Chelsea Thread

damn disappointed with the results.. formation was bad should have tried a 4-4-2 but instead tried the conventional 4-3-3. I guess tottenham deserved this win... guts me but still have to agree with plan m. We should have attacked a lot more to get the lead to 2 at least. I hope grant learns from this loss and changes strategies, tactics & formations...

Ballack has never been given a proper run. He was given a good run when Frank was injured, and he was pretty good. It's just about getting used to the pace.

That's exactly it.

Yeah you have won a lot with Lampard and he has done well, but for me that's as far as it goes because he hasn't got that extra bit of class.
Same story for England and is why Ballack should be starting for Chelsea and Gerrard for England simply because they have that extra percent that sets them apart.:))

No - please don't start another row about Frank Lampard. It is not his fault we got beat yesterday, nor is leaving him out going to start a miraculous run of wins. The problems run much deeper than that.

Off the top of my head -
the obsession with 'brand'

the youth set-up (good players overlooked in favour of disinterested pro's)

the management structure (Just who is in charge?)

the playing squad (Having spent about £150 million in the last 3 years, why is it now much poorer than 2005?)

true our youth team is basically non-existing. We have promising players such as Ben Sahar, Sinclair, di santo who are bound to make it into some premiership teams first squad but we still go on to buy washed out pro's... or pro's who nearing past their prime... We too are at fault... we keep screaming our heads out that we want modric, benzema, ronaldinho etc... come on chelsea give the youth some chance who knows we might just find a messi in them...

Roman wants Chelsea to be as big as Liverpool & Man United globally. I can't see that happening in the near future, if ever.

If he wants to be big globally, all he has to do is win things Plan M - it's hardly brain surgery. And the way to do that is to have a good manager (jury's out) a hungry, talented playing squad (nope) and a good youth structure to replace ageing players (nope).

If you don't win things, Kok Wee in Thailand isn't going to buy your shirt. Bottom line.

Not blaming Lampard for the final, but I think as one step you could do a lot worse than to replace him for Ballack, especially in Europe.

Just a simple observation/opinion mate, nothing else.

sorry but this bloke bores the pants of me i cant stand to listen to him talk especially after the last couple of managers chelsea have had...

grant's done a good job till now.. sadly the players didn't perform and tottenham players did... kudos to them... we should now get back on track... and worry about the remaining competitions.Plan m we are becoming big in regards to man u and liverpool.

grant's done a good job till now.. sadly the players didn't perform and tottenham players did... kudos to them... we should now get back on track... and worry about the remaining competitions.Plan m we are becoming big in regards to man u and liverpool.

good job??:?:?yes he has done a good job against the likes of Fulham or Derby but against the Big guns when it really matter?
first Game MAN u away,ok it was his first game ,he took charge of the team 2 day before,no probleme.
Arsenal away,with some good tactical changes we could have defintely got a draw there.
Liverpool Carling cup 1/4 final,we started to look good only when Crouch was sent off,
Liverpool at home,never seen a such boring game,if Liverpool had the confidence they would have won this game as they were the better team
Carling Cup final,read my post above...

Henk ten Cate admits he experienced an 'F-word' row with Chelsea captain John Terry prior to the Carling Cup final.

The Dutch coach, who joined Chelsea manager Avram Grant's backroom staff in October after leaving Ajax, has confirmed reports he endured a training ground bust-up with Terry.

Ten Cate confesses that he and Terry had a difference of opinion regarding the 'intensity' of a Blues training session in the build-up to Sunday's 2-1 Wembley defeat to Tottenham.

The defeat has heaped pressure on Chelsea's managerial staff and Ten Cate's confirmation of the dispute with club skipper Terry will not help the cause.

Source: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3202832,00.html

Don't know much about this, just read the above - But I hope Ten Cate won.

Mourinho's legacy is going to cause us problems for a while yet. Lot's of the players still miss him, plus the fact he signed so many donkey's in his 3 years means we'll get nowhere until they are shipped out.

I'm sure the players that need to be shipped out will be shipped out in due course... lets give Grant some time... he must be good if we look at what he accomplished in the premier league, fa, champs league and also the carling cup. I don't think in the history of epl did any team's manager was fired (left mutual consent read whatever you want), keeping that in mind and settling the chaos admirable isn't it?

