EA SPORTS FC 25

Can we see somewhere how much time we've played from the trial? I remember it used to show play time when we started, but now I can't find it anywhere. I'm on Xbox.

I have a theory that, in sim mode, the base game speed (which impacts all physics) is turned up or down depending on the match - just hunch based on what I'm seeing, but if that's the case, that would be appalling.

The main reason I think this, is that some games, my players feel grounded and it's a beautiful feeling (and the opposition too). Then the next game, they're on rocket skates (along with the opponent). If the speed is just being turned up or down to make it feel different... That would be such an insult.

As someone has already pointed out, Champions League games in-particular are like going from "sim mode" to "Ultimate Team mode", but it's not just the horrible accuracy (which IS bad, mainly because the pass-related "PlayStyles" OP bullshit makes it impossible to miss a pass for example)... It's the speed of the entire game. All players turn so quickly it looks like they're having a seizure, and the ball moves like a bullet.
This has been a long standing feeling amongst players for a couple of years, I was bit dubious of it myself considering it some kind of placebo, @Anth James can attest to this as he knows the gameplay very well and he has said even when he's slowed down his mod as much as possible, the game randomly speeds up even when totally cut off from an internet connection.

I wonder if there's some kind of modifier in the games code to make some matches feel faster to create a sense of excitement and prevent a repetitive feeling from match to match perhaps?

It's not a totally absurd concept. We know this happens in PES games where in play session, scripting and cheating can kick in and sometimes it takes relaunching the game or even rebooting your machine to remove this boosting/nerfing from the game's memory and replaying the corrupt match in question.

But that's my conspiracy theory for another place and time

Tested game again. I could stay with skating, poor physics etc ..i can accept a more arcade experience in this regard.
I really can't go over 1 vs 1 mechanics. It's unacceatable see defensive line waiting back, with opponent winger or forward run into space without anyone track him. I have only the control of one player, plus a second one to make some pressing to ball carrier: how the hell should i cover all the passing lanes with only one player?
Not to mention that Defenders are always too much far from opponent's forward which have always a lot of space to turn (something that don't happens at all in real life).
I like the manual defending,but it should be there even A.i off the ball movement. It's a fucking 11vs11 sport.
A.i is too much important in football game. A football game can't only rely on fancy animations,reactive dribbling and controls or amazing ball physics (but this last one doesn't belong to FC).
Why old PS2 Pes are so much good? Cause they fusion control responsivness,arcadish animations with a great ball physics, physical challenges,great players individuality and a good A.i
It doesn't mind if they have auto passes or only 8 directions when everything is well rounded and balanced.
Fc25,again like its predecessors since fifa20, is an arcade football game but umbalanced too..
I will stuck on PS2 and fifa16/14 this year too
Can't agree more... 1v1 totally killed FIFA for me. I can't get over that area superiority is useless in this game.

I mean it has tons of other issues but this is a deal-breaker to me. I'll get back to FIFA/eafc once this ridiculous arcade stuff is gone

Last edited:
World Class feels good to me - Legendary introduces too much silliness. But it depends on your controller settings etc., and your ability - you'd have to experiment yourself.
Perfect that's what I've been using. Very low scoring games worth 8 minutes length

Game keeps asking me to press R2 but nothing happens when I do.

And now I just started a Cup match and can't change the camera.

Last edited:

Seems like it’s gonna be yet another year of waiting for modders to fix the basic career mode stuff that EA does not care too much about - yet bragging about it in their list of features :).
So many basic things in career mode is broken. It's sad to see. The youth thingy is definitely a deal breaker for me. But with modding maybe i can fix that. Who knows.

I played today two matches and it feels that EA FC 24 is back and sim mode + tactical CPU AI is canceled. Nice, job done €A! 🖕

Sim mode being broken in UCL will never be fixed. It was a promising start but it's not enough to get me to buy it.

They do so many things right but the core gameplay still gets stale even with improvements.

Playing on WC without any sliders (yet), and the defending is absolutely killing it for me.

One touch/sprint and an attacker is in behind and the defenders - regardless of attributes - are so slow to get back. Every goal I concede is as a result of this. I never feel like the CPU has legitimately gotten in behind, cut me open, put in a great cross or anything.

I dont get the positive vibes. I think the game is pretty bad. Better than 24 maybe but thats not saying much. Plus I cannot believe the quick substitution bug is not fixed and in my bundesliga the camera does not change plus the tactics cant be changed in game. Well a lot of bugs and a bad bad football game. For me its also back to FIFA 19 which is 100 times better and more realistic.

Something I find weird, when I first started my career (on sim settings) I was winning games on world class by big margins, switched to legendary and then ultimate and mostly the same, although I also got battered a few times on ultimate.

