Chelsea Thread

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding concerning Benitez. I think a lot of people both fans and pundits are just so biased that they refuse to see anything else. People complain that Rafa had negative football, but his teams were not necessarily negative in the sense that they were not like Otto Rehagel's Greece of Euro 2004. They had a high pressing game. If anyone watched Rafa's Valencia team which won La Liga twice beating Real/Barca, they were not negative, but incredibly effective.
At Liverpool he took on a team that were on a downward spiral with Houllier who was a known negative footballing manager. Rafa's main thing is to win games, and at times he sets up his teams to be more defensive, but he does not park the bus like Hodgson/Houllier/Greece. He is a practical manager, but he does get his teams to play some good stuff, not like Barca or the old Milan for sure. But his teams were quick, effective, and defended for their lives when needed. He did not believe in pretty passing for the sake of it. His goal was to win games with maximum efficiency, with as few passes as possible to get Gerrard/Torres in action.

Even the great Mourinho who played so much counter-attack/negative football even with Inter was as negative as Rafa
at times. Anyone remember Inter's counter-attacking master-class against Bayern and their 1:0 park-the-bus-win against Barca.

Also regarding his man-management skills, he does not pamper the egos of the big players. Read this article from Dietmar Hamann former Germany international, who is well respected.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...z-to-win-the-Premier-League-with-Chelsea.html

I think Rafa may surprise you guys. It all depends on how much the team will adapt to him. If the players respect him and work for him, then Chelsea will seriously be close to the Title this year.

Last edited:
That season Liverpool had the second best "goals conceded", losing two league games and best goal difference. Or are you just picking the one game that suits your agenda?

Actually I chose the worst defense for Liverpool on 2008-09 for analysis.

realy embarrassing, i can´t help myself..i love Rafa for all he has done for the team on and off the pitch, but i hope this club never wins again...what a bunch of idiotic banners around the pitch..

if they are against the decision, they shouldn´t buy a ticket...this is just laughable.. Abramovic doesn´t care for some paper signs.. but for money..

oh well, i would rather support LFC in sunday league than to say i support this club..

Chelsea fans, why did'nt you put "Abramovich out" ??? He is the one who sacked your favourite manager Di Matteo ? It was not Rafa who got him sacked ? It was your fickle owner who wants perfection.

Bunch of hypocrites these Chelsea fans.
Of course they will never say "Abramovich out" because then they won't have the money to spend.

Rafa for all his shortcomings has been one of the top managers of the last 10 years, and Chelsea fans should be glad they did not get someone like Hodgson !!

I really don't understand this, he didn't at that point manage one game for chelsea and they want him out already? imagine he won use the league, how views would change, not his fault RDM got sacked, it was abram, if anything you fans should be calling for him to leave than rafa. no wonder it's becoming harder for chelsea to find managers, fans and owners just have no respect at times.

Liverpool fans just using Rafa as a stick to beat Chelsea with. There was no outcry from Liverpool fans when he left LFC after having begun its most recent decline.

Liverpool fans just using Rafa as a stick to beat Chelsea with. There was no outcry from Liverpool fans when he left LFC after having begun its most recent decline.

are you one of those fans who start loving chelsea on 2005.... than started to love city from last year ? whats next ? P$G ?

Ha, sometimes it's really inevitable that the language barrier causes this kind of misunderstandings. I'm sure he didn't get the gist of your previous post, hence the stupid response.

Liverpool fans have a strange obsessive messiah complex with Benitez, although that doesn't excuse Chelsea fans, who have gone from supporting a racist to wanting a manager out before a ball's been kicked under him.

It's hilarious entertainment for those of us who have little love for either club.

at least we're loyal unlike most LFC & MU fans whom switched alliance to the opposition at the first downfall.

:LMAO:

I wonder how many current Chelsea fans were Chelsea fans before Abramovic arrived. How many foreign fans had even HEARD of Chelsea before Abramovic took over?

Best fans ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you feel if you had such a devoted boss? The guy spent almost a Billion from his pocket just to see the club win some silverware, and will spend more just to keep the club on top, but it's not really about the money here; Abra is a passionate guy something you can't really say about the rest of the "Big Teams" presidents/owners, sure he does what ever he wants, but each decision is in the club best interests, whether you/we agree or not.

So what i basically understood from all of these posts: is that you peoples envy us for having unlimited spending budget, silly indeed.

We might be plastic fan who supports a team with no history (which is really untrue), at least we're loyal unlike most LFC & MU fans whom switched alliance to the opposition at the first downfall.

