EA SPORTS FC 25

Had a few more games earlier and there is a lot to like. When it goes down in price I may buy. The dribbling is reeeeeeally irritating for me but using some of the other dribbling mechanics like R1 do reduce the weird extra touches to a degree. The general flow, the defending, the keepers, the atmosphere, some of the animations and plenty more are really good.

Playing on world class sim mode is really satisfying. It’s not particularly difficult, but you still have to work for chances as plenty have said. I tend to create a lot but keepers can be god like and I don’t mind that tbh. It makes me think when finishing. I won 3/4 today with the other a draw, but all had plenty of chances with their keeper making some really good saves.

Defending space, jockeying and timing tackles feels very good. I never feel particularly frustrated which is very unusual with a football game.

If they could sort the skating/unnatural touches the game would be great.

This thread is interesting.. I don't think I've ever seen more divided opinions about an edition (FIFA or PES) on the forum.

I've seen everything from "brilliant installment, a return to form" to "this direction is utterly disappointing, a waste of money" (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea).

I guess I'll probably wait for updates to come through, stabilize the game, and @Anth James' gameplay mods to develop (not to mention, probably a sale)..

As efootball continues to deprive offline gamers of a true Career experience, I'm rooting hard for the FC franchise to improve by leaps and bounds. I agree with @Madmac79 in saying that the decline started several years ago.. I skipped FIFA 21 and 22, and have given 23 and FC24 a chance, but have been disappointed at the end-to-endness of if, how games for me at least tend to feature 20+ shots per team in most cases..

Anyway, this thread as it stands right now is the very definition of mixed reviews! :LOL:

Seasons and manual passing is pretty good actually. Seems easy to find matches as well which is a nice surprise. People choose Real Madrid WAY too much to but I can hold my ground with lesser teams, something that is impossible on semi assisted.

If dribbling where more realistic I’d say we would have a really good game on our hands.

Also I gotta say I enjoy Rush! Relaxed fun.

Last edited:
I know this might be a stupid question but I just wanted to test my own thinking in terms of how sim mode works.

Obviously, when you enable sim mode, the slider sets automatically change to different values. What I am less sure on, is how these values impact game to game. Do the sliders remain fixed or do they move depending up on the opponent’s tactical set up, weather conditions etc?

Had a few more games earlier and there is a lot to like. When it goes down in price I may buy. The dribbling is reeeeeeally irritating for me but using some of the other dribbling mechanics like R1 do reduce the weird extra touches to a degree. The general flow, the defending, the keepers, the atmosphere, some of the animations and plenty more are really good.

Playing on world class sim mode is really satisfying. It’s not particularly difficult, but you still have to work for chances as plenty have said. I tend to create a lot but keepers can be god like and I don’t mind that tbh. It makes me think when finishing. I won 3/4 today with the other a draw, but all had plenty of chances with their keeper making some really good saves.

Defending space, jockeying and timing tackles feels very good. I never feel particularly frustrated which is very unusual with a football game.

If they could sort the skating/unnatural touches the game would be great.
Absolutely!
This is my biggest gripe with this game, which is hard to overlook.
I love player animations in PES. In FC it´s mostly too puppish, even some animations look great.

If that could be sorted out, I´d absolutely play this game because there is so much love in details, great atmosphere and all those bells and whistles that are really impressive.

I´ll keep on playing still and see whether I can get used to the animations.

Dear all, I've only a question : is normal that Pongracic is STOPPED :D ???

Thank you, very much

P.S. I'm offline
The way those defenders just slam the brakes on and clearly aren't trying to actually stop the attacker... Urgh.

As soon as I can see the game "isn't really trying", the immersion is gone, for me, because anything I achieve isn't real. This is where the old PES games with the rock-hard Superstar AI made you feel like a king when you won - because you were genuinely achieving something.

1v1 and not allowing defenders to defend is such a killer. I wonder if we'll ever be able to turn it off, but I doubt it, because it would require more work than a simple switch.

@Emroth how do you trigger those manual runs in any direction?
I got it working once by accident when I saw green arrows pointing in some direction. But L1 plus right stick doesn’t do it for me.

Another question: How is it possible to do a lower, driven, high crosses I can only do the loopy ones using L1 and the high cross button.

Thought it was a Lama with long neck looking at the telly! :LOL:
Only when I read hyperMEOWtion I saw a cat!

You should've seen the state of him just prior. He was way more annoying when the game wasn't paused (pawsed?), chasing the ball and players (including round the back of the monitor when they ran off screen). Hopefully the bugger calms down in time!

@Emroth how do you trigger those manual runs in any direction?
I got it working once by accident when I saw green arrows pointing in some direction. But L1 plus right stick doesn’t do it for me.

Another question: How is it possible to do a lower, driven, high crosses I can only do the loopy ones using L1 and the high cross button.
I don't think you can set run directions from open play, tapping L1 just makes a player make a run forward. There might be some run instructions in the tactics screen but I've not explored it that deeply.

And for low driven crosses, I believe you double tap Square

I don't think you can set run directions from open play, tapping L1 just makes a player make a run forward. There might be some run instructions in the tactics screen but I've not explored it that deeply.

And for low driven crosses, I believe you double tap Square
That’s crosses into the box! I should’ve been more precise. I mean high crosses all over the pitch. You’d think it’s R2 (I switched R1 and R2, so printing is my R1), when it procedures driven ground passes… but this just triggers the “arc passing”.
I want to be able to switch sides with low or mid high crosses. It’s always doing its own thing, like auto height. The Konami title does it so well.