Yesterday I found I could barely score, switched back to legendary and still the same, and the world class was a breeze again but no where near how easy I found it originally.

A few more things, the quick sub glitch is annoying as hell, and player switching seems to be broken when defending set pieces which means I’m conceding loads of free kick goals especially.

Oh also, the AI red cards are hilarious. I think I have the referee on strict so maybe a I need to change it, but some of the tackles are so wild I’m not sure that would make a difference. Anyway, I don’t hate it, just needs to be toned down by like 75%, I’ve probably had 7 so red cards In about 30 games.

I dont get the positive vibes. I think the game is pretty bad. Better than 24 maybe but thats not saying much. Plus I cannot believe the quick substitution bug is not fixed and in my bundesliga the camera does not change plus the tactics cant be changed in game. Well a lot of bugs and a bad bad football game. For me its also back to FIFA 19 which is 100 times better and more realistic.
fifa 19 has midfield issues, no midfield , u should play 16, im playing modded 16, for ball physics and cheat engine for speedhack to make it slow, and it s been great

Can we see somewhere how much time we've played from the trial? I remember it used to show play time when we started, but now I can't find it anywhere. I'm on Xbox.
It should be visible every time you start the game. Something like "you have less than 9h of play"

Playing on WC without any sliders (yet), and the defending is absolutely killing it for me.

One touch/sprint and an attacker is in behind and the defenders - regardless of attributes - are so slow to get back. Every goal I concede is as a result of this. I never feel like the CPU has legitimately gotten in behind, cut me open, put in a great cross or anything.
Yeah this is also a known issue, I think @Matt10 is very familiar with it and coined as the centre back jockey bug?

I might be mistaken but I think what you're talking about is when the attacker runs past your defender, your defender doesn't immediately burst into life and starts chasing but rather jockeys/jogs for a second before waking up and letting you sprint and that costs you valuable mini seconds to stand a chance of defending the threat.

Oh also, the AI red cards are hilarious. I think I have the referee on strict so maybe a I need to change it, but some of the tackles are so wild I’m not sure that would make a difference. Anyway, I don’t hate it, just needs to be toned down by like 75%, I’ve probably had 7 so red cards In about 30 games.
I know I'm repeating myself here but...

This all stems back to FIFA 22 Title Update 2:

It was immediately apparent that - to "fix" the lack of fouls mentioned by the Career Mode community, they made the AI so aggressive they break your legs at every opportunity:

[...]look what's happened with the previous lack of AI fouls in the latest update [...] the change isn't "let's make the AI's decision-making when it comes to defending less perfect", or even "let's give the referee the ability to see physical challenges that aren't deliberate tackles as fouls". They've literally just made the AI randomly slide-tackle you sometimes, in situations that aren't realistic.

This is FC25 - straight from kick-off, FFS, it's a joke:

Frankly, it's one of, if not the, (and I hate to use this word) laziest attempts to address feedback I've seen in gaming.

But they have no better way to make fouls happen, and it's a game balancing issue that's very difficult to fix without serious fundamental changes (which the game has desperately needed for a long time).

When there is so much space, and when defensive AI is 1v1-based and defenders are (literally coded to be) blind to opposition players and the runs they're making etc., you're rarely going to be in a situation where a tackle can take place.

It's just one reason why FIFA/FC isn't a football game - but a football-themed arcade game.

FCIQ and sim mode genuinely represent a big moment in the series, IMO (this is stuff that would only frustrate the FUT audience, as we sim-gamers perceive them). They represent a lot of work - and the Career Mode is spectacular, it's a brilliant management game (particularly with the changes to the youth side of it).

But it's bolted onto:
  • A fundamental gameplay design (1v1) that is nothing to do with football
  • An animation engine (Hypermotion) designed for supreme responsiveness at the expense of physics
  • On-rails passing (even on manual) and direct-to-player deflections that wouldn't be out of place in a PS2 game, and
  • Glue-boots that, without exaggeration, can be found in FIFA 98
You just can't turn all of that into a realistic football game that compares with the best modern FIFAs - and certainly not PES in its prime.

I still did not make my mind about this game and i do a lot of slider research, but i don't get how someone can critize deflections and freedom of passing. Maybe It is down to my first touch settings, but i see more free balls, CPU errors and variety than in any other football game before. Even player movement is far from perfect, but less shaolin-based than ever.

Are we talking about different things?

I still did not make my mind about this game and i do a lot of slider research, but i don't get how someone can critize deflections and freedom of passing. Maybe It is down to my first touch settings, but i see more free balls, CPU errors and variety than in any other football game before. Even player movement is far from perfect, but less shaolin-based than ever.

