Chelsea Thread

I think that going into a match with a 4-6-0 formation does tell you a lot about being defensive rather than offensive. Chelsea depended on the surges of the 3 Brazilians (Oscar, Willian and even Ramires), while Hazard was nearly anonymous and Cesc Fabregas did little else other than that great long ball to Oscar.

It was plain to see how Chelsea wanted the stalemate and they'd only wait for Arsenal moves to counter that.

I'm not saying it is wrong either to defend a 10 point lead. They earned this position in the league, fair enough. I just cannot stomach Chelsea fans coming here and saying Arsenal were defensive and wanted the draw. Just shows how clueless people are.

@Rent-You gotta take it w/ a grain of salt. They're being defensive and Mou is panicking being called boring. Wenger doesn't bat an eye at chanting from fans. Chels got battered by MUFC and thought Arsenal might get the better of us.

I dislike lots of things about Chels more then any of the 92 Clubs in the Country. The fans don't bother me since ignorance is bliss . I think most of their fans ( from the current generation) think Chels has the most trophies and the best youth system to date. I would look a total knob to even debate such w/ a fan...everyone should think their mum is the best anyways.

Chelsea deserves this season title by a country mile... No argument on that, whether they play beautiful is a view and opinion of others to decide -_- . Chels will sell , buy and loan out more players next season. So , clubs need to buy early or Chels will buy to loan out before anyone else. That's their tactics!

The three big questions for Chelsea imo are:

1. Will Abramovich be happy with a title in this way? Basically played crap football since Christmas - though were great in the first 3 months of the season. Could have been the Spurs match, could be a coincidence, but Jose's gone back to being Jose.

2. Where does this squad go with FFP? It's a pretty 'small' squad, and the only way CFC have been able to meet FFP (which they've been very supportive of) was selling some excess players are huge fees. I don't think they have any leftovers remaining to sell, other than their army of loanees who aren't really top level. CFC really need another forward to cope with Costa's injuries, basically pray that Terry and Matic never get injured (which they haven't this season) and if anything were to happen to Hazard, it's game over. In fact, when you look at the injury table, perhaps Chelsea's Physio should be the POTY!

3. Best youth team in the country for half a decade. Utter dominance at that level. Number of youth graduates who've played > 5 times this year for the first team? 0. Very odd. If Jose genuinely wants to stay and build a dynasty - something he doesn't do - he needs to learn how to integrate youth players, rather than only have players at their peak. It's a luxury he's been afforded for a decade, but you can't have it that way forever.

2. Where does this squad go with FFP? It's a pretty 'small' squad, and the only way CFC have been able to meet FFP (which they've been very supportive of) was selling some excess players are huge fees. I don't think they have any leftovers remaining to sell, other than their army of loanees who aren't really top level. CFC really need another forward to cope with Costa's injuries, basically pray that Terry and Matic never get injured (which they haven't this season) and if anything were to happen to Hazard, it's game over. In fact, when you look at the injury table, perhaps Chelsea's Physio should be the POTY!

You are forgetting that this year revenue and next year revenue counts towards the ffp quota. Chelsea will have, let's say, 20 million from the CL, plus the EPL TV revenue and sponsorship, etc. So they will probably have around 40 million to spend without having to sell a single player. But they will sell some youngsters and Cech so that "cap space" would increase in 20 million or more (10 or 15 for Cech, and the loanees would go so 4/5 at minimum per player, assuming that they are not well rated). Plenty of money to make key signings or maybe get a star player.

Reckon they'll sell Oscar for daft money

Think Mourinho will move Fabregas forward and look to get Koke in alongside Matic

You are forgetting that this year revenue and next year revenue counts towards the ffp quota. Chelsea will have, let's say, 20 million from the CL, plus the EPL TV revenue and sponsorship, etc. So they will probably have around 40 million to spend without having to sell a single player. But they will sell some youngsters and Cech so that "cap space" would increase in 20 million or more (10 or 15 for Cech, and the loanees would go so 4/5 at minimum per player, assuming that they are not well rated). Plenty of money to make key signings or maybe get a star player.

That's only one half of the equation. Chelsea's Opearting profit in 2014 was -£46m. They were only able to post a profit because they sold a whopping £65m of players. Not going to happen this year, and I can't imagine their costs have gone down much.

And not sure why their CL money would go up - they didn't get any further this year. New prem deal will help, but without sales that would mean losses of about -£20m for 2015. So maybe some player sales will help, but I can't see them being profitable again.

Not everyday you sell David Lolz for £50m.

That's only one half of the equation. Chelsea's Opearting profit in 2014 was -£46m. They were only able to post a profit because they sold a whopping £65m of players. Not going to happen this year, and I can't imagine their costs have gone down much.

