EA SPORTS FC 25

Just had three really different games in my Career Mode but all of them enjoyable.

A close fought 1-1 draw against Genk. The AI made the pitch really tight and they pressed us all over the place, it was hard to create our usual slow build up.

Second game, a fantastic 4-0 win against Gent. They just could not live with us and we carved them open quite easily.

Then finally, a 3-1 defeat to Cercle Brugge in the second leg of the cup semi final. A game of two halves, we missed a ton of chances to go 2-0 up and they dominated the second half. We struggled to retain possession and they scored an 89th minute goal to dump us out on aggregate.

Not sure if this is SIM/Tactical mode at its best but it is definitely offering up great and varied gameplay at the moment 🙌🏻

Posts like this are tempting me to buy the game...

I cant deny i havent missed it since my trial ended..

Posts like this are tempting me to buy the game...

I cant deny i havent missed it since my trial ended..

I’ll be honest mate, I barely touched EAFC 24 and struggled with FIFA 22/23 too. The lack of midfield battles and 1v1 gameplay killed my enjoyment. However EAFC25 definitely feels different and for the first time in a while the positives outweigh the negatives.

There are still issues that rear their head every now and then (issues with jockeying, skating etc.) but for the most part there is a really good game here which means I can overlook them but I appreciate everyone has different experiences.

As much as I enjoyed the trial, this critique from Operation Sports is really good. Particularly because they illustrate their points with videos, and it does boggle the mind (particularly the defending - 1v1 needs to be damned to hell). It makes some of what @Matt10 was saying easy to see.

Operation Sports review

Example clip of the attacking team all backing away in the most bizarre manner because of "FCIQ":

Example clip of the cursed 1v1 defending:

For as long as the game is designed for eSports at its core, it's not really a football game. Said it a million times, I know, but until sim mode allows the AI to see the opposition players (and not just float back and forth in their rigid positional assignment, aside from the designated 1v1 presser)... Agh. It's such a huge shame.

I’ll be honest mate, I barely touched EAFC 24 and struggled with FIFA 22/23 too. The lack of midfield battles and 1v1 gameplay killed my enjoyment. However EAFC25 definitely feels different and for the first time in a while the positives outweigh the negatives.

There are still issues that rear their head every now and then (issues with jockeying, skating etc.) but for the most part there is a really good game here which means I can overlook them but I appreciate everyone has different experiences.

Thank you, appreciate your balanced opinion. I've had exactly the same experience over the last few years. The trial was the first game I've played of fifa, since fifa 16 where it felt like an actual football match.

As much as I enjoyed the trial, this critique from Operation Sports is really good. Particularly because they illustrate their points with videos, and it does boggle the mind (particularly the defending - 1v1 needs to be damned to hell). It makes some of what @Matt10 was saying easy to see.

Operation Sports review

Example clip of the attacking team all backing away in the most bizarre manner because of "FCIQ":

For as long as the game is designed for eSports at its core, it's not really a football game. Said it a million times, I know, but until sim mode allows the AI to see the opposition players (and not just float back and forth in their rigid positional assignment, aside from the designated 1v1 presser)... Agh. It's such a huge shame.
If for this reason your problem was fixed with gameplay mods, of course if you are on PC, otherwise wait for some miracle patch!

Just had three really different games in my Career Mode but all of them enjoyable.

A close fought 1-1 draw against Genk. The AI made the pitch really tight and they pressed us all over the place, it was hard to create our usual slow build up.

Second game, a fantastic 4-0 win against Gent. They just could not live with us and we carved them open quite easily.

Then finally, a 3-1 defeat to Cercle Brugge in the second leg of the cup semi final. A game of two halves, we missed a ton of chances to go 2-0 up and they dominated the second half. We struggled to retain possession and they scored an 89th minute goal to dump us out on aggregate.

Not sure if this is SIM/Tactical mode at its best but it is definitely offering up great and varied gameplay at the moment 🙌🏻
Good write up mate. What difficulty and time length are you playing?

Operation Sports review

I wish I hadn’t watched this! 😂

Kidding, I hope mods can solve this though.

Operation Sports review

Hope they don't forget to tone down the XTC pilotfish player movement before going into details. Bringing back the game speed settings would be the bare minimum.

Thats a pretty good review . I gave a few games a try tonight and as much as I like sim mode, they really need to figure out the defending. Thank god Ive never seen my attackers back up like they do in that clip or I wouldve just thrown my controller somewhere).

I think sliders unfortunately might be the only option and tradeoff to find middle ground into fixing some of those issues while giving up some of the good qualities of Sim mode.

On another note, the review mentioned graphics. Yes they look good, but when I clicked on the youtube links for the clips, I got recommended some goals from @Marlon Anthony from probably 7 years ago (FIFA17). I really think the pitch/colors looked much better back then (not player models), i might be a minority but I really liked '17 color's palette vs the oversaturated ones now. I even fired up Fifa 22 and felt the colors were much better.

Appreciate the OS sports review...BUT, at this point I'm personally just happy to have a newly released football game which I find myself wanting to play. It's got to the point where I don't want to piss on my chips anymore with such an in-depth analysis of things so I'm not going to peek behind the curtain too much.

It's never going to be as intricate as we want it to be, but the sim mode has already seen me put 30 hours into the game, which is about 29 more than FC24!

This year I actually think the pros outweigh the cons, because it's been so so bad recently. If only I could turn off that bloody pitch wear in career mode.

Just read the operation sports review. I'm all for that kind of dissection. A sim game with a proper game shape (come home fifa's 08 and 09). However...I just didnt really notice any of those issues during my play through during the trial.

Juve dropped too deep. But Dortmund defended on the half way line and I could hardly breathe.

Also, I thought sim mode was genuinely hard. Playing through the midfield at times was almost impossible.