Are we talking about different things?
I would genuinely love to see a deflection that doesn't go directly to a player, please show me if you can and tell me what your settings are (because for me, on World Class, on full manual, it's obvious).

That's not being sarcastic, I would love to see it, because even my favourite goalmouth incident so far was ruined by the fact that the (great-looking) deflection "just happens" to go directly to my striker for the volley... and once you see it, you see it everywhere and realise it underpins the whole game.

On a different note - not posting this to be toxic, because obviously normal players won't use this kind of crap, but the fact that the game allows this to happen (the completely pointless defenders and the insane speed) is why I can't see FC ever becoming a serious football game:

(From this tweet: "Hold L1/LB, let go and instantly hold R2/RT, beat the defenders every time!")

Thing is, it would be a good mechanic if it wasn't so cheap - if defenders defended and if every single attacking tool wasn't blatantly OP.

I would genuinely love to see a deflection that doesn't go directly to a player, please show me if you can and tell me what your settings are (because for me, on World Class, on full manual, it's obvious).

That's not being sarcastic, I would love to see it, because even my favourite goalmouth incident so far was ruined by the fact that the (great-looking) deflection "just happens" to go directly to my striker for the volley... and once you see it, you see it everywhere and realise it underpins the whole game.

On a different note - not posting this to be toxic, because obviously normal players won't use this kind of crap, but the fact that the game allows this to happen (the completely pointless defenders and the insane speed) is why I can't see FC ever becoming a serious football game:

(From this tweet: "Hold L1/LB, let go and instantly hold R2/RT, beat the defenders every time!")

Thing is, it would be a good mechanic if it wasn't so cheap - if defenders defended and if every single attacking tool wasn't blatantly OP.
Regarding the latest… yep, it’s sad.
I taught myself to not use it for some time now. But it’s there… 🤯
Even without using sprint it works….

Another really weird thing is the circular movement lock - hard to describe but easy to see. The game is full of so much outright bizarre stuff. From a game I had yesterday:

Players just never feel like human beings!

Yeah this is also a known issue, I think @Matt10 is very familiar with it and coined as the centre back jockey bug?

I might be mistaken but I think what you're talking about is when the attacker runs past your defender, your defender doesn't immediately burst into life and starts chasing but rather jockeys/jogs for a second before waking up and letting you sprint and that costs you valuable mini seconds to stand a chance of defending the threat.

Sounds like that or the need to "pump" the sprint button issue we had on slow gamespeed. Can do that or raise acceleration in the gameplay sliders.

CB Jockey is either teammate AI or CPU defenders just continuous jockeying/shuffling after the ball is past them. I haven't seen that in FC25 yet. Hopefully won't ever :)

Sounds like that or the need to "pump" the sprint button issue we had on slow gamespeed. Can do that or raise acceleration in the gameplay sliders.

CB Jockey is either teammate AI or CPU defenders just continuous jockeying/shuffling after the ball is past them. I haven't seen that in FC25 yet. Hopefully won't ever :)
Ahh gotcha, I thought it referred to them being dozy when the attacker is or has ran past them

Another really weird thing is the circular movement lock - hard to describe but easy to see. The game is full of so much outright bizarre stuff. From a game I had yesterday:

Players just never feel like human beings!
That's just nitpicking, Chris!
When Im running to the fridge, but on the way I remember that I need to go to the Jax first - I do the exact same maneuver!

I have to say, Career Mode is really good this year. The youth side of things, and Rush... It sounds like a gimmick, it even has the name of a gimmick, but it isn't.

You get to know your youth players before you let them loose in your first team, it gives them a personality (and gives your save game depth). But not only that, on sim mode, I genuinely think I prefer Rush to the 11v11 gameplay. I think it's because the AI suits those smaller-team games much more than full teams, and when there's lots of space, it feels natural (because there's only half the players).

Then there's the tactics, and the with/without ball view (the good old Championship Manager "wibwob" view)...

As a fan of a small team with one decent player, setting up a tactic to utilise him as much as possible - and seeing it translated on the pitch just as you wanted it to - is really satisfying.

Omari Patrick is a left-winger, really fast, great dribbler for League Two level. I gave him an attacking winger mentality, and then had my LCM act as a half-winger to cover the space left behind (which luckily was a role he has a + for).

To see it working how you intended is a little bit of magic. I've always wanted a game that's LMA Manager between matchdays and PES for the games themselves... Well it's actually deeper than LMA Manager. It's just the gameplay that needs work.

Whoever made Career Mode and/or sim mode... Give them whatever they want, EA, and for God's sake give them more freedom to improve the gameplay. It could be something really special in future.

Back
Top Bottom