Chelsea Thread

chelsea have a loooong way to go.

people should remember Chelsea great start in league under Luis Scolarez and Ancelotti but never won the PL.

We'll get a better picture come december. I think quite a bit rests on whether or not Oscar is a Robinho (ie. fairweather home player)

and whether Roman buys someone like Falcao

definitely. Oscar, at that age, is one of the smartest players I've ever seen, Robinho was/is still like a clown comparing to him. the other English clubs will very soon envy Chelsea for having him, if not at the moment.

Chelsea's 'new' base is brilliant and i think it's similar to last year with City, I thought it was a season 'too soon' but they proved me wrong.

I think in terms of cover their and numbers their quite light and Fernando Torres as your only real striking option isn't the best.

definitely. Oscar, at that age, is one of the smartest players I've ever seen, Robinho was/is still like a clown comparing to him. the other English clubs will very soon envy Chelsea for having him, if not at the moment.

agree with this. Oscar will prove excellent buy.

I never like Robinho. Everything that is wrong with football players today IMO.

Well, mentality and attitude are THE most important thing so I agree with with Gerd that comparing him to Robinho is extremely unfair.

In terms of attitude and temperament, not to mention position, Oscar is much more like Kaka than Robinho and so I expect him to go a lot further as well just as Kaka did compared to Robinho.

What is wrong with AVB?
I rather like Chelsea, but i think AVB has every reason to feel wrong done by Abramovich.
When he came in as a manager het got an aging and difficult dressing room with a two star strikers whou couldn't play together.
He never got support from the boardroom.
The only mistake AVB made was accepting Chelsea's offer, but one will never know what was initially promised to him. Don't you think that in the end AVB got proven right if you consider all the players that left Stamford Bridge and all the new arrivals. This is the squad AVB should have got.

But even now, can one understand Chelsea's transfer 'policy'? Why buy Torres when you've got Drogba? And more recently: why buy players like Marin? He never plays and is rarely on the bench. Why in the first place buy him?

Brilliant MotM performance by Mata, he just won the game on his own. Meanwhile, Torres, apart from his well-executed long passes, just played woeful. And long passing is of course not an essential part of a striker's game. Sad for the lad but Chelsea have no choice but go after a real striker in the winter transfer window.

Mata was phenomenal, but i have to say that Oscar kid is also one very calm and smart player for his age...

Mata was phenomenal, but i have to say that Oscar kid is also one very calm and smart player for his age...

Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Marin and Lampard to come in if needed. Such a quality attacking midfield.

If they had a better striker, there'd be little hope for the rest of the league.

i think the presence of Torres gives space to score for Mata and others.. doesn´t matter if he can´t finish...today there was a great partnership between him and Mata.. he was very unlucky not to score and he often can keep the posession very good...

maybe the reason Chelsea players score is also becouse of Torres usefullness in non scoring striker ability´s :)

but i´m very impressed by Mata today.. he makes it look simple..and that´s what makes a player superstar..

Yeah I think this Chelsea team will work best with a 'footballing' forward rather than a poacher, I'd try to get Villa in the window if they could get him for a decent price or someone of his ilk.

Mata is back now great. Torres is pretty inconsistent. He sometimes play good sometimes bad. We better need Falcao in January in-order to be in UCL. Torres->Falcao trade plus few million pounds will be a nice transfer.

Mata is back now great. Torres is pretty inconsistent. He sometimes play good sometimes bad. We better need Falcao in January in-order to be in UCL. Torres->Falcao trade plus few million pounds will be a nice transfer.

Jesus, FFP clearly not a worry at the bridge? That 1 year old most expensive striker in English history? Let's break that record, on top of the >£100m we've already spent in the past 12 months.

Breaking even by 2012. Bwahahahahahaha.

But yes, obviously, whoever buys Falcao will have the best striker on the planet. And I'd imagine it really is between PSG, City and Chelsea - if you ain't got a Sugar Daddy you ain't got a chance!

My bet is Falcao will be gone to Real in winter or at the end of the season. I think Real will make some cash for him by selling Higuain or Benzema (or both) to those sugar-daddy clubs.

Tbh, it's just me who doesn't want to see a striker like Falcao going to EPL. Would be very good to see him with Juventus or Real imo.

Jesus, FFP clearly not a worry at the bridge? That 1 year old most expensive striker in English history? Let's break that record, on top of the >£100m we've already spent in the past 12 months.

Breaking even by 2012. Bwahahahahahaha.

But yes, obviously, whoever buys Falcao will have the best striker on the planet. And I'd imagine it really is between PSG, City and Chelsea - if you ain't got a Sugar Daddy you ain't got a chance!

Real and Barcelona will have something to say about that.

I'm very fond of Falcao and wouldn't mind him in EPL, don't really care if it's Chelsea or City...I would rather like to see him with Chelsea to be honest. They need him more than Man Utd needed Van Persie.
Ferguson already had fantastic forwards in Chicharito, Rooney and Berbatov...yet nobody is complaining about Van Persie's move to United...strange.

Or Spurs signing Lloris when they had Friedel, Comes and Cudicini.

Friedel is 40 years old (and as a matter of fact, i think he's older than that)...no then you certainly don't need another goalkeeper. Oh and you forgot to mention Gomes...

But that is not the point, now that i've "attacked" the whole tribe will counterattack. I have nothing against United buying Van Persie. I don't see why people should have something against Chelsea buying Falcao, most people will agree that they need him more than United needed Van Persie (there is pretty much talk that Ferguson instead should have bought a central midfielder, even United fans who are a litle bit objective might agree with that). But once again: good luck to United with Van Persie and vice versa.

