Chelsea Thread

Hopefully he stays but he said the prospect of AC Milan is huge.
16.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

10.jpg

19.jpg

This one is on Di Matteo.
Playing for a draw usually ends in defeat...

This said: Juventus' win was well deserved, but there was a certain amount of luck in the first two goals. Cech would have had both shots hadn't they been deflected: Quagliarella's was on purpose, so all credit to him for that goal. The second was bad luck.

Hazard should have scored early in the match. He still has to adapt to the very best of football.
Yesterday Oscar was not that good IMO, at times he played too individualistic.

Vidal and Asamoah were great yesterday.

When people go on saying RDM won the CL and FA Cup, how many matches did he actually take charge of during those cup runs?

t's one thing navigating a whole season of fixtures and winning the cups, it's another when a different manager gets to the later stages and you win the last couple of games, surely?

Not to say I agree with the sacking, by the way. It's pretty harsh and I can't see who would actually want the Chelsea job. But then we say that all the time and they still manage to get managers who want the job.

I think it's a crazy decision to get rid of Di Matteo. Chelsea have generally been ok in the League and given the lack of natural strikers they were always going to have a blip. Torres isnt the player he was 3-4 years ago (and nothing like a £50mln player) and with only Sturridge (who is an ok wide player but hopeless striker) in reserve there is simply too much pressure on the midfielders to get goals. Last year there were at least players like Drogba (who could carry the whole attack), Anelka (up to January) and even Kalou (like Sturridge more of a winger than striker, but much better at finishing).

It looks like they might go out of the CL now, the bad result for them was the first game, drawing at home to Juventus. They had this game in the bag at 2-0 but let it slip - if they had won it they would be through by now. Juventus, unlike Shaktar or Chelsea, dropped points away in Nordsjealland. I have a feeling Chelsea might still sneak into the knockouts. They should be able to beat Nordsjelleand, and so it will all depend on the result in the Ukraine. Under normal circumstances I would expect Shakhtar to beat Juventus at home fairly easily. Indeed Shakhtar were the better team in the draw in Turin. Both teams only need a draw so that seems the probable result, but I can see Shakhtar wanting to keep their good record in the Donbass Arena and not wanting to risk defeat and finishing second.

In the cups under AVB Chelsea did the following:

CL
G1 beat Leverkusen 2-0 (home)
G2 drew Valencia 1-1 (away)
G3 beat Genk 5-0 (home)
G4 drew Genk 1-1 (away)
G5 lost Leverkusen 2-1 (away)
G6 beat Valencia 3-0 (home)
R1 lost Napoli 3-1 (away)

FA Cup
R3 - beat Portsmouth 4-0 (home)
R4 - beat QPR 1-0 (away)
R5 - drew Birmingham 1-1 (home)

Under Di Matteo

CL
R1 - beat Napoli 3-1* (home) *(4-1 after ET)
R2 - beat Benfica 1-0 (away)
R2 - beat Benfica 2-1 (home)
R3 - beat Barcelona 1-0 (home)
R3 - drew Barcelona 2-2 (away)
FL - drew Bayern Mun 1-1* (neutral / away) *(won on shootout)

FA Cup
R5 - beat Birmingham 2-0 (away) replay
R6 - beat Leicester 5-2 (home)
SF - beat Spurs 5-1 (neutral venue)
FL - beat Liverpool 2-1 (neutral venue)

That's very harsh, I'm sorry but feck working for Roman A.

I'm wondering if there's starting to show a sign that this club is going to go to pot soon as he's got his CL and EPL, just wondering if he'll in the not so distant future pull the plug.

FD

IMO Abramovich was harsh on Ancelotti, Mourinho and perhaps Scolari, but not on Di Matteo.

Di Matteo made lots of mistakes.

Of course the biggest mistake was to go through with him after the CL win...

What a joke!!

Apart from a few recent games which is nothing and every team goes through in a LONG season, Di Matteo was doing a good job!

First coach to win them Champion's League after 10 years of trying including with guys like Mourinho, AMAZING start to the season, Chelsea Legend who knows the club well and this is how you repay him.

This is BEYOND being impatient! This is like being an immature petulant child.

Fuck Roman and Fuck Chelsea! I just lost even more respect for them!

Board Members & Executives: Hey boss, we sacked our 30th gaffe...huh?
Roman: What you mean their hundreds of gaffers
Board Members & Executives : Most of the top ones are working though.
Roman: Find me a gaffer by the end of the business day!
Board Members & Executives: .... what about the gaffer that talks w/ facts? I heard he lives in a hotel near Anfield hoping to return there, a real dreamer.
Executives: That`s it! a dreamer gaffer for a dreamer Owner! with FACTS!
Board Members & Executives: ring, ring

Hotel Anfield:
Hello?
Board Members & Executives: Do me a favour love, fetch me Rafa!
Hotel Anfield: Thank God!

