Chelsea Thread

Give any Belgian (or Dutch or Portugese or Danish or Swedish or...) the spending power of Arsenal and then we talk...

Lami, with all respect, but i'm a litle bit tired that this argument is only used for Chelsea and Manchester City and not for the other big English teams in relation to other teams who are traditionally bigger teams then all those English teams...

When the EPL with all it's money started, Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Steaua were at least as big as Man Utd and bigger than all the other English clubs except Liverpool...that argument is never used.

Chelsea and Man City have the spending power they have...

I'm all for fair competition,, but really fair competition, not a competition where fair-play is restored with the situation before the emergence of Abramovich and Mansour....Really fair competition is a competition where all clubs from all leagues have the same spending power. The only way that is not an illusion is with an NBA-like super league, but this would kill grass roots football...i'm not so sure if i would want this...

The day some Arab sheik or some Russian oligarch takes over Man Utd, you will stop complaining Lami (no offense meant).

Why would I be offended mate? I'm not really complaining too. Was just responding to his dig at Arsenal, and only mentioned Arsenal because he did. If he'd said Norwich I would've said the same.

And I'm totally with you on this fair-financial-play thing. I never liked this sugar daddy business. It's ruined football for me. And don't really want any sugar daddy taking over United. In fact, I want them all out of football. But that won't happen. So I guess only hope is having some sort of buy/salary caps.

I think you're being one dimensional about it Ryan. I'm not saying you're wrong about the top 3 being much closer, you're actually right about that according to statistics.

As for Tottenham excuse me for using the following stereotype, but... "Tottenham are nothing without Bale these days" IMO they're only as consistent as Bale performances, although they have a quality team, most of the time he'll be the one bailing em out.

I think same as you !

I think Mou left a sinking ship , and hop unto another floating ship w/o many folks questioning it. Like James Bond jumping off a burning building and landing on a moving bus w/o notice. Once again he lands a job w/ a strong squad and less egos. He is not special anymore and surely not as arrogant either, thx to RM's found you out project.

ManCity has a more mature squad and Mou is going to be surprise imo the difference w/ a younger squad. Its all fickle really , look at save again Martinez landing Everton and now talking about cl spot . Another 007 eh? I think July 1st is the official opening day for contracts.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Chelsea, particularly with Hazard, Mata and Oscar with Schurrle coming in. Oscar doesn't strike me as a Jose type player so he might make way. And what with Lampard? He's past it imo, but will be interesting to see how he is used. For me, Chelsea didn't need Shurrie, they need a striker and CMs and perhaps a CB

Malouda/Turnbull/Hilario/Ferreira/Benayoun all released...

Premier League retained and released lists HERE

he got payed £80,000 a week for a whole year for doing fuck all, i don't think he'll be too displeased.

Surely beach, Man Utd must have had some bench warmers too...i don't know why people laugh with players like Cudicini and Malouda.
Malouda was fantastic under Ancelotti, but afterwards he was past his prime...

De Bruynes best position is AMF aminken.
But in his bias beach is blind: Moses is a winger. Hazard can play everywhere in midfield and also as a winger/smf.
Lampard can also play as a CMF or a DMF (although imo he is not that good in that position).

De Bruyne can play DMF, CMF, AMF, SMF (both left and right) and winger (also both left and right).

If i'm not mistaken Mata played SMF/winger with Valencia.

I'm also not so sure if Oscar can only play as an AMF...

And Schurrle...can't he play as a forward or winger too ?

So what Chelsea has is a bunch of extremely talented and very versatile and intelligent players (hence all the position changes last season)...now all they need is balance in the team and a couple of good CB's (and they need at least two of them).

Chelsea could potentially play like United did very, very briefly in 08/09 - where the entire front 4 have no fixed positions and can roam about how they like:

United 08/09:
-Nani---Rooney--Ronaldo-
---------Tevez----------

Chelsea 13/14
-Mata--Oscar-Hazard-Schurrle

Not sure who plays up top - but they'll be as effective as Torres!

Chelsea could potentially play like United did very, very briefly in 08/09 - where the entire front 4 have no fixed positions and can roam about how they like:

United 08/09:
-Nani---Rooney--Ronaldo-
---------Tevez----------

Chelsea 13/14
-Mata--Oscar-Hazard-Schurrle

Not sure who plays up top - but they'll be as effective as Torres!

Schurrle has been regarded as a fairly talented ST as well as LM

Yeah Schurrle would be the striker if they did play that formation. The only thing about fielding a team of him, Mata, Oscar, Hazard especially with also Ramieres and full backs like Cole and Alpizcueta is that there is very little height in the team. You could end up with 3 outfield players (two centerbacks and the other DM (Luiz?)) trying to pick up all the opposition players when defending corners.

Yeah Schurrle would be the striker if they did play that formation. The only thing about fielding a team of him, Mata, Oscar, Hazard especially with also Ramieres and full backs like Cole and Alpizcueta is that there is very little height in the team. You could end up with 3 outfield players (two centerbacks and the other DM (Luiz?)) trying to pick up all the opposition players when defending corners.

Wow, that'd be such a change from Chelsea in their dominant best - I remember seeing them live and they were huge.

The entire team was at or greater than 6 feet tall, funny how times change!

Barca did alright and they had only Pique over 6ft ;)

Chelsea just realised it's biggest transfer this year (no matter what happens unless they buy Messi): Kevin De Bruyne will play for them next season.

I'm writing this without the slightest hint of irony. He is by far the most important and best player of our national team.

Back
Top Bottom