However...I was enjoying the game. And when you do, you tend to overlook smaller issues that arent on your 'red-line' list for a game.

Just read the operation sports review. I'm all for that kind of dissection. A sim game with a proper game shape (come home fifa's 08 and 09). However...I just didnt really notice any of those issues during my play through during the trial.

Juve dropped too deep. But Dortmund defended on the half way line and I could hardly breathe.

Also, I thought sim mode was genuinely hard. Playing through the midfield at times was almost impossible.

However...I was enjoying the game. And when you do, you tend to overlook smaller issues that arent on your 'red-line' list for a game.

I completely agree - Everyone has a water line of what they can and can’t live with, others won’t even notice these things. There is no right or wrong answer, personally I am really enjoying the game and hopefully that continues through updates/patches.

Part of me is probably just relieved to have another football game that brings me some enjoyment for an hour or so each night, especially after 4 years of playing PES21.

I completely agree - Everyone has a water line of what they can and can’t live with, others won’t even notice these things. There is no right or wrong answer, personally I am really enjoying the game and hopefully that continues through updates/patches.
Agree - though I think with the issues they mention tweaked, fixed or expanded, we'd all have an even better time, so I'm glad that reviews like that exist.

IMO, critical reviews like OS's (which dissect the issues and, crucially, provide clips to demonstrate) are far more valuable to everyone than the reviews that bash the game without really giving clear reasons as to why (other than "same game as last year", which is such a lazy stereotype, and it makes it clear they just want to appeal to the toxic userbase).

That "red-line list" comment is exactly right IMO - I'm tempted to start a topic called something like "Football Games: what are your three must-haves and your three can't-haves", because it's an interesting line of discussion. I want to love this game, and I want to retrain my brain so I don't see the 1v1 "kick in" every single time it happens, but I just can't. I just hope, one day, we can turn it off - but I don't see why they would bother when it's a core part of the game.

EDIT: I made that thread, click here!

Last edited:
Agree - though I think with the issues they mention tweaked, fixed or expanded, we'd all have an even better time, so I'm glad that reviews like that exist.

IMO, critical reviews like OS's (which dissect the issues and, crucially, provide clips to demonstrate) are far more valuable to everyone than the reviews that bash the game without really giving clear reasons as to why (other than "same game as last year", which is such a lazy stereotype, and it makes it clear they just want to appeal to the toxic userbase).

That "red-line list" comment is exactly right IMO - I'm tempted to start a topic called something like "Football Games: what are your three must-haves and your three can't-haves", because it's an interesting line of discussion. I want to love this game, and I want to retrain my brain so I don't see the 1v1 "kick in" every single time it happens, but I just can't. I just hope, one day, we can turn it off - but I don't see why they would bother when it's a core part of the game.
They made an effort this year with sim mode and listened to some of the community's requests. So, if we consider this, maybe in two years we can get an actual separate gameplay for offline players, who knows.

Spot on Chris - I really enjoy reading your posts and they echo a lot of my own thoughts in terms of the state of football games at the moment.

FC25 feels like a step in the right direction, a small one potentially but hopefully it is a sign that they are finally ready to tweak things for offline players too 🤞🏼

The "advanced graphics" or whatever they call it in the menu are very annoying. Kits blow around like you're in 90mph winds, laces bounce from the slightest twitch, I keep forgetting to turn it off

EA Sports FC 25 Live Tuning Update #1 Patch Notes:​

Made the following changes:

• Reduced ball trajectory height for Lobbed Passes and Crosses performed in Rush matches.
  • Reduced accuracy of first time Lobbed Through Passes and Lobbed Through Passes taken at severe angles.
Addressed the following issue:

• [PS5/PC/XBSX|S Only] Reduced instances of players accelerating unintentionally quickly when a Sprint is requested.

EA Sports FC 25 Live Tuning Update #1 Patch Notes:​

Made the following changes:

• Reduced ball trajectory height for Lobbed Passes and Crosses performed in Rush matches.
  • Reduced accuracy of first time Lobbed Through Passes and Lobbed Through Passes taken at severe angles.
Addressed the following issue:

• [PS5/PC/XBSX|S Only] Reduced instances of players accelerating unintentionally quickly when a Sprint is requested.
Superb hopefully those air balloon long passes are fixing now.

EDIT: I made that thread, click here!

Totally agree. Reviews like OS, where they actually highlight using footage the problems in the game are something we couldve done with all along.

I remember being so frustrated 10 years ago, when reviews were totally shallow and never analysed the game properly. Even now, sites like gamecentral, who are gold standard in most other genres, too often produce bizarre reviews of football games.

Still really enjoying this with default sim sliders and in a career mode with Deportivo.

Do think the 'No Training' option is bugged though as my players have ZERO sharpness in November. But kinda agree with @Emroth that it is a case of "Whatever, just get on with it"

Again though...

The variety of animations, goals, saves, connections, trajectories, first touches, and all sorts in this game in the final third is to be applauded. I do think that eFootball in it's current guise is way more demanding/intense/smarter, but FC25 blows it out the water, completely, when it comes to what can/should happen in that phase of play. The variety is simply jaw dropping.

This game is not revolutionnary, incredible. But the gameplay is really good and well balanced.
I played with Marseille on career mode and Montpellier didn't play like Monaco or PSG.

You see something new everytime on the pitch.
I want to play matches again and again and again.
I hope it will be like that all the year.

FC IQ is a really nice feature. When you change the role of your CB, they became stronger.
My Defenders have a better mark at the end of the match than my BU. In this game, I love took a Defender to break CPU actions.

EA needs only to add more natural faults in this game and it will be one my favorite FIFA games ever with FIFA 14 and FIFA 16.

Back
Top Bottom