My point was that the outrage is very selective.

And about Chelsea: they are a joy to watch this season, ask any neutral fan and they will agree. Give them a good CF and they win the EPL with a margin of 15 points.

Well if you actually read beach's post, his point was about FFP, not whether Chelsea needed him or not.

Don't let that stop you putting in another dull, pointless jibe at Man Utd.

Well if you actually read beach's post, his point was about FFP, not whether Chelsea needed him or not.

Don't let that stop you putting in another dull, pointless jibe at Man Utd.

I don't think your post about Spurs' GK was really about FFP...but that's ok by me.

To be honest with you, when i first read Beach's post i had no idea what he meant with "FFP", it's only now that i realize that he's talking about Financial Fair-Play.

About FFP: i'm all for it. Real financial fair-play, where every league gets the same amount of television money, no matter how big the audience that can watch that league. For big clubs fans, talking about FFP is simply asking to stop having more clubs like Chelsea, Malaga, PSG and City. For me it's more than that.

I'm all for real fair-play, where a club like Porto can win the CL and then continue with the same squad...if you want to know the long version of what i think about it, you should read the piece i wrote about the CL in the blog thread.

the man utd supporter not happy that chelsea and city spend big on players they are jealous just ignore them Gerd. when they were spending huge amounts on player like Berbatov and Ferdinand it was ok but now City and Chelsea come along to spoil the party they dont like it.

the man utd supporter not happy that chelsea and city spend big on players they are jealous just ignore them Gerd. when they were spending huge amounts on player like Berbatov and Ferdinand it was ok but now City and Chelsea come along to spoil the party they dont like it.

You put it a lilte bit too simple, but that is a litle bit my gripe (and not only with Man Utd fans).
People talk about Financial Fair Play, but at best they have the same notion about FFP as UEFA. If i remember well some people even said Platini was anti-English. They stopped saying that when teams like City, Chelsea, PSG, Malaga, Anzhi and the other Russian teams started spending really big. But (some of) the people who are now always talking about FFP where against it initially (and to be fair, Beachryan isn't one of them, but he just doesn't like Chelsea that much, i can't live with that and i like discussing with him...).

FFP should be much more thorough than what UEFA wants now, but it's a start....

This is such a lazy argument, I'm not even going to address it. If you can't see the difference between spending £40m once every 2 or 3 seasons and spending £140m in one 12 month period, there's no point in having a discussion.

It comes down to this: do you believe a league can exist whereby some teams have break even to survive, while other teams are able to lose as much money as they want.

I don't think that's a league.

For the record, I believe football is fundamentally broken, but that football fans suck too much to ever put enough pressure on the bodies in power to actually fix the sport.

Finally, make no mistake, United are hanging on by the skin of Ferguson's teeth. In one or two more seasons the only two teams able to compete for the EPL title will be the two that lose literally hundreds of millions of pounds each year. Every other team - Arsenal, Spurs, United, Liverpool - will form a mini league of their own. It'll be sugar daddies and everyone else.

Maybe then people will hate United a bit less.

This is such a lazy argument, I'm not even going to address it.

You just did :P

I dont mean offence with it friend. I just think that sugar daddies have made football a bit more interesting...

otherwise you and arsenal would have kept winning the league until now and PL (which is my favourite league in world right now) would have become stale like La Liga and Scottish league.

You just did :P

I dont mean offence with it friend. I just think that sugar daddies have made football a bit more interesting...

otherwise you and arsenal would have kept winning the league until now and PL (which is my favourite league in world right now) would have become stale like La Liga and Scottish league.

I agree that United's dominance is boring. I wish it wasn't the case. A league victory should be a once in 20 years kind of thing - the perfect combination of squad and luck that takes ages to get right. But mostly because of the sheer ability of Ferguson and Wenger - things were a bit boring for a while. Remember that Liverpool came within a meltdown of winning the league, as have Newcastle.

But I can't believe that the answer to one exceptional manager's dominance is to de-stabilise the entire league. When United were winning in the early 00's - they didn't even have the highest wage bills. In fact, there were 4-5 teams each year with very similar wages being paid in the prem.

In another season or so, City and Chelsea will both be spending (they might be ther ealready, records aren't available for 11/12 yet) more than £50m on wages than any other team. The amount they'll be spending more than the 3rd place team (presumably United, though Arsenal have high wages too) will be as high as other teams' entire budget.

And it'll show on the pitch. It'll take a little while, but within 2 seasons (personally I think it'll happen this year) Chelsea and City will be > 15 points above everyone else.

Beach, United dominance over Liverpool, Arsenal and maybe Spurs are because of the genius of Ferfuson.
United being still better than Chelsea and City is a fantastic achievement.

United dominance over the rest of the league is the result of what is wrong with football: the uneven division of money. You are a very intelligent person and one of the best posters on this forum and from what i know about you i really like you. But i can't understand that you can't see that Man Utd have an unfair advantage towards the rest of the EPL and English football clubs.

Concerning te future: Russian clubs will dominate European football until the richest Asian clubs will participate in the CL and then the CL will be won by Chinese, Russian and Gulf teams. Every now and then underdogs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and the odd English team will win it, but they will immediately loose all their best players...

I long for the time when clubs like Nottingham, Derby and Everton ( i even think Ipswich once won it) could win the league...

On the other hand: football has never been as spectacular as now...

Back
Top Bottom