Chelsea Thread

it really amazes me how the Special one can win the League titles with relative ease whilst some have been trying for years. Just look at his record in Italy. Wherever he goes he has this special ability to bring out the best in players. It is this special ability that makes him extraordinary.

Mou goes to clubs where the probability is there , but can he go to Newcastle and win it? Let's keep things in perspective... No one pays a prostitute for a hug.

it really amazes me how the Special one can win the League titles with relative ease whilst some have been trying for years. Just look at his record in Italy. Wherever he goes he has this special ability to bring out the best in players. It is this special ability that makes him extraordinary.

I'm guessing here, but joining the richest club in each league helps.

But that isnt what makes him succesfull, its getting players to completely follow him with whatever it takes to win. Whether that is tactics, effort or gamesmanship. Amazing consistancy, even if I cant stand the way he goes about it at times, its hugely impressive.

I'm guessing here, but joining the richest club in each league helps.

But that isnt what makes him succesfull, its getting players to completely follow him with whatever it takes to win. Whether that is tactics, effort or gamesmanship. Amazing consistancy, even if I cant stand the way he goes about it at times, its hugely impressive.

Exactly.

Both points are valid.

1) He's great at what he does.

2) He's only doing this with clubs that have an excellent chance of winning the title anyway.

I like Mou, but the Italian reference is a poor one. When he went to Inter they'd just won 3 consecutive scudettos under Mancini. He just kept it going. Plus Milan were in free fall and Juve weren't even in Serie A.

I'd still love to see him build a team. He's never done it - he always inherits one of the best 2/3 squads, adds a few peak players, wins stuff for 2/3 years by burning out players at their peak and the leaves to the next thing.

I think he's a great manager from both the man-management and tactical sides, but he's also an odious prick with no respect for sportsmanship or class, which is unfortunate. Hopefully he'll mellow in his old age and realise that if he wants a legacy where he's loved outside of 3 clubs, he needs to start acting like the champion he undoubtedly is. (cause Real fans already detest him)

Well he build Porto and won UCL with them.

Anyway, why the heck are we buying Lambert as Drogba's replacement? Why such a crappy old player?

I like Mou, but the Italian reference is a poor one. When he went to Inter they'd just won 3 consecutive scudettos under Mancini. He just kept it going. Plus Milan were in free fall and Juve weren't even in Serie A.

That's very true. And Porto too, if you think about it, in the context of the Portuguese league, they were the undisputed force in Portugal at that time. Especially at that time. Back then they were even more dominant in Portugal than they are now. Benfica had a really poor spell last decade.

So, out of the Portuguese league, people say it was a genius thing to win the CL with Porto. May be so. But that was a very strange year. They met Monaco in the final. It could have been Didier Deschamps winning it with Monaco, it would have been equally genius, or even more so.

I don't buy it, guys. He's got obvious talents in tactics and managing personnel, but he's been taking some of the most powerful squads in the world lately and going for this dull, overly pragmatic and defensive (if not coward) approach. Some managers have gotten the measure of him as well. Blanc knocked him out at his own turf with 10 men, and when the likes of Sam Allardyce resort to exactly the same tactics he does at times, Mourinho labels it 19th century football :LOL:
The difference being that West Ham's budget must be 5% that of Chelsea's!
I mean, really. Apart being a prick, being such a hypocrite doesn't help his cause either.

Right now he's sitting up there at a comfortable place, with one of the most brilliant (and expensively assembled) squads in the world, and still chooses to play for 0-0 draws and stuff... Well I'd like to see him out of his comfort zone one day very soon.

Dare I ask, would he make a side like Southampton look as good as Koeman and Pochettino did?

Oops rentboy, imo there is a lot wrong with that last post.
It's obvious that you don't like Mourinho.

Do i like him? sometimes yes, somtimes no.
The fact is that most people take him way too serious. He is some sort of Grand Guignol persona that deflect the attention from his players by saying very outrageous things.

About your last post.

Porto: yes they totally dominated the Portugese league. Anderlecht has dominated the Belgian league, just like Celtic now dominates the Scottish league. Nevertheless it would be a major achievement if one those teams could win the CL (it would be even a massive achievement if Ajax could win the CL once again). And i remember that at the time Porto had roughly the same budget as Anderlecht. In a football world where money is more and more important, that is a fantastic achievement.

At the end of your post you ask yourself if Mourinho would have good results with Southampton. One can ask the same question about Guardiola and almost every other big name coach or manager. How would Ancelotti do at Burnley? Would Michels have been a legendary coach if he didn't worjk with Ajax but with PEC Zwolle? How would Ferguson have done with Bolton Wanderers and what if Cruijff would have been manager of Tenerife? We will never know.

Personally i'm also tempted to have more sympathy for a caoch who makes a club big than for the big club coaches. But if i'm objective, i think winning things with those mega clubs is also very difficult. It's obvious that one has the best players in the world and thus everything to win silverware. But those players have larger than life ego's. Do you really think it's that easy to control a squad like Chelsea's day in day out? Ask big Phil Scolari...

Mourinho often acts like a jerk. But imo he is a fabulous manager...

Ferguson won the European Cup with Aberdeen.

Mourinho must have done a Faust deal for the Porto CL win. I only watched the United matches, but Porto were done and dusted if not for some shocking decisions by the referees. Scholes scored a goal played onside by no less than 3 defenders which would have meant Porto needed to score 2 more in 10 mins, but inexplicably the linesman got it massively wrong. Howard droped a routine save into the path of McCarthy in the 93rd minute to gift them the win - and end his United career.

It was jammy. Not a tactical masterclass imo. United were lazy because Porto weren't causing any problems and they thought they were through.

No idea how the other matches went, but just saying.