That’s crosses into the box! I should’ve been more precise. I mean high crosses all over the pitch. You’d think it’s R2 (I switched R1 and R2, so printing is my R1), when it procedures driven ground passes… but this just triggers the “arc passing”.
I want to be able to switch sides with low or mid high crosses. It’s always doing its own thing, like auto height. The Konami title does it so well.

I've swtiched my buttons like you and now L2 is the driven button. Those default floaty cross field balls were doing my head in.

Nice little goal in a pre season friendly. One thing I've realised about the dribbling that really kills my immersion is the lack of outside of the boot touches. If you turn out without sprinting the players use the instep of their weak foot instead of the outside of their strong one. Changing that alone would make a big difference.

For a driven cross you have to press L1 + R1 (or in your case L1 + R2 as you switched the R-buttons).

Still really enjoying my early experience with this game. As someone who has clocked up hundreds of hours on PES21 and skipped the last couple of FIFA games I am feeling more positive this time around.

For what it is worth, I am solely an offline/career mode player but for me the main pros and cons are:

Positives:

Sim Mode/Gameplay - I am only 7 games into my career mode with Standard Liege but the variety of games has been really challenging. Some teams have been really aggressive, pressing all over the pitch whereas I have had a couple of games with teams sitting back proving difficult to breakdown.

Goal scoring/chance creation - As others have mentioned, for the first time in a while I get excited and punch the air when I score a goal. I’ve just not had that feeling with the past couple of FIFA games but this time around it really feels like you have to work hard for your openings (I am on Legendary)

Career Mode - If you like this type of thing, there is definitely more immersion with career mode in terms of things like tactics, training and player roles. They have also introduced a few more settings so that you can customise how you want to approach your career (no sacking options, flexibility with training etc.)

Negatives/Improvements:

Menus/Interface - It looks slick, but sometimes I find the amount of menus/options in Career Mode a bit tedious and overwhelming. But linked to my point above about immersion this is probably the price you pay for more features and it is not game breaking by any means

1:1 play - It is definitely still there although I would say that I have personally not noticed it as much. However, there have been 1 or 2 occasions where it has been blatantly obvious on replays

Sprint bug - Not sure if it is just me or the way I have my game set up but there seems to be an issue where my defenders do not sprint when tracking back (not sure if this is common in sim mode). The result is that the CPU players can just sprint past you and you are almost powerless to resist

All in all, I would give it a solid 8/10 - Very much enjoying the gameplay so far but the real test will be in the longevity and whether or not some of the positives mentioned above are nerfed with updates etc.

Thx, I’ll try. But that’s a bit stupid. I have to press the button for a lopped one plus driven button plus cross. 🤪
Actually this is one of my gripes with the game. It's cool to have so many options but I think the implementation is awkward in a lot of cases, requires too many button presses or awkward button presses when considering with the other things you're trying to, especially in defending. The recent FIFAs are the only football game sin history which benefit from pro controllers with paddles 🤣

Thx, I’ll try. But that’s a bit stupid. I have to press the button for a lopped one plus driven button plus cross. 🤪

It is, definitely. They changed it in the last game when they put the modificator for the precision lobs and through balls on R1/RB, if I'm not mistaken.

Another chapter when playing at night....
Last night I wanted to enjoy FC25 for a while, I played my first game and it was very entertaining, challenging. The next game was a ping pong, the CPU defenders who in the previous game didn't let you breathe, now at speed you passed them very easily. I tried everything to see if I could return the game to "normal" it was impossible. I returned to the same match now and the game is a luxury. I am deeply sorry that this happens, I don't know what causes it but it ruins a solid, challenging and fun game.

Last night I wanted to enjoy FC25 for a while, I played my first game and it was very entertaining, challenging. The next game was a ping pong, the CPU defenders who in the previous game didn't let you breathe, now at speed you passed them very easily. I tried everything to see if I could return the game to "normal" it was impossible. I returned to the same match now and the game is a luxury. I am deeply sorry that this happens, I don't know what causes it but it ruins a solid, challenging and fun game.
I feel exactly the same. Please, if you can, try recording clips when this happens so that they can be put side-by-side. Only then will this be taken seriously and might EA fix it.

Career Mode eh?

Yesterday I was reading a guy on reddit who was blaming the 'emotion' scripts that EA implements in the CM matches, that functionality being the main responsible for altering the gameplay. The scripts for bad or good streaks that are applied not only to your team's AI but also to your opponent's, the coaches/trainers system, etc... All of that breaks everything.

Career Mode eh?

Yesterday I was reading a guy on reddit who was blaming the 'emotion' scripts that EA implements in the CM matches, that functionality being the main responsible for altering the gameplay. The scripts for bad or good streaks that are applied not only to your team's AI but also to your opponent's, the coaches/trainers system, etc... All of that breaks everything.
I have disabled all of that because of a mod I made, and at most that can increase the speed, aggressiveness, etc. by a few points. And if that is true, why now the same game that was flying is now going slowly, with the same streaks, same players, etc.? really frustrating

I have disabled all of that because of a mod I made, and at most that can increase the speed, aggressiveness, etc. by a few points. And if that is true, why now the same game that was flying is now going slowly, with the same streaks, same players, etc.? really frustrating

Clearly there is something in the EA's 'black box' of gameplay that cannot be reached with mods and that is totally disconcerting. With your permission, a question: You who have good exposure on social networks about the FIFA/EA FC brand, have you never been able to reach a DEV with a question about this issue that has been going on for years?

Back
Top Bottom