passing and shooting are already being criticized by people online. The defense is very strong online, especially at the highest levels. Unfortunately, better AI in defense would cause a year of complaints. If they could make a stronger AI defensively for offline play, that would be great. I'm going to talk to the team in the coming months about it, maybe evolving that into simulation mode in the coming years.
Passing & shooting error is a part of the competitive and strategic aspect and whether it's a game or not, using your judgment effectively is part of the risk reward element of competition & competition in video games should share this same merit.

That's like complaining that if I shoot someone in call of duty, they should die because my bullet went "somewhere near them" so should count as a kill even if it didn't strike them? That would be such bullshit. Or a racing game where you don't even have to break as you approach bends, yet you grt to retain your speed & control because that's fun.

It just leads to bone headed boring passive gameplay. What's the thrill in that?

Back
Top Bottom