I dont think the CL argument holds up tbh, see exhibit Djimi Traore.

What I mean is, a cup run can easily go either way, Porto should have been knocked out by Utd. Inter parked the bus in both the semi and final and won against the run of play. See Liverpool 2005.

He hasn't been good in the CL when having the superior teams. Never got to the final with Chelsea, next season grant lost to Utd. A couple of seasons later Di Matteo won it. At Real the same, Ancelotti won it the very next season.

The same in the leagues really, walk over the minnows and be negative in the big matches. Nullifying your direct opponent and making the difference with a superior team against the rest. That set up in the CL leaves a lot to chance.

I dont think the CL argument holds up tbh, see exhibit Djimi Traore.

What I mean is, a cup run can easily go either way, Porto should have been knocked out by Utd. Inter parked the bus in both the semi and final and won against the run of play. See Liverpool 2005.

He hasn't been good in the CL when having the superior teams. Never got to the final with Chelsea, next season grant lost to Utd. A couple of seasons later Di Matteo won it. At Real the same, Ancelotti won it the very next season.

The same in the leagues really, walk over the minnows and be negative in the big matches. Nullifying your direct opponent and making the difference with a superior team against the rest. That set up in the CL leaves a lot to chance.

Totally agree with this personally. But then again, if it happens once it's a fluke, but when he manages to do it twice?

beachryan, I think it was Costinha who scored that time at OT.

That was a weaker team than most of the others in the knockout stages of the CL, but hardly an unknown hopeful bunch. They had Deco at his peak, Carlos Alberto was an exciting new talent (although he didn't live up to the hype) and they had a fantastic CB pairing in Ricardo Carvalho and Jorge Costa, with Victor Baía as GK. No spring chicken there.
They were lucky enough not to get another team of the same caliber as a Man United in the final, as Monaco didn't have much exciting talent other than a young Patrice Evra, Giuly and Morientes.

To be fair, I think winning in 2010 with Inter was more of a challenge because they had to face Barça and got a bit ripped off at the Camp Nou (the Busquets incident) and still managed to go through, then they faced an already strong Bayern.
But then again, he had a very strong squad in Inter too, which he inherited from Mancini and had a great defensive spine, just the way he likes it.

I may be biased against the man, I admit. But I really don't think he's as special as he thinks he is. No problem if he wants to deflect attention from his players by being a daft cunt, I just don't approve of his methods. I cannot stomach such hypocrisy, his irresponsible statements (one of which made that Swedish ref retire with death threats on him), and so on. The list is long. As successful as Mourinho is, or as much as he may mellow over the years, to me he will still be that same bellend eye-gouging Tito Vilanova on the touchline.

Something i didn't like at all was his Obvious dig at Guardiola at the BBC "championship" interview Saturday.
He said something along the line of: "i like a challenge, so i came back to England where it's very hard to become champion, unlike others who go to more easy leagues where they play champion every season". Why say something like this on the very day that you've won a trophy. I guess that is the secret of champions...but i would not like to be like that...

Something i didn't like at all was his Obvious dig at Guardiola at the BBC "championship" interview Saturday.
He said something along the line of: "i like a challenge, so i came back to England where it's very hard to become champion, unlike others who go to more easy leagues where they play champion every season". Why say something like this on the very day that you've won a trophy. I guess that is the secret of champions...but i would not like to be like that...

He's just not a very 'big' man. He's petty, vindictive and nasty. Lacks any real class or gravitas.

But this sport we love is a hotbed for those traits, so it's hardly surprising that one of the most successful managers shares them. I deride time wasting, injury faking, cynical fouling but Jose has used it to literally win Champions Leagues. At some point I hope I'll get over it and appreciate it, rather than resenting it!

I wonder what kind of squad Mourinho will put out against Liverpool. Even if the first XI play, I wonder about their hunger. Now that the league is won.

Teams fighting for Europa League and CL will be watching closely.

Who knows, maybe a Chelsea with no handbrakes could be even more dangerous?

I wonder what kind of squad Mourinho will put out against Liverpool. Even if the first XI play, I wonder about their hunger. Now that the league is won.

Teams fighting for Europa League and CL will be watching closely.

Who knows, maybe a Chelsea with no handbrakes could be even more dangerous?

I think we would play full attacking. I am pretty sure we will get some young players on the line up too. Mourinho would most likely be experimenting with new tactics and formation.

My question was meant rhetoric, i thought it was because of the ridiculous rivalry between both clubs.

If it isn't: i'm sorry.

Gerd: nothing to do with rivalry in this case. If it had been another team in fifth I'd be wishing for Chelsea to beat that team.

Sky Sports's banter.

10984479_831373816931222_9043650782545699454_n.jpg

It's kind of true though. The Professor went to a league where he would have had to experience a crisis to finish second and it would have been utterly unfathomable for Bayern to finish 3rd. Even then before he joined they had orchestrated the signing of Goetze and the negotiations with (or "tapping up" of) Lewandowski, thereby ensuring Bayern's only real rival would be crippled over the Guardiola's first and second summers in Germany.

To me it's an honest statement, you can say the quality of top of the Premier League isn't maybe as good as the top 2 and a half in Spain or the top one in Germany, but in Spain you know that it will be a miracle if the top three positions don't contain Barca and Real and in Germany you know the same is true of Bayern. If you join Barca or Real you have a 40% chance of winning the league, if you join Bayern you have a 95% chance of winning the league (and if you haven't won it by Easter you're under par).

It may well be true, but it is a classless thing to do and certainly at that moment (i.e. the title winning interview).

Most of what he says is on the whole true, but saying it out load make him a dick.

If you see an obese person you don't go upto them and say they are fat, it is true they are fat, but there is no need to say anything. It is rude and disrespectful for no reason also.

Back
Top Bottom