Also most of you bullied Hodgson during his spell, cried your eyes out when Dalglish was sacked, then you come here and point fingers at us for doing the same? such a hypocritical act!

Get your facts straight, Liverpool fans went against Hodgson AFTER quite a few games where they were playing like crap, and he was supporting Ferguson, saying that a 2:0 defeat at Everton was the best performance, saying that Northampton were difficult opponents, the team were playing with 10 men behind the ball, etc,... atleast we gave him some time but Hodgson kept making big mistakes.....Liverpool fans did not like him because of what Hodgson did while being Liverpool manager.

chelsea fans want Benitez out before his team even kicked a ball...that is not the same as what Liverpool fans did to Hodgson.

yeah, Rafa sucks, but Abramovich rules!

you Chelsea fans are blind or something? Abramovich does what he pleases with the club and you blame Rafa for wanting his money? lol.

Liverpool fans have a strange obsessive messiah complex with Benitez, although that doesn't excuse Chelsea fans, who have gone from supporting a racist to wanting a manager out before a ball's been kicked under him.

It's hilarious entertainment for those of us who have little love for either club.

Pretty much, its quite amusing
th_popcorncat.gif

Before i start: what i will write is not an immediate reaction to Abou's above quoted post. Only the first paragraph is. His post was the most elegant way to react to what is happening in this thread. So i shal begin by apologizing to Abou.

It's likely that i misunderstood your post (or that you are expressing yourself badly or unfortunately), but you make the same mistake as all those Liverpool fans and some Chelsea fans.

"Chelsea" does not exist.
"Chelsea fans" should be read as "the Chelsea fans holding anti-Benitez banners". I saw the match and to my knowledge there were much more fans without a banner than with a banner. So one might argue that "Chelsea fans" is about the majority: those fans who have nothing against Benitez or haven't shown anything against him.

There were also fans who supported Di Matteo, who says that they are against Raffa? They only stated that they were thankfull to Di Matteo.

Now lets talk about something that happened here in Belgium in 1985. If people had judged Liverpool then the way you guys are judging Chelsea fans now...where would Liverpool be? The club would not exist anymore.

It is very striking and very unfortunate that the fans of the club that suffered most from generalisations after Heysel and Hillsborough, are now doing exactly the same with Chelsea and their fans.

I think the behaviour of the Chelsea fans with banners is completely ridiculous in a football world where professionals work today for the club that is supposed to be the arch-rival of the club they worked for yesterday.

Wake up people: you can not demand loyalty from professional people like players and managers. People who are talking in terms of 'the club of my heart' or 'my favourite club' are idiots or liars. Don't believe them.

I wish Benitez much success with Chelsea and as a Spurs fan, i hope Chelsea can win silverware this season. I hope this post ends this stupid tribalist discussion. I've read lots of stupid posts from intelligent people who cause themselves injustice. I don't like the anti-Benitez reactions, but i like even less the way Liverpool fans are making the wrong conclusions and you are intelligent enough to realize that.

Last edited:
:LMAO:

I wonder how many current Chelsea fans were Chelsea fans before Abramovic arrived. How many foreign fans had even HEARD of Chelsea before Abramovic took over?

I first heard of Chelsea when they played the Cup final against Leeds United. I've just searched the year in google, that was 1970, i was 8 years old then. Peter Bonnetti, their goalkeeper became one of my heroes...

Did you were aware of Liverpool in 1970?

I first heard of Chelsea when they played the Cup final against Leeds United. I've just searched the year in google, that was 1970, i was 8 years old then. Peter Bonnetti, their goalkeeper became one of my heroes...

Did you were aware of Liverpool in 1970?

No, I was born in 1980 and therefore I wasn't aware of anything before I was alive.

Before i start: what i will write is not an immediate reaction to Abou's above quoted post. Only the first paragraph is. His post was the most elegant way to react to what is happening in this thread. So i shal begin by apologizing to Abou.

It's likely that i misunderstood your post (or that you are expressing yourself badly or unfortunately), but you make the same mistake as all those Liverpool fans and some Chelsea fans.

"Chelsea" does not exist.
"Chelsea fans" should be read as "the Chelsea fans holding anti-Benitez banners". I saw the match and to my knowledge there were much more fans without a banner than with a banner. So one might argue that "Chelsea fans" is about the majority: those fans who have nothing against Benitez or haven't shown anything against him.
It's just laziness on my part. Not all of the Chelsea fans were against Rafa (although there were quite a few more than I expected).

Back
Top Bottom