And not sure why their CL money would go up - they didn't get any further this year. New prem deal will help, but without sales that would mean losses of about -£20m for 2015. So maybe some player sales will help, but I can't see them being profitable again.

Not everyday you sell David Lolz for £50m.

But last year they spend close to €100 million in tranfers. Not going to happen next year either. They have tones of assets in the loanees that they can sell - especially to other EPL teams that got the new money from the tv deal and don't have ffp concerns, since they don't have a chance to go to Europe - so they have the flexibility to pursue key players and can return some of the loanees to had depth to their squad. I think you're painting a darker picture for Chelsea that the reality will be for them, IMO. They will be fine in the EPL, the question is: will they be able to step up in Europe? I think they need a top class winger and a CB to compete with Real, Barça and Bayern, so they need to spend around €40 or €50 for that to happen.

Real and Barca (and Atletico) will be banned from signing players this summer so it could be a great chance for Chelsea, City, Utd, Arsenal to have almost free reign in the transfer market

It is strange to say after a season like this, but Chelsea need another manager than Mourinho.
He is not good with young players, he relies on the players he knows: Terry, Ivanovic, Drogba, Mikel...

There is a danger that those players will play the season too much (that is already a faéct for Drogba).

I don't understand why he hardly used players like Salah and De Bruyne who are now playing fantastic football (and these are the two i remember there must be others llike them like Sturridge).

It is also true that Chelsea are too dependent on Hazard. Hazard will certainly have periods where he is out of form, Chelsea will suffer then.

I don't see how Chelsea could win in Europe against teams like PSG (not that good, but better than Chelsea), Bayern, Juventus, and the 3 Spanish teams. Chelsea are master in defending, but to defend in Europe one must also score goals.

About playing attractive football. People are way too harsh for Chelsea. Until Christmas they were fantastic, a joy to watch. Afterwards the form has dropped and they never recovered. But imo the team that manages it's bad period best is the team that wins the league and that is what Chelsea have done...there is nothing worong with that.

The matches against United and Arsenal were boring? One might argue that they were boring because Arsenal and United weren't good enough. If they had scored, Chelsea would have to attack...and once again..how many saves did Courtois had to do against those two contenders (who never were contenders at all).

Very interesting article. This is living proof of what i already thought, that Chelsea isn't the only club that is a graveyard for homegrown youth players.

One can say that the EPL as a whole is a graveyard for player coming through the youth ranks. IMO there are two notorious exceptions: Southampton and Spurs (Spurs in the last two seasons only).

That's fascinating and depressing. I don't know enough about other teams, but most of the United players have plenty of senior appearances - but not for United.

This year is a great example of U21 success not predicting senior team success for us - far and away our best U21 defender was Tom Thorpe (captained team with Pogba/Morrison/Tunnicliffe) but he's not gotten more than a couple minutes, whereas McNair and Blackett never looked nearly as good for the U21s but will have both played around 10 senior matches this season.

Very weird.

Chelsea can rub it all in now.... All the campaigns etc. all post match interview can start and end w/ a grin. I just wonder if Mou will grin or take pop shots!!! Will he let reserve get a few or will he play differently now is something to see.

Chelsea can rub it all in now.... All the campaigns etc. all post match interview can start and end w/ a grin. I just wonder if Mou will grin or take pop shots!!! Will he let reserve get a few or will he play differently now is something to see.

We are going to have a "boring boring party" :D

Congratulations are in order... Well Done to all Chelsea supporters in this community . Mourinho cross the finish line \0/ !!!

Congratulations are in order... Well Done to all Chelsea supporters in this community . Mourinho cross the finish line \0/ !!!

I hope them lots are so loud celebrating as Champions , Arsene can hear from his bedroom. :)

Nobody could dispute that since they're winning it with 3 rounds to spare.

Speaking solely of today: Hazard did dive though.
Fitting way to crown a Mourinho managed Chelsea champions eh! :P

No wonder they call us boring :D

11180318_903078076411565_9023003650664906080_n.jpg

Well deserved champions with the best team of the league by far. They had the best player this year, the best starting eleven and best bench as well. Let's hope that more teams will be able to compete with them next season, but again, without a doubt, well deserved champions!

Best team in the league and deserved champions. Just hope someone challenges next year - genuinely don't believe this Chelsea team is close to the first few years of Mourinho.

The gap with the European top teams is certainly bigger.
I don't see any English team capable of winning the CL.

The status quo in European football is terrifying...

3 of the four current semi-finalists are the only teams capable of competing year afte year for the CL title: Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munchen.

And then there is a wide gap.

Juventus could win it this year, if everything goes for them...

Good Lord gerd.. Let Chelsea soak up this praises w/o bringing Europe involved: :LOL:

We've been slamming them all season ;) .

Back
Top Bottom