I'm sure the players that need to be shipped out will be shipped out in due course... lets give Grant some time... he must be good if we look at what he accomplished in the premier league, fa, champs league and also the carling cup. I don't think in the history of epl did any team's manager was fired (left mutual consent read whatever you want), keeping that in mind and settling the chaos admirable isn't it?

Yeh, give Grant time to settle the team. And I hear Abrahimovic is going to spend 100m in the summer?! You're never going to achieve anything with that. It's simple. Grant is the manager. Let him choose the team. Let him decide the player. Then IF he finds a few positions weakened, he can get the players he wants. IMO this team

Cech

Beletti (you could improve here)
Terry
Carvalho
Ashley Cole

Mikel
Essien
Ballack

Cole
Drogba/Anelka
Wright Phillips

Should be expected to challenge any team.

Cech

Beletti (you could improve here)
Terry
Carvalho
Ashley Cole

Mikel
Essien
Ballack

Cole
Drogba/Anelka
Wright Phillips

Should be expected to challenge any team.

dani-alves.jpg

He is the man, mate!

Oh god. I would be pissed off if he went to any other club in England other than Liverpool (which he won't). I am hoping Barcelona buy him since Zambrotta might be off to Italy. But he is surely the man though! He's ABSOLUTELY IMMENSE!

Last edited:
Beletti he's surely the man... he's played really well and has provided a good attacking balance to the squad on the right back... strange wonder where Ivanovic is going to play now.... I'm still looking forward to the day when Sinclair, Di Santo and Ben Sahar are going to play for the Chelsea Squad. All of them have the potential to become new Messi, Ronaldinho or Pato....

You can have all the riches in the world - you have to get them playing together properly.

Beletti he's surely the man... he's played really well and has provided a good attacking balance to the squad on the right back... strange wonder where Ivanovic is going to play now.... I'm still looking forward to the day when Sinclair, Di Santo and Ben Sahar are going to play for the Chelsea Squad. All of them have the potential to become new Messi, Ronaldinho or Pato....

I admire your optimism Delta, really I do!

While Beletti is doing a decent job for us this year, at the end of the day, he can't defend. Neither can Alves for that matter so I hope we avoid him (and the £25m price tag). I don't know anything about Ivanovic, but if he's average at defending and average at attacking, I'd be happy with him. We played some of our best stuff with the very unadventurous Paolo Ferreira at RB - we don't need a Pele there. If we want attacking flair, let's buy a decent winger and fook SWP off.

Sinclair looks very promising, don't know anything about Di Santo but Sahar is Championship bound. I've not seen anything special in him at all.

BUT - We do have a lad called Kakata coming through the ranks - he's a real talent.

Last edited:
Have to disagree with that. Alves is a very good defender. It's just that his attacking game overshadows his defensive game. If Chelsea buy Alves next season, he's going to improve the team a LOT. He is really that good.

Have to disagree with that. Alves is a very good defender. It's just that his attacking game overshadows his defensive game. If Chelsea buy Alves next season, he's going to improve the team a LOT. He is really that good.

And I have to disagree with that. 75% of the time he's probably great, but I've also seen him put in some real horror shows for Sevilla and Brasil against half decent opposition. Positionally, he's all over the place and his awareness is horrible - a real ball watcher. He's not a right back, or at least, not the sort we need.

And I have to disagree with that. 75% of the time he's probably great, but I've also seen him put in some real horror shows for Sevilla and Brasil against half decent opposition. Positionally, he's all over the place and his awareness is horrible - a real ball watcher. He's not a right back, or at least, not the sort we need.

And I have to agree with Abhishek. Daniel Alves is the best RB in the world, my friend. His attacking performance is brilliant. Not the best in defense, probably Maicon defends better than him, but in relation attack-defense he is surely the best. As you said 75% of the time he's probably great which is good for a top player who plays 3 times a week. He is more consistent than Belleti and Paulo Ferreira. So I think he is the man for Chelsea.

Daniel Alves is the best RB in the world.... ....Not the best in defense.

But this is my point - How can someone be the best right back in the world if they can't defend? Surely it's the first line of the job description?

I'm not saying he's not a talented footballer, but what's the point in signing a guy who can't fill the job spec? He'd give us more attacking options (although the way we're playing, even that isn't a cert.) but if it's attacking options we want, then we need to replace Robben properly, not buy a right back.

Back
Top Bottom