As usual i don't agree with the general feeling about all this.
It is ture that Chelsea doesn't have enough patience with coaches (Ancelloti, Mourinho, AVB and maybe even Scolari).
On the other hand: Chelsea won the CL under Di Matteo, and while they had more merit in it than people give them credit for, they still had a fair amount of luck and won the CL with a brand of football which isn't very attractive.
The big mistake was that Di Matteo could continue.
IMO Chelsea had a disastrous transfer window. Am i totally mad? Maybe. But buying players like Marin (never used), Hazard (i love him), Oscar (he's fantastic) and others is all very good, but they never had any balance in that team.
People always talk about Hazard-Mata-Oscar, and yes they are a joy to watch. Meanwhile Chelsea was weak defensively (look at the match against United and the way United scored the first two goals, that was shocking defending) and could not score goals.
Mikel (who yesterday had a good match, with a pass ratio of 89%) is IMO not good enough. Terry is getting old, Luiz still is a liability, Ivanovic is too slow. That leaves two decent defensive minded players: Cole (world class, arguably the best LB in the world) and Ramirez (fantastic player, but can you consider him a real defensive player? To me he is more CM than a DMF).

On top of that: they don't have a striker.

A team that concedes too much goals and has difficulties scoring goals, is a bad team. Chelsea was overachieving at the beginning of the season.

If they were overachieving, why sack Di Matteo? IMO the team was overachieving despite DM and not because of him.

As a manager he should have seen what happened during the transfer window...either he is responsible for the thransfers or he has no influence on them. In both cases he is a bad manager.

There are rumours that Benitez will be Chelsea's next manager. I'm not so sure about him. There is this story that benitez has fallen out with one of his assistents and that since then he hasn't achieved anything....

The coach Chelsea need is Pep Guardiola. Jurgen Klopp wouldn't be too bad either.

Chelsea have won 10 trophies in 8 seasons with Romans approach of hiring and firing.

Arsenal stick to Arsene and have won how many trophies in that same period?

Managers like Ferguson are a phenomenon. Chelsea had a winning manager potentially as great as Alex in Jose but got rid. Maybe Roman is quick to swing the axe but it works for him and gets his team trophies. He can afford to bankroll these changes and squads. Until the financial fair play laws stop him applying these methods, this pattern will continue.

Then again, players are bought and sold sometimes in the space of one or two seasons and that's not considered sensational or as dramatic as when mangers are dismissed and then hired at other clubs.

Its true about Arsenal/Wenger since you mentioned it. I wouldn`t compare Arsenal and Chelsea as far as trophies n circus axing of gaffers. You have a model that changes for success w/o limits to funds and another club that build a new stadium , both achieving success .

As much as I would love trophies I think stability is vital. Roman could get sick or bugger off. Chelsea would have a great memory of trophies. 8 yrs is long enough I would of thought Arsenal would have more trophies than Liverpool by now , Oh well!

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
Rafa Benitez has boarded a plane bound for Heathrow. He arrives very late tonight. Next stop #CFC.

I'll be really disappointed if he goes to Chelsea. The fans are hardly clamoring for him, I believe spent a whole match just abusing him last season, and gave him ridiculous abuse during his Liverpool days. And now they're expected to take to him as manager?

http://twitpic.com/bf3cku

That's football for you.

I think Benitez is an excellent manager when he has a lot of time to prepare for major matches, and one thing to focus on. I don't think he (despite his rotater title) that he's the guy to fight on multiple fronts.

People point towards his two great achievements post-Valencia - when LFC won the CL (played reserves before all of those matches as the league didn't matter at all) and when LFC once came close to winning the league - and had a very high point total. My caveat to that one is (from memory) LFC played against 10 men in no less than 11 matches that season. I know it's not their 'fault' that people kept trying to assault Xabi Alonso - but perhaps that explains the success of that season in isolation to his others.

Still give it time - all this fun CFC have been having with great football and 3 interchanging AMFs will soon be replaced by rigidity, solidity and lump it to Torres tactics.

Chelsea have won 10 trophies in 8 seasons with Romans approach of hiring and firing.

This is hilarious. Yes, Chelsea have won 10 trophies in the last 8 years, Arsenal none and so forth.

Chelsea have also lost almost a £1bn in that time, whereas Arsenal have had to make a profit.

Methinks that might have as much to do with as the managers.

Racing Genk last year made a profit of 28 million euro's and has no debts at all.
Think about that.

That is an example for FFP, not all those massive English clubs.

This is hilarious. Yes, Chelsea have won 10 trophies in the last 8 years, Arsenal none and so forth.

Chelsea have also lost almost a £1bn in that time, whereas Arsenal have had to make a profit.

Methinks that might have as much to do with as the managers.

I see you choose to only quote my first sentence. Did you read all my post?

I did also state that this method of success is bankrolled by Roman and financial fair play is all that will stop him doing his dealings this way.

I consider Arsenals philosophy far more appealing and true to supporters. I would also much prefer to have Arsene running my club with his boards backing than Romans 'give it me yesterday' demands.

Back
Top Bottom