Chelsea Thread

As others have pointed out:

He'll spend > 100m pounds, win a couple of trophies and bugger off in 3 years time having left the squad in ruins.

I genuinely can't see anything else happening. But maybe the couple of trophies are worth it.

If Abramovich let's Jose spend like I'm expecting, Chelsea have to be favourites for the title this season. They already have the 2nd if not best squad in the league and I'm sure a lot of new players will be walking into Stamford Bridge.

Should be an exciting premier league season if nothing else. I'm 100% sure that Jose will be picking away at Moyes within 5 minutes of being near a microphone. And Pelligrini within 6.

"one of you" is back!

He'll spend > 100m pounds, win a couple of trophies and bugger off in 3 years time having left the squad in ruins.

this is chelsea's season right after he left

Premier League 2nd
FA Cup Sixth round
League Cup Runners-up
FA Community Shield Runners-up
UEFA Champions League Runners-up

thought you're much more sensible than to post sth like this, beach. I just copy-pasted that info from wiki.

thought you're much more sensible than to post sth like this, beach. I just copy-pasted that info from wiki.

I know, I just thought it was funny they included a runners up mention in a 'competition' of two ;)

Listen, I like Jose - I wanted him to be United's manager. But there is a pattern to his career, and enough data points to make a decent guess as to what will happen this time.

I do think Chelsea will win the league or come second this season. I'm not convinced they'll do that well in Europe, but we'll see. And I'm very confident Jose will piss off at least 80% of the country within 2 weeks :)

Maybe this is a new, mellower and more amicable Jose - but certainly the last 6 months don't suggest that. He's a winner at any cost, which can be admirable but can also make things tough in the medium term.

I agree with Beach that Mourinho is a coach who delivers in the short term, but kind of destroys a team in the long term.
And amineken, you conceded that you have the same doubts about Mourinho and Chelsea than i did...

As others have pointed out:

I genuinely can't see anything else happening. But maybe the couple of trophies are worth it.

If Abramovich let's Jose spend like I'm expecting, Chelsea have to be favourites for the title this season. They already have the 2nd if not best squad in the league and I'm sure a lot of new players will be walking into Stamford Bridge.

Should be an exciting premier league season if nothing else. I'm 100% sure that Jose will be picking away at Moyes within 5 minutes of being near a microphone. And Pelligrini within 6.

I think he'll find it much tougher to begin with honestly and if he comes through that he'll find success and unlike last time I suspect he'll stay for a while, he doesn't have SAF to compete with, City will be a challenge but they'll have a revolving door and Roman will be a little more patient after hiring and firing everyone already.

I think the picture speaks for itself, only Carlo came close to his points per game ratio. His time with club coincides with a lot of EPL records.

I've said it before, Mourinho's first Chelsea side was the most dominant English side I've seen in my 20 odd years of following the prem. It was utterly unstoppable, build on a ridiculous defence and could guarantee a goal a game. Robben and Duff flanking Drogba/Gudjohnsen, Lampard, Makele and Essien in the middle and the best back 3 (and Ferreira) in the prem.

It was also a bad time for United and Arsenal, as both struggled to get used to the sudden Abramovich spending.

I've said it before, Mourinho's first Chelsea side was the most dominant English side I've seen in my 20 odd years of following the prem. It was utterly unstoppable, build on a ridiculous defence and could guarantee a goal a game. Robben and Duff flanking Drogba/Gudjohnsen, Lampard, Makele and Essien in the middle and the best back 3 (and Ferreira) in the prem.

It was also a bad time for United and Arsenal, as both struggled to get used to the sudden Abramovich spending.

spot on! having players where the bench was as good as the ones on the pitch. Essien /Drogba were made of iron/steel!

Mourinho needs to sign a lot more players to make Chelsea consistent in the League. The current team does not have that consistency which Man Utd/Man City have shown in the last 2 seasons.

Will be interesting who he'll be signing.

That United team...ouch. O'Shea and Fletcher in the middle. Silvestre and aged Gary Neville as full backs. Saha up front.

Good demonstration of how Chelsea's spending forced United to get class players all over the park. Looking at the two line-ups now is striking.

We were on a decent run at the time too! Chelsea definitely contributed heavily to pushing us on to be the best in Europe in 08'. Chelsea were a machine and United and Arsenal weren't, things are different today, both United and City can be given that label and this Chelsea side needs some work more so than the side he inherited for Ranieri.

Mourinho has been interested in him for a few years.

Good finisher but a terribly mediocre footballer. Can't trap a bag of cement.

Cavani is Mourinho's 'wet dream' striker. Him and one Mourinho type DMF would make a rock solid unit in Chelsea.

10363_10151632381394127_1694677191_n.jpg

I think the picture speaks for itself, only Carlo came close to his points per game ratio. His time with club coincides with a lot of EPL records.
That statistic dont mention how the EPL is now a lot more competitive than it was during Mourinho's first era, dont mention transfer budgets,etc. Numbers without a proper analysis and a context have no use.

United and Arsenal were quite far behind Chelsea in 05, iirc Utd finished 3rd that year a long way behind Chelsea

The top 3-5 teams are closer now than they were then

He said more competitive.

But even if we're going to talk about better, I don't think bringing up Everton finishing above Liverpool or talking about Villa is an argument either way.

I wasn't using them as arguments, just describing how times changed...

IMO the league is soooo much more competitive at the top than when Chelsea first dominated. United's team is a completely different beast, now stocked with 2 class players everywhere (except central midfield), Sheikh Mansour had to realise he was a lifelong City fan, Tottenham were inconsistent at best.

The only kind of similar state was Arsenal - which at that time had aging great players and some real talent coming through, but hadn't quite sorted it out.

United, City, Tottenham of today would easily dominate their corresponding teams from the 05/06 era.

And it's important to note that is largely BECAUSE of Abramovich's spending. No team in the English league had ever been that stocked with class - but because of that the English top teams grew stronger.

And unfortunately all the smaller teams have become weaker.

Give Arsenal your spending power then we talk.

Give any Belgian (or Dutch or Portugese or Danish or Swedish or...) the spending power of Arsenal and then we talk...

Lami, with all respect, but i'm a litle bit tired that this argument is only used for Chelsea and Manchester City and not for the other big English teams in relation to other teams who are traditionally bigger teams then all those English teams...

When the EPL with all it's money started, Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Steaua were at least as big as Man Utd and bigger than all the other English clubs except Liverpool...that argument is never used.

Chelsea and Man City have the spending power they have...

I'm all for fair competition,, but really fair competition, not a competition where fair-play is restored with the situation before the emergence of Abramovich and Mansour....Really fair competition is a competition where all clubs from all leagues have the same spending power. The only way that is not an illusion is with an NBA-like super league, but this would kill grass roots football...i'm not so sure if i would want this...

The day some Arab sheik or some Russian oligarch takes over Man Utd, you will stop complaining Lami (no offense meant).

Back
Top Bottom